Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

bloops posted:

I’ve got a PD every day backpack. It’s fine I guess. For anyone who hikes a lot, I would recommend an Atlas bag without question. They’re expensive and worth every dollar.

My current is a Mamut trion which I love, but next time I'm buying it's gonna be Atlas without question. They seem to do everything right.

XBenedict posted:

I love the straps, but the bags are more style over substance to me. :shrug:

To me this is Shimoda. They shipped one out to every single youtuber on the planet so I've seen it a lot, and it feels like their mission to distinguish themselves was adding as many gimmicks as possible.

I like their inserts but that's about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
The only bags I will ever recommend are Tom Bihn but you'd need an insert for any photography or videography gear nowadays.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Speaking of bags I was looking at Brevite bags like their Scout or Jumper for everyday use. Anyone have any experience with their bags?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Any idea why a lens wouldn't want to autofocus? I recently bought a Sigma 15mm f/2.8 fisheye, attached to my Nikon Z6 via the FTZ adapter, and for some reason I can't set it to AF. Pretty sure it did it just fine when I bought it but it won't work now. Is this a setting I've accidentally changed in the camera, or is there something wrong with the lens?

EDIT: I just checked and it's also doing it with the other F-mount lens I have, so it's definitely something related to the camera or FTZ adapter.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Feb 27, 2020

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

XBenedict posted:

I'm going to say something blasphemous here. I don't think their bags are that good.

I love the straps, but the bags are more style over substance to me. :shrug:

I have the original version of the 15" Everyday Messenger. It's the most expensive bag I ever bought and I don't regret the money I spent on it at all. It's my usual 'carrying a moderate amount of poo poo around a city' bag.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Just stop loving around buying dozens of bags and get the good one from the start, the billingham hadley whatever. By spending more money, youre spending less money.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Thought you typed “Billingham Handy” at first. :thunk:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Wild EEPROM posted:

Just stop loving around buying dozens of bags and get the good one from the start, the billingham hadley whatever. By spending more money, youre spending less money.

I've fully subscribed to the "buy once cry once" philosophy. My last ten years have been a wasteland of compromise projects leading to nothing but frustration. Not just photography, but basically every hobby I touch.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sometimes it takes a few bags to figure out what you actually want. My best bag purchase was the Think Tank Streetwalker Pro I bought after my first paid freelance gig (along with a 5d MkII) 11 years ago. It's still one of my most used bags. They even sent me a new waist strap after for free after I lost my old one 10 years in. Worst is a beautiful Ona shoulder bag I got a couple years ago that I've used maybe three times because it just didn't wind up working that well for how I shoot. Now most of my stuff is Think Tank for stills and Porta Brace or Pelican for video.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Nothing wrong with buying multiple backpacks

I have 3 different ones i use for different specific things.

One that has a photo compartment on the bottom and a regular one up top. I can remove the barrier between the compartments to turn the backpack into a more standard backpack. I use this one the most. Like when out hiking with the kids and want to bring a camera as well as some water and snacks.

Another split one that cannot combine, but it is quite a bit larger and has a laptop slot. I use this one for travel.

I also have a pure photo backpack, the kind where the compartment opens through the back. The line is called FlipSide i think? I use this one when i e.g. go out at night to do astro and will just be out for a few hours.

All 3 of my backpacks are LowePro

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I use the Chrome Niko backpacks for my Fuji cameras. The original is stuffed to the gills, but when I got the new version and transferred everything over I still had a 6” square of empty space somehow, even thought they’re both labeled as the same 23L volume :shrug:

Think tank production manager 30 for my strobe kit, stand case for my c-stands and hardware. Buy once cry once, amigos.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED
And I'm the weirdo over here who has the one SKB case that has the Think Tank inserts. But I can put pretty much all of my most common gear in there with absolutely no issue. Which is great whenever we have to use a space where I will need all that gear (pretty often). I do need to invest a smaller bag at some point for when I'm doing event coverage or just walking around taking shots though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Does anyone have any experience with the Ellie PD l-bracket from 3leggedthing? I want something lightweight I can toss on my A7iii which will interface with both my peak design capture clip as well as my arca tripod head. The Ellie PD seems to be the only thing coming up on google and I'm happy enough to buy it and try it, but I'm wondering about the construction on the side with the visible gap for (??) cable purposes I guess (??) -- I'm guessing it's strong enough aluminum that compressing that side with an arca plate wouldn't really deform it, but in the back of my head I'm worried, even though I never actually crank down on my mounts.

Articulated that terribly, I'm still waiting for my first coffee of the day, but hopefully the rambling question makes some sense.

Alternately, any other L brackets I should be looking at? Peak Design capture clip compatibility is really the must-have feature, as I can wrangle my tripod into portrait mode without the L-bracket if it comes down to it. SmallRig is an option but I think it probably adds too much bulk to the bottom of the camera that I wouldn't ever need.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
You mean the cable pass through? That should not be an issue.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Nah, I never hook things up to the camera typically. I mean more that there's a break in the bracket that I worry would get bent over time when repeatedly tightened in an arca mount.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hmm, that break is weird and I would also wonder about durability (I had to look up the plate as from the angle in that photo you can’t see the break.)

But if you don’t actually need the l-bracket part why wouldn’t you just use peak design plates? The one that 3 legged thing sells for that side bracket looks almost as bulky as just putting a PD plate on the bottom of a different l-bracket anyway. Putting the camera into portrait mode easily is the point of an l-bracket, right?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Martytoof posted:

Does anyone have any experience with the Ellie PD l-bracket from 3leggedthing? I want something lightweight I can toss on my A7iii which will interface with both my peak design capture clip as well as my arca tripod head. The Ellie PD seems to be the only thing coming up on google and I'm happy enough to buy it and try it, but I'm wondering about the construction on the side with the visible gap for (??) cable purposes I guess (??) -- I'm guessing it's strong enough aluminum that compressing that side with an arca plate wouldn't really deform it, but in the back of my head I'm worried, even though I never actually crank down on my mounts.

Articulated that terribly, I'm still waiting for my first coffee of the day, but hopefully the rambling question makes some sense.

Alternately, any other L brackets I should be looking at? Peak Design capture clip compatibility is really the must-have feature, as I can wrangle my tripod into portrait mode without the L-bracket if it comes down to it. SmallRig is an option but I think it probably adds too much bulk to the bottom of the camera that I wouldn't ever need.

ReallyRightStuff are the bracket company to beat.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

kefkafloyd posted:

ReallyRightStuff are the bracket company to beat.

This. You're gonna cry about the price but their stuff is perfectly contoured to a specific camera body. They also hide an allen key in the bottom which is great for tightening screws in the field.

As for the notch, I've not heard of any durability issues with brands that implement them. I guess it could happen if you tighten the clamp with hulk strength but in normal use you're not going to see problems.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Have y'all looked at the notch? I've never seen it on any other l-bracket, though admittedly I've only looked at them for a few specific cameras. It's chunk missing on one side of the arca dovetail and it looks pretty wonky, even if maybe it'd be fine. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...AMaApMuEALw_wcB

Also really right stuff does nothing for PD capture clip compatibility. If they wanna ditch PD compatibility there's more options.

OP I'm guessing that's the only l-bracket that does it cause if you don't want to use the PD clip, you're stuck with a goofy square plate instead of the full length dovetail most l-brackets provide. I'm not surprised there aren't many options.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

All good info, thanks guys. Yeah, I'm more married to PD than I am to the L mount but in the end as long as the mount provides an additional tripod mount hole underneath for me to mount PD's own adapter to, I can have the best of both worlds. I'll check to see if the RRS L's provide this hole.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I have a non-RRS L bracket and a PD capture clip. I can see if they’re compatible this evening if that would help you.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

powderific posted:

Have y'all looked at the notch? I've never seen it on any other l-bracket, though admittedly I've only looked at them for a few specific cameras. It's chunk missing on one side of the arca dovetail and it looks pretty wonky, even if maybe it'd be fine. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...AMaApMuEALw_wcB

Yeah, It's been around for a while as a solution. They cut that out to allow flippy screens to articulate fully. Or allow routing wires. Or both if the camera has both!

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ahh, that makes sense. I haven't had a camera with that sort of articulating screen in years so didn't consider it.

The vast majority of l-brackets are going to have additional 1/4 20 mounts on the bottom you can use with your PD plates. I have a smallrig l-bracket for my Z6 and it works fine with the PD plate and clip; I've just discovered that I don't actually like the capture clip system at all.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Does anyone happen to have any old 2GB SD cards hanging around they don't need anymore? I'm trying to gift my D50 to a friend, but the card that was installed is bringing up an error on the camera (but works OK on my Mac). I'm hoping it's just a case of it being messed up enough to not format, but trying to get a 2GB card online is silly prices just because I guess theyre taking advantage of desperate people who will pay for something not produced anymore. Happy to pay shipping and a buck or two on top. Annoyingly I'm sure I have at least one more card, but I can't find it.

Biscuitbeard
Feb 16, 2020

Wild EEPROM posted:

I did exactly this. Avoided Billingham because they seemed like Leica Dentist Snob Accessories. I hate overpriced luxury poo poo.

Got fed up of changing bags, thought gently caress it and found a used Hadley Large for £50. God drat. It's absolutely perfect. They seem crazy priced but worth every damned penny.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I can't ignore the dust on my RX100 III sensor anymore. Other than DIYing (I have stupid hands and it looks way too delicate for me), any recommendations that my cost less than $200? KEH wants slightly more than half what they sell this stupid camera for ($180) to clean the sensor.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Get a Giotto-style air blower. If that doesn’t get it out, get the pre-sized flat q-tip style sensor wipes. I also have dumb hands, but with concentration and practice it’s not too bad.

Also look around for free cleaning days at local camera shops, sometimes they’ll have them as part of an expo or promotion.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

red19fire posted:

Get a Giotto-style air blower. If that doesn’t get it out, get the pre-sized flat q-tip style sensor wipes. I also have dumb hands, but with concentration and practice it’s not too bad.

Also look around for free cleaning days at local camera shops, sometimes they’ll have them as part of an expo or promotion.
Its a P&S, so accessing the sensor is going to need a bit of teardown and the videos look like a bit more than I think I'm up for.

edit: My local camera repair place failed. But there's a new one I might call monday.

nm fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 1, 2020

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
The unethical option is to sell it used and buy a different used model.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Fools Infinite posted:

The unethical option is to sell it used and buy a different used model.

God, I wish I was that much of a dick.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
“It has ~*character*~.”

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

President Beep posted:

“It has ~*character*~.”

+ micro contrast
+ 3D pop

nm
Jan 28, 2008

President Beep posted:

“It has ~*character*~.”

This only works with my film cameras.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

MINT+++++++++++++

Yes there is dust on sensor

Yes there is some scratches

Yes there is many fungus

Yes camera will shock you in the eye

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Hell the eye shocks would at least reduce the number of terrible photos I take (all of them).

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

nm posted:

God, I wish I was that much of a dick.

I was joking, but selling it and being honest about the damage might be your best bet. I bet you could do a lot better than the repair fee, especially if you are not buying and selling through keh or some other retailer.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Fools Infinite posted:

I was joking, but selling it and being honest about the damage might be your best bet. I bet you could do a lot better than the repair fee, especially if you are not buying and selling through keh or some other retailer.

Agreed. Full disclosure, along with a link to the repair video might be enough to recover some $$$, while making the buyer happy.

Edit: I have a few manual focus lenses that focus a bit past infinity. While this is not a big deal, it would be a major improvement if they had a hard stop exactly at infinity. Is this something that is an easy DIY project? Alternatively, which shops would be willing to fix this and what's the typical cost? Is there any chance of the shop loving it up in such a way that the lens would not reach infinity focus?

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Mar 2, 2020

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
just do what i did with the dust in my coolpix A, send it in to nikon and get overcharged and have them break the exposure compensation button and now they are waiting for parts so i will probably not have the camera for another month

or, like, call up sony and see how much they charge. you'll be paying at least $100, so be prepared for that.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

theHUNGERian posted:

Agreed. Full disclosure, along with a link to the repair video might be enough to recover some $$$, while making the buyer happy.

Edit: I have a few manual focus lenses that focus a bit past infinity. While this is not a big deal, it would be a major improvement if they had a hard stop exactly at infinity. Is this something that is an easy DIY project? Alternatively, which shops would be willing to fix this and what's the typical cost? Is there any chance of the shop loving it up in such a way that the lens would not reach infinity focus?

Lenses don't hard stop at infinity because infinity varies (for example with temperature, focusing to infinity at the same subject from the same location on a hot summer day or a cold winter night will be slightly different)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I missed the chat but I end up buying way too many backpacks because I like to cycle through different ones depending on the day/weather. F-Stop Sukha is by far my favourite whenever I’m travelling abroad though.