Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Adirondacks have an avy risk alert out for the winter storm coming in. Not that typical to see an avy warning out here in the Northeast.

Also when I volunteered with the race team, I didn't realize the extent of the politics and nonsense between the team and the mountain. I don't regret volunteering because I love supporting the kids but I wish I was blissfully ignorant of thise management/business stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, conditions out here aren't bad, but there hasn't been fresh snow for a while. So it's hard to know exactly how much of the lower numbers are from the lack of snow and how much are people cancelling their trips, but the lack of people in the village tells me the latter is definitely having some impact. It's usually way busier than it is right now, even in the middle of a random February week.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Last snow: Monday
Last waist deep turns inbounds: Today

Granted the chute to access said turns was, uh, questionable, but these skis already have 2-3 core shots each so I guess it's all good!

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
I’m flying into Denver tonight for a social-event weekend but I’m going to stick around for a few days of riding (mon tues weds). It’s my first time to properly ride in Colorado, most of my experience is in riding heavy wet snow in central Japan. I’m going to meet a friend and drive to whatever resort seems best—he has an epic pass and an ikon pass, and I don’t have any tickets/passes. I only brought one board, my salomon super 8 160 which is a large board for my weight. I like carving, trees and pow, riding transition and general free riding. I’d like to try a bit of technical terrain but would generally prefer exploring trees or cruising through varied terrain with good flow and features.

Where should we go?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Mongoose posted:

I’m flying into Denver tonight for a social-event weekend but I’m going to stick around for a few days of riding (mon tues weds). It’s my first time to properly ride in Colorado, most of my experience is in riding heavy wet snow in central Japan. I’m going to meet a friend and drive to whatever resort seems best—he has an epic pass and an ikon pass, and I don’t have any tickets/passes. I only brought one board, my salomon super 8 160 which is a large board for my weight. I like carving, trees and pow, riding transition and general free riding. I’d like to try a bit of technical terrain but would generally prefer exploring trees or cruising through varied terrain with good flow and features.

Where should we go?

I would do a Copper day and probably a Breck day. A-Basin if you want to get rowdy.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Double post but if you haven't seen "Dark Matter", T-Rice's film from fall, it is on Amazon Prime right now. It is possibly his best film. Which is saying quite a lot.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

spwrozek posted:

Double post but if you haven't seen "Dark Matter", T-Rice's film from fall, it is on Amazon Prime right now. It is possibly his best film. Which is saying quite a lot.

thank you

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

The ender line on that film is ridiculous.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Going to be at Vail Thursday - Sunday. Snow seems like it may be good, but have the crowds still been as crazy as reported a few weeks back?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Residency Evil posted:

Going to be at Vail Thursday - Sunday. Snow seems like it may be good, but have the crowds still been as crazy as reported a few weeks back?

That was honestly just a pretty weird once a year, starts align, situation. You might have crowds on Saturday and Sunday but peak people should be passing.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

highme posted:

The ender line on that film is ridiculous.

For sure man. It is just 25 minutes of insane riding.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

spwrozek posted:

To quote the film, "Holy gently caress"

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Dangerllama posted:

Looks like they removed Aspen and Jackson from the Ikon Base Pass. It’s now a $150 upgrade to buy five days (Ikon Base Plus Pass)

Chalk up a W for the whiny JH and Aspen locals!

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

My boots felt a bit weird today, and I only worked out after 500m of climbing that I'd forgotten to put the insoles back in this morning. It feels like the soles of my feet have been sandpapered.

Skied (badly) down, bought some insoles and skinned back up to eat an enormous burger. Its a very pretty place:

e: that's the Weisshorn (4500m) in the background left of centre in case anyone is interested. You can't quite see the Matterhorn from here but it's round the corner on the right.

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Feb 29, 2020

highme
May 25, 2001

Just got to Meadows so we can run some make up boardercross heats around noon. There's probably 4 solid inches (tell Mrs McMurray) of new snow and it's still puking. Really thankful the league we're sharing the course with today was adamant they went first.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

knox_harrington posted:

My boots felt a bit weird today, and I only worked out after 500m of climbing that I'd forgotten to put the insoles back in this morning. It feels like the soles of my feet have been sandpapered.

That is completely brutal.

mystes
May 31, 2006

:rip: your feet but that looks awesome.

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

spwrozek posted:

:agreed:

That along with As the Crow Flies has been on repeat in the shop.

It’s like two years old or something at this point, but still one of my favorites: https://youtu.be/UGdif-dwu-8

highme
May 25, 2001

Whoop, just busted out a quick 10k feet of snow cobra hunting. Lots of fresh turns still available, but we grabbed the best lines, sorry not sorry

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

no friends on powder days

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

highme posted:

Wash your hands as much as possible. Would be a shame if you brought COVID-19 back to the 3252.

I think my body is 50% hand sanitizer at this point. I hope the black and gold are ready for me!

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I have two trips in the next 45 days or so, the Coronavirus has me worried about them. Luckily I got the trip insurance though.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I have 2 trips to Tahoe this month, I really hope I don't sick and have to stay home. I'm in the Bay Area so it isn't a unrealistic possibility.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Also made a belt out of ski straps for my buddy.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Macnult posted:

no friends on powder days

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Anyone have experience with the new-ish Step On bindings? I'm looking for a stiffer boarding setup and was looking at the Jones Flagship, not sure if the Photons/Step Ons will be stiff enough to match a fairly stiff freeride board though.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

knox_harrington posted:

Skied (badly) down, bought some insoles and skinned back up to eat an enormous burger. Its a very pretty place:

e: that's the Weisshorn (4500m) in the background left of centre in case anyone is interested. You can't quite see the Matterhorn from here but it's round the corner on the right.

Gorgeous

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Anyone have experience with the new-ish Step On bindings? I'm looking for a stiffer boarding setup and was looking at the Jones Flagship, not sure if the Photons/Step Ons will be stiff enough to match a fairly stiff freeride board though.

I remember step in bindings being terrible when you fall in powder. Did they fix that?

highme
May 25, 2001

Yes, Burton's recent iteration is exponentially better than the early garbage versions. I haven't ridden them, but a couple of guys I know who's opinion I trust converted after riding once.

Funny story about old step-ins. Last weekend in the lodge before our comp one of the other volunteers tells me he brought up his "legacy" board, "it's a K2 Fatbob with step-ins." Later as I'm getting ready to head up to course I see him walking back into the lodge full Charlie Brown moping with the sole of one of his boots in his hand. Shockingly 15-20 year old glue doesn't hold up all that great.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

My biggest issue with the step-ons is price and do the boots for your foot. If they don't it is no go. I also use my boots when splitting so kind of an issue there too.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

My photons feel quite stiff to me, but I have no basis of comparison except to the Vans Aura, Burton Ruler, and Salomon Dialogue. All of those were noticeably softer.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I didn't think the step on bindings worked with non-EST (read: non-burton) boards? As in they won't bolt to a jones board.

highme
May 25, 2001

They sell a Reflex version. Burton would love it if you put their expensive bindings on their expensive boards, but they're happy to sell a version to go on other boards as well.

Also, Endeavor makes boards with the channel too.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

highme posted:

Funny story about old step-ins. Last weekend in the lodge before our comp one of the other volunteers tells me he brought up his "legacy" board, "it's a K2 Fatbob with step-ins." Later as I'm getting ready to head up to course I see him walking back into the lodge full Charlie Brown moping with the sole of one of his boots in his hand. Shockingly 15-20 year old glue doesn't hold up all that great.

Lol, I saw an older guy in the lift line last weekend with old step-ons and his front boot upper had just split fro the sole, creating a perfect hole to encase his toes with slush

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

If you’re dead set on Burton’s Step On bindings and prioritizing stiffness, you’re gonna want to go with a pair of Ions

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

I have the ions, the boots are stiffer than the old salomons I had previously. The way the binding connects to the boot makes it feel more responsive, but that might just be my dumb brain telling me the money was worth it. This is my second season on them, and I did break a boot, but it was because I was removing the rear cleat to use them for splitboarding, and in any case Burton just gave me a new set of boots.
I haven't had any trouble in deep powder, any more than normal bindings, you still have to brush the bulk of the now out of the footbed if it is super deep.
The big party piece is being able to stomp into the binding on the move, so skate a couple times, click in, then loudly complain about having to wait for skiers to play with their poles and boots and things.

To;dr. I am a believer in the new step-ons

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Can you tell me more about how you use them on a split setup?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Skiing tomorrow for the first time since I broke my fibula in early January. Wish me luck! Gonna do my best to break zero bones if possible.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Can you tell me more about how you use them on a split setup?

Yeah, this is very interesting to me too. Granted I love the deluxee xv for splitting.

Got out with eejit and the ladies today. Sniffed out the good snow which was awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

ReverendCode posted:

I have the ions, the boots are stiffer than the old salomons I had previously. The way the binding connects to the boot makes it feel more responsive, but that might just be my dumb brain telling me the money was worth it. This is my second season on them, and I did break a boot, but it was because I was removing the rear cleat to use them for splitboarding, and in any case Burton just gave me a new set of boots.
I haven't had any trouble in deep powder, any more than normal bindings, you still have to brush the bulk of the now out of the footbed if it is super deep.
The big party piece is being able to stomp into the binding on the move, so skate a couple times, click in, then loudly complain about having to wait for skiers to play with their poles and boots and things.

To;dr. I am a believer in the new step-ons

Yep, I bought boots + bindings today. Only got about a half day on them but holy sheiiiiiit they're fantastic. I've got clicking in on the move mostly down and they're a real game changer. I ended up going with the Photons as the shop didn't have Ions and they honestly felt plenty stiff compared to my 5 year old DC Controls that were a size too big.

A new board is next up, I currently have a 155cm Niche Knew which is very much a park board. I demoed a Nitro Dropout in 156 today and between the boots that fit, bindings, and much stiffer board with camber it was night and day.

I had my heart set on a Jones Flagship or Frontier, but the closest place that demos them is Revelstoke (4 hours each way) and I'm not dropping $900 on a board without trying it first.