Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

My box of ants arrived today and I can't wait for work to end so I open it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Finally got to play Brass Brum. Still haven't played the original, so I'm looking forward to trying it out sometime. I do like the logistics and the planning required to price things correctly for a beer setup and sale during the rail era. One of the people I played it with had a ton of brass experience but prefers this one due to the less scripted openings. I'll have to see, because that still sounds like Agricola vs. Caverna to me. Same person also asserted they prefer Y&Y over T&E and I assume it's for the same reason, the feeling of having more options even if you might not actually have them.

I don't think I'd willingly play it over R&B or Neuland given the choice. The rules overhead is high and I had to ask several times what the icons were about. It also gives you too many resources, so it doesn't have the same loan impact from a traditional Martin Wallace Game.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Chill la Chill posted:

Same person also asserted they prefer Y&Y over T&E and I assume it's for the same reason, the feeling of having more options even if you might not actually have them.
From what I've seen the biggest difference between Y&Y and T&E is in the scale and consequences of the conflict more than anything about choice.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Tekopo posted:

My experience with Innovation was not knowing what I could do, trying to do an early victory since that was the only thing I could plan properly, failing to win early, obviously lagging behind and being destined for last place, and then randomly winning out of nowhere. I haven't played it again.

:hfive: Hey there, Innovation experience twin.

I got stuck in a hole where if I lost my majority on rocks, I would my stuff stolen by another player. So I drew cards looking for a way out, which meant I was stuck with early age stuff and many, many cards in my hand that did not help. Then I got Bicycle, which let me switch my empty scoring pile with my huge hand, catapulting me into a commanding lead. I then drew cards as fast as I could to end the game. Never played it again, and I have no reason to believe this game does not completely suck.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

I don't think I'd willingly play it over R&B or Neuland given the choice. The rules overhead is high and I had to ask several times what the icons were about. It also gives you too many resources, so it doesn't have the same loan impact from a traditional Martin Wallace Game.

Sounds like you might like Lancs better.

1. No beer
2. Only sellable good is cotton
3. Shipwrights are an even tighter race than pottery. They score as soon as they're placed but there are only 3 spots for them, 2 of which can only be reached by rail.
4. External market spaces are limited in how much cotton they will buy before all demand dries up and they don't give any first seller bonuses.
5. Players can place ports, which flip the first time someone sells cotton through them. They then act like external market cities.
6. Much fewer double-typed links. You'll struggle to get your canal network connected.

I love them both. The rules overhead is easy to internalize after a game or two. The only rule that seems to consistently trip people up is the requirement to link to coal for building rail links or immediately selling coal on a newly placed mine.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I prefer Brum because it doesn’t always play exactly the same. Lancs was starting to get boring because the path to victory was very similar each time and the game seemed more about efficiently performing that strategy. Brum IMO is much more varied.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Quixotic1 posted:

My box of ants arrived today and I can't wait for work to end so I open it up.

I bought a KS 1st edition for 15 bucks, pretty stoked to play.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

The first time we played GWT it was as three people new to the game and I think we were maybe four hours in and halfway through before abandoning it in despair? But that’s partially because we were trying to learn using the manual that hates newbies as much as it hates white space

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
My ants should arrive on Monday, I got a bit over excited and ordered all of the expansions and wooden pieces so I have no idea how I'm going to fit it all in the box. Looking forward to checking it all out though. I figure the first game I play will be just the base game stuff and I'll add the other stuff in bit by bit, hoping to get a game played on Tuesday at game night.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Tekopo posted:

I prefer Brum because it doesn’t always play exactly the same. Lancs was starting to get boring because the path to victory was very similar each time and the game seemed more about efficiently performing that strategy. Brum IMO is much more varied.

That was the same complaint I heard from one of the players. They also said they didn’t like FCM cuz it felt like too much of a puzzle game when I said I hated puzzle optimization euros.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

For all the Ant Marchers, did you get shipping notifications? Should I be concerned if I did not?

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

GrandpaPants posted:

For all the Ant Marchers, did you get shipping notifications? Should I be concerned if I did not?

I got mine from Weird City Games two days ago for a 3/6 delivery if you want to check your spam.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Chill la Chill posted:

That was the same complaint I heard from one of the players. They also said they didn’t like FCM cuz it felt like too much of a puzzle game when I said I hated puzzle optimization euros.

I would think there'd be less of that with the Ketchup expansion while noting that the expansion is pretty expensive for an expansion, like $100.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I surprised myself by not buying the FCM expansion, because I never get to really play the base game much. Normally that wouldn't stop me.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

The Eyes Have It posted:

I surprised myself by not buying the FCM expansion, because I never get to really play the base game much. Normally that wouldn't stop me.

I would print the new milestones and leave it at that.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

GrandpaPants posted:

I have now. I thought the parcel coming to me last week was MOTA, but I contacted them and it wasn't. It turned out to be Cthulhu the Harbinger, who now waits for the stars to align before he can hit the table.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

CaptainRightful posted:

Sounds like you might like Lancs better.

1. No beer
2. Only sellable good is cotton
3. Shipwrights are an even tighter race than pottery. They score as soon as they're placed but there are only 3 spots for them, 2 of which can only be reached by rail.
4. External market spaces are limited in how much cotton they will buy before all demand dries up and they don't give any first seller bonuses.
5. Players can place ports, which flip the first time someone sells cotton through them. They then act like external market cities.
6. Much fewer double-typed links. You'll struggle to get your canal network connected.

I love them both. The rules overhead is easy to internalize after a game or two. The only rule that seems to consistently trip people up is the requirement to link to coal for building rail links or immediately selling coal on a newly placed mine.

I'll give it a try at some point. What I realized after having now played brum and AOS (a few times) is that I don't think I actually like most of Wallace's loan mechanics and logistics shenanigans given the high rules overhead and just lack of oppression with the loans. I love automobile because the loans are rather significant but you're dared to take them given the speed of the tech progression, but I also only ever play it at 5. This sounds like it's more up my alley. AOS with the correct maps probably introduce enough oppression to satisfy me. After some thought I think my favorite games with loans are the great zimbabwe's VR player powers, arkwright's share issuance/buyback, and container. And of course 1817. :smoobles:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Chill la Chill posted:

I'll give it a try at some point. What I realized after having now played brum and AOS (a few times) is that I don't think I actually like most of Wallace's loan mechanics and logistics shenanigans given the high rules overhead and just lack of oppression with the loans. I love automobile because the loans are rather significant but you're dared to take them given the speed of the tech progression, but I also only ever play it at 5. This sounds like it's more up my alley. AOS with the correct maps probably introduce enough oppression to satisfy me. After some thought I think my favorite games with loans are the great zimbabwe's VR player powers, arkwright's share issuance/buyback, and container. And of course 1817. :smoobles:

Speaking of TGZ, no one responded to my question.

I heard Founders is similar to it. Is it? How so? How's TGZ better since I assume it is.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
^^^ I love me some TGZ but I haven't played Founders yet.

Mayveena posted:

I would print the new milestones and leave it at that.

That's exactly what I did, pretty good compromise I think.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

The Eyes Have It posted:

^^^ I love me some TGZ but I haven't played Founders yet.

That's exactly what I did, pretty good compromise I think.

Yeah I know people love TGZ. Like maybe people have talked about this on bgg but I don't trust anyone's opinion on there. :v:

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Seems Plaid Hat bought itself back from Asmodee. Left a few scars, but hopefully more companies will follow.

quote:

Asmodee retains the rights to publish the following game titles: Dead of Winter, Raxxon, Mice and Mystics, Stuffed Fables, Aftermath, and Battlelands. Asmodee has also retained the rights to the Adventure Book Games brand. Going forward, Dead of Winter and Raxxon will be published and supported by Fantasy Flight Games.

Mice and Mystics, Stuffed Fables, Aftermath, and Battlelands will be published and supported by Z-Man games. Both Fantasy Flight Games and Z-Man Games are publishers belonging to the Asmodee Group.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
That's just more of them gutting their brands for anything of value and cutting the rest. They're going to make a big sale sometime in the coming year or so.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

silvergoose posted:

Yeah I know people love TGZ. Like maybe people have talked about this on bgg but I don't trust anyone's opinion on there. :v:

I actually own Founders too, just still haven't gotten around to playing it :shobon:

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Im watching a SUSD play through of Space Alert, and they put their threat cards down below the Sitting Duck like psychopaths instead of putting them next to the appropriate threat track...

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Anyone have tips for first plays of On Mars or Die Macher? Have both coming up next weekend.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

The Eyes Have It posted:

I actually own Founders too, just still haven't gotten around to playing it :shobon:

Useless to me!!!

I did go to BGG to look and there is a thread for this and no one in it has played tgz more than like twice?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lord Of Texas posted:

Anyone have tips for first plays of On Mars or Die Macher? Have both coming up next weekend.
On Mars
  • You'll be spending most of your time in On Mars on Mars. Things you can to do get the main benefits of space (worker reset, blueprint acquisition) without actually going to space are good.
  • The private missions are great if you want a medium-term goal to provide direction, but you'll end up part way towards most of them pretty naturally.
  • Use Contracts if you want to get points from a big stack of resources. They aren't worth anything otherwise.
  • In our games about 3/4 of the points have been endgame points. Hitting LSS3 means the game is close to being over.
  • Standalone buildings increase the LSS level, you only need to build a complex to get the additional benefits (bonus points, extra resources, space for L3 blueprints, contracts, etc)

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
The scientists give synergy bonuses in terms of actions for one type of building, but pay off in points for a different type. Be clear about what you have, and make sure you try to make the most of both. Getting multiple scientists can pay off big.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

On Mars:You can only buy as many welcome ships as the level of the colony. An often overlooked rule.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Mayveena posted:

On Mars:You can only buy as many welcome ships as the level of the colony. An often overlooked rule.

This. We forgot on our first play and it's a huge rule in terms of impact. One of the rare rules that isn't represented in the artwork

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

djfooboo posted:

Seems Plaid Hat bought itself back from Asmodee. Left a few scars, but hopefully more companies will follow.

Oh man, I hope more companies break away from Asmodee. :pray:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I've been through two playthroughs of Yokohama and clearly not really gotten how tactical it is. I am generally the evil mastermind person here for worker placement and order fulfillment, but a game of that size and scope gives off a lot of more vibes of being a lot more strategic than it is. However, when I play it that way, I misinterpret some rule that doesn't allow the synergy I thought I could get and/or the game ends before stuff begins to pay off. I don't think I can even say that my opponents are rushing. In the first play, I actually triggered the end game on accident on a trade. In the second play, we had three players, so I managed to build up around Chinatown and nearby producing areas. Then I found out I can't say, trade all five of those coppers I got in a single turn in one exchange so that I can poo poo out crates for the custom house; you can only do one per exchange. Whoops! All the effort I had been expending on research and buildings to foster didn't mean anything at all.

I am hoping I'm not the only one that ran into this surprising wall with something like that.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Lord Of Texas posted:

Which edition of DM? I have the second but Idk how much advice would even be useful because so much of the game is in tactical responses to your opponents. Knowing when to use the good tools for the important votes is a huge part of it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've played TGZ once and Founders about five times. I can see why people would make some comparison as there's mechanical overlap but they're less similar than many other games I've played.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

CommonShore posted:

I've played TGZ once and Founders about five times. I can see why people would make some comparison as there's mechanical overlap but they're less similar than many other games I've played.

Helpful! Five times probably puts you in the top percent of people who've played it, what brings you back? What player counts mostly?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

silvergoose posted:

Helpful! Five times probably puts you in the top percent of people who've played it, what brings you back? What player counts mostly?

We've had good games at 3 and 4 players. Never played it at 2 because I have lots of legitimately good 2-player games, but the whole seems as if it would become too much of a zero-sum thing for the collaborative elements to function well at 2. Most of the time when we've played it someone other than me has suggested it - "hey what do you guys want to play" "oh I see you have Founders of Gloomhaven up there I want to try that" "well we have time, what does everyone else think?" etc.

My biggest criticism of FoG is that it has a number of little rules which are easy to forget and which can break the game, and the rulebook doesn't do a good job of emphasizing them, which isn't good for a game that I play rarely enough that I have to go back to the rule book to remind myself. Last time we played we forgot for 3/4 of the game the rule that you can only have one of each type of building in each city sector and poo poo went sideways. A rule like that should be in the basic frontloaded description of a card's function, not in the step-by-step breakdown of the card's play. Scoring is a bit fiddly, too. If you don't have someone at the table with good mental math it might be agonizing. I've never played a game without a good mental math person at the table wink wink

I like the way that the action selection/follow function flows. In that respect it's like Puerto Rico where you are building collaboratively and you can buy from each others' buildings. People make fun of the goofy little tacked on worker placement mechanic but I find that is actually one of the strongest designs in the game (in short, the worker placement is on the equivalent of a "prospector" action, and you need to acquire access to spaces) and the opportunity cost of getting it online balances it quite nicely.

I don't dislike the game. It's a solid B or B+. The problem is that I have many games that I like better which fit into the same time slot and which have overlap, and which require less teaching for my group. My friends who I play stuff like that with prefer Puerto Rico or AFFO or Terra Mystica or Castles of Burgundy. FoG just kinda sits there hoping that someone wants to play something different.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Really good words there, thanks! Sounds like it'll go into the same bucket as Patchistory for me, a game that's worth playing but hard to justify the teaching time and length for inexperienced players.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

Which edition of DM? I have the second but Idk how much advice would even be useful because so much of the game is in tactical responses to your opponents. Knowing when to use the good tools for the important votes is a huge part of it.

It's the most recent limited edition from KS. I think what you said is a reason I'm very excited to play it, the relative value of actions and position seems so very dependent on what everyone else is doing.

Thanks for all the On Mars hints folks. I am going to consider getting through a 4p playthrough in 4 hours with few rules mistakes to be a "win" this time.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

The 18xx day went well. There were three of us, me, a friend who is very experienced in 'xx and the newb. I did decide to go with '46, since it's much closer to '30 and '30 was what he wanted to play as his quest to play the 200 top games on BGG (yes he knows it changes but he's working with that). He had watched a '46 vid but he said it did not prepare him for the game play. He stayed in the game, had to issue a decent amount of shares to avoid the train rush but that happens sometimes. He lost by twice as many points as the winner but he was fine with that.

On to '30. As an aside, what a piece of poo poo the Mayfair/Lookout version of '30 is. If I were going to continue to play '30 I'd just pony up for an Avalon Hill copy. It was the first time (and last, trust me) time I played with the copy I bought a few years ago, what a let down. At any rate, once we really got started with '30 he said he was glad to have had the '46 experience since the '30 experience was so much more brutal. He made it through '30, although he got caught with having the 4 as his only train in one of his companies and had to buy a diesel with cash/shares. Those 4's are dangerous!!! :)

It took 10 hours for both games with a 45 minute dinner break, so not too bad. I hadn't played '30 in probably 10 years so it was interesting how much I knew the game intuitively anyway. Now that I've played a bunch of other 'xx's, I feel like '30 is probably still the best, but it needs at least four players who have played at least 10 times to really flower. Since I don't have that, and probably never will, I'll go on back to '22 and enjoy something that doesn't take so much knowledge to enjoy.

Also I remember the last time I played '30 we played it on my laptop. What app/script/program would have enabled that? (it wasn't the DOS version) Because if I ever play '30 again, that's how I'm playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

There's a lot of people playing fire tower at pax this year and I tried it and this game seems... Bad. Is it just me?