Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Seems like the Android One program does not necessarily guarantee faster, or two-years worth of, OS updates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I've been posting about my S8+ that lost service after the security update last week. The repair place put a new dock in it as a last ditch effort, but that didn't work either. Well then I went and picked it up and now it randomly has god drat service again! No need for a new phone for now, but I bet this is going to be some intermittent thing that comes back. They said the only other thing to replace would be the whole mainboard, so maybe there's some short that stopped happening.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I had an S8+ that eventually started to lose the cell connection randomly for random amounts of time, claiming no service every time. Sometimes it even required a reboot to get going temporarily again. When I sent it in, with that as error description, they immediately swapped the mainboard.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Well mine is out of warranty so I'll just have to see what happens.

Different question, my Samsung backup from 2/26/20 says it backed up ~7700 messages but when it restores, the most recent message is from March 2018. It backed up from when I got it in Nov 2017 until then. Doesn't look like Google backs messages up. How do I get those 7700 messages? I don't think I did 7700 messages in those 4 months, but if I did how do I actually get it to backup my messages going forward?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

KingKapalone posted:

Doesn't look like Google backs messages up.

On a Pixel it's Settings > Google > Backup; somehow I doubt it's in the same place on a Samsung.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I use SMS Backup still. No clue how Samsung backups work.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Thermopyle posted:

Pixel 3a or 3a XL

Definitely true but as a Moto user (wife is on a 3a) goddamn Moto has some really great shortcuts. Their peek and chop/twist gestures should be loving standard on all Android phones.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

BonoMan posted:

Definitely true but as a Moto user (wife is on a 3a) goddamn Moto has some really great shortcuts. Their peek and chop/twist gestures should be loving standard on all Android phones.
Chop is a little awkward imho but twist for camera is pretty great.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

LastInLine posted:

On a Pixel it's Settings > Google > Backup; somehow I doubt it's in the same place on a Samsung.

That setting is there, but there's no SMS option in there. I'm just confused that Samsung Cloud says I have 7700 messages backed up but when it restored them it only did the first 4 months of phone ownership. Maybe I did send 7700 in that time?? But then why didn't it back up anything else? Is it because I use the Android Messages app instead of Samsung's and maybe I didn't switch until a few months in?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Could it be an RCS related issue? I've heard tons of people have issues with message backups involving RCS.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

BonoMan posted:

Double tap power button for camera works for me, but I would use a flashlight gesture occasionally if it was available. Maybe that's finally a good use for Bixby button?

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

I use SMS Backup still. No clue how Samsung backups work.

You sure this is still working? I lost August to December because of Gmail changes. There's a workaround, apparently.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Alarbus posted:

You sure this is still working? I lost August to December because of Gmail changes. There's a workaround, apparently.

Yup, it works fine for me. Not sure what it has to do with Gmail at all, I'm a little confused.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

SMS backup+ backs them all up to gmail but Google broke it some point last year unless you set up the imap connection manually

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Skarsnik posted:

SMS backup+ backs them all up to gmail but Google broke it some point last year unless you set up the imap connection manually

I was talking about this one that I use: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

BonoMan posted:

I use the flashlight gesture all the time, and while I'm almost certainly not gonna buy another Moto phone, I'm gonna miss it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's shows how well Moto implemented those gestures when my mom in her 60s regularly uses both chop for flashlight and twist for camera.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yeah and that lock screen peek is WAY better than any other implementation out there.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

For me, the camera gesture was easily replaced by double-tap power button. The flashlight was the one I really missed.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I double tap power button all the time for camera. I'm the doofus that unlocks then slides down shade to open flashlight though instead of trying to automate that process some more.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Big Pixel feature drop starting today.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/03/02/googles-second-pixel-feature-drop-rolls-out-today-with-piles-of-new-features/

quote:

New play/pause gesture for Pixel 4 Motion Sense

Pixel 2 gets Live Caption

Car Crash Detection rolls out for Pixel 4 in Australia and the UK

AR effects for Duo video calls

Pixel 4 front-facing/selfie camera portrait blur improvements

169 new emoji from the 12.1 release

New power button wallet menu for quick access to Google Pay payment methods, boarding passes, tickets, etc.

Support for screenshots of boarding passes is also coming for Pixel 3, 3a, and 4, with real-time flight updates

Scheduled dark theme/mode, including sunset/sunrise triggers

New automation Rules for Wi-Fi networks or physical location (possibly including a wider rollout spotted earlier)

Long-press tweaks in the Pixel Launcher for the Pixel 4

Pixel 4 screens set to adaptive brightness will get brighter now in strong, direct light (probably the hidden/disabled HBM support spotted last fall)

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

couldcareless posted:

I double tap power button all the time for camera. I'm the doofus that unlocks then slides down shade to open flashlight though instead of trying to automate that process some more.

I have a galaxy S10e with the bxActions app. I use bixby button long press for flashlight, short press to cycle through vibrate/silent modes. It works on the lock screen too so I haven't missed moto actions.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Oh I realised, just explaining the confusion. I remember using that year's back too

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

bull3964 posted:

Big Pixel feature drop starting today.

Pixel 2 gets Live Caption

Scheduled dark theme/mode, including sunset/sunrise triggers

Great now I miss my Pixel

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Only dark mode schedule anyone should need is turning it on permanently when you first get a pixel and then never again :coal:

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

I've fouund the Rules in my Settings menu (hidden all the way down in System), but nothing else; how do I get the rest? A reboot and 'check for updates' doesn't seem to have accomplished anything.

[e] probably a server-side thing, to answer my own question

spincube fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 2, 2020

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Hi guys maybe someone here can help - Nokia sure wasn't any. I am having an issue with my 5.1 plus with Android 9 and can’t find an answer anywhere.

When the phone is on and times out or the power button is pressed the screen turns off but then will turn right back on displaying the time and date on the middle of the screen and won’t turn back off. It will just display the date and time. The only way to get the screen to turn off is to turn the whole phone off which kind of defeats the purpose. I tried changing how long until it times out and I completely turned off the screen saver. Any ideas? Only got this phone on Friday but I don't really know if it has been doing it since then. I just noticed this now as most of my attention over the weekend was beer and fireball.

It's this particular phone figured I'd link it to be as specific as possible: https://tinyurl.com/vx8yd8y

Any help is appreciated.

Edit: Nevermind I was using the system UI tuner and accidentally turned on Ambient Display whilst drunk. When I only wanted it to always show the battery percentage and not just when charging. I don’t know why that cant be adjusted in a normal setting.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 2, 2020

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Drinking and android; not even once.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Also putting your phone on the counter above the cats water bowl - uggghhhh. First time I had a phone that didn't die from old age, but still not completely my fault. CAAAAT!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Edit: Nevermind I was using the system UI tuner and accidentally turned on Ambient Display whilst drunk. When I only wanted it to always show the battery percentage and not just when charging. I don’t know why that cant be adjusted in a normal setting.

Did you fastball it into the wall?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

https://youtu.be/-wOdL7HFNOs

MKBHD has his S20 Ultra review up.

He says it's going to be his phone for the foreseeable future with hopes that Samsung does some good stuff with updates. As it sits now, he still puts the camera at 3rd place behind the Pixel and iPhone and basically says the 8k video is unusable.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
:laffo: oh yeah, totally sounds like a good use of $1400

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Why would you drop $1400 on a phone in the hopes that it'll be fixed in the future? I mean, it might be but if you're paying that much for a device it should have an expectation. Especially when this isn't Samsungs first rodeo so...

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Foreseeable future is September '20 at the latest.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Could be even sooner depending on what OnePlus does. His phone for most of 2019 was the OP7P.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Mkbhd is an iPhone guy like every other tech YouTuber actually.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Does anyone else have a problem with the Pixel 3a/3aXL and bluetooth volume?

Just got one.. and I've discovered the volume over Bluetooth is substantially lower than my Pixel 2. And I see the issue with every Bluetooth device I pair it with.

In my car I have to turn the radio up to about 60% for a usable level, whereas my old Pixel 2 was around 25-30% which is more or less the same as other media sources.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

The cards and passes power button thing in the march pixel update is cool, though its a shame it doesn't bring up loyalty cards too

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Skarsnik posted:

The cards and passes power button thing in the march pixel update is cool, though its a shame it doesn't bring up loyalty cards too

Are you sure that it doesn't? Pay has historically presented loyalty cards when you're near the place.

I'll agree I really like cards being there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I've never had pay offer me a loyalty card without manually picking it from inside the app, but I've not tried the new setup near a shop yet to be fair