Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

v1ld posted:

I was reading up on the change in TZA, lots of nice stuff in there. Will be good to play it again after all these years - played only the original, not IZJS. Game looks gorgeous on the PC with everything turned up. Sound is fantastic too. Agree on the aesthetic comment above - it's all very cohesive.

Is there a good cheat sheet to setting up the party for TZA? I don't want to spend days in analysis/paralysis over the new job system.
The BeforeIPlay wiki has some hints and tips about the classes, what they are good for and how to unlock special stuff available here: https://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Final_Fantasy_XII

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Bruceski posted:

If you don't like FF12, TZA will not make you like it. The classes are a big change if your issue was making everyone able to do everything and you want/need the forced specialization, the fast-forward button is a great QoL addition, other than that it's still FF12 with a couple of tweaks that won't matter unless you were used to farming rare steals to jump the power curve.

If someone was choosing which to get, TZA hands down. If they have the PS2 version and the change to classes doesn't make them say "I want that", stick with what they've got.

Well that's the thing: it's been so long since I've played FF12 that I don't remember that much about it, and I can't recall why I stopped playing it. It could have been that I was just burned out on Final Fantasy in general at that point. Having watched a bit of stream of it, I think one issue I had was that combat was just sort of slow and awkward, but then I guess that's where the fast-forward button helps. I still want to give it another shot, but I think I might wait on picking it up.

I thought about X/X-2, since it's the cheapest of three ($14.99), and you get two games for that price, but... I dunno what it is, but X is the one FF game I'm the least interested in revisiting. It's not because I think it's bad, but there's something about it that doesn't grab me as much. I dunno if it's the story/setting, or if there was something about the game itself. Before FF13 took the crown of JRPG Railroading, I remember FFX had you on a tight leash before letting you go back and explore previous areas (at least I think it let you do that.) It could be that I know all the plot beats from FFX and X-2's from having watched a video recap of it at some point, and I don't remember a lot about the side content.

At the moment, I find myself leaning towards FF15, since it's the one I know nothing about, but the Steam reviews mention there being some issues with the port (one review mentions issues with frametimes and controls locking up), and brought up how the game's DLC got cancelled, leaving some of the story threads unresolved. That said, it still sounds like the game is pretty solid.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

i would be genuinely happy to never see gollum ever again

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
FFXV’s PC port is a bit jacked from them jamming Steam workshop into it, if it’s an option, buy it somewhere else.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
FFXV's story is complete as it is, the DLCs only add some extra bits.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

FFXV’s PC port is a bit jacked from them jamming Steam workshop into it, if it’s an option, buy it somewhere else.

Do you mean buy it from Origin or something, or buy it on something like PS4?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Max Wilco posted:

Do you mean buy it from Origin or something, or buy it on something like PS4?

Buy it from origin or something, it’s specifically the Steam version that’s jacked up.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's on PC Gamepass.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Ugly In The Morning posted:

You can also use Steam's console to download an older version without the occasional hitching, but you lose access to Episode Ardyn, Terra Battle, and FF14 crossover events. I would recommend going that route and then updating towards the end to play Ardyn and crossover content. You can't downgrade saves, though, so if you start on the newest patch, you have to start a new save for the older version. I don't have a link but there are guides on Steam if anyone is interested.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Max Wilco posted:

At the moment, I find myself leaning towards FF15, since it's the one I know nothing about, but the Steam reviews mention there being some issues with the port (one review mentions issues with frametimes and controls locking up), and brought up how the game's DLC got cancelled, leaving some of the story threads unresolved. That said, it still sounds like the game is pretty solid.

It’s on Game Pass if you have Win10 and are unsure about it.

Apparently the stories for the cancelled DLC got turned into a novel and it verges from the actual finale quite a bit. It’s not like the DLC that did get released, which clearly belongs with that rushed second half of the game.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 1, 2020

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Bloodplay it again posted:

You can also use Steam's console to download an older version without the occasional hitching, but you lose access to Episode Ardyn, Terra Battle, and FF14 crossover events. I would recommend going that route and then updating towards the end to play Ardyn and crossover content. You can't downgrade saves, though, so if you start on the newest patch, you have to start a new save for the older version. I don't have a link but there are guides on Steam if anyone is interested.

I think I might go that route, since it doesn't seem to go on sale on Origin or Microsoft for as cheap as it does on Steam. Alternatively, I could pick up the PS4 version, too.

exquisite tea posted:

It's on PC Gamepass.

Mierenneuker posted:

It’s on Game Pass if you have Win10 and are unsure about it.

Apparently the stories for the cancelled DLC got turned into a novel and it verges from the actual finale quite a bit. It’s not like the DLC that did get released, which clearly belongs with that rushed second half of the game.
I have Windows, 10, and it looks interesting, but similar to MMOs, I'm skeptical as to paying a monthly fee. I always feel if I don't put enough time into a game or service during the month, then the money's going to waste. I'm also a little wary of it being through Microsoft, because I worry it might be like GFWL. :shudder:

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 1, 2020

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Max Wilco posted:

I'm not familiar with PC GamePass. It looks interesting, but similar to MMOs, I'm skeptical as to paying a monthly fee, since I feel if I don't put enough time in using the service, the money's going to waste. I'm also a little wary of it being through Microsoft, because I worry it might be like GFWL. :shudder:

They might still offer a trial where you get 3 months for a buck. Just cancel the renew instantly, no need to leave a calendar reminder.

But if you are patient, they announced last year that Game Pass will eventually have every Final Fantasy from VII to XV, not counting the MMOs. I won’t be surprised if it’ll be a dripfeed, one new addition for every month for 2020.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/14/20964604/final-fantasy-microsoft-xbox-game-pass-vii-viii-ix-x-zodiac-age-remaster-xiii

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 1, 2020

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Samuringa posted:

FFXV's story is complete as it is, the DLCs only add some extra bits.

Just finished XV a few months ago and ya I never got the story complaint, that is the least of that game's problems. The combat system has 0 depth, FF13 gets a lot of flack for being linear and just auto battle oriented but the combat system is really fun in the later boss fights + optional areas.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

StrixNebulosa posted:

The trouble I've got with ffxiv posting is that it's such a huge investment of time and money so you cannot sell it to people casually. Like even if they try the free trial that's still a huge decision that they're going to have to make on their own. And then once people make the investment, there's no way to get them to regret it - sunken cost fallacy hits super super hard.

So saying "mmos are bad" is meaningless, and trying to convince people to play ffxiv is almost as meaningless.

Sadly, A Realm Reborn is now a relic of a time when Square was trying to salvage the sinking ship that was the reputation of the Final Fantasy franchise, not just the game itself. Things have improved considerably starting with the Heavensward expansion (it's nuts how the quality jumped up from this point forward), but it seems only now is the game shedding a lot of the grindier elements.

It is no joke that as the game is now, you'd need about 3 months of play time to get through ARR and the expansions. The revamp might cut that time down to about 2 months, ARR is just that long and most of it is somewhat filler-ish. The game has had its low points, there's no doubt about it, but it also has had its remarkably high points and the latter are becoming more and more numerous as time goes on. I just hope they'll be able to cut down on the time it takes to get to those coveted high points.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Max Wilco posted:

I have Windows, 10, and it looks interesting, but similar to MMOs, I'm skeptical as to paying a monthly fee. I always feel if I don't put enough time into a game or service during the month, then the money's going to waste. I'm also a little wary of it being through Microsoft, because I worry it might be like GFWL. :shudder:

Given how much any decent entertainment costs these days, I figure if I get 10 or so hours of good quality entertainment value out of "software x" that costs me $15/mo then it's at least as good of a value or probably better than going to a couple of movies.

Of course if there is a 'full price' purchase in addition to the subscription, then the number of hours goes up, but I still measure what value I get out of my money based on how many hours of play per dollar I get, and in general unless something is really a horrible dud, that means PC games generally come out ahead compared to pretty much any other form of entertainment that I have to pay money for.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
so Master of Magic got released on steam and it has new dlc? uh

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1250690/Master_of_Magic_Caster_of_Magic/

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Looks like the DLC is just a commercial version of a popular mod.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

The Locator posted:

Given how much any decent entertainment costs these days, I figure if I get 10 or so hours of good quality entertainment value out of "software x" that costs me $15/mo then it's at least as good of a value or probably better than going to a couple of movies.

Of course if there is a 'full price' purchase in addition to the subscription, then the number of hours goes up, but I still measure what value I get out of my money based on how many hours of play per dollar I get, and in general unless something is really a horrible dud, that means PC games generally come out ahead compared to pretty much any other form of entertainment that I have to pay money for.

For me, it's just I tend to very sporadic in regards to what games I want to play, and when I want to play them. Often times, I don't feel up to playing a game, either because I'm tired from work, there's other games I want to play, other things I want/need to do, or I'm just not in the mood (been kind of down this weekend, for whatever reason:smith:).

I prefer having a permanent copy, because I just have to pay for it once, and can complete it at whatever pace I want. With a subscription service, I feel like I need to put so much time into it per month for it to be cost-effective, and that makes it feel like a commitment.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I was honestly never expecting to see this on Steam, but there you go.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i joke a lot about the steve blum overdose in metro 2033 but i forgot how much worse it is in last light

this guy's voiced like ten different characters in the first two hours of play

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Floodkiller posted:

My perception of FF XII is ruined by just seeing the plot as Star Wars (the original trilogy), so at least Vaan kind of fits into it as a weird variant of young Anakin as if he was in the original and also wasn't Vader. Still haven't figured out a good analogue for Penelo though.

Vaan always seemed more C3P0 to me. Penelo was girl C3P0

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The mid-2000s overuse of Bloom Lighting eventually gave way to the 2010s Blum Sightings.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

uber_stoat posted:

so Master of Magic got released on steam and it has new dlc? uh

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1250690/Master_of_Magic_Caster_of_Magic/

Excuse me, what? :psyduck:

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

ultrafilter posted:

can I put my steam library in my will

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

ultrafilter posted:

This would have been really funny if the incredibly obvious drive-by review into refund had bounced, and he'd be the only Steam user who paid 75,99 for, and was stuck with, FIFA Estate Plan Manager 2020.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

I think I might go that route, since it doesn't seem to go on sale on Origin or Microsoft for as cheap as it does on Steam. Alternatively, I could pick up the PS4 version, too.

gamepass loving kicks rear end if you enjoy playing mid-tier indie games, because they'll throw a ton of them up there. You don't own the games though and they can be removed, and also you can't mod them, which can be an issue with a few games if they're buggy or w/e.

example: gamepass in the last month added Gris, a plague tale, frostpunk, world of horror, and indivisible.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Shadow of Mordor: the good news is that I suck! So many deaths, so many happy and developing uruks!

... the bad news is that I suck, and one spear thrower guy went from a power level of 1 to 11 so uh whoops

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The good news is the higher level they are when they die the better loot you get, and there's no orcish trait for protection from booze.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Booze? I don't recall assassinating drunkards to be a thing in that game, jog my memory?
edit:vvv Ah there we go, that's right. Never did it myself but knew it was a thing.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Mar 2, 2020

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Serephina posted:

Booze? I don't recall assassinating drunkards to be a thing in that game, jog my memory?

You can drug the booze in orc camps and it KOs them, making for easier kills.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
There has to be an alcoholic orc though. They made poet orcs and bard orcs, that's not much of a stretch.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Grapplejack posted:

gamepass loving kicks rear end if you enjoy playing mid-tier indie games, because they'll throw a ton of them up there. You don't own the games though and they can be removed, and also you can't mod them, which can be an issue with a few games if they're buggy or w/e.

example: gamepass in the last month added Gris, a plague tale, frostpunk, world of horror, and indivisible.

Everyone, remember to check out Yoku's Island Express.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Samuringa posted:

There has to be an alcoholic orc though. They made poet orcs and bard orcs, that's not much of a stretch.

There definitely is one in the sequel. There is also another one who is a brewer, but clearly loves sampling his own products.

My personal favorite tho is One-Word. There are some crazy orcs who will repeat the same word, even if you didn’t Shame them into derangement yet. This guy on the other hand is... definite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ1Xbj3zu_g

I encountered him in the second region of act one, but just left him alone. When act two came around he had become the leader of the region. It was amazing starting the castle siege, seeing him walk out of the inner fort to speak to his troops and only say one word. I wish I remembered what it was.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Mar 2, 2020

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Grapplejack posted:

yeah i just played A Plague Tale on it, holy poo poo that was a loving good game with extreme polish and love for an indie game. everyone should play it if they are subbed to game pass, or wanting to: it has incredible value if you're out of the loop or getting into pc gaming after a long hiatus and don't obsessively buy ever game as it comes out

also for a studio that has basically ust been doing lovely disney/pixar movie tie-in poo poo for a decade+, it's actually incredible how good it is

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Xaris posted:

also for a studio that has basically ust been doing lovely disney/pixar movie tie-in poo poo for a decade+, it's actually incredible how good it is

Fuel gave Asobo Studio a pass forever.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Haven't played the original Shadow of Mordor yet. Should I give it a go or should I go for the sequel?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Azran posted:

Haven't played the original Shadow of Mordor yet. Should I give it a go or should I go for the sequel?

The sequel is more more more of the first game in every respect. The first game is still perfectly good but every single system is expanded in the sequel to the point that you can skip Mordor and be just fine, even story-wise. Partially because the stories are not strong in either game.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Azran posted:

The stories are a duology, you get to follow the complete arc as Talion goes from reasonably sane man to REVENGE to finding out that revenge is bad for the soul. I'm personally enjoying Shadow of Mordor's story (though it won't win any awards), and I also know I'll really enjoy the upgraded systems in the sequel when I get there.

I think what I'm most awed by is that the writers decided to make this orc battle simulator and did a Spec Ops the Line with the storyline. Like, wow.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Xaris posted:

yeah i just played A Plague Tale on it, holy poo poo that was a loving good game with extreme polish and love for an indie game. everyone should play it if they are subbed to game pass, or wanting to: it has incredible value if you're out of the loop or getting into pc gaming after a long hiatus and don't obsessively buy ever game as it comes out

Yep, extremely well made game.

This game is very good even if stealth is usually not your thing.

They even created their own engine for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
My favourite Shadow of Mordor story was Gimûb the Fearful, an absolute worthless tool of an orc who was afraid of loving everything and had no strengths to speak of.
His MO was pissing in my cereal by showing up right as I was dealing with some actually competent captains, and being just enough of a distraction that my main target got away while I was stomping on Gimûb's dumb face for the sixth time.
He also loving refused to die and somehow managed to fail upwards into the position of warchief with like eight bodyguards. I proceeded to mind control every single one of them and watched as they beat twenty shades of poo poo out of him. It was intensely cathartic.

As for comparisons between Mordor and War, both are great but I kinda feel like Mordor is a case of "less is more". SoW does absolutely expand on its systems considerably, but it kinda results in this great colourful mess where things just kinda blend together.

Another thing in SoW that distracts me is the interminable rattling noise of J.R.R. Tolkien's bones spinning around in his coffin. I'm all for taking some artistic liberties with your source material, but whoof.

Unrelated, I'm woefully late with this, but

StrixNebulosa posted:

Grim Dawn report

I enjoyed reading your first reactions to GD. I pretty recently got into the game myself, and have been enjoying myself. The combat has a satisfying chunky feel to it and I like the "plate armors and trench coats" aesthetic of it. I just powered through both expansions and am now a good ways into the main campaign in Elite difficulty, and I'm torn between continuing and starting a new toon to make use of all the cool poo poo I have found and dumped in my stash.

Come to think of it, do we have like a general ARPG thread for us broken people whose lizardbrains like to see colours change and numbers grow?