Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
It typically comes out that every dollar you spend on safety saves you three dollars. If implementing safety stuff puts you out of business, you’re doing it wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
yeah but for devils advocate purposes isn't a large amount of that savings from stuff like not having to retrain a guy who's arm got ripped out and not having to pay medical bills for that same guy? depending on the situation having that happen is already going to be a death sentence for the whole fam so... eh :shrug:

also aren't like 90% of the farmers in the US actually literally dead and all their lands have been absorbed by megacorps?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

SniperWoreConverse posted:

yeah but for devils advocate purposes isn't a large amount of that savings from stuff like not having to retrain a guy who's arm got ripped out and not having to pay medical bills for that same guy? depending on the situation having that happen is already going to be a death sentence for the whole fam so... eh :shrug:

also aren't like 90% of the farmers in the US actually literally dead and all their lands have been absorbed by megacorps?

A pretty decent amount is in indirect costs, yeah, but the insurance/workers comp savings aren’t something to sneeze at.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Yeah agri in the US is, like most sectors, regulatory-captured on the financial side at least (tho you can compare US food regs to EU ones for a fun time) and most "relief" doesn't actually help family farms.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Mr. Pretty-Boy Farmer Still Has All His Fingers

A factual description of farmers' attitudes to health and safety posted:

PARKERSBURG, IA—Forty-eight-year-old local farmer Eli Ridley is a real pretty-boy looker who still has all 10 of his digits, sources reported Monday.

Mr. Hollywood movie star, who apparently has never once gotten his hand stuck inside a grain auger or had a ring finger pulped by a carelessly swung sledgehammer, reportedly gets the goo-goo eyes from all the waitresses at Tyler's Diner whenever he comes in to buy a cup of coffee.

"I bet it only takes him about 30 seconds to tie up his boots in the morning," said farmer Ted Barrow, gesturing with his gnarled finger-nubs. "Just look at him. Always wavin' at people and shakin' their hands without them recoiling in disgust. What a sissy."

According to locals, Ridley is so in love with his precious little fingers that he never removes the safety guards from dangerous machinery, and always thinks to shut off the PTO shafts before dismounting from his tractor. Parkersburg's very own Brad Pitt also takes his precious time and lets his combine head come to a complete stop whenever he needs to pull a rock out of it.

God forbid something happen to his 10 darling, milk-white babies, sources said.

"I saw him painting his barn one time when a thunderstorm rolled through," farmer Lee Yewell said. "Damned if he didn't scamper right down that aluminum ladder like a frightened squirrel after the first lightning strike."

"Wouldn't want a little rain to mess up that perfect hairdo, now, would we?" added Yewell, scratching his remaining shock of hair with a black and withered hand.

Ol' "Still Got My Thumbs" Ridley here has reportedly not once had to dial 911 with a pencil in his teeth and then wait in the bathtub for the ambulance to arrive, probably because he was too busy buttoning his flannel shirts all by himself without any help from anyone.

"Hell, I bet he doesn't even have to jam a teat between his index and middle finger and struggle to pull it down with all his might," dairy farmhand Jacob O'Toole said. "It's enough to make you sick."

In addition to having the prettiest little hands you ever did see, Slick Ridley also has full lung capacity on account of never having fallen into a silo and nearly suffocated in the corn. Not having to constantly gasp for air is reportedly real useful for sweet-talking all the women.

"Line up for '10 Fingers' Ridley, ladies," wheezed a farmer who was unable to give his name or offer further comment.

Some have questioned why Ridley continues to farm at all, when he could make so much more money as a male prostitute with his celebrity-quality, fully intact hands. When asked, sources confirmed that it's not as though he had to give up farming because a punctured hydraulic hose on a dump cart spewed a high-pressure jet of oil that severed off his right hand and three of the fingers on his left, so that he can no longer do an honest day's work and has to agonizingly type out news stories for 10 cents per word.

It is believed that when Ridley has dozens of grandchildren due to how perfect he is, they will never hesitate when forced by their parents to hug him.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Ugly In The Morning posted:

A pretty decent amount is in indirect costs, yeah, but the insurance/workers comp savings aren’t something to sneeze at.

Might as well pencil in 6 figures for any work related back injuries, for instance.

poo poo my old man had a knee replacement paid for by workers comp 20 years after his initial injury. His good knee was ruined after years of overcompensating for his not good leg. The actual incident was a little more... Let's just say horrific.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

https://i.imgur.com/CWlbGXv.gifv

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Taking the Express Line to work?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I’d be lyin’, man, if I said that didn’t look cool.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/HRy856c.mp4

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

That's not how you do the Electric Slide

or maybe... it IS.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

minato posted:

That's not how you do the Electric Slide

or maybe... it IS.

If it was the real deal you wouldn't be able to see it.

SoylentCola
Mar 21, 2001

Ultra Carp

bring back old gbs posted:

this one made me laugh real good when it panned over to the other guy

It's from a BBC comedy series (a very good one) called "This Country".

Zushio
May 8, 2008

At first I thought this was a whirlpool that was also on fire. Then I realized it was all fire. Some kind of chemical spill in a windstorm is my current guess.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Zushio posted:

At first I thought this was a whirlpool that was also on fire. Then I realized it was all fire. Some kind of chemical spill in a windstorm is my current guess.

The video linked in the comments says it was a mound of sulfur that caught fire.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

senrath posted:

The video linked in the comments says it was a mound of sulfur that caught fire.

Huh. So this is canon Hell.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That's got to smell amazing

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

From the video:

quote:

Worland Volunteer Fire Department -07/07/2017 WFD was called to Smet Recycling on HWY 20 North for a report of an unknown type of fire. Upon arrival we found that the fire was a sulfur mound that had been ignited. Despite the beautiful flames, burning sulfur creates a hazardous gas called sulfur dioxide. WFD was able to position apparatus in a safe location and lay in a line to extinguish the fire. We captured the video, while in full PPE and wearing SCBA's during a size up of the situation, as crews were setting up for suppression.

** Update / Response to comments and questions: Burning sulfur creates sulfur dioxide (SO2) gas that has a very strong, choking odor. The fire was burning in a “bowl” shaped area, allowing all runoff to be collected in the fire area. A minimal amount of water was used to cool the surface of the sulfur and reduce the temperature below the molten stage. Adding water to an SO2 gas creates sulfurous acid, (not to be confused with sulfuric acid) which can be related to “acid rain”. Apparatus and personnel placement as well as careful monitoring of the weather conditions in relation to smoke and chemical plume is very important. The deposits in rural Washakie County are leftover from the Texas Gulf Sulfur Plant that operated north of Worland in the 1950’s. Much of the sulfur is mixed heavily with soil and is not 100% sulfur concentrate. This is a type of fire that is not common but needs to be addressed and dealt with safely and quickly. Fortunately the WFD has Hazmat Technicians and we have an understanding of this as we deal with H2S and SO2 on a somewhat regular basis.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Mr. Nice! posted:

If following proper safety precautions costs you $100k/yr on top of a loss of $100k/yr, you should not be in business.

:emptyquote:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Not going to lie. I want to do that.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

LLSix posted:

Not going to lie. I want to do that.

"I'm an electron!"

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Re: farmchat

I'm not going to say we're OSHA enough at ours, for sure. We're not big, what profit we get is from selling hay to the neighboring farms, our beans usually are a wash.

For us, being much safer is only going to cost us more time, which isn't money since it's all family and we aren't doing hourly poo poo, it's all tradition etc.

What I'm saying is safety is going to save more period because dying is bad and if we're just looking at pure time spent one less body is pretty devastating.

I'm pretty sure the old Allis-Chalmers would kill us all if it ever stopped getting hydraulic leaks. :bahgawd:

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

chitoryu12 posted:

Huh. So this is canon Hell.

First circle at most.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ybbbePvnVE

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Icon Of Sin posted:

Quoting this a) b) there’s a thread title or 3 in there somewhere.

mostlygray posted:

, "How will I die today?"

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Who farted? :D

Goddamnit Rick, that joke is getting very old.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

PathAsc posted:

dying is bad

:eng101:

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

PathAsc posted:

Re: farmchat

our beans usually are a wash.

So definitely doesn't amount to a hill then?

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Super Soaker Party! posted:

So definitely doesn't amount to a hill then?

Lol, this is golden

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

My name is Jon Tester, and I approve this message.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/Gsco6NW.mp4
:psypop:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

holy gently caress they're both lucky as all hell.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

The engine block is completely caved in, but the windshield wipers work like a charm!

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Coxswain Balls posted:

OSHA IV: Safety would make it impossible. There's no money in it.

Can we get new thread title?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

A guy on my current job's Advisory Board was born with one hand severely deformed, with only one crude thumb. Despite only having one good hand, he decided to be a typical reckless farmer and lost all but the thumb and two fingers on his other hand to a PTO.

When he was on the way to the hospital, he asked the paramedics if they had any water. One of them dryly told him the only water they had was whatever melted from the ice around his severed fingers.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

"spa"

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/currentvictim/status/1234540132625047564?s=21

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
That's probably about as effective as the real N95 masks. The virus isn't like airborne, it comes from touching surfaces that someone coughed on then touching your face. His mask prevents face-touching just as well as a real one I bet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Classon Ave. Robot posted:

That's probably about as effective as the real N95 masks. The virus isn't like airborne, it comes from touching surfaces that someone coughed on then touching your face. His mask prevents face-touching just as well as a real one I bet.

Except he's probably touching his face even more than usual because he has a paper towel strapped to it with rubber bands.