Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

Vlad posted:

IT'S LEATH—you know what? I don't have to deal with this, I'm a contractor. Deal's off. Put me back in the book. I'd rather deal with the Archon than these assholes.

:smugwizard: And he should be back in 3...2...1--

:drac: MOTHER HUMPING HUMPERS!

:smugwizard: I take it you had a good time while you were gone?

:drac: ...Eat a dick. Just...eat a dick.

:smugwizard: ...That rough, huh? Look, go ahead and rest man, we've held down the fort well enough while you were gone, we can do so at least one day longer.

:drac: That..that actually sounds nice.

...Did you happen to finally get laid, bro?

:smugwizard: Pffft, I wish; nah, it's more that if I abuse you any more mentally right now, you'd snap, and then who would take my poo poo? Franky? He'd utterly pulverize my poo poo while whistling a jaunty tune. Probably the same with the new guy. The puppet just plain creeps me out, and the others would just inflict some manner of not as painful torture on me.

:drac: That's...sweet of you?

:smugwizard: That, you're the only one who's name I cam reliably remember.

:drac: ...Hell with it, this is probably as good as it's going to get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

FeyerbrandX posted:

Wow, what's it do?

Its symbolic Frank, Things don't always have to do things. Now, help me plug it into the wall.

Hot drat, I finally get to use the fan art placeholder!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Okay. So. Good news and bad.

The good news is, we've successfully imported our jerks into Bonds and are ready to go there. Some design shenanigans ensued, but they were (mostly) on purpose.

The bad news is...

we can't get our second mage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSxECJNYPuA

I'm not going to hide this as a spoiler anymore: Sternn is our candidate for changing classes since thief abilities are "lmfao why" in late game. My plan was to dual class Sternn after he picked up some rapid HP/levels from being a thief. However, in order to dual class he needs a 15 in his current class' prime stat (dex, no sweat here) and a 17 in his target class (INT, obviously). I didn't know those rules and pushed (B)egin Adventure without a 17 in intelligence. We need everyone else to stay the same class, so now the entire plan's hosed to all hell.

So, here's the deal. It's vote time. Pick one of the following options:

A) Soldier through to the end with a ridiculously high level thief. This will obviously be the hardest and least fun, but if the will of the thread demands it, it shall be done.
B) Cross our fingers and hope we can find something to boost Sternn's IQ 2 points so we can do the class change normally. Has the benefit of preserving his fighting ability and backstab for something that is by no means guarateed.
C) Crack open the hex editor and put our collective thumbs on the scale. I'm less inclined to think this violates the "clean run only" rule since you're literally allowed to edit your new characters in Curse before you start AND we're giving up access to ranger/bard/paladin with our loadout.

Voting lasts until whenever I feel like it. One vote and one choice per person, obvo.

Thanks!

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Voting C

I can't imagine Stern would have it any other way.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Chokes McGee posted:

Okay. So. Good news and bad.

The good news is, we've successfully imported our jerks into Bonds and are ready to go there. Some design shenanigans ensued, but they were (mostly) on purpose.

The bad news is...

we can't get our second mage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSxECJNYPuA

I'm not going to hide this as a spoiler anymore: Sternn is our candidate for changing classes since thief abilities are "lmfao why" in late game. My plan was to dual class Sternn after he picked up some rapid HP/levels from being a thief. However, in order to dual class he needs a 15 in his current class' prime stat (dex, no sweat here) and a 17 in his target class (INT, obviously). I didn't know those rules and pushed (B)egin Adventure without a 17 in intelligence. We need everyone else to stay the same class, so now the entire plan's hosed to all hell.

So, here's the deal. It's vote time. Pick one of the following options:

A) Soldier through to the end with a ridiculously high level thief. This will obviously be the hardest and least fun, but if the will of the thread demands it, it shall be done.
B) Cross our fingers and hope we can find something to boost Sternn's IQ 2 points so we can do the class change normally. Has the benefit of preserving his fighting ability and backstab for something that is by no means guarateed.
C) Crack open the hex editor and put our collective thumbs on the scale. I'm less inclined to think this violates the "clean run only" rule since you're literally allowed to edit your new characters in Curse before you start AND we're giving up access to ranger/bard/paladin with our loadout.

Voting lasts until whenever I feel like it. One vote and one choice per person, obvo.

Thanks!

do C, but if you feel its unfair just lower one of the other stats by 2.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
C. Cheat. Cheat like the wind! Besides, what has the game done for you lately?

No, seriously, I'm cool with blatant cheating; hell, maybe you could write it off as a hiccup/sneeze of goddess power altering him, and wouldn't you know it, it was only good for that one time.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
So what I'm hearing is, cheating's okay, if you have

:ocelot::grin:

charisma.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I mean, I was going to suggest hex editing Sternn to be a Paladin because he conned a god. But cheating is fine. I mean, hex editing in a necklace of fireballs for crappy boring combat is also fine as long as you still think you can give a entertaining and within sneezing distance of fair (a distant secondary concern) description of the normal gameplay.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

C, and you could even (keeping this as oblique as possible) use the events that kick off Curse as a narrative justification for the stat boost if you feel the need.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!

docbeard posted:

C, and you could even (keeping this as oblique as possible) use the events that kick off Curse as a narrative justification for the stat boost if you feel the need.

This works for me. Considering I sometimes moved or deleted the Monsters' Magic Abilities data file to help myself win certain fights in Curse of the Azure Bonds and Pools of Darkness after finding online instructions in doing so, I have no business protesting cheating with a hex editor. Just be careful you know what you're doing and don't somehow wreck your game and/or computer. I still got my rear end kicked by monster strength, AC, and numbers alone quite a lot, the fights are that bad.

Funny, my party usually consisted of a Paladin, a Ranger, two Mages, a Cleric, and a Thief. The Thief was usually just in case I needed one, I suppose a second Cleric could compensate. Regardless, I'm eager to see what you have planned.

(BTW, my judgment of your pace still has 4-5 updates before we finish Pool of Radiance, if I'm right.)

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
C. What even is the point of having magic if you can't throw hexes around like it's no thang?

A9 11 8D 04 60. It's what Sternn would want, and The Bishop would understand.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
C

It seems to be the most in-character option. Maybe Hannover accidentally smashes through the hex code rather than a wall.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I guess my question to you, Chokes, is that was there at any point in the first game where Sternn having 17 Int instead of 15 Int would have changed anything? If not, then C, otherwise C, but with a humorous explanation for why he is slightly smarter now.
I mean, you said you always intended for him to be the mage so no harm, no foul.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

12 Since we're going to hexedit him.

But yeah, don't skimp on your narrative causality. Maybe just tank some stat for fun to balance the scales.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Randalor posted:

I guess my question to you, Chokes, is that was there at any point in the first game where Sternn having 17 Int instead of 15 Int would have changed anything? If not, then C, otherwise C, but with a humorous explanation for why he is slightly smarter now.
I mean, you said you always intended for him to be the mage so no harm, no foul.
Chokes says that you have the opportunity to change the characters' stats when you import them, so he could've fixed the problem when he imported Sternn into the second game. Still would've had to explain the discrepancy, but it could've been something as simple as "Hey, I found this book and now thinking is easier!" (Note: I have no idea if the Tome of Clear Thought exists in the Gold Box games)

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Definitely C and dualclass him, but you also have to use him for the wizard with the sphere encounter (Mild Curse spoiler that shouldn’t make much sense if you haven’t played it).

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
Another vote for C here. It's very in character for Sternn to try and cheat himself an edge.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Randalor posted:

I guess my question to you, Chokes, is that was there at any point in the first game where Sternn having 17 Int instead of 15 Int would have changed anything?

Nope, and that's ultimately the justification I'm using to preserve my "clean run" status. INT makes absolutely no difference for his character path in PoR. The only thing it changes is making me say a lot of nasty words when I found out it was too late to fix it. Thus, an 0F has been changed to a 11, and we are back on our planned trajectory. Voting is (obviously) now closed.

Thanks, guys!

Commander Keene posted:

Chokes says that you have the opportunity to change the characters' stats when you import them, so he could've fixed the problem when he imported Sternn into the second game.

Incorrect, unfortunately. Imported characters can't be altered AFAIK, which is how we got into this mess

Commander Keene posted:

Still would've had to explain the discrepancy, but it could've been something as simple as "Hey, I found this book and now thinking is easier!"

:thunk:

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012
I was going to vote for option D: come up with a narrative excuse to be able to rotate party members and swap in Willow or Llewyn when you need more casters.

But failing that, C is the "Sternnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!" thing to do.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

DGM_2 posted:

I was going to vote for option D: come up with a narrative excuse to be able to rotate party members and swap in Willow or Llewyn when you need more casters.

But failing that, C is the "Sternnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!" thing to do.

I forgot waaaaaaaaaaay back when before we even got off the ground with the very first wizardry rp that I cheated and edited everyone's stats. Long way to go to get back to where we started

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I was going to chime in that GBC, I believe, has tools for this, but you already did it the hard way so never mind.

I've hex-edited a bit in the past and I find it to be a royal pain in the sphincter

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

JustJeff88 posted:

I was going to chime in that GBC, I believe, has tools for this, but you already did it the hard way so never mind.

I've hex-edited a bit in the past and I find it to be a royal pain in the sphincter

Finding the info was the hard part. The gods have us the Bless editor for a reason :twisted:

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Yeah cheating in the stats is definitely in character for Stern. Could also blame it on Rezen's goddess powers randomly activating.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Hell, I'd settle for a joke where someone demands to see which character sheet and it has the 5 scribled out and a 7 written in its place.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

C, It's the Stern thing to do

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Since the latter three games in the series support Paladins and Rangers, I think that it would be fun if one or both of those were incorporated. This party has multiple fighters, and fighters are mechanically very boring in most D&D versions.

Before anyone says anything, yes GBC has a utility for this and no, I am not receiving any money for this endorsement. Fantasy games in general suffer from non-magical classes being as bland as beige.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Yeah I think Justine should dual class to Paladin, she's the only Lawful Good character in the party

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
There's a line in Aliens where Ripley asks, "Did IQs drop sharply while I was away?".

Maybe Sternn didn't get smarter, maybe everybody else just got more stupid!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

wafflemoose posted:

Yeah I think Justine should dual class to Paladin, she's the only Lawful Good character in the party

PRETTY sure you can't dual class a transferred character into a non-basic class but what do I know :shrug:

It's too late now at any rate

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
So things are going well with the LP right now. I just accidentally deleted the video for the entire section dealing the Wealthy District, Temple of Bane, and Mace. :ughh:

Among other things, we missed the world's stupidest patrol, an old pervy orc trying to feel up Heather and getting his head handed to him, and a half-orc Shaman literally named Mace after his Mace +2. More important is the Dust of Disappearance (:siren: DO NOT POST FURTHER DETAILS ABOUT THAT YOU DORKS :siren:). I'm going to write all the loot off in story as another bribe to keep Sternn on task but we're gonna jump straight to the Kobold Caves after this. At least it's getting us to Curse faster. We may make it by summer!

Appreciate the patience. I should have an update out soonish.

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Mar 2, 2020

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Chokes McGee posted:

PRETTY sure you can't dual class a transferred character into a non-basic class but what do I know :shrug:

Characters cannot be dual-classed into or out of a paladin in D&D rules or changed in transfer, regrettably. Having a mechanic where a simple fighter becomes a sainted holy warrior blessed by the gods would be grand.

I did back-check and apparently the GBC lets players make paladins & rangers in Pools of Radiance and then transfer them. PoR didn't support these classes, but all of the later games did and GBC just extends that option into the first game.

The Krynn trilogy added a lot more flavour and variety to class options, but I'm pretty sure that Dragonlance has a strict policy against the riff-raff in this game.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

So things are going well with the LP right now. I just accidentally deleted the video for the entire section dealing the Wealthy District, Temple of Bane, and Mace. :ughh:

I don't suppose you're on Windows and you just forgot to check the recycle bin?

quote:

PRETTY sure you can't dual class a transferred character into a non-basic class but what do I know

Considering that you're already cheating a couple of extra points of INT for Sternn, my first response to that is "Says who?" Granted, it would be OOC for Justine to cheat her way into paladinhood herself, but that doesn't mean Sternn can't swindle God and church behind her back...

DGM_2 fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 2, 2020

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
And she *is* already a Lord Lady. So she's got the nobility too.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

DGM_2 posted:

I don't suppose you're on Windows and you just forgot to check the recycle bin?

I'm on Linux and I managed to somehow delete it off my backup drive. My old-school game recording laptop has a pretty puny SSD so I can't keep a bunch of playthrough videos on it at once or I run out of space fast. I was trying to drop extraneous false starts so I could get to the next update and whoops.

The good news is, I was smart enough to do one mission per recording, so we can by and large drop it without missing much.

GoingPostal posted:

And she *is* already a Lord Lady Lord. So she's got the nobility too.

Ftfy

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012
Alternative idea: Rezen's goddess powers kick in just long enough to grant Justine paladinhood, so instead of having to thank one of Sternn's con jobs for her holy powers she's technically required to worship the loopy mage.

Either way, comedy goldmine.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
So are we reconstructing the Mace update with backup saves or skipping it thanks to your mishap? If the latter, fine, everybody gets one, but be careful and thx for letting us know the highlights. I’ll say more about my fond memories of the area once you post the update or confirm it’s not happening. :(

I don’t know, Dragonlance allows Kender. They probably have low riffraff standards.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Hey, down the line, if one or more party members permanently bite it, Chokes has plenty of other schlubs beloved characters that can make an appearance. Like Trog!

...actually, now I kinda want to see how Trog would be as a Paladin.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

DGM_2 posted:

Alternative idea: Rezen's goddess powers kick in just long enough to grant Justine paladinhood, so instead of having to thank one of Sternn's con jobs for her holy powers she's technically required to worship the loopy mage.

Either way, comedy goldmine.

This I like.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
Since you're jumping directly from Radiance to Curse, I suppose this means the mad solo adventures of Sternn in Hillsfar are completely out of the question?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
oh my loving gods the amiga version of curse is a mess

like it's already dodgy whenever you import a character into curse but I'm seeing crazy poo poo like someone's strength jumping to 100 or having -27468 plat. I'm frantically correcting with a hex editor as I go to keep crashes/permanent bugs from happening and hoping the wheels don't come off the whole thing when I hit endgame

Truthkeeper posted:

Since you're jumping directly from Radiance to Curse, I suppose this means the mad solo adventures of Sternn in Hillsfar are completely out of the question?

Absolutely. The four main games are on the menu right now, and Curse is slowly grinding me down and we haven't even gotten to the worst parts of Blades