Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!

lancemantis posted:

Also they’re ok with evangelical heretical theocracy

99% of the time it's just a chance to get in a burn on muslims while nakedly wishing for a dominionist/fascist to take control

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

... Why?

Shame Boy posted:

In theory it's because they don't have to pay for room and board because their white two-parent middle to upper-middle-class nuclear family should be paying for that and literally no other situation exists shut up.
Also, by that logic, people with kids should automatically be paid more because their living costs are higher, right?

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Tiggum posted:

Also, by that logic, people with kids should automatically be paid more because their living costs are higher, right?

Doesn't the military do that?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Peanut President posted:

most americans don't own guns

The top 3% of gun owners own half of all of the guns. We need to redistribute their guns.

source

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Tiggum posted:

... Why?

Because tokenism doesn't even require real tokens

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Doggles posted:

I have an older friend like that. He says he'd never vote for Sanders because of Sanders' push to forgive student loan debt. "I had to pay for my daughter's education so it's not fair if others don't have to pay for theirs. If they want to get rid of their debt then they should use the education they bought to get a higher paying job!"

He also brags about how his parents helped him lie on his first mortgage application in order to get financing for his first house. He's been able to build equity for decades as opposed to having to rent an apartment while struggling to save up for a down payment! To him, it's pure laziness that's the cause of millennials not being able to get a job that allows them to both pay off their student loans and to buy a house straight out of college.

I think today's Wall Street Journal Opinion section sums up his thoughts:

My wife recently paid off one of her two student loans and now if anything I'm pushing harder for forgiveness because holy poo poo it's like the weight of a planet has been lifted off our shoulders, she was able to get out of credit card debt soon after and now we've actually started to build real savings after a decade of treading water, and "treading water" is still better than what most people buried in debt get to do.

It's been an absolute joy and a beacon of hope and I hope everyone gets to feel it in January 2021.

e: point being I can't understand how anyone can go through this poo poo and wish it on others. That's just insane

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Big Mad Drongo posted:

My wife recently paid off one of her two student loans and now if anything I'm pushing harder for forgiveness because holy poo poo it's like the weight of a planet has been lifted off our shoulders, she was able to get out of credit card debt soon after and now we've actually started to build real savings after a decade of treading water, and "treading water" is still better than what most people buried in debt get to do.

It's been an absolute joy and a beacon of hope and I hope everyone gets to feel it in January 2021.

e: point being I can't understand how anyone can go through this poo poo and wish it on others. That's just insane

America teaches that sadism is holiness and sensibility.

The Alpha Centauri
Feb 15, 2019

passive transphobia? what's the point of this

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Tiggum posted:

They get a tax break for it that's totally the same thing

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
https://mobile.twitter.com/moetkacik/status/1234484942035464192
https://mobile.twitter.com/moetkacik/status/1234497715570184194
https://mobile.twitter.com/moetkacik/status/1234486098853875713

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Forceholy posted:

Doesn't the military do that?

Yes, they do. And quite directly. Spouses as well. Basically if you are military, your base pay is X (determined by rank). A spouse is worth Y. A kid is worth Z.

Soldier (single): gets paid X.

Soldier (married): gets paid X + Y.

Soldier (married, three kids): gets paid X + Y + (Z * 3).

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
And if that sounds like it encourages badly considered marriages, don't worry, no one in the military hates and resents their spouse

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

ikanreed posted:

And if that sounds like it encourages badly considered marriages, don't worry, no one in the military hates and resents their spouse

As a lover of many military spouses, can confirm.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Alpha Centauri posted:

passive transphobia? what's the point of this

Clicks

The point is to get clicks

It's always just more money

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
https://twitter.com/DangerBrooks/status/1234482324970123270?s=20

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Student loan forgiveness doesn't go far enough, we also need to compensate the young people who chose not to go to college because they couldn't afford it. They deserve a lump sum payment to make up for the decades of wages being so much lower than the cost of living.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Chamale posted:

Student loan forgiveness doesn't go far enough, we also need to compensate the young people who chose not to go to college because they couldn't afford it. They deserve a lump sum payment to make up for the decades of wages being so much lower than the cost of living.

as someone who was too stupid to get into college I concur

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Just make college free you loving assholes

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Just make college free you loving assholes

...nobody is arguing that we shouldn't? We're just trying to discuss the right way to rectify the historical fact that millions of people could have had free college and how we, as moral people, might want to address that as a historical wrong. And we may as well start "small," considering how many such things we're gonna be dealing with in Bernie's America.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Chomp8645 posted:

Yes, they do. And quite directly. Spouses as well. Basically if you are military, your base pay is X (determined by rank). A spouse is worth Y. A kid is worth Z.

Soldier (single): gets paid X.

Soldier (married): gets paid X + Y.

Soldier (married, three kids): gets paid X + Y + (Z * 3).

That is not how it works in the United States. Soldier or sailor or whatever branch (single without any dependents) gets paid X + Y, where X is basic pay and Y is tax-free housing money. Alternately, at certain (junior) ranks, they don't get paid Y but are given barracks housing.

Soldier with dependent(s) gets X + Y +Z where Z is a (somewhat) greater housing allowance than just Y. Often it's about a 15-30% bump in housing allowance over a military member without any dependents depending on location and rank.

There is no multiplier where you get more and more money for having more dependents, except that they all get government-provided medical care at no additional cost to the soldier. So a soldier with one kid or no kids and a spouse gets paid the same as a soldier with eight kids.

Yes, some junior soldiers will get married quickly just to move out of the barracks. Or to give someone medical coverage while operating in essentially a platonic relationship.

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/01/millennial-millionaire-shares-what-he-refuses-to-spend-money-on.html

"Sorry, I can't go to the movies unless I'm there finding reasons to fire the staff."

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Propitious Jerk posted:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/01/millennial-millionaire-shares-what-he-refuses-to-spend-money-on.html

"Sorry, I can't go to the movies unless I'm there finding reasons to fire the staff."

This dude is an actual psychopath but mystery shopping owns. I used to do it and I'd always rate the service and poo poo really highly, and get free meals out of it.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Propitious Jerk posted:

Haven't even finished the second paragraph and he's already a super villain.

quote:

Today, at 27, he brings in $615,000 annually ($305,000 after business expenses) thanks to a mix of income from rental properties, his day job working in commercial insurance sales

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010

Inceltown posted:

Haven't even finished the second paragraph and he's already a super villain.

I missed this choice quote from the followup article

quote:

The couple, whose net worth is closer to $1.5 million today, “could probably retire now,” says Baldwin, but an early retirement doesn’t interest him just yet. “Our goals are so much loftier than that — I want my 6,000 apartments by the age of 60.”

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

i hope he loses his shirt when the real estate bubble bursts

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Looking to mystery shop for some guillotines

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!

Weaponized Autism posted:

Looking to mystery shop for some guillotines

the salesperson became incredibly helpful when he learned i intended to hang his boss with the rope

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

mlmp08 posted:

That is not how it works in the United States. Soldier or sailor or whatever branch (single without any dependents) gets paid X + Y, where X is basic pay and Y is tax-free housing money. Alternately, at certain (junior) ranks, they don't get paid Y but are given barracks housing.

Soldier with dependent(s) gets X + Y +Z where Z is a (somewhat) greater housing allowance than just Y. Often it's about a 15-30% bump in housing allowance over a military member without any dependents depending on location and rank.

There is no multiplier where you get more and more money for having more dependents, except that they all get government-provided medical care at no additional cost to the soldier. So a soldier with one kid or no kids and a spouse gets paid the same as a soldier with eight kids.

Yes, some junior soldiers will get married quickly just to move out of the barracks. Or to give someone medical coverage while operating in essentially a platonic relationship.

Getting out of room inspections might be worth the dysfunctional relationship.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

if the military put weed in it's MREs and gave out government mids and tactical bongs I'd join

us army recruiters your white whale is calling

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Propitious Jerk posted:

I missed this choice quote from the followup article

mmm that pure greed smell is very haute couture right now

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

as a trans woman I can't donate sperm or eggs, but my foot fetish video potential is up uP UP

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

T-man posted:

as a trans woman I can't donate sperm or eggs, but my foot fetish video potential is up uP UP

well you can donate them, they just can’t be yours

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

cash crab posted:

possession is nine tenths

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

cash crab posted:

as a female MRA i am quite firmly against the cruel misandrist act of spermjacking madam

egg theft is more a question of means tho

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

ikanreed posted:

It sure does explain a lot of Tropes about marriage in the military. Enlisted men getting married to strippers, guys being cheated on while abroad, that one post on here where some dude is urging a lady to not marry a guy in the army.

I remember back in my China ESL days where one of my colleagues, a veteran who played in the Army band, would always call military wives "Step fords".

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Forceholy posted:

It sure does explain a lot of Tropes about marriage in the military. Enlisted men getting married to strippers, guys being cheated on while abroad, that one post on here where some dude is urging a lady to not marry a guy in the army.

I remember back in my China ESL days where one of my colleagues, a veteran who played in the Army band, would always call military wives "Step fords".

You may find this thread enlightening.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

T-man posted:

as a female MRA i am quite firmly against the cruel misandrist act of spermjacking madam

egg theft is more a question of means tho

seize the means

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/veenadubal/status/1234866266126422017

quote:

Uber told drivers that it is "working closely with public health authorities to pass along the most up-to-date guidance," which included "if you feel sick, stay home," according to the message within the Uber driver app, seen by CNN Business. But the fact remains that these workers do not have paid sick days, meaning they potentially must weigh their livelihood against risking their health and that of their passengers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Our Safety Compliance Officer sent out a similar email yesterday. That's just America right there "well don't come in if sick, but also no sick days and don't forget that No Fault Point System and you'll be fired if you're out too long"