Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

GoodBee posted:

My town may end up being Burgville.
Lol that's exactly what I tried on this New Leaf run, and had to settle for Burgburg :sigh:
At least I still got to make a big burger flag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Trying to queue up new AC avatar. Gonna see how it pans out :v:

It legit bums me out beards aren't an option.

Like I get I can draw on a beard... but.. beards :(

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Infinitum posted:

I'm not positive but I think those are just the options available to you at the onset

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Flavortown and hope the game lets me put on backwards facing sunglasses.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Since I always end up living in a spoOoOky mansion I’ll probably make my town tune the Haunted Mansion organ from the foyer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDJPzvC6H8w

phourniner
Feb 19, 2007

When you're in a town like this all covered with smoke, you forget that there's a world outside. Nothing amazing happens here. And you get used to that, used to a world where everything is ordinary. Every day we spend here is like a whole lifetime of dying slowly.

Infinitum posted:

You can definitely get a goatee.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Since I always end up living in a spoOoOky mansion I’ll probably make my town tune the Haunted Mansion organ from the foyer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDJPzvC6H8w

Yep, I'm gonna have a spooky mansion as well. Can't wait to go crazy for Halloween in this game!

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Name your towns 'Dongvile'

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Watching the direct yet again, I'm really hoping for daily quests or the like to have an unlimited source of nook miles. It would feel pretty bad if they eventually ran out.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Daily quests have already been confirmed to unlock at some point in the game.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
I think I'll try to make the town song Oswald's Theme from Epic Mickey.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Kaethela posted:

Watching the direct yet again, I'm really hoping for daily quests or the like to have an unlimited source of nook miles. It would feel pretty bad if they eventually ran out.
Nook Miles+ were confirmed at PAX East. They change daily and appeared to give a bit less than 2,000 miles if you did them all. Additionally you get some miles for just checking the nook miles machine, with the implication that you get more for checking on consecutive days.

So it seems like you'll probably get enough to get a nook miles ticket just about daily, if you so desired.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Kaethela posted:

Someone please make a Die Anywhere Else town tune because I am entirely useless when it comes to music stuff.

i get why you'd want such a catchy tune but otoh i want to die on my animal crossing new horizons island and nowhere else so i'm not sure it'll be thematically appropriate

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I imagine it'll be like the system they implemented in the Welcome Amiibo expansion for New Leaf, where you'd have daily and weekly tasks to complete that award coupons (tickets?) that you could exchange for goods at the campground. The tasks were usually quite easy to do, and you got a new set every day/week.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Was listening to some New Horizons music rips (some of which are pretty garbled, but still, amazing soundtrack) and there is this K.K. Slider rendition of the main theme that sounds like a live track, complete with people clapping (the AWOOOO with the crowd doing it in unison after absolutely kills me). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQqAEM4T70E

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Cyster posted:

1) Accessibility. If you haven't spent time learning how to music, being presented with notes and bars can be downright daunting - and the more space there is for it, the more rope you're given to hang yourself. The town tune maker is presented like a toddler's toy, with funny animals and bright colors. Keeping it to two bars and in C Major means it's simple to grok and hard to get overwhelmed. (It's worth mentioning they've allowed for greater complexity in other places over the years, like patterns, but music in a visual medium brings with it an automatic level of abstraction that's absent in the concept of giving you more space to draw.)

Music is the one art thing I never got the hang of making or understanding in school. Mario Paint was the closest I ever felt to understanding how to compose music and I keep wishing someone would make a fruity loops thingy to just make everything into a mario paint version of itself. In AC I just mess with notes until it's something kind of pleasant I won't mind sprinkled around.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Boy I hope I’m alive long enough to enjoy this game.

Areola Grande
Jan 2, 2015

it's a free country u pervs
:stare:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I suggest using the rescue service if you're feeling trapped.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Was listening to some New Horizons music rips (some of which are pretty garbled, but still, amazing soundtrack) and there is this K.K. Slider rendition of the main theme that sounds like a live track, complete with people clapping (the AWOOOO with the crowd doing it in unison after absolutely kills me). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQqAEM4T70E

This was from a Splatoon concert! K.K. performed live! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg8lSBFwmRM

vanisher
Jul 12, 2005

Fun Shoe
So did you friends see the net/fishing pole customization pictures yet?

Areola Grande
Jan 2, 2015

it's a free country u pervs
No!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

vanisher posted:

So did you friends see the net/fishing pole customization pictures yet?

Are you talking about this one with the weirdly colored net?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

If you can craft a lovely stick net, I’m sure you can craft fancier nets. Thought never occurred to me but yay!

vanisher
Jul 12, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah that one! There was also a green fishing rod lemme grab it

vanisher
Jul 12, 2005

Fun Shoe
Maybe I hallucinated it

e: found it

vanisher fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 3, 2020

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

So as someone that hasn't played since the Gamecube days, how exactly did they water down the villager personalities like people were saying upthread? As an old man adult who was a (much younger) adult at the time of that games' release, a lot of the charm of playing a game like this was their weirdo responses and personalities.

Did they write these out of existence or something, or am I just fretting over a couple people's posts?

Pakistani Brad Pitt fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 3, 2020

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

So as someone that hasn't played since the Gamecube days, how exactly did they water down the villager personalities like people were saying upthread? As an old man adult who was a (much younger) adult at the time of that games' release, a lot of the charm of playing a game like this was their weirdo responses and personalities.

Did they write these out of existence or something, or am I just fretting over a couple people's posts?

They just aren't as aggressively mean mostly. They're still goofy weirdos, just generally nicer.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Look into your heart and you will realize it’s the latter. Nerds panic over nothing constantly.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Zore posted:

They just aren't as aggressively mean mostly. They're still goofy weirdos, just generally nicer.

Basically in the GC game they would legit call you stupid, an idiot, dumb as a brick, etc.

Now they use fun words jokingly to insult you.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Villagers are no longer 50% nice kids and 50% douchebags, it's now 50% nice kids and 50% nice kids who want those gains.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Its a few things.

1: Villagers had a set personality (Jock, Normal, Peppy etc) and a sub-personality. This made it so two snooty villagers would have the same general pool of lines to repeat, but also had a few unique ones based on the secondary trait. It helped them feel more unique that way (unless I'm misremembering mind)

2: Villagers stood up for themselves and had more than one personality. If you kept harassing a villager by talking to them over and over again, pushing them into a corner, hitting them with a net they'd get ticked off and call you a dumb idiot baby leave them alone already. Their aggression was usually tuned up so it was kind of funny seeing one of them snap at you. In New Leaf everyone is just... nice all the time. If you bop them with a net they just politely ask you to stop and nobody is ever in a bad mood- they're just constantly happy. Nothing but happy. It's honestly a little unsettling how cheerful they are 24/7

3: Due to being happy all the time a lot of the personalities blended together in New Leaf. Cranky villagers weren't Cranky at all (they were just older men now) and Snooty villagers weren't Snooty at all, just fashion models. They all blended together as either 'normal person' or 'normal person with a quirk.
If you talk to a Cranky villager in New Leaf they'll tell you how cool you are and how its a nice day that they can enjoy.
If you talk to a Jock villager in New Leaf they'll tell you how cool you are and how its a nice day that they can enjoy while having a protien shake.

In the Gamecube version Cranky/Snooty villagers just sounded *tired* of bullshit and if you bothered them enough they'd want you to just leave them the hell alone. After a couple weeks though of talking with them they'd usually open up, apologize about how crummy they were being previously and admit you're not that bad to talk to and generally take on a nicer tone around you while still being jaded.

It's all very very flat in New Leaf.'

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 3, 2020

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

In the Gamecube version Cranky/Snooty villagers just sounded *tired* of bullshit and if you bothered them enough they'd want you to just leave them the hell alone. After a couple weeks though of talking with them they'd usually open up, apologize about how crummy they were being previously and admit you're not that bad to talk to and generally take on a nicer tone around you while still being jaded.
In my experience this never happened and they were douchebags forever.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Funky Valentine posted:

In my experience this never happened and they were douchebags forever.

I only recall it because there was a frog that was a big rear end in a top hat to me and kept blaming it on his age and whatnot and one day he was suddenly a lot nicer to me and started giving me random life advice like some weird frog dad because he cared.

I was like wow that's cool

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I only recall it because there was a frog that was a big rear end in a top hat to me and kept blaming it on his age and whatnot and one day he was suddenly a lot nicer to me and started giving me random life advice like some weird frog dad because he cared.

I was like wow that's cool

can confirm.

Im playing GC animal crossing again and drat,
Admiral is a huge dick to me.

Snooty introduced herself by saying i was ugly.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I wonder if the Japanese versions changed in that way?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Admiral is cool cause he has two TVs in his house.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/ACWorldBlog/status/1234649160198041600

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I wonder if the Japanese versions changed in that way?

From what I heard the Japanese version originally had polite villagers and the NA translation punched things up. Then when it got retranslated to Japanese regions for the re-release they used the NA script.

But also it's not just normal villagers. Blathers got shut up in New Leaf, Resetti wasn't allowed to chew you out, a lot of stuff just kind of read more flat in general or less lively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

From what I heard the Japanese version originally had polite villagers and the NA translation punched things up. Then when it got retranslated to Japanese regions for the re-release they used the NA script.

But also it's not just normal villagers. Blathers got shut up in New Leaf, Resetti wasn't allowed to chew you out, a lot of stuff just kind of read more flat in general or less lively.

yeah this is one of the things that subsequent games disappointed me with. the animals in the first game had a lot more personality. as good as new leaf was in many respects, i feel it was the game in which the animals had the least personality. i hope it's better in new horizons.

also i really, really miss being able to just directly ask them if they need any favors rather than having to repeatedly talk to them, hoping that by random chance they will give me something to do.