Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Zuul the Cat posted:

Glad to see you bowed to the pressure. This'll be fun for Dracula's America.

Frankenstein's Santa Anna.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

JcDent posted:

Frankenstein's Santa Anna.

Cinco de Moa-ha-hayo

JcDent
May 13, 2013

On an unrelated topic, does anyone of you have a line to, ugh, downloadable rule sample for Battlegroup Barbarossa? Now that I'm awash in 15mm manz (and washers), I wanna check out the Soviet and Hungarian platoons.

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
I don't think you can find that online, the battlegroup builder will probably give some clue on how to build your forces http://users.telenet.be/BGBuilder/?fbclid=IwAR3-hjbohXQt-KHxW7ktPDeVC3dA_Dmf-cr_0AOZm4cumwaFaB_AsKWSiF4

Do you have the "basic" ruleset?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Wowshawk posted:

I don't think you can find that online, the battlegroup builder will probably give some clue on how to build your forces http://users.telenet.be/BGBuilder/?fbclid=IwAR3-hjbohXQt-KHxW7ktPDeVC3dA_Dmf-cr_0AOZm4cumwaFaB_AsKWSiF4

Do you have the "basic" ruleset?

I know the basic stuff, just want to see how it all looks for Barbarossa, esp. since the army builder has Fall of the Reich units at best.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
I've finally started to crack the nut of my US rifle platoon for CoC. Here's the platoon sergeant.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

That’s a neat paint job! :O

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Whew, good on you for so cleanly executing 3-level highlighting on 15mm dudemans!

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

What's everyone using for 15mm WWII terrain? Some folks from work and I are branching out into FoW (or I guess really whatever other 15mm game we can find) but we're all set up for 40k terrain. Seems like the actual Battlefront stuff is a bit pricy.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

EdsTeioh posted:

What's everyone using for 15mm WWII terrain? Some folks from work and I are branching out into FoW (or I guess really whatever other 15mm game we can find) but we're all set up for 40k terrain. Seems like the actual Battlefront stuff is a bit pricy.

If you're cool with MDF, I like Sarissa Precision a lot.

https://sarissa-precision.com/collections/world-war-europe-15mm

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 25, 2020

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Sarissa’s buildings are great, it’s just a shame they’re all French/Northwest European and they don’t do anything for the Eastern Front.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Totally forgot about these dudes; thanks!

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
4ground is pricey, but you don't have the hassle of painting. Some details can be a bit fiddly in their 15mm kits. Ttcombat is expanding their range as well, but I haven't bought any of that kit.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Glad you liked my NCO. Here's a converted .50 cal. HMG that just needs basing.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Fish and Chimps posted:

Glad you liked my NCO. Here's a converted .50 cal. HMG that just needs basing.

"Look but don't compare, look but don''t compare" I say through gritted teeth, resisting the urge to slamdunk my 15mm mans into the garbage disposal for not being this good

I'm kidding, but that's really really good

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Wowshawk posted:

4ground is pricey, but you don't have the hassle of painting. Some details can be a bit fiddly in their 15mm kits. Ttcombat is expanding their range as well, but I haven't bought any of that kit.

If you’re in the US check out blacksite studios. Basically American 4Ground so it’s way cheaper here. Their 15mm range isn’t as big but their kits are pretty dang nice.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Fish and Chimps posted:

I've finally started to crack the nut of my US rifle platoon for CoC. Here's the platoon sergeant.

Jesus dude, did you really need to do the beard? :rip: your eyes.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the kind words and seething jealousy-induced hatred.

The beard is just a thin layer of Nuln Oil though.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I painted a friend for my 38(t):

Please forgive my dreadful freehand numbers. Also, it's amazing how much of a difference undercoat makes - I ran out of black so I undercoated this new tank in light grey, and while I used exactly the same paints for the hull as with the first one, it has definitely come out a shade lighter.

Not really a problem though, as I reckon changing weather conditions and the age difference between tanks could have resulted in different shades anyway.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Endman posted:

Please forgive my dreadful freehand numbers. Also, it's amazing how much of a difference undercoat makes - I ran out of black so I undercoated this new tank in light grey, and while I used exactly the same paints for the hull as with the first one, it has definitely come out a shade lighter.

Not really a problem though, as I reckon changing weather conditions and the age difference between tanks could have resulted in different shades anyway.

They look great!

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Endman posted:

Those are both the correct shade of grey 1940! Also don't feel bad about the numbers, they are probably hand painted in real life.
They both look great

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Great tonks, would shoot at.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Thanks, friends!

I’ve got a bunch of Valentines and BT-7s on the way to give these guys something to tangle with. I’ve been reading David Stahl’s book on the Battle of Kiev in 1941 and I’m looking forward to reading the next one in the series on Operation Typhoon, so I’ve sort of accidentally ended up theming my WW2 stuff on the autumn of 1941. :v:

The Valentine first arrived in combat on the Eastern Front around Moscow, but the BT-7s should be appropriate for the whole period of Barbarossa.

After that I just need some KV tanks and obr. 1940/41 T-34s to really scare these German tank crews.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
I just received a big batch of Flames of War infantry of the newest bendy plastic variants, and they're really good. Almost as good the old hard plastic ones. They're a bit more chunky, and if you don't like heroic scale stuff they're not for you, but the detail and poses are really great. I'm very excited to start working on them.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Fish and Chimps posted:

I just received a big batch of Flames of War infantry of the newest bendy plastic variants, and they're really good. Almost as good the old hard plastic ones. They're a bit more chunky, and if you don't like heroic scale stuff they're not for you, but the detail and poses are really great. I'm very excited to start working on them.

That's really good to know. I'm not a fan of the Plastic Soldier Company infantry sculpts in 15mm.

From reading various comments on the internet from 15mm ww2 grogs, you'd think the bendy plastic was the worst thing to happen to some of these people.

Endman fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Feb 28, 2020

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
The first ones sucked. But they were definitely just first drafts rather than inherent limitations of the medium.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Yeah, the early sculpts were really bad. But they've definitely gotten the hang of it.

Here's a test mini of one of their new FJ I painted yesterday.

Edit: Only example I have of one of the earlier examples is this Universal Carrier gunner.

Fish and Chimps fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Feb 28, 2020

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That gunner is horrifying...

A lot of grogs have bad memories of watching entire paintjobs flake off bendy plastic 20mm figures from Airfix or Matchbox or whatever when the dude bends a bit at the ankle and the whole thing just shatters.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

I've been putting aside an hour or so every night in February, painting mostly the Calpe French I got to bulk out my already painted Warlord ones in greatcoats. And yeah, the Calpe stuff is so much better. Very good casts with minimum flash, and tons of details:

So this morning I took the time to organize my painted stuff into battalions, to prepare for basing. Here's the greatcoats (Warlord + Calpe). I still have a large batch of maybe 20 guys left to paint, mostly grenadiers, mounted officers and regimental officer staff:

Together with my previously painted stuff, I'm getting close to nine battalions ready for basing:

I still need about two or three command groups and some grenadiers, but after that I'm basing up a god drat brigade here. :)

After that the big missing piece is a small artillery park, by 1812 the French had regimental artillery of stolen small cannon (Austrian 3-pounders), which will be represented by two cannon models per 3-5 battalions, and I'm painting up one line artillery regiment and one horse artillery regiment (3-4 cannon miniatures each).

Cavalry I already have up the wazoo.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Feb 29, 2020

Endman
May 18, 2010

That’s a lotta Frenchmen

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Or, consider - not enough Frenchmen.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Yeah a quick headcount put them at about 300 and some infantry, with maybe 100 cavalry. But also, yes, not enough Frenchmen. ;)

Endman
May 18, 2010

grassy gnoll posted:

Or, consider - not enough Frenchmen.

:hmmyes:

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Has anyone ever used the Litko-brand 20mm square magnetic base strips? Recommended or nay?

Endman
May 18, 2010

I got my hands on a T-26, the 1933 variant, from Zvezda:

It's definitely not bad for the price ($8.99 in Australian Dollareedoos), although the detail is a little flat. I think that probably makes it more realistic though, since details like rivets are nearly always greatly exaggerated at this scale. It went together in only a couple of minutes, which was nice. Although, I'd probably recommend being super careful with the turret since the radio antenna comes attached and it's super thin and fragile.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That's pretty cool, but not cool enough to get me to replace the 21 I already have in an Early War tank company that I never use.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Cross posting from the painting thread.

lenoon posted:

Managed to get some paint on my first set of English civil war guys today. Waiting on some metal pikes before doing more.

Snakebite leather and militarism green contrast for the base layers over some age old army painter beigeish primer. They’ve come out well enough for me to be happy without a highlight layer except for the command and my general, which I’ll have another pass at later.

Just another seven pike bases and ten shot to go!

Endman
May 18, 2010

Well the T-26 paints up pretty well; a couple of transfers and it'll be a nice edition to my 1941 tabletop. :)

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I post battle reports so you don't have to.

7th FOGN game vs Russia 1815 Infantry corps.

Following a break down in negotiations at the Congress of Vienna, the Russian army has deployed to invade PORTUGAL.

General Viscount WELLINGTON has been forced to deploy his army to attack the town of CASCAISES that Russian infantry corps has occupied....

The Anglo-Portuguese army is on a probe with 1 or more divisions on a
flanking march. The Russian army to the north is on a full scale Frontal
Assault. Two Russian brigades defend the two parts of the town.

The Anglo-Portugeuse army (using Prussian Stand ins)

I played my 7th Field of Glory Napoleonic game vs Dave amd his Russian 18th Infantry corps. I was using his Prussian army as stand in.

Davie is rated in the top 10 general's in FOGN. You will shortly see why.

3rd and 1st division deploy on two steep hills. This will be a mistake.

I wanted to try an envelop mission again, this time using the Light AND Cavalry division. My other divisions had large units so this time might be able to withstand the enemy for long enough. I deployed ON two steep hills (this was a big mistake).

A difficult river, walled paddock and impassable quarry are to the east.

The Russian army - three divisions in total.

They advance quickly, straight ahead.

I move to try and flank the assault, but too slow over the left hill and the right one slows me down too much. My 9 pounders failed to hit anything in the ENTIRE GAME.

At this point I knew SOMETHING WAS VERY WRONG, but I didn't know what. But I had a feeling that today was not going to end in victory.

The Coldstream guards move to support the 44th foot.

The Russian dragoons and light infantry outflank the Highlander brigade. My guns are facing the wrong way and failed their roll to turn right fast enough.

The LIGHT DIVISION arrives. Will they be too late? The 95th rifles are to the left, the Lusitanian Legion in the centre, and Spanish guerrillas on the right. Ahead in the town is a poor conscript unit.

My flank march arrived only 1 turn later than possible, but it was still too slow. If I had deployed my army BEHIND the steep hills, the attackers would still be approching me. As is, the flank march arrived 1 turn later than the earliest possible, and was still going to be too slow.

The Calvary division arrives too. The Heavy Dragoons advance quickly, the light dragoons and Portuguese dragons behind.

The armies engage.

Gunfire goes out, but I take a lot more disordered troops.

I had to make a choice at this point. My guard unit on the left is wavering and has two steady enemy units to their front;. Do they charge (without support!) or stay. I decided to stay. Looking back, my only chance to win was to charge, and the odds were very bad. But better to charge with a Superior elan Veteran Guard unit than not. If they had made into hand to hand combat, they had a better chance at winning than shooting it out.
+3

The Russian dragoons with a brigade commander get behind my lines and approach my line of communication.

My unit on the hill falls back, as the guards. Several of my units are disordered and the Russian army is nearly completely unaffected.

The Light Davison prepares to assault the town.

In they go!

The British Dragoons prepare to charge through the British lines.

My Line of Communication is broken, as is the Highlander unit that was holding the right flank. My artillery breaks and the centre is falling back.

The 95th rifles easily take the western side of the town

The Russian army is surrounding the British.

My right flank is retiring, my left flank is failing. Situation excellent, attack! The Heavy Dragoons charge forward and break a unit! However, they are BRITISH DRAGOONS and go straight forward and are unsupported.

My centre is giving way. Only the 21st Portuguese brigade stands in the way, and it's wavering.

The heavy dragoons flee and waver the Portuguese dragons. The 95th Rifles prepare to assault the right side of the town and the enemies line of communication, but are too late!

The centre of my line disintegrates and only one brigade stands on the right, surrounded. Merde.

At the point around turn 2, where I knew SOMETHING IS VERY WRONG I could see I was going to be in trouble. What was the crucial mistake above all others was deploying on the steep hill. In FOGN artillery is practically useless on rough terrain and the artillery brigade did only 1 actual hit the entire battle. The infantry on it couldn't do much damage outside and took more damage in.

I should have placed my army BEHIND the steep hills, and forced/lured the enemy to attack over them. Then the cavalry division would have hit them from behind.

I also should have taken more note of where the enemy deployed, and simply moved to the left out of their way. Frontal assault can't change direction much for the first two turns.

I could also not have got the river and instead got a road to place my LOC further left and out of range of his dragoons. It was too close.

I'm not as good tactically as most players who have 1-30+ years experience of Napoleonic warfare. I'm going to take some soviet advice and lower the amount of divisions from 4 to 3, to make command of units simpler. In this game, it didn't help much having the extra morale reroll.

The Portuguese dragoons didn't help much. A veteran KGL unit works better as a reserve and more able to support failure when it happens.

One of my many mistakes was NOT assaulting with my Guards unit. They were wavering, but being Guards may have actually got into close combat, and won. I should commit them to that if it comes down to it. They, and the 95th Rifle's make a perfect assault unit on towns or fortifications, but would require a 2nd unit to go in with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

Great battle report!

Today I painted another Valentine, this one is a Lend-Lease Mark 2 in service with the Soviets:

Technically it's the wrong colour, since I'm going for 1941/42 and the first Valentines shipped to the USSR were painted in the British home service brown colour, whereas later British vehicles were painted in this kind of khaki green. I'm making the same assumption a lot of people on the internet seem to make, which is that the Soviets wouldn't have repainted them when taking possession.