Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Marin Karin posted:

Nothing says elegant space elf like gangling goat legs with just a head on top.

I got into Eldar recently and got lucky with finding a Wake the Dead box, which is an infinitely better starting point than their SC. Way cheaper too if you sell the Primaris half.

I always liked the "dude protected by a force field" version of the Walker. That felt much more Eldar than the "Sentinel with a growth spurt" that the current version has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
War walkers feel like one of those weird early 40k things like ork dreadnoughts that for some reason just never got updated

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

Stephenls posted:

Giving them big stompy boots was clearly the correct decision. Finally, after three years, I have a visual language for Reivers that fits what I'm trying to establish for my emomarines. Maybe in another three I'll have one for Aggressors. (I mean, okay, reverse-grip tacticool chainsword guy is never gonna get less goofy, but the rest are good.)

I think they're as close to assembled as they can be until I get that shipment of bitz to let me outfit them all with holsters for their pistols.

If I have one regret on these guys it's that I kinda wish I'd experimented with shaving off the rim above their kneepads.

EDIT: Bonus theme song.

I’m really digging the look of these! What kit are the chainswords from?

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Hellburger99 posted:

I’m really digging the look of these! What kit are the chainswords from?

Thanks!

They're just regular assault marine chainswords -- I bought, like, fifteen assault marine chainsword left arms off an eBay bitz reseller so I'd have a consistent supply if I wanted to dick around with kitbashing them. They have slightly smaller hands than the Reivers but not enough to be noticeable, so for the non-reverse-grip chainswords I just cut hands straight off the assault marine arms and glued them to the Reiver knife arms after cutting the hands off those. For the reverse-grip chainswords I had to keep the Reiver hands and cut the blades and pommels of their knives off, then attach chainswords directly to those, which required some trimming of details to make things fit.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?

jng2058 posted:

I always liked the "dude protected by a force field" version of the Walker. That felt much more Eldar than the "Sentinel with a growth spurt" that the current version has.

This is both really cool and silly as hell, which is when 40k is at its be- holy gently caress it has guy fieri flames on its legs

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Marin Karin posted:

This is both really cool and silly as hell, which is when 40k is at its be- holy gently caress it has guy fieri flames on its legs

Starburst missiles are special ordered from flavor town

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Tulip posted:

Starburst missiles are special ordered from flavor town

I still haven't forgiven GW for changing the name from Opal missiles tbh

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Marin Karin posted:

I do really like seeing how the aesthetic of the models sort of changes with the times.

In the 80s and 90s it was all bold primary colours and stuff that, today, I see as goofy.

Then it was all like more toned down colours, making things look realistic, power swords were painted metallic etc.

Now it's started edging back more towards the crazy paint schemes on power swords but even mortarion and magnus are super colourful.

I do wonder if the next generation of film goers/gamers/whatever are going to look back on the media we designed and consumed and go "wow, everyone was so loving depressing then. I have no idea why, the sea levels were 40m lower then and the rainforests still existed"

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
All of Blache's warham poo poo is still loving top notch. Once I get my dwarfs done I'm going to make a nighthaunt horde and paint everything brown in his honour.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Revelation 2-13 posted:

For the troops you have some choices to make. Since you have the alphus, it makes sense to go with a bunch of neophytes with lotsa mining weapons. The single good thing that came out of their recent book, was a bonus to mining weapons. So you might want some of those. Acolyte hybrids are point for point some of the best troops in the game, current my lists mainly uses acolytes and it uses roughly 45-50 of them. 4 x 5 man squads, 1 with 15 (5 demo charges) man and another 15 man (6 rock saws). They come in kinda pricy boxes of 5 :negative: in the end you might want to go 50/50 on neophytes/acolytes, to have some variety and such.

Thanks for the advice.

I also just discovered that there's only one rock saw per box of Acolytes. :negative:

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Dawgstar posted:

Thanks for the advice.

I also just discovered that there's only one rock saw per box of Acolytes. :negative:

Don’t worry! You’ll need a ton of boxes to fill out your troops because there’s only five to a box :smithicide:

I’m super glad I jumped on the Overkill boxes back when GSC were released. What a bonkers value compared to the incredibly expensive kits we have now.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Kitchner posted:

I do really like seeing how the aesthetic of the models sort of changes with the times.

In the 80s and 90s it was all bold primary colours and stuff that, today, I see as goofy.

Then it was all like more toned down colours, making things look realistic, power swords were painted metallic etc.

Now it's started edging back more towards the crazy paint schemes on power swords but even mortarion and magnus are super colourful.

I do wonder if the next generation of film goers/gamers/whatever are going to look back on the media we designed and consumed and go "wow, everyone was so loving depressing then. I have no idea why, the sea levels were 40m lower then and the rainforests still existed"

haven't really seen it in hamworld but in more general gaming its been a thing for a while to complain about mid 00s "everything is brown or grey" color palettes.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Chestnut Ink is the reason all of my early 2000s stuff is sepia.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Worth noting that the War Walker looked slightly less weird and doofy because originally the Eldar dreadnought wraithlord was built on the same design (and with many shared pieces) so the Walker looked kind of like an angry ostrich and the wraithlord looked like a grandpa with his pants all the way up, so it wasn't really out of style.

Also Eldar didn't have any tanks at all, it was full infantry except for jetbikes and the Vyper (which had a datacard but no model), and Guardians wore chainmail with bellbottom armor. What I'm saying is that overall Eldar were some kind of eccentric looking guys.

The walkers did kind of get left behind in the general sleeker redesign, they gained canopies but not a lot of overall changes. I don't really know how they could have brought them more in line though without a radical change. Maybe imitate the revenant scout titans?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
My biggest problem with them is a walking bipedal vehicle operated from a cockpit doesn't spring to mind when I think of elegance or sleekness of whatever.

Like the Dreadknight is dumb but also in a weird way its pretty up there with imperial stuff, it looks like it thuds around creating hissing noises and could be tripped up fairly easily.

Personally I'd have just scrapped it and introduced some sort of fast but small wraith model.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Just in case some of you weirdos are looking for Dark Angels characters:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Kitchner posted:

My biggest problem with them is a walking bipedal vehicle operated from a cockpit doesn't spring to mind when I think of elegance or sleekness of whatever.

I think it would look a bit better if it was more of a bike with legs, sleeker and more agile looking

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

Dawgstar posted:

I assembled all three mining weapons, but clipped off the end of the cutter and drill, and replaced them with buzzsaw bits from Ork nobs and stuff (which go pretty cheap from bits sellers). You could also wait for a bunch of Penitent Engine buzz blades to go up for sale since everyone will be building them with flails.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Kitchner posted:

Like the Dreadknight is dumb but also in a weird way its pretty up there with imperial stuff, it looks like it thuds around creating hissing noises and could be tripped up fairly easily.

Personally I'd have just scrapped it and introduced some sort of fast but small wraith model.

Yea, that's fair. Probably the good solution for them would have been to either revive the Spirit Walker as a sort of light Wraithlord variant that carried more ranged weapons, or just create a new chassis that leaned into the idea of scout weapons that could be easily deployed and relocated by a handful of crew, like some sort of advanced weapon platform. Although now that I have typed that, it's pretty much what a Vyper is, so.... I can appreciate that they didn't really want to just trash one of the older and more well-used Eldar platforms though.

Someone mentioned how bright and crazy older designs were, so I wanted to share these bad boys:

Also Firelegs Walker was a realized idea:

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Ashcans posted:

chainmail with bellbottom armor.

They should bring this back.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Outflanking scatter laser War Walkers were criminally underrated in 6th/7th

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Safety Factor posted:

All the dark angels 30k stuff has been great looking so far

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Ashcans posted:

Someone mentioned how bright and crazy older designs were, so I wanted to share these bad boys:

That one on the left is making my eyes bleed. Imagine having an entire army painted like that.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 2, 2020

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
paging dikh

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Kitchner posted:

That one on the left is making my eyes bleed. Imagine having an entire army painted like that.

Jordorowsky's Craftworld

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Genestealer Cult question - is the Kelermorph with Oppressor's Bane as much fun as it looks like?

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Safety Factor posted:

Those look really great.

Did the the lore get changed on when the Deathwing went to bone white armour? One of the better pieces of lore I remember from 2nd edition was a single squad of Deathwing Terminators purging a DA recruiting world of a Genestealer infestation. They painted their armour white as they didn't expect to survive. The Deathwing as a whole adopted the practice thereafter.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Maneck posted:

Those look really great.

Did the the lore get changed on when the Deathwing went to bone white armour? One of the better pieces of lore I remember from 2nd edition was a single squad of Deathwing Terminators purging a DA recruiting world of a Genestealer infestation. They painted their armour white as they didn't expect to survive. The Deathwing as a whole adopted the practice thereafter.

I think that now that's just one of several stories that the DA have for the Deathwing colours

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Maneck posted:

Those look really great.

It seems to be a slight retcon, yeah. I just read the Lion's primarch book and it's the first time I remember reading about the Companions at all. Those specific guys are in bone-colored tartaros armor and I figured they'd be able to be represented by a command squad in 30k, similar to sanguinary guard. The bone armor is a sign they've taken a blow meant for their VIP. It's mentioned in the WHC article.

I don't think this undoes anything for 40k Deathwing. They may be simply trying to show that the bone armor was an extension of an existing tradition within the legion/chapter.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Dawgstar posted:

Genestealer Cult question - is the Kelermorph with Oppressor's Bane as much fun as it looks like?

Yes it’s delightfully brutal. GSC has a number of good relics.

Shadowed Bacon
Apr 28, 2009

Maneck posted:

Those look really great.

I picked up the death wing anthology book from half-price books recently, which had that story. about 80 years before the Dark Angels recruiting team arrive, Genestealers crash on the world, team up with the tribes nobody likes by giving them better steel for war-axes(which wouldn't actually make much of a difference), then turned the world from hunter-gathers into an industrialized slum (well, one town, the story treats the planet in Star Trek "only one spot on the planet has anything going on" style). After the Dark Angels librarian gets captured scouting the town, he is brought to the patriarch and kills it with his mind while his team is slaughtering the rest of the 'Stealers, and after that the DA are like "OK, we are going back to the old ways, split up and let's go live off the land, population of mostly city born folk". In an epilogue, the last surviving DA tells the story to a second team sent to find out what happened and retrieve the armor, and he asks that his brothers' armor (which was buried with them when they died of old age) remain bone-white.

Also, the toughest thing on the planet that a man has to kill to prove himself a warrior? Weasels. Which explains why a character is named Weasel-Fierce (Well, his tribe name, they state outright the recruits from this planet are given standard DA names when they get to the Rock.)

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Shadowed Bacon posted:

I picked up the death wing anthology book from half-price books recently, which had that story. about 80 years before the Dark Angels recruiting team arrive, Genestealers crash on the world, team up with the tribes nobody likes by giving them better steel for war-axes(which wouldn't actually make much of a difference), then turned the world from hunter-gathers into an industrialized slum (well, one town, the story treats the planet in Star Trek "only one spot on the planet has anything going on" style). After the Dark Angels librarian gets captured scouting the town, he is brought to the patriarch and kills it with his mind while his team is slaughtering the rest of the 'Stealers, and after that the DA are like "OK, we are going back to the old ways, split up and let's go live off the land, population of mostly city born folk". In an epilogue, the last surviving DA tells the story to a second team sent to find out what happened and retrieve the armor, and he asks that his brothers' armor (which was buried with them when they died of old age) remain bone-white.

Also, the toughest thing on the planet that a man has to kill to prove himself a warrior? Weasels. Which explains why a character is named Weasel-Fierce (Well, his tribe name, they state outright the recruits from this planet are given standard DA names when they get to the Rock.)

Man I remember reading that when I was a kid. Dude was named 'Two Heads Talking' :P

Spent a lot of time staring at the accompanying artwork. I really loved the gritty feel of much of that old B&W stuff..

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
That nice alien is just trying to hug that space marine and he has electrocuted him for his troubles. How awful.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Kitchner posted:

That nice alien is just trying to hug that space marine and he has electrocuted him for his troubles. How awful.

The Space Marine explicitly did not consent to hugging. It doesn't matter if you are trying to be friendly, you have to respect other people's bodily autonomy. :colbert:

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

I always thought Deathwing armor was white due to some doomed Terminator squad burning their fallen brothers and then smearing the ashes over their armor? Once that happened, the rest of the 1st company carried on the tradition in honor of those guys or something like that? I may be remembering wrong.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Ashcans posted:

The Space Marine explicitly did not consent to hugging. It doesn't matter if you are trying to be friendly, you have to respect other people's bodily autonomy. :colbert:

Respect my armour autonomy.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
the "tale of two heads talking" iirc was used to explain the colors of the armor for those not trusted with the knowledge of the hunt for the fallen.

of course i havent kept up on the fluff for like 10 years so god knows what they've retconned.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

Dawgstar posted:

I don't think so. It only replaces one of his three guns so the benefit is marginal, it's not a terrible relic but we have multiple far better ones.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Hell yeah Buttscribe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

Buttscribe fuckin rules, I have no idea why people use the raw battlescribe output. Laziness I guess?

I have to say my first game went decently.
Fewer people showed up than expected, so my Boyz teamed up with my girlfriend's Sisters to take on a patrol and batallion of Raven Guard. Unfortunately we didn't finish the game, the LGS closed at 11 but it was fun. I completely forgot about Mob Rule so I lost a few Boyz to Bustin' Heads in the morale phase, but I'll remember it next time, which is Sunday. Homebody's RG batallion had a dreadnaught and another mech so I think I'll get to work putting my other mek gun kits together.