Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Ugh, guess I'm fasting today. Thanks for sharing that photo :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
What pic??

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Buttons centered on the forehead with the right side level with the ground (i.e. tipped to the right). So, not like that American. It's in the dress instructions.

Nobody gives a poo poo, though it certainly looks better tilted.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Tilt it over to the right until it falls off, then 2º back to the left

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
We normally had the right edge of the hat two fingers above the right ear. But the real answer is

compressioncut posted:

Nobody gives a poo poo

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Just don't wear the wedge dead centre.

Unless you're an officer, I guess? Then it's okay to look like an awkward doofus.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Unless you're an officer, I guess? Then it's okay to have your hands in your pockets.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I asked Vance if I could re-up at an event yesterday and he said “I’ll look into it” lol

Otherwise I guess retirement is okay, I’m a RCN dependa while finishing out university and training for nationals.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Ottawa Citizen: Shorter skirts, disaster relief and highlighting medals as 'bling' might bring more women into the military.

Yes, shorter skirts are the way to boost rates of enlistment for women, clearly

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Speaking only for myself here, the short skirt note feels like it was chosen for the headline to provoke to provoke the :bahgawd: types. There are a lot of much better ideas in there on how to cut down the perception of how bad military life is for women.

The DEU shoes are awful though, and the female air force pants are the worst DEU clothing item, good god.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

I won't be satisfied until the mens' skirts are just as short as the womens' skirts

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

stevobob posted:

I won't be satisfied until the mens' skirts are just as short as the womens' skirts

technically they're called kilts, but I agree

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Canuck-Errant posted:

technically they're called kilts, but I agree

Can't you only wear the kilt if [reasons having to do with Highlanders or bagpipes]? Whereas skirt/pants is just an option while in a state of dress? If I can just wear a kilt instead of DEU pants then where has this knowledge been

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Shorter skirts huh? Finally DND will have something to blame the horrific sexual assaults metrics on!

Kidding, they've always blamed the victims.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

stevobob posted:

Can't you only wear the kilt if [reasons having to do with Highlanders or bagpipes]? Whereas skirt/pants is just an option while in a state of dress? If I can just wear a kilt instead of DEU pants then where has this knowledge been

sadly only Highland and kilted Irish regiments, or pipe bands can wear kilts; guess you'll just have to hold out for KILTFORGEN or SKIRTFORGEN

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Guys, holy poo poo, stop calling in favours if I'm never gonna get any kickbacks.

Buy me a coffee or a donut for god sakes, or wait 6 months like the rest of the vets!

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

quote:

Advertisements aimed at the younger generation are also important. One proposal to highlight work and life balance for a young woman in the Canadian Forces called for a video showing a female soldier taking off her helmet at the end of the day while “male and female co-workers gather and agree to having a camp fire at a sandy beach.” Later they “grill marshmallows, laughing and relaxing.”
I'm picturing a commercial for herpes medication.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Guys, holy poo poo, stop calling in favours if I'm never gonna get any kickbacks.

Buy me a coffee or a donut for god sakes, or wait 6 months like the rest of the vets!

Important question though - Suzy Q's or Mavericks? Or would you stoop to T-Ho's?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
T-Hos i can get on the reg, but i dont discriminate.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Anyone know where I can get moral patches made in Canada?

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

FrozenVent posted:

Anyone know where I can get moral patches made in Canada?

CPgear?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

What are you looking to make, and how many of them do you want?

DBES is alright but they suck at communicating, but I was able to buy a batch of five custom aircrew patches for $60 shipped.

There's another one in pet that's supposed to be good for low orders but I can't remember the name offhand.

If you're buying in volume and fear no epidemic, china starts to make be the lowest cost. Just make sure to microwave the patches til they stop sparking then they're safe for SDAs. A couple US vendors used to be competitive, but it's not worth it anymore with the exchange rate.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

weekend bmq is really annoying cause you kinda get used to army by Sunday then you go home and reset for civvy work but I feel either the unit I am at is hella chill or it’s just like this for the reserves in general but there is so little jacking up. There has been one occasion where the staff did the whole yelling and throwing poo poo around shtick but most of the time even if you gently caress up the worse you get is a stern talking to.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Generation Internet fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 7, 2023

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Yeah quality of training will invariably suffer because you can't keep your head in the game the entire time. Oh well, make good notes, study like a big nerd, and don't poo poo the bed.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

And if someone says 'fire' in their sleep, it only counts if they repeat it two more times in quick succession, otherwise it's safe to go back to sleep.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

So, like, what's this about the authorization to wear certain trade qual patches on your combats now? And you can wear them if you are no longer in the trade?

I don't know how I feel about this. It almost feels like stolen valour-adjacent now.

Or am I crazy?

A nerd like me walking around with a Recce patch just seems... Wrong, now. I mean, I waited three years before I even changed my DEU patches to my new trade after I left the infantry, but now it's been nearly eight years and I don't feel that much of a connection anymore. Also, almost everyone I did battle school with is no longer in the infantry as well.

Did someone actually demand this to happen? Seems weird to me.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

paratroopers

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Hizawk posted:

So, like, what's this about the authorization to wear certain trade qual patches on your combats now? And you can wear them if you are no longer in the trade?

I don't know how I feel about this. It almost feels like stolen valour-adjacent now.

Or am I crazy?

A nerd like me walking around with a Recce patch just seems... Wrong, now. I mean, I waited three years before I even changed my DEU patches to my new trade after I left the infantry, but now it's been nearly eight years and I don't feel that much of a connection anymore. Also, almost everyone I did battle school with is no longer in the infantry as well.

Did someone actually demand this to happen? Seems weird to me.

My personal view is that if you earned it, #yolo that poo poo. I once saw pre-OFP trainee rocking a pathfinder badge and thought it was cool, your personal NCO/officer corps may vary.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Feb 23, 2020

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Anecdotally that’s 100% what drove it in Petawawa.

Can/should I wear my CAF decorations at RCMP depot or wait until graduation.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

If you've got a ribbon for it, and you're wearing a police uniform, put it on.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
At Depot? Wait until graduation. Be the gray man.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Thanks. I didn’t expect the RCMP thing to happen so fast. I don’t want to get smoked right out of the gate. Laying low will be nice.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Canuck-Errant posted:

At Depot? Wait until graduation. Be the gray man.

I made the gray man recommendation to a co-worker who's kid joined as a sapper. Apparently the kid didn't get it at first, but after the first day or two at BMQ figured it out right quick.
I'm glad people can heed the wisdom earned from a lifetime of poor decisions. Still not as bad as the cadet CWO who tried to act like his cadet rank mattered in BMQ though.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Frosted Flake posted:

Thanks. I didn’t expect the RCMP thing to happen so fast. I don’t want to get smoked right out of the gate. Laying low will be nice.
How long did it take you, if I may ask? Is it still 1.5 years approx? I expect your degree probably fast-tracked you a bit (i.e. not having to write the exam).

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

MA-Horus posted:

. Still not as bad as the cadet CWO who tried to act like his cadet rank mattered in BMQ though.

Oh.

Oh no.

That poor locker....

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Frosted Flake posted:

Congrats and good luck in BC afterwards.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

MA-Horus posted:

I made the gray man recommendation to a co-worker who's kid joined as a sapper. Apparently the kid didn't get it at first, but after the first day or two at BMQ figured it out right quick.
I'm glad people can heed the wisdom earned from a lifetime of poor decisions. Still not as bad as the cadet CWO who tried to act like his cadet rank mattered in BMQ though.

I hope the staff called him "Private Warrant Bloggins"

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

How long did it take you, if I may ask? Is it still 1.5 years approx? I expect your degree probably fast-tracked you a bit (i.e. not having to write the exam).

Military is what gets you to the top of the pile, same with the CBSA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

MA-Horus posted:

Still not as bad as the cadet CWO who tried to act like his cadet rank mattered in BMQ though.

If I didn't already share the tale of the dude who tried to pull senior untrained private to get out of changing a trash bag because his BMQ serial started a week earlier, consider it told :v: