Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

UnknownTarget posted:

Like I said; most Americans are pretty soft. They lack the skills and knowledge of what they need for disaster preparedness. Heck I probably wouldn't have thought to get flu meds until I saw the suggestion here.

Really interested in seeing what the DOW looks like tomorrow at open.

depends on where you live

I live in a rural area and everyone out here is self sufficient for the most part

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

There Bias Two posted:

What the gently caress is this graph? This is the least useful graph I have ever seen.

Look the line isn't going up dude, what more do you want?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Bread hasn’t been “very perishable” in years. Buy some sliced white bread and leave in out for a month and you’ll just have super stale dry bread, but it’s all preservatives now

What? My bread gets moldy in like 10-14 days. What are u eating

naem
May 29, 2011

here is a relaxing video of some dad looking guy making bread in a log cabin to take your mind off the apocalypse https://youtu.be/XgNuPXIIvC8

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

As bad as this is, this virus absolutely will not result in some sort of mad max apocalypse. The Spanish flu is more deadly than a well treated SARS-2, and the world didn't stop fighting World War I until the Spanish flu pandemic was more than half done. That said, if people cannot get any hospital care, SARS-2 does appear to be nearly as Spanish flu when modern hospital care is unavailable for those who need it. So you'd best hope your hospital system is functional for those who need it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

UnknownTarget posted:

My favorite is how consumerism is so baked into our dumb brains that we buy the two things you DON'T want in a survival situation; very perishable bread and milk. I think at one point it was honestly "hey we don't want these things to go to waste, please buy them" but now people equate preparation for disaster with buying these items.
I think the concept is "these are staples I would usually buy in the next 3 days. In this situation, I might not be able to get to the store in the next 3 days" which makes total sense in general.

Also, in half of the country, the disasters are usually blizzards, so if you lose power you can just put your milk in the mudroom.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It’s okay to eat normal food during disasters. Like you can just make sure you have two weeks of the food you usually eat instead of two days.

Do not listen to this person! The Coronavirus has already taken over their brain and is trying to kill you too! Only a diet of dry rice, dry beans, and Top Ramen can save us!!!

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Google Butt posted:

Look the line isn't going up dude, what more do you want?

Just in case you're serious: The range of the y-axis is far, far too wide to actually show any meaningful changes in the number of infected because it also shows the entire population of China.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
How do I eat vegan in hell dimension?

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

naem posted:

I feel compelled to post my canned food haul for some reason. If nothing comes of all this then in a year or so I can donate a bunch of beef stew to a food pantry. Bushes baked beans are delicious fyi I’d forgotten

dried rice and beans were nearly sold out

I appreciate the dog-food quality Hormel corned beef hash and Dinty Moore beef stew stowed next to $9 Rao's pasta sauce

cheezel
Feb 23, 2011
For sure, maybe i'm not stressing out because I live miles out of town and always have a stocked pantry and freezer because it's too far just to jot into the shops for a top up. I can understand people that don't cook from scratch or have a freezer would be a bit nervous about shops running out.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Rinkles posted:

most households aren't equipped with food taps

Wait, are we allowing poors to post in here now?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

There Bias Two posted:

Just in case you're serious: The range of the y-axis is far, far too wide to actually show any meaningful changes in the number of infected because it also shows the entire population of China.

That's the point. The graph is one possible answer to the question of "has china lost control?"

It's a reason to be hopeful that the graph doesn't show anything useful.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

It's all a conspiracy by Big Bean.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Mithaldu posted:

That's the point. The graph is one possible answer to the question of "has china lost control?"

we have no idea how accurate chinas numbers are

naem
May 29, 2011

Delthalaz posted:

I appreciate the dog-food quality Hormel corned beef hash and Dinty Moore beef stew stowed next to $9 Rao's pasta sauce

I see you are a fellow man of taste

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

There Bias Two posted:

Maybe it makes more sense to you if you see the zoomed in graph together with the zoomed out one.

Laterite posted:

I was wondering earlier, given the rate of decline, whether there are any indicators of China going back to work soon.

You know, for number's sake.

Poor number.

:ohdear:
gotta be honest, not quite sure i understand what this means

VikingSkull posted:

we have no idea how accurate chinas numbers are
yes and that is a thought-deadening cliche

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

tbh, I'm more worried about getting hellflu and not being up to shopping than I'm worried about disaster prep.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i just heard from top scientist that the viras has been cancelled

everyone go about your normal boring lives

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED

VikingSkull posted:

a lot of people have electric stoves in TYOOL 2020

can't bake bread when the power is out for a week

why would the power go out? it's a virus, not a hurricane

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
gonna be lol'ing at these people eating beans every meal while i have frozen ravioli, vegetables, and fish

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Pie Colony posted:

did you read the post I quoted

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Mithaldu posted:

For a fun exercise, you can try to figure out what rate of growth would be needed in order to actually show up on your graph, and think really hard and whether even the most minute fraction below that really counts as "under control".

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Pie Colony posted:

gonna be lol'ing at these people eating beans every meal while i have frozen ravioli, vegetables, and fish
my basement is directly on exposed bedrock and stays pretty cool in the summer even i could definitely buy like a spanish jambon leg for sure, or basically any type of meat that was kept before widespread refrigeration

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mithaldu posted:

And the numbers of concurrent infected are declining. Let's see if the USA can maintain a similar level of control.

Hmmm, Not too bad, not too good.

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006

VikingSkull posted:

did you read the post I quoted

no. there's a lot of posts so i just scroll to a random one and reply

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Pie Colony posted:

no. there's a lot of posts so i just scroll to a random one and reply

ok thats fine then

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Pie Colony posted:

Well in theory if everyone who works at your local power station gets sick and dies, eventually the power would go out.

I don’t think that’s something that is in danger of happening with coronavirus, but theoretically it could happen.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

biglads posted:

It's all a conspiracy by Big Bean.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Mithaldu posted:

Meaning, when do they start the factories again?

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Pie Colony posted:

:hfive:

I just bought two whole chickens, pork chops and a big pork roast. I can use that meat for anything, and the bones will make sweet, sweet stock. I threw it all in the freezer.

I stocked up on plenty of macaroni too in addition to more traditional apocalypse food like Spam, sardines, rice, and oats.

I’ve probably got a good month’s worth of food. So I’m feeling pretty good.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Mithaldu posted:

Maybe it makes more sense to you if you see the zoomed in graph together with the zoomed out one.

yes and that is a thought-deadening cliche

Even if China manages to reduce the number of concurrent infections, the US and most of the world sure as hell won't. All this shows is that they're managing to maybe successfully plug one hole in the leaking dam while dozens of others have sprung up.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Jabor posted:

For a fun exercise, you can try to figure out what rate of growth would be needed in order to actually show up on your graph, and think really hard and whether even the most minute fraction below that really counts as "under control".
i'm more interested in seeing if the USA will produce a graph where it is visible. they have the advantage of research having been put in alread, but they have the disadvantage of being the usa lol

Laterite posted:

Meaning, when do they start the factories again?
yeah i can't even imagine what the effects of that will be

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

There Bias Two posted:

Even if China manages to reduce the number of concurrent infections, the US and most of the world sure as hell won't. All this shows is that they're managing to maybe successfully plug one hole in the leaking dam while dozens of others have sprung up.

please note that the "suspected" cases are also way down ... which either means they're now just 100% lying, or actually have a solid grip on things

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
As long a Trump keeps holding his rallies through this all...

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Well in theory if everyone who works at your local power station gets sick and dies, eventually the power would go out.

I don’t think that’s something that is in danger of happening with coronavirus, but theoretically it could happen.

I feel like that wouldn’t even happen with a smallpox outbreak. They basically would never leave power plants unmanned.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Mithaldu posted:

i'm more interested in seeing if the USA will produce a graph where it is visible. they have the advantage of research having been put in alread, but they have the disadvantage of being the usa lol

yeah i can't even imagine what the effects of that will be
china locked down the country to slow the spread. there is nothing research advantage at the moment and no one outside of china is capable of the level of regimented quarantine at that scale

every time you encourage to think"it's not that bad" you are encouraging lax standards and will increase the death toll. we all need to take this seriously yesterday and force a change of mindset everywhere we can

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
update from new zealand warehouse, we've sold 5 metric tons of rice in 2 hours. all up sold about a months worth of stock in the last 3 days. australian long grain rice is essentially gone with medium and jasmine soon to follow. it's unavailable to order due to drought til possibly 2023 lol. if your in nz buy your rice now cause the prices might be crazy going forward. we have one confirmed case lmao this is crazy

remember to buy salt, also I recommend adding protein powder or mass gainer to your stockpile. its a good price by calorie and is easy to make if your too sick to do serious cooking

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Doritos and Mt Dew are my body and blood. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheezel
Feb 23, 2011

BIG PUFFY NIPS posted:

update from new zealand warehouse, we've sold 5 metric tons of rice in 2 hours. all up sold about a months worth of stock in the last 3 days. australian long grain rice is essentially gone with medium and jasmine soon to follow. it's unavailable to order due to drought til possibly 2023 lol. if your in nz buy your rice now cause the prices might be crazy going forward. we have one confirmed case lmao this is crazy

remember to buy salt, also I recommend adding protein powder or mass gainer to your stockpile. its a good price by calorie and is easy to make if your too sick to do serious cooking

drat, so all my bragging at how much food I have and what not.. Just looked at my rice container and have maybe 2 cups left! PANIC.

Is this North or south or national distribution?