Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
It's interesting that it's sold so many, I think I'd play another game like it but I'm not sure.
It just felt a bit like it trailed off, like they weren't sure what to do with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Stroth posted:

I'm gonna say unlikely, given that they've done nineteen main series games in the last twenty years.

They released two main series games plus Nelke last year; I just mean returning to a yearly release cadence.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This series officially has its hooks in me. I'm loving Escha & Logy so much.

I'm also extremely glad I played Ayesha first. It's a fun game with a really nice story, awesome music, and a good introduction to the trilogy's world. Plus it meant I smiled when returning characters showed up in Escha & Logy. It also meant I really appreciate the QOL changes and gameplay upgrades. Auto-refilling alchemy items owns so hard, and the more involved synthesis/imbuing system is somehow easier to understand, too. Game owns.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

nrook posted:

They released two main series games plus Nelke last year; I just mean returning to a yearly release cadence.

Lulua was just a bit delayed, it was originally meant for late 2018. Japan didn't get any Atelier in 2018 because L&S released late 2017 for them.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Someone mentioned a few pages back that there's a missable event with Awin that wasn't missable in the original version. What's the event? I feel like I've probably gotten it by now but I want to make sure before I start switching around party members.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Harrow posted:

Someone mentioned a few pages back that there's a missable event with Awin that wasn't missable in the original version. What's the event? I feel like I've probably gotten it by now but I want to make sure before I start switching around party members.

I don't remember exactly when it is but once Threia joins you're safe.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
i have a bad feeling i'm hopelessly underleveled at the final chapter of shallie

everyone's about level 60 and my alchemy level is 64 or so, the main squad (five protagonists plus keith) have their best possible armors and everyone but keith has their capstone weapon, but i can't make heads or tails of the chain system in synthesizing/imbuing, and now i'm up against a sub-boss with 40k HP and can stun/wipe out my entire front line in the final dungeon; needless to say that's a roadblock

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think that boss will just peace out if you lose to it once if it's the one I'm thinking of

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

that would be nice since last time i lost to a mandatory boss (the water lord), i straight up got a game over

caught me off guard for sure

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Keith appears to be smoking a cigarette in the library.

It's kind of cool, but also kind of not...

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

He definitely is. One of his characteristics is that he is a heavy smoker

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

numerrik posted:

He definitely is. One of his characteristics is that he is a heavy smoker

Another is that he's long since stopped giving even the slightest gently caress.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

don't worry his good friend ayesha has gotten him hooked on weed instead by shallie

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I've never really been into item crafting in video games but oh god the synthesis system in E&L has me kind of addicted. I had a decent enough time with synthesis in Ayesha but I think the way E&L gives you a bunch of skills that let you directly influence things early on and keeps building on it makes it really satisfying to play with. I'm about halfway through the main tasks (just completed the fifth assignment) and it's really fun to toy with the order I add ingredients, the order I use skills in, etc. to try to get attribute bars as high as possible. At some point I'll have to start putting more thought into setting up ingredients to carry over the best possible properties, too, and then I'll just be spending hours in the atelier synthesizing like crazy.

Game good

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Sony is running the Big in Japan sale tomorrow. One of the few times during the year you get a discount on Atelier.

Ryza: $41.99
Ryza Digital Deluxe: $50.39

Ryza Season Pass $38.49 (Character episodes, costumes, and an extra hard island.)

Arland DX $62.99. Individual games $27.99

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

The one part of Ayesha that I can't get over is that when I'm gathering how I don't always get items.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Alder posted:

The one part of Ayesha that I can't get over is that when I'm gathering how I don't always get items.

you do though? I'm not sure what you're doing but you should always gets items when you gather. You do have to press the button multiple times, for some reason.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Or you can hold the button to do a full collection. But if you just press the button once quickly then don’t do anything it won’t gather because it’s waiting for an input to start gathering.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Finally picked up Lydie & Suelle and Sue’s gathering animation for logs/rocks is the best.

Gonna kick the poo poo outta this rock and make bombs out of it hell yeah.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I've put probably 150 hours into these games so far, and I only now just made the connection that lots of things have high MP costs because an Atelier game is more fun if you have more reason to make items.

Oops.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Spooky Painting and its super physical resistant ghosts was unexpected. But it was nice of the game to check and see if I had been paying attention and unlocking recipes so I could deal elemental damage to them. :v:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

plain ol' bombs should be the first ones you unlock

you should be unlocking the wind and ice bombs next chapter, and then lightning bombs the chapter after that, and then the tier 2 fire bomb the chapter after that

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

plain ol' bombs should be the first ones you unlock

you should be unlocking the wind and ice bombs next chapter, and then lightning bombs the chapter after that, and then the tier 2 fire bomb the chapter after that

Yeah, I have bombs, but I’m used to not worrying about dealing fire damage this early in one of these games.

I’m digging this different way of unlocking recipes. Its a bit more involved than “buy book, see reading animation for 800th time”.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I deeply appreciate that Atelier Ayesha includes a canonical answer to the question of “How does Ayesha have a cauldron ready to go in every town, anyway?”

And the answer is... she has a bizarre love of cauldrons and carries a bunch around with her wherever she goes. Good job Ayesha.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Just finished Ryza and moving on to Ayesha. Seeing as gathering takes up time now, how much do I need to worry about the time limit? Did Ryza put me into a bad habit of "gather all the things, every time"? Do I need to be choosy about what to gather? Any other general tips for someone moving to their first "traditional" Atelier game?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Generally when you enter an area for the first time, you’re expected to collect all the items and defeat all the enemies to unlock another area, and there are plot destinations you can’t access unless you do this. Fortunately for you though maps in Ayesha are much smaller than the open world of Ryza

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Tempura Wizard posted:

Just finished Ryza and moving on to Ayesha. Seeing as gathering takes up time now, how much do I need to worry about the time limit? Did Ryza put me into a bad habit of "gather all the things, every time"? Do I need to be choosy about what to gather? Any other general tips for someone moving to their first "traditional" Atelier game?

The most important timesaver is making the items that reduce travel and gathering time. Focus on doing that as soon as possible and you probably won't have to worry about the time limit.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The time limit in Ayesha is incredibly lax, unless you're just sleeping for months on end or something.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Replaying Firis because the last time my desktop lagged while playing, and I still don't see how it's a bad game. Just wandering around exploring the open areas while collecting/crafting is such an incredible joy to go through.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The Vita version broke really bad and the Japanese launch was plagued with bugs so it didn't help the reputation.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

I really want to replay Totori because it's the only Arland game where I didn't beat the extra bosses, but I just remembered the creepy wagon guy existing and it's draining my willpower. Atelier, why are you like this :negative:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think I realized why this series has me hooked all of a sudden: I get to play out a fantasy life of having a cool job that I enjoy with fun coworkers where I get to make helpful things for people who like and respect me

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Harrow posted:

I think I realized why this series has me hooked all of a sudden: I get to play out a fantasy life of having a cool job that I enjoy with fun coworkers where I get to make helpful things for people who like and respect me

I think that's why I was having such a hard time with Ryza's setting. The whole town bit is the first time where other people are openly, wilfully antagonistic towards the party (outside of like 'that one mustache-twirling bureaucrat setting your goals' and even then Bos is significantly shittier than any of them) and it's absolutely not what I'm playing an Atelier game for.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Eeepies posted:

Replaying Firis because the last time my desktop lagged while playing, and I still don't see how it's a bad game. Just wandering around exploring the open areas while collecting/crafting is such an incredible joy to go through.

It's honestly not a bad game and if it had been another studio's knock off try at the genre I'd personally rate it extremely high.

But it isn't and Gust decided to go experimental with several of the game systems in this one. Some worked, some didn't and overall it just lacks the level of tightness and polish that the Atelier series usually has.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Is there a way to hide the button reminders on the exploration screens in Atelier Ayesha? The one that says “Notebook,” “Run ON” and so on.

e: The bizarre ritual of the Homonculus funeral is surprisingly emotional

nrook fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Mar 2, 2020

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Rorona's hundreds of events is making my completionist heart hurt.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I found out just the other day that there are events that play out in Atelier Ryza if you travel around town, but by that point you have quick travel unlocked and miss all of them.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Dehry posted:

I found out just the other day that there are events that play out in Atelier Ryza if you travel around town, but by that point you have quick travel unlocked and miss all of them.

Or you start obsessively quick travelling to each zone in the region you're going to, just in case :shepface:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

nrook posted:

Is there a way to hide the button reminders on the exploration screens in Atelier Ayesha? The one that says “Notebook,” “Run ON” and so on.

e: The bizarre ritual of the Homonculus funeral is surprisingly emotional

imo that's a scene where the music is a really important actor as well, in how the theme when nio's apparition appears and then nio's theme both play

seriously ayesha has insanely good music direction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

imo that's a scene where the music is a really important actor as well, in how the theme when nio's apparition appears and then nio's theme both play

seriously ayesha has insanely good music direction

This is definitely true, it's so good. Both for drama and for comedy. One of my favorite gags is the recurring joke where Ayesha and Nanaca are talking about cows or something, and then suddenly Juris's theme starts playing, "he was there all along!"