Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Hokkaido has now declared a state of emergency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Phone posted:

i've never been but i can't imagine that seatac is any worse than o'hare or jfk (or charlotte lmao)

im flying via seatac in may :x

Charlotte is, in fact, the worst.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

This site is staying pretty on top of listing closures, it's been a big help.

https://www.timeout.com/tokyo/things-to-do/attractions-in-tokyo-and-japan-that-are-closed-due-to-covid-19-coronavirus

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Thank you for that.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I suppose there are worse countries to be stranded in than Japan.

https://japantoday.com/category/politics/u.s.-mulls-new-restrictions-on-travelers-from-japan-s.-korea-media

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

lol, donald trump is the president of the united states

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Currently having a very cool and good night at the yokocho in Ginza. Nikka highball is real, and strong, and my friend

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Add Skytree and Robot Restaurant to the closure list. I'm sure I'll find more. At this point, just assume it's everything.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

if i was actually stranded i would seriously consider finding a way to not have to go back at all

Spanish Inquisition
Oct 26, 2006
LISTEN TO THIS SHITTY SONG BY MY SHITTY BAND! used tire.mp3
gonna venture out for plum blossom viewing in bunkyo today. special events have been cancelled, but i'm holding out a little hope that there were be a few food stalls there. if not, i guess i'll just hit up a conbini :shrug:

i was at an event in yoyogi park last sunday, and there were attendants there spraying all entrants' hands with alcohol. that was pretty cool.

looking forward to surviving corona in japan, only to return to the united states to contract it and go bankrupt/die.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

mikeycp posted:

if i was actually stranded i would seriously consider finding a way to not have to go back at all

I told my friends I would offer to take over an abandoned farm since rural life is dying here.

Landed at Narita. Plane was more than half empty. Most people had their own row. Airport was eerily quiet and there was no wait getting through immigration and customs. Currently on the Skyliner and there's only 4 of us in my car.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Picnic Princess posted:

I told my friends I would offer to take over an abandoned farm since rural life is dying here.
Goon farm? :D

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Hell yeah go spend some tourist dollars

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Bofast posted:

You mean goons who farm or a farm that grows goons?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Doctor Zero posted:

You mean goons who farm or a farm that grows goons?

Mainly goons who farm, though I suspect goons could find a way to grow almost anywhere.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

The Grand Sumo tournament in Osaka is closed to the public now. We had tickets for Day 4. Kinda bummed. We fly out at 5pm EST landing in Haneda. I’m still pumped to be going for the first time.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

i dunno how u guys are dealing with stuff in Tokyo, but I'll probably be in for 1~2 days on my way back to Shanghai sometime this week depending on how flights work out. If China blocks Japanese flights (unlikely) I might be stuck there even more time!!!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Not that it’s super relevant now since everywhere will be empty, but as a dumb foreigner who can only speak a little Japanese, what should I be saying when I walk into a small bar and want to check they’ve got space for my group?

I’ve always just said “uh, san nin?” and it’s been fine but just wondering if I should be saying something else.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

In my mind “san nin wa, seki ga arimasu ka” translates do you have seats for three but since it makes sene to me it’s almost guaranteed to be wrong somehow, probably bordering on insulting.

Or maybe “san nin wa, suwatte mo ii desu ka”? I’ll just see myself out now.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Both of those seem to make sense!

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
My office is now under advisory work from home and our Seoul and Tokyo offices are under mandatory WFH. Starting to look like the closest I get to Japan this Spring will be the Japanese grocery store in Chinatown.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I got back from Japan today after two weeks. I'm also now banished from work for two weeks.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
my job also put out a mandatory self quarantine if you visit china, hk, japan, singapore, northern italy, and the few provinces in sk

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

We have Tuesday free in Ginza before we go over to Hakone because team labs got cancelled. What are some cool things to do there so we don’t have to gently caress with trains?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Nakagin capsule tower is right next to Ginza if you're into that kind of thing. Otherwise, uh... it's pretty much an upscale shopping/eating district, there's not a ton to do around there if you're not looking to drop some cash. It's easy walking distance to the Imperial Palace, you can wander some of the outer palace grounds unless that's closed off.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Bofast posted:

i'm down. i feel like i heard it's not super easy to start a farm in japan though?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Just cancelled my flight for Tuesday, good luck other brave Goons still going.

For those of you considering whether or not to cancel, Japan Air waived all of the cancellation fees unprompted. Didn't even ask me why I was cancelling, in case that enters into your calculus.

EDIT: That is to say, they gave me a full refund.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 1, 2020

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Thanatosian posted:

Just cancelled my flight for Tuesday, good luck other brave Goons still going.

For those of you considering whether or not to cancel, Japan Air waived all of the cancellation fees unprompted. Didn't even ask me why I was cancelling, in case that enters into your calculus.

But no refund?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

LimburgLimbo posted:

But no refund?
I should've been clearer: full refund, no cancellation fees.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Thanatosian posted:

I should've been clearer: full refund, no cancellation fees.

Very nice. My parents cancelled theirs a few days ago and also got a full refund, but they bought tickets way back and there had beef a time change in the meantime so apparently they qualified anyway; wasn’t sure if people qualified otherwise.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Nakagin capsule tower is right next to Ginza if you're into that kind of thing. Otherwise, uh... it's pretty much an upscale shopping/eating district, there's not a ton to do around there if you're not looking to drop some cash. It's easy walking distance to the Imperial Palace, you can wander some of the outer palace grounds unless that's closed off.

There’s a neat rooftop garden atop Ginza Six. Nakagin Capsule Tower doesn’t let you in the building if you don’t live there though it’s still neat from the outside.

Edit: Hamarikyu Gardens is a nice urban oasis.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Mar 1, 2020

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Question Mark Mound posted:

Not that it’s super relevant now since everywhere will be empty, but as a dumb foreigner who can only speak a little Japanese, what should I be saying when I walk into a small bar and want to check they’ve got space for my group?

3nin dakedo, daijobu??
Dozo dozo

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

LimburgLimbo posted:

But no refund?

I'm the airline that charges cancellation fees on top of not refunding.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
edit: not gonna say mean things~

LimburgLimbo fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Mar 2, 2020

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Stringent posted:

I'm the airline that charges cancellation fees on top of not refunding.

Yeah I have tickets on Jetstar for March 20-22 x____x

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

LimburgLimbo posted:

edit: not gonna say mean things~

That was a pretty good one though.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

peanut posted:

Yeah I have tickets on Jetstar for March 20-22 x____x

Yeah, haruyasumi looking dicey.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/travel/notices.html

United canceling most US-Asia flights for all of March and April?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Got my reservations for Jiro and Den. Virus be damned, I'm comin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

peanut posted:

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/travel/notices.html

United canceling most US-Asia flights for all of March and April?

no Just Narita. There are flights that go to Tokyo via Haneda.

But of course this may change in the next few weeks. Santa Clara is at 7 cases now.