Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

So, my last level was built to be difficult with the simple gimmick of dealing with platforming hazards caused by a little bit of water, but I eventually decided to experiment/caved and decided to see how it would fare if I made it the easiest of my platforming levels.

Surely enough, the play-to-like ratio is twice as high (1:6 to 1:3) and higher comment proportion, as well. I think it's sitting at about 25% clear rate.

I'm sure there are other intervening factors as well, and etc, I just find this more fascinating than it really is and want charts and statistics.

Also, I might just put out the original version, remixed how I originally intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Well I wanted to make something vaguely in that theme I missed but it didn't seem right to do it legit... so I made a fake.

Hot Counterfeit Mountain: 0M9-H0X-D8G

Hot Counterfeit Mountain Rev 2: 837-RXW-TLF

edit: new and improved!

Found Sound posted:

it's been a while but i felt the calling. the calling for another wacky goomba factory level

another strange factory - JRT-B96-71H

This is just complex enough to make it look simpler than it is while still being really comfortable, if that makes sense. There's a lot of parts where you want to take if faster than you should but are still pretty trivial if you don't. It's a cute theme.

Phantasium fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Mar 2, 2020

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Will play through the threads levels tonight, really sick this morning and hopped up on pain killers so my focus is kinda spotty.

I hope this isn't sloppier than my usual levels but I wanted to make a stage based around 3 main tools- Pokey, Beat Blocks and Track Blocks. There are power ups but your more in danger of getting crushed than beat to death :v:

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

Phantasium posted:

Well I wanted to make something vaguely in that theme I missed but it didn't seem right to do it legit... so I made a fake.

Hot Counterfeit Mountain: 0M9-H0X-D8G

Nice level, I liked it! I kept getting clipped by those lava bubbles in the bomb detonation section, which made me mad, but I just needed to be patient with my jump timings.

So somehow my first level got popular suddenly and I logged in and saw 800 plays! With new motivation to crank out the stages, I made:

snowshi's fiery cable car

JTN-7R3-HDF

I'm proud of it and think it's an improvement on my first attempt. So it's been sad watching my maker score go down as everyone that has played it seems to be booing it lol. Someone tell me what i did wrong!

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Norton posted:

Nice level, I liked it! I kept getting clipped by those lava bubbles in the bomb detonation section, which made me mad, but I just needed to be patient with my jump timings.

So somehow my first level got popular suddenly and I logged in and saw 800 plays! With new motivation to crank out the stages, I made:

snowshi's fiery cable car

JTN-7R3-HDF

I'm proud of it and think it's an improvement on my first attempt. So it's been sad watching my maker score go down as everyone that has played it seems to be booing it lol. Someone tell me what i did wrong!

It's hard to say if people are booing levels. Even if they just don't leave a like that's enough to make your points go down. People can be weird about leaving likes. Most people will only like a stage if they can beat it so you can write off the abandons right away. Some players will only like things that are super novel, and others just can't be bothered to like anything at all. With as few plays as your new one has I wouldn't sweat it too much. I played it and it was a fine romp. It's not particularly memorable in the sea of levels, but it's well decorated and not too difficult so it'll probably end up fine.

Also the maker point system is completely bizarre and inscrutable. Once you've had a popular course it seems like it will then judge your other courses more harshly for not living up to that standard.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

there's a reason why they started just putting your amassed likes on your page instead of emphasizing your maker level, and that's because the maker level is a garbage metric

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've decided to try making a 3D World Level. I've never really used these tools and I'm trying to get used to what does and doesn't work in this ruleset. Any tips for making fun 3D world levels? The only thing I know I'm doing is that I'm not going to use Cat Mario or the Car

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Well first you turn the autoscroll to the fastest setting...

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Maker points are strange and mysterious and boy do I wish you weren't forced to watch them go down without any real knowledge as to why. When the game released watching my gold medal get stripped away was heartbreaking. :smith: Best answer is to just give up and don't worry about it.
E: Speaking of, just lost my bronze medal :sigh:

That said, played some more - did I miss any new courses?

another strange factory - Found Sound
This level is really well decorated and it looks nice but at the same time I found it a little visually overwhelming. I didn't die but I got hit by a few goombas that sprang through a floor I didn't realize was actually a floor.
It's a really really minor gripe though. I'm down for fun breezy levels

Hot Counterfeit Mountain - Phantasium
I liked it for the most part! The end bit with the two blasters seemed to kind of drag on without anything to spice it up and when a muncher in the last room killed me I couldn't help but groan as I'd have to do that again.
Also the final set up with the munchers and bombs exploded incorrectly I think, it left some cement blocks and a bob-omb walking around and I had to take a couple hits so I could become small Luigi to finish the stage.
Really not bad, can just use a bit of punching up on the blaster section!

snowshi's fiery cable car - Norton
An extremely adorable level, goodness. The care that went into how everything looks is honestly pretty inspiring and I liked your flock of birds with the blue spiketops (though I bonked on one group near the start and nearly lost yoshi thanks to the camera)
I honestly don't have a lot more to add, you did a great job making a fun little scenic expierence. I wouldn't be surprised if this one lands in the hot courses tab :v:

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 2, 2020

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Just fyi, I "Like" levels, even if I abandon them; if the effort was there and I just suck, I don't fault the designer.

But I'll abandon a lovely looking/playing one in a heartbeat, obviously without a like.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I "like" any level that appears to have a modicum of effort put into it.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Pakled posted:

I "like" any level that appears to have a modicum of effort put into it.

Yep, same here. On the other hand, I will boo any level that has choose-a-pipe/guess or die, a dev door, or outright enemy spam.

I will "Meh" any level that I encounter in multiplayer that just seems broken for multiplayer.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
It's been way too long since I've uploaded a level, so I thought I'd make a classic. Oh wait, something's wrong in:

1-1 but it's Armageddon
JY6-3PM-6SG

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Hot Counterfeit Mountain - Phantasium
Also the final set up with the munchers and bombs exploded incorrectly I think, it left some cement blocks and a bob-omb walking around and I had to take a couple hits so I could become small Luigi to finish the stage.
Really not bad, can just use a bit of punching up on the blaster section!

was it the final one? if so i think i know how to fix it.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Phantasium posted:

was it the final one? if so i think i know how to fix it.

Yeah it was the final one

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yeah it was the final one

Alright I fixed that and changed some stuff based on your feedback, as well as a couple other things.

Hot Counterfeit Mountain Rev 2: 837-RXW-TLF

Probably not actually worth playing again if you've already touched it.

P.S. that took way longer than I thought to fix those things

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

1-1 but it's Armageddon - Suspicious Cook
A lot more simple than I expected when it comes to blasting through it. It's a fun novel concept though. The bowsers at the top of the screen didn't really do much to slow me down so was able to just kind of twirl jump through and finish in just a few seconds .
It did provide a rather silly sight though if you jumped high enough the giant bowsers would kick you in the head because their feet were just low enough.
It's 1-1 though so there's not too much to say really.

Hot Counterfeit Mountain Rev 2 - Phantasium
Went ahead and played the new and improved version and I think it plays a lot better this way! The red blaster caught me off guard as it wasted *no* time in shooting me in the face but I really didn't mind it.
The level layout is still really fun and giving the player more to do during the segment was a good call in general. I think you nailed it in my opinion!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Some good old fashioned running and jumping with a mish-mash of enemies and secrets.

Think I'm gonna try to make something elaborate with clear pipes, they're pretty cool.

In Training fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 2, 2020

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I really enjoy the platforming of Super Mario 3D World, but the style just lacks so many of the tools of the other four. That said, this will be the second level I've made using this theme, albeit the first traditional platformer:

Super Spike Bounce Ball
JYX-BF2-Y2G

"Fungus among us flung us into spikes humongous."

Standard platforming level with Spike, spike balls, inclines, water physics, and bouncy fungus as the gimmick. I tried to make a level where the difficulty scales depending on how you approach it. And, based on how some people play this game, I suspect this is going to have a sub 10% clear rate, and a low level of Likes. It is a counterpart to Plumber's Plant Panic.

Which sucks, because all the gimmicks can be circumvented, and just like all my other levels, there is a golden path, as well as secrets that bypass the major hazards.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

In Training posted:

Some good old fashioned running and jumping with a mish-mash of enemies and secrets.

Think I'm gonna try to make something elaborate with clear pipes, they're pretty cool.

I have to admit, I died once to that last damned fire bro, who nearly killed me again as I exited the pipe the second time through ("Uh oh," I thought, as I entered the pipe with it after getting hit once).

I suspect this is part of what you meant about the clear pipes and I feel I am enabling you.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Did my first Ninji speedrun while it was live and got a gold rank. Neato :v:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I really wish there was an easier way to search because I now want to play literally every 1-1 remix. I'm hooked. I recently played "1-1.exe has encountered an error" and thought it was great.

I think it'd be neat if all of us goons tried our hands at a 1-1 remix/adaptation. Something more than just doing the level in a different style. The one where it was rotated 90 degrees was fantastic.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I really wish there was an easier way to search because I now want to play literally every 1-1 remix. I'm hooked. I recently played "1-1.exe has encountered an error" and thought it was great.

I think it'd be neat if all of us goons tried our hands at a 1-1 remix/adaptation. Something more than just doing the level in a different style. The one where it was rotated 90 degrees was fantastic.

One of my older levels, but does this count :v: ?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

One of my older levels, but does this count :v: ?

I'll be checking this out tonight, when I can!

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

You all have been busy I see! Here's my level list for tonight's stream at 5 PM PST/8 PM EST

https://www.twitch.tv/onemoretimegfsn

1. Pipe Plaza
By: ThisIsACool Guy 41C-7FV-7SF

2. another strange factory
By: Found Sound JRT-B96-71H

3. Hot Counterfeit Mountain Rev 2
By: Phantasium 837-RXW-TLF

4. Disco Desert
By: ThisIsACoolGuy 83P-XRH-GVG

5. Snowshi's fiery cable car
By: Norton JTN-7R3-HDF

6. 1-1 but it's Armageddon
By: Suspicious Cook JY6-3PM-6SG

7. Toy-Box Trials
By: In Training BBJ-DY6-PVF

8. Super Spike Bounce Ball
By: Prowler JYX-BF2-Y2G

9. Giant Cucco Demands Tribute!
By: KonamiCode GXS-L2M-GDG

10. Roter Hering
By: Andobal G8N-R54-8PF

11. Short simple snow speedrun (10s)
By: Dumbestgoatonmars XY3-H5G-1YF

12. The Lost Sanctum Finale (HARD)
By: Boluke20 2J9-21W-3KG

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

Yeah those can be real good. I don't know if I'm creative enough to come up with anything, but I want to give it a try when I get off work tonight.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Am I alone in thinking that 1-1 remakes are horribly overdone and uncreative? Seriously, I got Mario Maker 2 back in January, my first entry into the series, have only played maybe 100 unique courses, and even I'm sick of them.

I think it would be more interesting to build around a specific theme or item.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Prowler posted:

Am I alone in thinking that 1-1 remakes are horribly overdone and uncreative? Seriously, I got Mario Maker 2 back in January, my first entry into the series, have only played maybe 100 unique courses, and even I'm sick of them.

I think it would be more interesting to build around a specific theme or item.

1-1 but a completely different level

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

nah i got tired of them about the same time as auto-levels

like a month into mario maker 1.

like yeah occasionally somebody does something completely bonkers but that isn't often

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I really liked the one goon level (was it Winter in 1-1?) that was 1-1 up until the sub-area, where you broke through a wall and it continued as its own unique underground stage that just felt like something that could plausibly have been in a real Mario game, and fondly reminded me of being a kid and wondering what might be just beyond the boundaries in levels that you couldn't cross.

Edit: Yes, it is Winter in 1-1.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 4, 2020

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Sorry, I mean specifically the bonkers ones. I don't care about "1-1 except no goombas" or some boring poo poo like that. I mean the crazy ones.

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

1-1 , but the blocks are slightly misplaced because I couldn't remember where they went

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Had anyone painstakingly remade the Nintendo made levels from SMM1? I'm specifically looking for the Bowser ones.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Going live in 15 minutes with some levels!

https://www.twitch.tv/onemoretimegfsn

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Cardio Canyon
Course ID: 62C-K6R-LRF
Difficulty: Expert

I've been having a hard time coming up with new level ideas lately but I felt like throwing something together. I ended up making a SMB1 level themed around conveyor belts even though I've already done of those.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Will go through the new courses in a bit buuut

Wanted to make a new chase stage with the theme of 'big everything'. It has a real tricky bit at the end and sometimes the last Meowser takes a second to catch up to you but I'm happy with it overall.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Oh, I made one of these.

https://twitter.com/SAMarioMaker/status/1157870941969371136

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Man you guys put up some good levels

Toy-Box Trials - In Training
Excellent level! I really enjoyed the layering and different paths in it and it felt like it was an official Ninji speedrun setup. Seeing how you funneled everything to the end was great and it just flowed really well over all. You should be super satisfied with the results of this one. Really good work!

Super Spike Bounce Ball - Prowler
A nice tough level, I died a couple times after the checkpoint to the two creepers and flying spike (mostly because I fell between them and spike decided to chuck a ball early at one point) but that aside it was good! I can certainly see how younger players are those not good at Mario Maker might struggle though- but hey I can appreciate it. You had a good use of coins as guides and similar to the Toy-Box level the different paths were handled in a tasteful way. Not a lot I could really suggest to improve it, it's just good!

Cardio Canyon - J-Spot
I am so sorry for what I did to this courses clear rate lmao. I thought I'd try to blind speedrun it and let me tell you just how awful o a idea that was.
For real though this is another winner from the list, the idea of a fitness canyon is really funny and seeing the enemies on treadmills or springs got a chuckle out of me. Soon as I stopped killing myself and gave up the whole 'blind speedrun thing' I managed to clear it first try. Really nice and surprisingly fast!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Double posting just because I'd like some opinions on checkpoints.

I'm making a level with a gimmick that I think is really cool- but in order for it to work I can only have a single checkpoint. I have enough ideas to make it last for a good while and boy am I enjoying making it but I know that a lot of people get frustrated if they make a good amount of progress only to beef it and have to start back at one a minute or so ago. Should I just cut back on my ideas to make it more friendly that way or just 'screw it go for as much as I can'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Double posting just because I'd like some opinions on checkpoints.

I'm making a level with a gimmick that I think is really cool- but in order for it to work I can only have a single checkpoint. I have enough ideas to make it last for a good while and boy am I enjoying making it but I know that a lot of people get frustrated if they make a good amount of progress only to beef it and have to start back at one a minute or so ago. Should I just cut back on my ideas to make it more friendly that way or just 'screw it go for as much as I can'?

I think you should perhaps try and make it a series of levels, if possible. Even if it's just two, that might work.