Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
So I'm taking lessons and trying to learn to swing on to out. The problem is that I feel like I'm trying to steer the club in the downswing. It is like I'm using my biceps to force it.

Its pretty frustrating.

daslog fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Christ, it's been a long time. I feel bad that my clubs are sitting in my garage and have been for six years, but 4 kids doesn't leave much time for playing.

My funny story (for y'all, at least): I was a varsity athlete in high school. My sport was golf. I still have the letter somewhere, and kept my team bag too instead of getting a jacket.

I used my dad's Yonex Rekin 10 irons during the "season", which in Florida is a bad time of year to be playing golf. Lots and lots of rain. Made my dad cry in pride to watch me practicing in pouring rain. I wanted to be good. But the season made me quit for 2 years.

Our first match of the year was on the single most mud-prone course in the tri-county area, right after heavy, heavy loving rain. We played 9 holes after school, and had to be carted from hole to hole in a golf cart, because the water on the cartpaths was up to the floor of the cart and slightly over.

I shot a 70. On 9 holes :shepicide:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10157052000806527&id=48807126526

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Nice to see Hovland pick up a win, even if it's at a meme tournament, just so he can get more into the main PGA schedule without having to worry about anything. All three kids of the 2019 class that were expected to be good have now won in like 8 months?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Reed taking a beating all week on no new news and then playing lights out on the back 9 to beat Bryson just makes my day.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Celebrating with my boy when he gets back to town

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Why does this thread hate DeChambeau?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Lincoln posted:

He is the

slowest

loving player

on the whole

tour

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Sorry, I didn't quite get that. Can you readdress the post?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kirios posted:

Sorry, I didn't quite get that. Can you readdress the post?

lol

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Lincoln posted:

Slow, smug, slow, smug about being slow, slow.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Nice out today so I got a round in. Sometimes it seems like breaking 100 is a pipe dream.

So easy to hit it into the woods/brush a bit, lose my ball, there's two strokes essentially. Plus I'm still probably going to three-putt. Fuuuuck.

Question for the floor, do you find that most people you play with or you know actually take the correct penalty for losing a ball? I kinda feel like a chump when someone loses one, drops and only adds one stroke.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

AndrewP posted:

Nice out today so I got a round in. Sometimes it seems like breaking 100 is a pipe dream.

So easy to hit it into the woods/brush a bit, lose my ball, there's two strokes essentially. Plus I'm still probably going to three-putt. Fuuuuck.

Question for the floor, do you find that most people you play with or you know actually take the correct penalty for losing a ball? I kinda feel like a chump when someone loses one, drops and only adds one stroke.

Score yourself accurately. It's worth it.

Also, watch golfsidekick on YouTube. Good philosophical approach for new players. Best way to drop scores without technical swing advice.

Edit: No, people do not score correctly. Almost Zero percent.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

AndrewP posted:

It depends.

If I'm playing in any kind of tournament (club, USGA, SCGA, whatever), or if I'm playing in a skins game or something with money involved, then 100% absolutely yes.

The only scenario where it ever comes up at all in those instances would be when someone legitimately doesn't understand the rules (i.e. what's a penalty stroke vs. free drop, where to drop, ..etc.) and in that case they're generally happy to have someone who does explain it to them so they can take the proper score/relief/whatever.

If I'm not playing in one of the above situations, then I very much do not care what the other person thinks their score is on any given hole because it doesn't matter to me at all.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Re: Golf Sidekick I enjoy him, but I will say: that lucky bastard plays exclusively on beautiful courses with seemingly no woods to lose balls into.

Maryland courses are like woods / fairway / woods

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

AndrewP posted:

Re: Golf Sidekick I enjoy him, but I will say: that lucky bastard plays exclusively on beautiful courses with seemingly no woods to lose balls into.

Where in Maryland are you? I moved to the DMV almost 2 years ago and I’ve only played one round and that was out of state. (I’m in Arlington now)

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

AndrewP posted:

The only courses I routinely play in MD are Fore Sisters in Rawlings and Oakland CC, and both are absolutely this only they also have postage stamp greens.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

AndrewP posted:

Yeah, my current courses are all mountains, so no tree issues either. But, before here, I was northern VA, so I share your pain.

Of course, makes his lesson more relevant, to keep it in the safe spaces.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I'm playing cheaper Baltimore-area public courses, so not exactly perfectly maintained.

Really it's probably the short game and three-putts that hurt me more than the woods. My typical par four is: off the tee, two more shots because I was behind a tree or I just flat out missed the green on my first approach shot. And then I three-putt.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Only time I don’t score accurately or take liberties with strokes Is like the first and maybe second time out in a season where I’m just trying to get back into form. Just trying to make contact and poo poo. Then again I don’t score those rounds most of the time anyway so...

I’m always terrified that’s the round I’ll get a hole in one too.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Hey so what's the correct procedure if someone from another group plays your ball by mistake? Drop? Penalty? Both?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/WestwoodLee/status/1231399295787638784?s=19

Jesus fuckin Christ, Bryson

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

That's not significantly different from Sergio. If I saw a guy in the group in front of me doing that, I'd call a marshal.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

spamman posted:

Hey so what's the correct procedure if someone from another group plays your ball by mistake? Drop? Penalty? Both?

You replace as near as possible and play without penalty. The guy who played your ball takes a two stroke penalty and plays his correct ball.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Suprfli6 posted:

You replace as near as possible and play without penalty. The guy who played your ball takes a two stroke penalty and plays his correct ball.

You also get to punch him in the dick. Not that hard, just as a reminder to not be a dumbass

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
What about the guy who thought the green on 9 was for putting practice and picked up my (rare) chance for birdie when he scrambled to get all of his balls off?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Every time it's happened to me, the other player denies, denies until confronted with their ball. I find it usually happens when they thought the lost their ball, "find it" and play on.

I always mark my balls with a pretty distinct mark (and play unpopular balls) because it eases that problem.

Edit: Guy on 9th green? Multiple dick punches. Jesus, what a tool.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I had somebody on an adjacent hole play my ball in a huge member-guest tournament a few years back. Guy denied it even though we found his ball nearby, behind a tree. Claimed he didn’t notice the numerous black sharpie dots on my ball when he hit it.

In my club championship three years ago, a guy in my group played my ball by mistake on the second to last hole. We’ve been partners in leagues and played in tons of scrambles together, and he definitely deserved to beat me that weekend but he insisted on taking the penalty. I won by a shot, and the rest of our buddies at the course presented him with a golf ball with his name written on it about a dozen times in different bright colors for him to use next time.

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 26, 2020

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

The Maestro posted:

What about the guy who thought the green on 9 was for putting practice and picked up my (rare) chance for birdie when he scrambled to get all of his balls off?

That’s when you hope one of the people in your group has a ball retriever and you use it to take both of his

torgeaux posted:

I always mark my balls with a pretty distinct mark (and play unpopular balls) because it eases that problem.

This is why I play a yellow Srixon. No real hackers play yellow Srixons, at least not in the past, they’re getting far too popular now but I used to rarely have that issue. Now everyone makes a yellow ball and most people can’t tell the difference in the very yellow shade of their Bridgestone compared to the lemon-lime Gatorade of a Srixon, and the irradiated yellow of a Titleist.

I routinely play with two guys who both play Velocity and neither marks their ball or makes any note of the number they’re playing. It drives me nuts.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Shrapnig posted:

That’s when you hope one of the people in your group has a ball retriever and you use it to take both of his

This is why I play a yellow Srixon. No real hackers play yellow Srixons, at least not in the past, they’re getting far too popular now but I used to rarely have that issue. Now everyone makes a yellow ball and most people can’t tell the difference in the very yellow shade of their Bridgestone compared to the lemon-lime Gatorade of a Srixon, and the irradiated yellow of a Titleist.

I routinely play with two guys who both play Velocity and neither marks their ball or makes any note of the number they’re playing. It drives me nuts.

Yeah, I play solo, so teamed with various folks. So often father/son, husband/wife share the same dozen balls without marks.

I play Cut balls, and Snell MTB-X and generally no one else plays them. I keep both in the bag, and if someone else is playing that brand, I switch.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Maybe I'm just an OCD lunatic but I mark each side of my golf balls with a purple sharpie every time I get a new dozen and it's multiple distinctive marks on each side so there's pretty much no mistaking that it's mine. I'm sure that wouldn't stop somebody from picking it up though.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

Suprfli6 posted:

Shrapnig posted:

You also get to punch him in the dick. Not that hard, just as a reminder to not be a dumbass

Ah right. We've been playing drop/penalty (just friendly matchplay, neither of us have handicaps) because usually we can't be bothered going to that group but it's good to know that if you do actually find them then it's no penalty. One of my friends plays a bright matte orange wilson staff ball, coincidentally he's the only one that it's never happened to.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Suprfli6 posted:

This reminds me of two things:

1) I was playing with my parents once on vacation. We watched a raccoon run across the drat fairway and run off with his ball. Was quite hilarious.
2) We always played as a threesome, and sometimes they would stick a single with us. Once, this was a thickly-accented German gentleman by the name of Gunter.

Gunter, who played Top-Flites and after losing his ball, suddenly was playing a Pro V1 with a distinct red dot on it, shortly after my dad couldn't find his in-the-fairway distinctly-red-dotted Pro V1.

That poo poo still rankles me to this day. I can't say I 100% play by all the rules all the time, but loving golf etiquette, man. One of my biggest peeves.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Any good way to practice not hitting the ball fat at the range? The last two times I've been to the course I've been chunking so many shots and I realize that range mats don't offer that kind of feedback.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

AndrewP posted:

Any good way to practice not hitting the ball fat at the range? The last two times I've been to the course I've been chunking so many shots and I realize that range mats don't offer that kind of feedback.

masking tape. put a strip down, put ball down appropriately, that will let you know if you're consistently fat.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

torgeaux posted:

masking tape. put a strip down, put ball down appropriately, that will let you know if you're consistently fat.

Spray deodorant, anything that disappears if you hit it marked down behind the ball

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

AndrewP posted:

Only thing that helps me is thinking actively of getting my sternum ahead of the ball on the downswing.

I'm trying to make peace with the occasional thin shot rather than these ugly fat shots. Thin it to win it!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

So a guy on reddit designed a pretty neat 3d printed golf ball holder that he attached to a piece of basically foam board.

I asked my brother with his CNC if he could cut up something cooler on it and this is what we came up with

https://imgur.com/gallery/zUerTRX

Right now that's just PVC board as it was kinda a test. May eventually take a nice piece of hardwood and redo it with a nice stain, but I'm kinda digging how it turned out.

I need to finish printing the rest of the holders and it will hold 81 balls when all is said and done.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

mattfl posted:

So a guy on reddit designed a pretty neat 3d printed golf ball holder that he attached to a piece of basically foam board.

I asked my brother with his CNC if he could cut up something cooler on it and this is what we came up with

https://imgur.com/gallery/zUerTRX

Right now that's just PVC board as it was kinda a test. May eventually take a nice piece of hardwood and redo it with a nice stain, but I'm kinda digging how it turned out.

I need to finish printing the rest of the holders and it will hold 81 balls when all is said and done.

yo that is rad as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Reptilechat!

I was just reminded of a couple of my favorite golf course reptile stories.

I'm in Florida, so we have snakes and gators.

1) My dad and I were at the driving range before a round and when we went to leave, we saw a copperhead or moccasin or some drat danger noodle going across the path. We waited until this thing was pretty much off the path, and then snuck by it in the 8 feet remaining between its tail and the far side of the path. This fucker threw itself around and attacked my goddamn leg, bouncing its head off the cart and completely reversing its course. I about poo poo myself.

2) I got back in the cart once after a hole, and it was the cart with the ball holder up next to the steering wheel, slightly to the right. There was an open section, and out of that open section stuck a nice long black thing with eyes. Six inches from my loving leg. After I got out of the cart and shooed it with a putter, it went out the bottom and what I expected to be 2 feet was more like a 4 foot black racer.

3) We saw baby alligators at a course aptly named Gator Trace! They were about a foot, foot and a half long and really loving cute. Didn't see mama so we just got the gently caress outta dodge before she came back.

4) At another local course, the sixth hole is a straightaway par 4, with a water hazard about 3/4 of the way down on the right and another one down past the green to the left. We had seen a sizable gator in the right-side hazard before, but we didn't appreciate how big until this 12-foot fucker was running across the fairway to the other water hazard. Pants-shittingly big.