Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

M42 posted:

Got my first bike 7 years ago today. One of the best decisions I’ve ever made.

That's a trick of perspective, the car is in fact a 1:10 model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

M42 posted:

Hell yeah :toot:

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

M42 posted:

Don't ask me how i found this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhZC5vz89kQ

I was bored and re-read this entire thread last year.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Ulf posted:

I love how every biker, whenever there's a problem of almost any kind with their bike, stares in an accusatory way at the side of the engine as if to check it's still there and that there's not a big off switch they've accidentally kicked.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I just realized that this week will mark 30 years of riding for me and 32 years of bike ownership (it took 2 years to fix a bike before the internet). And I’m not even 40 yet. Other than eating, sleeping and breathing there isn’t much I’ve been doing longer.

Holy poo poo.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Ulf posted:

It heard me talking about how i wanted to upgrade and killed itself

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Ulf posted:

I'm shocked that, with almost no context, I knew it would be this video before I clicked it. :aaaaa:

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I love how every biker, whenever there's a problem of almost any kind with their bike, stares in an accusatory way at the side of the engine as if to check it's still there and that there's not a big off switch they've accidentally kicked.

This is so right. And, in some cases, there IS a big off switch on the handlebars that they hit without realizing and should be looking at.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
I think it’s usually the rider checking for a puddle :shobon:

Ulf fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 1, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I glare at my shifter when the 250 straight up refuses to shift into neutral at stop lights or parking lots every now and then.

“Why :mad:

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

goddamnedtwisto posted:

i do it to make it obvious to cars that something is wrong

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I do it because the first thing I always think of when I lose power at speed is that video of the dude whose engine punched a hole in itself and barfed a gallon of oil all over the road, and if it's that bad I want to know straight away.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Yeah i almost instantly could smell the motor oil and wanted to make sure it wasn’t barfing on my tire.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Yeah, I do it to check for catastrophic leaks or smoke.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Lol that having your bike randomly conk out while in motion is something we’ve apparently all experienced multiple times.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
could it be that bikes are just more complicated mopeds and thus is always broke? :thunk:

just wiggle the cord

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Also I guess the fuel tap is down there, when it exists. Weirdly though it usually takes me like five minutes of panic before I think to check it.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
I glared at the starter on my GL on Saturday when all it would do is click, then I got in my truck to take the battery in to rule that out and immediately snapped off a tie rod end.

Glared at that too, for good measure.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Im gonna ask here, since you all were very welcoming, but here goes.

I'm jumping into carb syncing on my 96 cbr f3. D shaped pilot screw tool should be here tomorrow. I took my carbs back off and ordered another fuel pump, since the one i ordered last time leaked through the case. I also got a mostly complete rebuild kit, and replaced all the jets and needles and whatnot. It occured to me i never removed the pilot screws for cleaning, nor did I know what they did, but since my main issue is cylinder one flap/air-openy guy not opening on throttle, figured it would be dumb not to touch it. Hopefully I can get that squared away by the next nice weekend. Today was rough, it sounded like Akira outside, while i was stuck cleaning inside.

Anyway, my question. I through all my junk fairings out, and have embraced the naked bike life. I want to get rid of the huge dashboard, mount a headlight and a speedo/tach gauge and just ridddde.. The supermoto rigs on amazon and ebay havent impressed me enough to swipe the card. Has anyone been in a similar situation? I just want a speedo and tachometer gauge, headlight that I can mount somewhat easily so I can get on the road safely. We'll get to the performance side of things soon, maybe I'll make a thread.

Just hoping maybe I can save the ebay/amazon roulette trouble, and bank on one of you guys already doing the legwork?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
EMGO is a good cheap choice for round headlight buckets that come with the fork mounts and all that jazz. Cheap, and good quality. I have one of their buckets on my hawk.

Not sure about the gauge cluster, but streetfighters are a pretty popular thing to do, and there is probably an off the shelf mount plate or conversion you can use.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Not related to your question, but I’ve always found this quite helpful for carbs.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
That chart makes me glad I have never had to deal with a carburetor.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Ughh I'm so close to getting the bike back on the road. I saw half a dozen out yesterday in my five-minute walk to work and I just can't anymore. It's in storage across the city in my parents' garage. After I hit the gym today I'm hoping to head over there, put the battery back in and ride it back over to my place. There are just a couple of problems:

1. My shop is technically closed until tomorrow afternoon and I'm still having that issue with my alarm/electrical. Not sure if I mentioned it before, but near the end of last season my alarm keyfob flew off on the highway (is there any better way to secure these to the key btw? the ring isn't very strong). As you might imagine, when I got home and the alarm started blaring at 4AM I panicked. Thankfully it turned off and I was able to ride to the shop where they disabled the alarm. The problem? Disabling it must have shorted something somewhere, because now when I use either turn signal, both hazard lights blink and the alarm chirps. For the last few days of the season I was using hand signals to turn. Any ideas what this might be; if putting the alarm back in will solve it? Also how difficult is it to tie a new Scorpio keyfob to the alarm?

2. My parking spot. My landlord, who runs the store my apartment is above, has let me hump the bike up the curb and park it behind the garbage bins outside my window for the 'measly price' of $50/month. Now they're telling me that when spring hits, so probably around April-June, they will need the space for flowers they sell. poo poo price aside, I was really counting on having this spot available as it's just street parking otherwise and at least the spot was within eyeshot of my window.

I'm stubborn as gently caress and I got up early specifically to pick it up today, so I probably still will, but I might be in a bind for a day or two.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Mister Speaker posted:

(is there any better way to secure these to the key btw? the ring isn't very strong).

Keep it in your pocket, along with all the other keys you have that aren't used to start the bike.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Mister Speaker posted:

Ughh I'm so close to getting the bike back on the road. I saw half a dozen out yesterday in my five-minute walk to work and I just can't anymore.
It's gonna be -4 on Sunday.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Chris Knight posted:

It's gonna be -4 on Sunday.

It was nice while it lasted. Wish I'd taken some initiative to get home earlier and drag my bike out of the shed for a day.

I also learned that everyone in a 5KM radius of me owns a Guzzi. So many Guzzis.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
High of 68 and sunny here, friends! Gonna cruuuuise!

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

builds character posted:

Not related to your question, but I’ve always found this quite helpful for carbs.

Not sure what to make of this chart right now, but downloaded anyway, thanks!

I really DONT want to be messing with the carbs, but I will because I got the bike super cheap, made it safe relatively inexpensively. The cheap aspect of the whole experience is what keeps me out of the dog house with the missus, I'm sure everyone knows the trials of getting a motor cycle. I'm slowly trying to get my pops to give me his FJR.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

interwhat posted:

Not sure what to make of this chart right now, but downloaded anyway, thanks!

I really DONT want to be messing with the carbs, but I will because I got the bike super cheap, made it safe relatively inexpensively. The cheap aspect of the whole experience is what keeps me out of the dog house with the missus, I'm sure everyone knows the trials of getting a motor cycle. I'm slowly trying to get my pops to give me his FJR.

It shows you which bits of the carb are working at which throttle opening. Here's the full version, which is actually more helpful for starting. http://www.keihin-na.com/assets/1/7/slide_valve.pdf

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

builds character posted:

It shows you which bits of the carb are working at which throttle opening. Here's the full version, which is actually more helpful for starting. http://www.keihin-na.com/assets/1/7/slide_valve.pdf

That and this site here are pretty useful in understanding carburetion.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I never changed my bike's clock when daylight saving time ended, now I'm reaping the benefit of my laziness but not having to press buttons randomly until I remember how to change the clock on my bike.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

That and this site here are pretty useful in understanding carburetion.

That's a good site.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
so now im going to be one of Those Guys because one of my absolute white whale ham radios showed up

https://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/fm_txvrs/0813.html

The Yaesu ftm-10r is a dual band 50 watt ham rig built for motorcycles. the control head is weatherproof, it talks bluetooth to Senas, also has an am/fm/weather band radio in it and if you want to run speakers it has an 8w stereo audio amp. It's also an actually good ham radio.

It was designed with enough care that it actually uses the 7 pin intercom connectors that motorcyclists are familiar with if you want to set it up wired, and they were smart enough to put a push-to-talk button and a mic in the control head, so if you wreck and your headset breaks, you can still call for help.

These are so rare that i've had my daily ebay search up for a year and a half and one finally showed up.

i'm very excited! the FZ1 is about to become a mobile radio dorkride. It'll be really nice to have on any longer trips or overnights. I'll post some install pics and maybe an operation vid once it shows up next week.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

MomJeans420 posted:

I never changed my bike's clock when daylight saving time ended, now I'm reaping the benefit of my laziness but not having to press buttons randomly until I remember how to change the clock on my bike.

I get to change my clock and do basic chain maintenance today. Guess which I’m dreading.

I went on a really smooth ride though, what a good day.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

so now im going to be one of Those Guys because one of my absolute white whale ham radios showed up

https://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/fm_txvrs/0813.html

The Yaesu ftm-10r is a dual band 50 watt ham rig built for motorcycles. the control head is weatherproof, it talks bluetooth to Senas, also has an am/fm/weather band radio in it and if you want to run speakers it has an 8w stereo audio amp. It's also an actually good ham radio.

It was designed with enough care that it actually uses the 7 pin intercom connectors that motorcyclists are familiar with if you want to set it up wired, and they were smart enough to put a push-to-talk button and a mic in the control head, so if you wreck and your headset breaks, you can still call for help.

These are so rare that i've had my daily ebay search up for a year and a half and one finally showed up.

i'm very excited! the FZ1 is about to become a mobile radio dorkride. It'll be really nice to have on any longer trips or overnights. I'll post some install pics and maybe an operation vid once it shows up next week.

What is ham radio actually for? Do you just talk to other dorks and truckers and stuff?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Contraception.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Slavvy posted:

What is ham radio actually for? Do you just talk to other dorks and truckers and stuff?

It’s like garlic but for other people instead of vampires

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Taking drugs and listening for patterns in the background cosmic radiation? (drugs optional)

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

talking about ailments, pets with ailments, and politics.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ok so by the sounds of it, riding around in cargo shorts and sock-sandal combo would be far cheaper and easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Ok so by the sounds of it, riding around in cargo shorts and sock-sandal combo would be far cheaper and easier.

Or just a v-strom.