Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Tbh if number go down as rapidly as it has been, a month from now there will be empty docks all over the shop.

E; the stock market has lost $5,000,000,000,000 in the last few days and lmao

E2; Bernie did 5/1

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Mar 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I just went back and did a quick check and there's a six week lead time from a ship leaving China to making it's first arrival in Europe, as opposed to three weeks max from Asia to the American west coast based on CMA CGM's scheduling at any rate. So we could be looking at empty docks here within a month

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
No no, the FTSE just opened 2.5% up so Coronavirus has been defeated and everyone is saved by capitalism!

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Bundy posted:

I'm convinced that had social media and media frenzy been at 2020 levels for sars and swine flu and what not, there'd have been the same sensationalism and panic then.

I don't think that's true, the thing with the corona virus is that it seems to be very contagious and basically doesn't look like it is going to be contained at this point. So even though it is less deadly than SARS (and way, way less deadly and horrifying than ebola) I kind of expect it to cause more widespread problems than they did

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
otoh if they keep this up it might end up saving more lives than it ended

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Sorry for the Torygraph link:

torygraph/politics/2020/03/01/downing-street-department-health-locked-row-access-eu-pandemic/
lmao, and the same goes for if the Tories keep eating one another

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Bundy posted:

I'm convinced that had social media and media frenzy been at 2020 levels for sars and swine flu and what not, there'd have been the same sensationalism and panic then.
I'm pretty close to agreeing. SARS and Swine Flu went bananas in the media but we didn't have the same level of penetration of the chattering celeb types on twitter in those days, to stoke the fires

OwlFancier posted:

Did either of those switch off china?

I don't think we'd've been able to know as easily back then.

I have to say, I do wonder whether this virus hasn't already been doing the rounds all winter without anyone knowing about it yet - there have been reports of more-nasty-than-usual winter respiratory infections this year, with longer asymptomatic periods, and I do wonder whether it's not already done its pandemiccing in this country...

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Paperhouse posted:

I don't think that's true, the thing with the corona virus is that it seems to be very contagious and basically doesn't look like it is going to be contained at this point. So even though it is less deadly than SARS (and way, way less deadly and horrifying than ebola) I kind of expect it to cause more widespread problems than they did

It’s not that it’s especially contagious (R naught, or the amount of people a carrier infects is 2.2 compared to 3 for SARS and 10-20 for measles) it’s more that the incubation period is loooooong which is great for spreading widely.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
It was inevitable that eventually an actual virus would have played Plague Inc tbh.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Madagascar has already closed its seaport.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
What's the likelihood of this disease, the corona eliminating the old Gammons?

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

My parents and grandparents are already dead, I say bring on the Boomer Plague.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Lungboy posted:

No no, the FTSE just opened 2.5% up so Coronavirus has been defeated and everyone is saved by capitalism!

The FTSE will have jumped up because (1) the £ sunk more against the $ this morning and quite a chunk of the FTSE gets earnings in $ - don't ask me how much, and (2) people hoping to pick up stocks which are cheaper today.

(If FTSE up and £v$ up = good, if FTSE down and £v$ down = bad, if FTSE up/down and £v$ down/up harder to say need to look more closely).

I know, :wall:

(Why isn't there a wall smilie?)

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Ash Crimson posted:

What's the likelihood of this disease, the corona eliminating the old Gammons?

nontrivial - the problem is that with all hospitals choked with casualties and the NHS shuddering to a halt as the staff get sick, you have to ask is it worth trading healthcare for a bunch of people dying prematurely.

staying healthy is pretty important rn

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

The FTSE will have jumped up because (1) the £ sunk more against the $ this morning and quite a chunk of the FTSE gets earnings in $ - don't ask me how much, and (2) people hoping to pick up stocks which are cheaper today.

(If FTSE up and £v$ up = good, if FTSE down and £v$ down = bad, if FTSE up/down and £v$ down/up harder to say need to look more closely).

I know, :wall:

(Why isn't there a wall smilie?)

It's already lost half its gains. Multiple central banks have stated they will step in if needed which seemed to help early doors but it's not lasting, and we still haven't felt the true impact of China stopping production or seen the real US Corona figures.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm mostly worried for a friend who is old, has COPD, and is immunocompromised. She's basically the worst possible target for the disease. Really hope I don't have to bury her this year :(

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Put this friend in one of those hamster ball things we do to stop people getting diseases or injured.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The stockmarket trend is likely to be down over the next couple of months while this coronavirus thing plays itself out. Sure, there'll be days when the markets perk up again but there were days like that in 2008 too, when the markets had a sudden burst of optimism even though the underlying situation was unchanged.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Bit the bullet and voted this morning.

Leader: RLB (no 2nd or 3rd pref - I know Starmer will win unless there's some kind of miracle).

Deputy: Burgon / Butler / Rayner / Allin Khan.

(Was torn between Burgon and Butler but Burgon made a lot of the right noises over the weekend so finally plumped for him).

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Corona virus may just provide the government with the excuse it needs for why brexit has nothing to do with the economy being poo poo.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Azza Bamboo posted:

Corona virus may just provide the government with the excuse it needs for why brexit has nothing to do with the economy being poo poo.

Given they spent 12 years saying that the global financial crisis of 2008 caused by US banks was Labour's fault (despite Brown being praised for his actions preventing the UK from experiencing the worst of it), we have to go on the attack and say that it is their fault because they were too poo poo to know how to manage it.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Liam Byrne's noooooooote

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Azza Bamboo posted:

noooooooote

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Those hand wipes are like gold dust now. Does anyone have a dark web hook up?

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Lungboy posted:

It's already lost half its gains. Multiple central banks have stated they will step in if needed which seemed to help early doors but it's not lasting, and we still haven't felt the true impact of China stopping production or seen the real US Corona figures.

And has now gone into the red again.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Anyone else secretly thinking 'phew, Labour govt aren't having to manage these crises (floods, viruses, economy collapse, brexit etc) and getting the blame' while having to cope with PLP shenanigans, anti-semitism smears and so on?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Anyone else secretly thinking 'phew, Labour govt aren't having to manage these crises (floods, viruses, economy collapse, brexit etc) and getting the blame' while having to cope with PLP shenanigans, anti-semitism smears and so on?

Slightly, though equally I'm a bit concerned that it might kill a shitload more people as a result. Also not convinced the labour leadership will actually capitalize on the godawful tory response.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

No because Jeremy Corbyn lead government would actually be doing something about all these things

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I was going to say that's quite a weird take.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The headlines would be utter poo poo, 100% "Corbyn lets migrants from Coronaland flood English villages" but the headlines are utter poo poo anyway.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Corbyn :argh:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I guess it depends whether you expect the PLP to take the opportunity to gently caress the corbyn administration and its wider project with opportunistic sniping as it tried to manage the crisis.

Which, I mean, I absolutely would expect.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"Heh heh... and now I'm going to fire my macho peas up your sunset burger so you don't get fillet steak prego..."

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Guavanaut posted:

"Heh heh... and now I'm going to fire my macho peas up your sunset burger so you don't get fillet steak prego..."

Ooh, cheeky.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
That all seems more CUKTIG inspired to me, he said, implying CUKTIG ever inspired anyone.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

That's not my primary thought but a Labour minority government would be getting attacked for not doing enough while parliament and the press also attacked anything they proposed so the actual results might have been even worse than they will be as necessary messaging and legislation gets derailed by bullshit.

FTSE in the red again and BoE fires one of its final bullets- a vague statement about doing everything necessary to restore stability.

QE can't unlock quarantines or make raw components magically appear though.

Edit: "Finally, fans in Southampton were warned not to touch or take selfies with pop star Peter Andre."

Good advice BBC!

namesake fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Mar 2, 2020

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/markdistef/status/1234457036856885250?s=21

An interesting point. State broadcasters are useful for rapidly disseminating official information in emergencies, but they have to build up a solid base of credibility beforehand.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I have been sat in an office in Southampton Magistrates Court for almost two hours waiting for a court to empty so I can do a solitary check on a printer and leave

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I have been sat in an office in Southampton Magistrates Court for almost two hours waiting for a court to empty so I can do a solitary check on a printer and leave

Start coughing loudly while describing your holiday in northern Italy. It'll empty the place in a flash.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
wow :geno:

quote:

The British economy would be at most 0.16% larger by the middle of the next decade under a comprehensive trade deal with the US, the government has admitted

the official analysis also showed that a more limited trade deal with the US would deliver benefits to the UK economy worth just 0.07% by the middle of the 2030s, or about £1.4bn.

x

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Darth Walrus posted:

https://twitter.com/markdistef/status/1234457036856885250?s=21

An interesting point. State broadcasters are useful for rapidly disseminating official information in emergencies, but they have to build up a solid base of credibility beforehand.

I thought that was what The Archers were for. (My folks - well just my mum now- have listened religiously every day sometimes twice a day to The Archers for my entire life. Does my head in.)