Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Nordick posted:

Come to think of it, do we have like a general ARPG thread for us broken people whose lizardbrains like to see colours change and numbers grow?

As far as I know, nope. There are individual game threads such as the Grim Dawn thread and I suspect Diablo 3 was banished to the FREE HONG KONG subforum, but afaik no genre megathread.

Also thanks! I like posting impressions of what I'm playing. I'd do reviews but I have zero attention span for finishing things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Isn't there an orc who just genuinely wants to be your friend? I feel bad for that guy.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Uh, there was a friendly orc who was too scrawny to rise up in the ranks the normal way, so he befriended the player and they did some stuff. Don't feel bad for him, he got everything he asked for.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

HopperUK posted:

Isn't there an orc who just genuinely wants to be your friend? I feel bad for that guy.

I'm fond of Ratbag, so far.

Speaking of, I've always hated how tolkien was so black and white when it comes to orcs/uruks. "They're evil" but they have personalities and are actually people. Their culture needs, uh, work, but I don't like the idea that they're 100% evil forever, that's too absolutist for me.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Speaking of, I've always hated how tolkien was so black and white when it comes to orcs/uruks. "They're evil" but they have personalities and are actually people. Their culture needs, uh, work, but I don't like the idea that they're 100% evil forever, that's too absolutist for me.
If it helps any, so was Tolkien. In his later letters, he says that if he could, he wouldn't do it that way again. It's something that came to him only later in life, but he does fundamentally agree with you.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

HopperUK posted:

Some want more than just friendship :stare:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qshjZVyP2k

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
If you can accept hobbits as wholesome, dwarves as greedy, and high elves as wise, then you can accept that orcs are evil. It's not very subtle, but they're all there to push a narrative.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

If it helps any, so was Tolkien. In his later letters, he says that if he could, he wouldn't do it that way again. It's something that came to him only later in life, but he does fundamentally agree with you.

:unsmith:

I'm glad he got there in the end.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I'm all for morally ambiguous shades of grey and all that, but I actually like Tolkien's orcs the way they are. There's enough "noble savage" kinda takes on orcs in other settings, it's a refreshing change of pace to have something where orcs really are just a fundamental force of darkness.

Ratbag still owns though

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Honestly, at least the way they're written in LotR, the non-Uruk orcs come across more like blue collar nine to five working class people with really bad bosses.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Nordick posted:

I'm all for morally ambiguous shades of grey and all that, but I actually like Tolkien's orcs the way they are. There's enough "noble savage" kinda takes on orcs in other settings, it's a refreshing change of pace to have something where orcs really are just a fundamental force of darkness.

Ratbag still owns though
Honestly, he gives everyone else in his world that kind of nuance, from hobbits who are traitorous arseholes to elves who murder their families and ruin everything for everyone. It's less about making them noble savages and more acknowledging that they were kind of the odd man out.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Tbf, Orcs in the Shadow games have waaaay more personality and individuality than in any other LOTR book, movie, or game. The liberties it takes with canon are...significant.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Death Stranding PC finally has a release date: June 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOam12LBQHE

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mordja posted:

Tbf, Orcs in the Shadow games have waaaay more personality and individuality than in any other LOTR book, movie, or game. The liberties it takes with canon are...significant.

Shelob can be a sexy spider lady, as a treat.

Which is not actually a canonical liberty... technically.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Conan O'Brien full nude model for Source Film Maker finally has a release date: June 3

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

repiv posted:

I’m probably going to buy it and finish it then. I have it on PS4 but man, after building a PC a couple months ago, I have a hard time looking at motion blurred 30fps games.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mordor games being extremely dumb lotr fanfiction just makes them better

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I second that. They are clearly made with a lot of affection for the source material, but also not with a whole lot of thought.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

repiv posted:

drat hope my child will be chill enough so I get a few hours to play this.... Probably won't happen.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Andrast posted:

Mordor games being extremely dumb lotr fanfiction just makes them better

and they're still less dumb than that Third Age RPG where Gandalf secretly hires the PCs to follow behind the Fellowship and do all the real work

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

On one hand, the shape shifting was a gross opportunity to linger on some TnA. On the other, devious trickster spider god is much more interesting than “inherently evil unthinking spider monster.”

^^^ That sounds hilarious :v: ^^^

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

haldolium posted:

drat hope my child will be chill enough so I get a few hours to play this.... Probably won't happen.

Death Stranding will learn you how to calm down your real world BB.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Stickman posted:

On one hand, the shape shifting was a gross opportunity to linger on some TnA. On the other, devious trickster spider god is much more interesting than “inherently evil unthinking spider monster.”
Shelob (and by extension, her mother Ungolianth) are both described as smart and really just assholes because they want to be, this isn't something the game came up with. The shape-shifting might be new, but "primordial spider-goddess of darkness from before time" is literally what Ungolianth is.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rolo posted:

I’m probably going to buy it and finish it then. I have it on PS4 but man, after building a PC a couple months ago, I have a hard time looking at motion blurred 30fps games.

Same. I think the SSDs have spoiled me more than anything else, I just can’t deal with long load times anymore.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Hwurmp posted:

and they're still less dumb than that Third Age RPG where Gandalf secretly hires the PCs to follow behind the Fellowship and do all the real work

Also gameplay in it is a blatant clone of Final Fantasy 10

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

Shelob (and by extension, her mother Ungolianth) are both described as smart and really just assholes because they want to be, this isn't something the game came up with. The shape-shifting might be new, but "primordial spider-goddess of darkness from before time" is literally what Ungolianth is.

Essentially LotR allows for any sufficiently powerful thing to appear however the gently caress it wants so why not tiddy?

(Because it's dumb and unnecessary, but still.)

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Cardiovorax posted:

That’s what Ungolianth was (plus she chose her spider form), but I don’t remember any indication that Shelob inherited much of that from my admittedly hazy memory. Time to bone back up!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Is this on steam? I want to help Gandalf clown on the fellowship

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Cardiovorax posted:

I thought their thing was that they're driven by an insatiable hunger.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Stickman posted:

That’s what Ungolianth was (plus she chose her spider form), but I don’t remember any indication that Shelob inherited much of that from my admittedly hazy memory. Time to bone back up!

Shelob's pretty much just a bestial hungry spider monster taken to the extreme.

JRR Tolkien posted:

Little she knew of or cared for towers, or rings, or anything devised by mind or hand, who only desired death for all others, mind and body, and for herself a glut of life, alone, swollen till the mountains could no longer hold her up and the darkness could not contain her.

Shelob's incarnation in Shadow of War is pretty much a totally made up excuse to shove some boobs in the camera. I'm no stickler for The Canon or anything but I hate being pandered to. It's my least favorite part of the plot.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

No it's a PS2/GC/xbox game. It could probably be emulated if you care enough.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

Looks like PS2/Xbox/gamecube with a TRPG version for the GBA?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Same. I think the SSDs have spoiled me more than anything else, I just can’t deal with long load times anymore.

Yeah it’s crazy, I’ll load Doom 2016 on my PC and I’m sitting there like oh come on already when the loading screen takes more than 5 seconds.

Then I boot up the PS4 to play with friends and it’s like “I think Red Dead froze, it’s been 2 minutes.”

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Mordja posted:

and they have tits now because of insatiable thirst

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Mordja posted:

There's a difference between being really hungry and deciding that the solution to that is eating people, is how I'd put it. As a general thing, Tolkien was pretty set on making a point of it that all his villains chose to be evil or to do the wrong thing, even if they may have started out thinking that it was for the best of reasons.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Hwurmp posted:

and they have tits now because of insatiable thirst

:hmmyes:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

StrixNebulosa posted:

Sadly, it was never ported to PC, and since it's an EA game it likely never will be. Developed by EA Redwood Shores, in the days before they broke out with Dead Space and got renamed Visceral and then shut down because they had a name now :v:

Orv
May 4, 2011
PS2 emulation is by and large very solid these days depending on your feelings on that and effectively abandonware.

But also it's just not very good.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Orv posted:

PS2 emulation is by and large very solid these days depending on your feelings on that and effectively abandonware.

and GC emulation is even better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Remember when a bucket falls down the well in LotR? It nearly falls on top of your party at the other end of the well.

Also, Gandalf keeps sending you video mail talking over movie clips the whole loving game.

There's one battle where Gandalf fights Balrog, and your party is standing near Gandalf, and your main task is really to make sure everyone's checked in and alive by the end to get the full XP.

At the end you get guest Aragorn with the dead on speed dial. You use his Call the Dead and a green wave comes and fucks everything up.

It ends with you party beating up the eye of Sauron.

Orv posted: