Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

ItBreathes posted:

I've had that happen when my freighter interested some space geometry in a previous patch. Have you tried jumping to another system and calling your freighter?

Fixed, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Roblo posted:

While we are on this subject, on PS4 how the hell do I gift someone something? I wanna give someone my spare egg.

While near them on the Nexus, hit the button to transfer an item from your inventory, and, in addition to the option to send it to your HCI, Ship, or Freighter, you'll now also have the option to send it to the person near you.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Ok, I've tootled around grabbing upgrades for my living ship, and I've only found three kinds.

- Warp Drive
- Sheilds
- Photon Cannon thing

I've gotten 25 or so thus far; are there only the three kinds, or are there more and the RNG gods are being spiteful to me?

(Side note, I've also run into 'living metaloid' things that give me regular starship upgrades as well)

Edit: after some investigating, I've seen screenshots of all six kinds, so they exist.

Some posts make it seem like it's predetermined by solar system which kinds can spawn in a given system. This makes some sense, since the first system I grinded was mostly derelict freighters, the second was a mix of freighters and upgrades, buy only photon upgrades, and the system I'm in now has been 100% upgrades, but just the three kinds.

blarzgh fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 1, 2020

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

John F Bennett posted:

I hate when that happens. I enjoy the slow road to riches, makes me feel successful.

Honestly, I didn't even mind in this case; money's only going to get you so far in this game. You still need to grind out nanites, quicksilver, etc, not to mention materials.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Anyone have any planet names they're particularly proud of? I lucked out and the tutorial 'build your first base here' planet is basically perfect, no sentinels, beautiful green grass, blue water, mineral deposits etc. The only downside is about once an hour, it rains boiling water for a couple of minutes. So I've named it 'It's Not The Heat, It's The Humidity' and get to have a sensible chuckle every time I remember. Tell me your planet names!

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
^^im really dull with my planet names. I need to up my game.

Can anyone give me some material collector machine advice? Can you only build them (and the pipelines) within a base? If so how far can you go with a pipeline? I've found a good node about 500u away from my main base, but haven't been able to pipeline back.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I think the planet names that the game has generated are just fine.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I've also discovered that your pulse drive encounters are scripted.

Every time you reload in a system, your encounters will be in the same order. If you boost and find Egg> Metal > Egg > Derelict, reload and the sequence will start over again.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Goddammit I'm 50 quicksilver short from getting an egg :argh:

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

What's the deal with derelicts, anyhow? I've found a few randomly but never quite figured out what I'm supposed to do, and I might be looking for the wrong thing on Google. The ones in space, not the crashed freighters.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
So this game is pretty fun now I assume?

Also does Ps4/PC make a big difference in terms of jankyness or whatever? My PC isn't that great(1050gtx and average amount of RAM iirc), while I recently got a PS4 pro and a decent TV, so the graphics would probably look better on PS4 I think.

Does the basic version on PS4 come will all the overhauls they did?

e; it's apprently only 22 bucks on Playstation right now, so probably worth it.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 2, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

So this game is pretty fun now I assume?

Also does Ps4/PC make a big difference in terms of jankyness or whatever? My PC isn't that great(1050gtx and average amount of RAM iirc), while I recently got a PS4 pro and a decent TV, so the graphics would probably look better on PS4 I think.

It's still fundamentally a make your own fun kind of game, but they've ironed out a lot of the barriers to doing that. No idea on the PC/PS4 split.

Wolfechu posted:

What's the deal with derelicts, anyhow? I've found a few randomly but never quite figured out what I'm supposed to do, and I might be looking for the wrong thing on Google. The ones in space, not the crashed freighters.

As best I can tell they're just for show.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Fair enough; I'd kinda concluded the same thing but wasn't sure if I'd missed something non obvious.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Does the basic version on PS4 come will all the overhauls they did?

e; it's apprently only 22 bucks on Playstation right now, so probably worth it.
Yes, they've all been free updates.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

ShootaBoy posted:

This weekends Anomaly quest was a loving windfall for me. Sent me to a planet that occasionally got hit by mega hot rainstorms, but they also revealed a super rare crystal thing that sold for a ton. No sentinels on the planet, so I just ran around gathering those things as I got the bits for the quest, all while leveling up my milestone progress for extreme survival. By the end of it, I was up a good few million units, and I'm only 1000 off getting a ship egg. A good day.

Those are Storm Crystals, they always appear on any planet with Extreme weather during a Storm. Very valuable, but they can also be used to craft a more powerful Warp Cell that fully charges the hyperdrive instead of just giving you one jump's worth.

As for the derelicts: Apparently once you've got a Living Ship, it's where you find bits to upgrade them. I've found one neat thing that wasn't just a derelict freighter: A floating space statue of a Firstspawn Gek emperor. Another time I found a portal in the middle of a bunch of asteroids.

I've reached the last leg of the Living Ship questline, except I hit a problem: last part requires me to use a Portal except I got no Portal glyphs on this character. Whoops. Gonna have to farm those for a while...

Speedball fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Mar 2, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I went to do the weekend event figuring it'd be a nice thing to do over coffee. And it would have been, had the game not spawned four of the plants I needed inside those tentacle things and really didn't want to spawn any more. Took loving forever, which was all the worse because halfway through my exocraft decided that it had always dreamed of being invisible and decided to make good on it's dreams.

Did get a fuckton of storm crystals though.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I haven't played this in forever, if I want to start the living ship stuff I have to farm quicksilver and then buy it on the Nexus somehow?

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

haveblue posted:

I haven't played this in forever, if I want to start the living ship stuff I have to farm quicksilver and then buy it on the Nexus somehow?

You need 3,200 Quicksilver, then theres a dude on the Anomaly that can sell you the egg. Make a spot for it in your inventory because it's not gonna be leaving for a while, the quest takes a long time to get through before you actually get the ship.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Like many of you, I'm hopping back into NMS to see how things have changed. I saw that nanite grinding post earlier, but how are you guys building your startup capital? I like that you can choose specific types of star charts now, but the emergency ones only rarely lead to a claimable ship, and even then the most I've gotten for scrapping one is a mil at most.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Like many of you, I'm hopping back into NMS to see how things have changed. I saw that nanite grinding post earlier, but how are you guys building your startup capital? I like that you can choose specific types of star charts now, but the emergency ones only rarely lead to a claimable ship, and even then the most I've gotten for scrapping one is a mil at most.

Dig for salvageable scrap and/or ancient bones.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Wolfechu posted:

They're just for fun. In the update last week they added cargo pods floating around them you can shoot for a handful of resources, but that calls in the police and then you have to fight, so its not really worth it.

If you pulse drive through now, you can encounter:

- Derelict Freighters
- Random Traders in Spaceships
- Strange and Beautiful Mysterious Things
- Anomalous Metaloids (shoot them to get upgrade modules for regular starships)
- Floating Void Eggs (shoot them to get upgrade modules for your living ship)

You may or may not need to be in the living ship to encounter Void Eggs.

Encounters happen somewhere between every 30 seconds and every 2 minutes.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Glazius posted:

Dig for salvageable scrap and/or ancient bones.

This, early on mounds of gravitino balls / larval eggs, selling quest rewards. Storm crystals once you get an exocraft.

Considering theres no defined endgame, I've been happy just letting the money come as it does.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

blarzgh posted:

They're just for fun. In the update last week they added cargo pods floating around them you can shoot for a handful of resources, but that calls in the police and then you have to fight, so its not really worth it.

If you pulse drive through now, you can encounter:

- Derelict Freighters
- Random Traders in Spaceships
- Strange and Beautiful Mysterious Things
- Anomalous Metaloids (shoot them to get upgrade modules for regular starships)
- Floating Void Eggs (shoot them to get upgrade modules for your living ship)

You may or may not need to be in the living ship to encounter Void Eggs.

Encounters happen somewhere between every 30 seconds and every 2 minutes.

I've found one derelict freighter so far, and then later an array of "containment cells" containing a sentinel walker, an abyssal horror and some other stuff I couldn't quite make out. Dropping out of pulse next to the array, it sent a message something like "danger! miniaturized black hole containment failure imminent."
Flew around it for a minute and then tried to see if I could shoot open the cell with the walker in it, but the whole thing blew up and dropped a handful of magnetized ferrite. :confuoot:

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Lord Awkward posted:

I've found one derelict freighter so far, and then later an array of "containment cells" containing a sentinel walker, an abyssal horror and some other stuff I couldn't quite make out. Dropping out of pulse next to the array, it sent a message something like "danger! miniaturized black hole containment failure imminent."
Flew around it for a minute and then tried to see if I could shoot open the cell with the walker in it, but the whole thing blew up and dropped a handful of magnetized ferrite. :confuoot:

neat!

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
If you want early cash, best way I've found is chlorine. loving love the stuff. Buy oxygen when you see it, since chlorine and oxygen gives...more chlorine, which you keep feeding back into the machine for endless profit. Stack gives you 6 million or so.

Roblo fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 2, 2020

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

And you're gonna need a lot of Chromatic Metal, but instead of wasting time refining it you can just shoot enemy ships and pirates, as they will very often drop a lot of it. Some players like to attack random freighters to steal their stuff but that's a good way to tank your rankings with the aliens and get Sentinel ships on your rear end...

Speedball fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 2, 2020

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I love living full time on my Freighter, but give me all the building options, drat it. And windows, I want a Biodome open to space!

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

So I don't know if you always get a big freighter for your second encounter, but I was jumping around in my starship for the colored metals and got to rescue a 34 slot freighter I couldn't afford as my second rescue encounter, so yeah maybe it's worth saying no to the first one.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm really happy they added a "I don't want to buy your ship, just slip me a little something for my trouble" button to freighter commanders, I can't believe that wasn't there before.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Another way to make money is to get the discovery scanner upgrades that increase the reward for scanning things, fit your starter tool as this and have a second tool be your real one, its probably easier and more reliable than finding planets with certain deposits, after that you can do and get into industry and the likes

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Stevefin posted:

Another way to make money is to get the discovery scanner upgrades that increase the reward for scanning things, fit your starter tool as this and have a second tool be your real one, its probably easier and more reliable than finding planets with certain deposits, after that you can do and get into industry and the likes

Hang on there, bucko. You can have more that one... dare I say, multiple multitools?!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Hang on there, bucko. You can have more that one... dare I say, multiple multitools?!

As of a recent patch, yes, you can have up to three and swap them out in the options menu. I have a fully tricked-out scanner and miner and two others for combat missions.

I only needed one other, but my Armorer is always so proud of their multitool of great power I couldn't say no.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Glazius posted:

As of a recent patch, yes, you can have up to three and swap them out in the options menu. I have a fully tricked-out scanner and miner and two others for combat missions.

I only needed one other, but my Armorer is always so proud of their multitool of great power I couldn't say no.

That would certainly be a solution to my 'too many modes to change weapons effectively" issue

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Shockeh posted:

I love living full time on my Freighter, but give me all the building options, drat it. And windows, I want a Biodome open to space!

Well I mean, out of all the things you'd want on a freighter, mineral extractors and an Exocraft station probably aren't necessary... I do love my space farm, though.

I'm so glad that they changed Freighter Storage to be its own thing (still linked by hyperspace to the ones you build in ground bases).

Got to the endgame of the game for the first time. Nobody told me this was an easier way to get portal glyphs! Living Ship, here I come!!!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

ItBreathes posted:

That would certainly be a solution to my 'too many modes to change weapons effectively" issue
Yeah, that's effectively the only use I make of it - I have one with all my good stuff and rapid fire, and another with the shotgun.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Finally got my Living Ship. Like many of the questlines in No Man's Sky I now question the morals of the what I did in the quest to get here.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

HiKaizer posted:

Finally got my Living Ship. Like many of the questlines in No Man's Sky I now question the morals of the what I did in the quest to get here.

Yeah, I mean, like stealing at least three Traveler souls to make it? Yikes.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!

Speedball posted:

Yeah, I mean, like stealing at least three Traveler souls to make it? Yikes.

Also murdering many animals and stealing their conscious experience via laser beam as well. The living ship stuff is very cool and I appreciate the kind of weird horror of both the ship and the quest. Read the descriptions of the equipment when you get a chance it's... something all right.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I like how the descriptions of the living ship's systems indicate that you're not piloting it so much as...asking it to do its stuff. The one I got turned out to be very powerful, its photon cannon equivalent is melting pirate ships in one volley.

The fact that all its systems recharge using entirely different materials than tech ships is good for keeping things fresh too. One of them recharges with Mordite? REally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Do all living ships look the same? Do their appearances change at all with time (as they grow??)? Or is this something we don't really know yet, as people are still figuring the living ship stuff out?