Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
Anybody know what music vid this is from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

socketwrencher posted:

Anybody know what music vid this is from?

Daniel Powter - Bad Day

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Thanks! You made someone in my house very happy.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Anyone have any advice for setting a value on a unique donation?

I'm giving a collection of old family documents to a museum, and they've asked me to assign it a value for tax purposes. The collection includes 40+ years of records that have a good amount of historical interest (and potential research value) beyond just my family and the immediate area they lived in. I can't find info on any similar kind of collection that's been sold, and I didn't bother getting any offers from antique dealers before taking everything to the museum because I wanted to make sure all this stuff was preserved and in an archive somewhere rather than just selling it.

The paperwork that the museum sent said that any value of $5,000 or more requires an appraisal, which I don't really want to bother with organizing and paying for. Does it seem reasonable to just say it's worth $4,500 and ask for a receipt in that amount? One of the archivists that I showed the collection to said he'd never seen anything like it, so I feel like any amount will end up being fairly arbitrary.

beeaar
Dec 16, 2005
(Texas goon here) I have an injury and probably won't be able to do my job much longer as a result

i might also not be able to work for a short period of time. (they already denied me workers comp)

should I just quit, or should i ask to be "dismissed" so that i can apply for unemployment?

the minus is obviously that I will have to disclose it at future job interviews.

the plus is that it may honestly be a month or two before i find another job... and I don't have any other source of income right now.

what do you guys think? anybody with any experience?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

beeaar posted:

(Texas goon here) I have an injury and probably won't be able to do my job much longer as a result

i might also not be able to work for a short period of time. (they already denied me workers comp)

should I just quit, or should i ask to be "dismissed" so that i can apply for unemployment?

the minus is obviously that I will have to disclose it at future job interviews.

the plus is that it may honestly be a month or two before i find another job... and I don't have any other source of income right now.

Why do you need to disclose what at future job interviews?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

beeaar posted:

I think you need a lawyer if you got hurt at work, can’t work because of it, and got denied workers’ comp.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I know in some places or countries, you're not allowed to walk around all nude with your things just flapping in the breeze, but could you walk around in completely see-through clothing so that people can see what's going on or is that prohibited also?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Crankit posted:

I know in some places or countries, you're not allowed to walk around all nude with your things just flapping in the breeze, but could you walk around in completely see-through clothing so that people can see what's going on or is that prohibited also?

In Canada the definition of "nude" is basically a crazy catch-all that covers your example. https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/c-46/section-174.html

quote:

For the purposes of this section, a person is nude who is so clad as to offend against public decency or order.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

beeaar posted:

Seconding a lawyer. A quick ~30 minute consult should be cheap, or possibly free. This should be enough for them to get an idea of whether you have something worth discussing in more detail (which would cost money). Make sure that when you call to schedule this you ask what documentation (if any) to bring in so they can better evaluate your situation.

It sounds like there's way more to this than you're posting about, and details matter. But generally, the ADA should protect your current/future jobs under most circumstances (i.e. if you get hurt and can't do some parts of your job, they generally can't just poo poo-can you on the spot).

Also I don't think you can "ask to be dismissed" for purposes of unemployment. If you want unemployment, just keep showing up to work until they fire you. Generally unemployment is only given when you involuntarily lose your job due to circumstances not related to you. Asking to be dismissed will likely disqualify you from unemployment, but the rules vary by state.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Is there a subforum or megathread somewhere on these forums for discussing musicals? Specifically, I wanted to see if anyone was talking about the Back to the Future musical that premiered recently in Manchester.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Something strange I've noticed: I can perfectly visualize the keys on a keyboard if I imagine myself typing it in my head. It works with any word I come up with, without breaking a sweat. But if I try and remember each key on a keyboard in sequence, it takes me a few seconds at times to recall what the next letter is. What's the interesting brain science behind this?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Your muscle memory is better developed than your visual memory in relation to the keyboard

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Argue posted:

Is there a subforum or megathread somewhere on these forums for discussing musicals? Specifically, I wanted to see if anyone was talking about the Back to the Future musical that premiered recently in Manchester.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3878308&perpage=40&pagenumber=3

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Thanks! TVIV is not where I expected to find a thread like that.

beeaar
Dec 16, 2005

Lawnie posted:

I think you need a lawyer if you got hurt at work, can’t work because of it, and got denied workers’ comp.
I appreciate the advice, I'm not going to get a lawyer however I can appeal the decision through the state or through some other process if I want.

Anyway, the question was more about unemployment. Has anybody received it in Texas? How does that poo poo work? Does it take a long time to receive (like months) cus if so it might be a waste of time for me to apply for it

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

beeaar posted:

I appreciate the advice, I'm not going to get a lawyer however I can appeal the decision through the state or through some other process if I want.

Anyway, the question was more about unemployment. Has anybody received it in Texas? How does that poo poo work? Does it take a long time to receive (like months) cus if so it might be a waste of time for me to apply for it
You need to talk to a lawyer because what you do next as far as quitting/being dismissed may have an impact on any future unemployment appeal/claim.

Talk to a lawyer. Saying you're not going to talk to a lawyer in this situation is fantastically loving stupid. You're basically saying "a machine just ripped my arm off, what should I be using to clean up the blood, I'm not going to see a doctor."

The answer to your question is hugely dependent upon the state and locality you're in and what the laws say there. Anyone answering your question in here with anything other than "talk to a lawyer" is not going to know anything about those laws unless they are a local lawyer, and even a local lawyer is going to tell you to go talk to a loving lawyer. "Talk to a lawyer" is the only good piece of advice you're going to get for this.

Talk. To. A. Lawyer.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

OP posted:

I'm thinking I should dig... should I dig?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Please talk to a lawyer and do not let your employer gently caress you

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

There’s this idea that the poor oppose wealth redistribution because they think they’ll eventually be rich — or something like that. I remember reading a pithy expression for it. Any suggestions?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Vegetable posted:

There’s this idea that the poor oppose wealth redistribution because they think they’ll eventually be rich — or something like that. I remember reading a pithy expression for it. Any suggestions?
They're just temporarily embarrassed millionaires.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Gobbeldygook posted:

They're just temporarily embarrassed millionaires.
This is it, thanks!

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Is there a non-profit thread anywhere? Looked around BFC, but I didn't see one.

beeaar
Dec 16, 2005

Thanatosian posted:

Is there a non-profit thread anywhere? Looked around BFC, but I didn't see one.

I would be interested in this as well, tag me fam

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
In one-on-one TV interviews, the camera will often show a shot of the interviewer nodding while the subject is talking. Is there a good reason for this other than to remind us the interviewer is still there?

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Mister Kingdom posted:

In one-on-one TV interviews, the camera will often show a shot of the interviewer nodding while the subject is talking. Is there a good reason for this other than to remind us the interviewer is still there?

quote:

Noddy headshots or noddies are a type of camera reaction shot used in recorded news or current affairs interviews. They consist of nods and other similar "listening gestures" made by the interviewer. If only one camera is available at the interview site, then these shots are recorded after the actual interview takes place. The shots are spliced into the interview during the editing process to mask any cuts that have been made. This editing technique is universally "read" by audiences as expressing realism and therefore creates the illusion of a seamless dialogue in the interview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKQoNIxRo-Y&t=626s

Shut up Meg fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 29, 2020

beeaar
Dec 16, 2005

Mister Kingdom posted:

The person being interviewed doesn't always look flattering, so you cut away, otherwise people won't want to do interviews with you because you make them look bad.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I had this script YouTube Link Title installed that modified links to YouTube videos by changing plain URL links to the title of the video and popping up a preview when you hovered on them, but it stopped working a while ago. Is there a newer version somewhere that I can't find, or an equivalent replacement I can use instead?

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Wow, I feel stupid! I am more than a little bit aware of editing tricks (for audio only) and often catch these things in video stuff but this has blown my mind!

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

ineptmule posted:

Wow, I feel stupid! I am more than a little bit aware of editing tricks (for audio only) and often catch these things in video stuff but this has blown my mind!

Watch his whole series on this stuff (Screenwipe), he explains so much that is is really eye-opening.

He's like one of those magicians who reveals how other magicians make you chose a particular card or how the lady is made to disappear. Once he explained how news stories are generated, I stopped trusting the media overnight. I thought I knew how stuff happened, but he is revelatory.

Shut up Meg fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Mar 1, 2020

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Just building a new PC that I've spent a lot of money on so I was thinking it would be smart to get a decent surge protector. 13500A, 19500A, 30000A and 60000A.

"Protection for your appliance from malfunctions in the mains, such as surges, indirect lightning strikes or circuit noises, with a maximum sum of leakage current of up to 60.000 A"

Is it worth it to spend a little more (Around $60 USD) to get a better surge protector for my PC or will I be fine with the $20 USD one that only protected a maximum sum of leakage current of up to 13500A?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Tiggum posted:

I had this script YouTube Link Title installed that modified links to YouTube videos by changing plain URL links to the title of the video and popping up a preview when you hovered on them, but it stopped working a while ago. Is there a newer version somewhere that I can't find, or an equivalent replacement I can use instead?

According to scuttlebutt in the Firefox thread last year, the API key that the script was using has expired. Discussion starts here. Someone on Reddit came up with a workaround where you can get an API key of your own and plug that into the script, but it's been kind of hit or miss for people getting it to work.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
In movies when they show special effects collapsing miniature buildings, they slow the footage down so it looks like the pieces of miniature are falling at the same speed as a life sized piece would. Is there a formula for how much you should slow footage down, given the size/mass ratio of miniature:actual?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Busy Bee posted:

Just building a new PC that I've spent a lot of money on so I was thinking it would be smart to get a decent surge protector. 13500A, 19500A, 30000A and 60000A.

"Protection for your appliance from malfunctions in the mains, such as surges, indirect lightning strikes or circuit noises, with a maximum sum of leakage current of up to 60.000 A"

Is it worth it to spend a little more (Around $60 USD) to get a better surge protector for my PC or will I be fine with the $20 USD one that only protected a maximum sum of leakage current of up to 13500A?

Did the same thing not too long ago, went with the Wirecutter recommendation. No idea if the stuff about better surge protection is correct, but honestly it was worth the few extra bucks for just how easy it makes plugging stuff in.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Is there a YouTube channel that explains things like what a set screw is, and what is used for? Those various machining/milwright-y things?

Even if it's just uploads for a show similar to this old house, that works too.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

dokmo posted:

In movies when they show special effects collapsing miniature buildings, they slow the footage down so it looks like the pieces of miniature are falling at the same speed as a life sized piece would. Is there a formula for how much you should slow footage down, given the size/mass ratio of miniature:actual?

The time factor is modified by the square root of the scale factor, in the absence of air resistance.

If my model is at a scale of 1:100, I need to run the camera at √100 = 10 times the frame rate.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Platystemon posted:

The time factor is modified by the square root of the scale factor, in the absence of air resistance.

If my model is at a scale of 1:100, I need to run the camera at √100 = 10 times the frame rate.

The square root of the scale ratio? That's almost too beautifully simple to be real.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

dokmo posted:

The square root of the scale ratio? That's almost too beautifully simple to be real.
It's because the distance an obstacle falls is proportional to the square of the time it takes to fall, due to constant acceleration from gravity. The equations on https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equations_for_a_falling_body go through each option, you can test and see how long a 100m vs 1m building would take to fall (for example).

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
I read an offhand comment from a visitor to Nauru that at one point it was the cheapest place in the world to buy Legos. Nauru being a tiny island nation with a population of ~13,000, that intrigued me. Why might that be the case? I can’t find anything mentioning this online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Powered Descent posted:

According to scuttlebutt in the Firefox thread last year, the API key that the script was using has expired. Discussion starts here. Someone on Reddit came up with a workaround where you can get an API key of your own and plug that into the script, but it's been kind of hit or miss for people getting it to work.
It's a pity I don't use Firefox, because this alternative from the Reddit thread seems perfect except that there's no Chrome version (that I can find).

Thanks for the link though, the API key fix worked perfectly. I have no idea what I did, but I mindlessly followed the directions and now everything is fine! I think! :downs: