Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Liberals: actually, it's fewer

e: 7 is the most likely number to appear if you roll two fair 6 sided dice.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Bardeh posted:

The new Kent infection that's being reported today is near me, in Maidstone Studios - a big office building with people coming and going from all over the place because they also record TV shows there.

A lot of our IT dept. are coughing, and hand sanitiser has become mandatory.

Due to some work culture thing - e.g. food free for all on Fridays, if one person in IT has it, we probably all have it.

(I'm not at Maidstone studios)

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Lungboy posted:

Getting rid of tenants can take *forever* if they know their rights and you don't follow the correct procedure to the absolute letter, and even then it might take months. Also, if you need a mortgage then you'll have to get a BTL mortgage as you need vacant possession for a standard mortgage. It's a huge nightmare and I wouldn't recommend it.

My mortgage situation is sorted, so this is really about the morality of the whole thing than the pragmatics. I'm currently renting but I don't mind it taking months as long as my current place doesn't insist on a full year's contract and lets me roll with a couple of months notice before leaving.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Miftan posted:

My mortgage situation is sorted, so this is really about the morality of the whole thing than the pragmatics. I'm currently renting but I don't mind it taking months as long as my current place doesn't insist on a full year's contract and lets me roll with a couple of months notice before leaving.

IANAL, but isn't, "It's my house, and I'd like to live in it now" one of the easiest ways to get tenants out?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Angrymog posted:

IANAL, but isn't, "It's my house, and I'd like to live in it now" one of the easiest ways to get tenants out?

Pretty much. Two month's notice and that's it if done properly as far as I'm aware. The issue is that I don't want to be a massive loving rear end in a top hat and kick people out onto the street with 2 month's notice and even the thought of giving them a full year doesn't sit well with me because I am still kicking people out of their home. Yes, it could happen for lots of other reasons, especially if the place is for sale, but that doesn't mean I want to be the one doing it.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Trin Tragula posted:

I'm confused about why it's apparently ok and fine and dandy to be telling hi-larious jokes that can't possibly be told without chanting Trump's slogans, but never mind

that is the joke?

I mean if people don't like it, that's fine. If there's a story about it causing wider issues due to surging popularity and wider reach, exposing it to people who don't understand the context, or encouraging problematic attitudes and behaviour in leftist political circles then cool - tell that story. Don't just go to a drat chapo live show and quote lines at face value with feigned horror to create a news piece, it just sounds silly and desperate

The more important question is why Cum Town (assuming that's THE NAME THAT CANNOT BE PRINTED, come on nyt it's obviously latin) is apparently a leftist thing. I know they're podcast buddies and all but both times I listened to it they were just doing slurs over and over and giggling. I might be missing something here, but what is the thing I'm missing

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

baka kaba posted:

that is the joke?

I mean if people don't like it, that's fine. If there's a story about it causing wider issues due to surging popularity and wider reach, exposing it to people who don't understand the context, or encouraging problematic attitudes and behaviour in leftist political circles then cool - tell that story. Don't just go to a drat chapo live show and quote lines at face value with feigned horror to create a news piece, it just sounds silly and desperate

The more important question is why Cum Town (assuming that's THE NAME THAT CANNOT BE PRINTED, come on nyt it's obviously latin) is apparently a leftist thing. I know they're podcast buddies and all but both times I listened to it they were just doing slurs over and over and giggling. I might be missing something here, but what is the thing I'm missing

Actually Nick Mullen is the Chairman of the DSA.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/kathbarbadoro/status/1234309818539761665

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

I've been here for a while though??

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Miftan posted:

Pretty much. Two month's notice and that's it if done properly as far as I'm aware. The issue is that I don't want to be a massive loving rear end in a top hat and kick people out onto the street with 2 month's notice and even the thought of giving them a full year doesn't sit well with me because I am still kicking people out of their home. Yes, it could happen for lots of other reasons, especially if the place is for sale, but that doesn't mean I want to be the one doing it.
Merely by purchasing a property you are complicit in the events that kick people out onto the street.

But seriously, by buying and not being a dick about it you're at least preventing the alternative likelihood that someone who just wants to kick them out and get new tenants shoved in buying it.

baka kaba posted:

The more important question is why Cum Town (assuming that's THE NAME THAT CANNOT BE PRINTED, come on nyt it's obviously latin) is apparently a leftist thing.
Come Town My Lord

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

Angrymog posted:

I A NAL either but..
Nope, no it isn't. Not by a long shot. There are grounds to remove tenants to move back in (ground 1 I believe) but you have to serve notice before the start of the tenancy and if it goes to court you'll have to prove that you lived there and will actually be moving back in (and not selling or reletting or letting your cousin move in).

Basically there is no "easy" way to get tenants out legally. Even a guaranteed eviction can take up to 6 months. The reason most don't is because of ll harassment, threats of poor references, tenants not knowing their rights or just not being able to live with the stress.

(Many moons ago I worked in a lettings agency)

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
The real reason to despise Hillary is because she unabashedly and unashamedly used slave labour to clean her house and do her gardening like an antebellum plantation owner.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Miftan posted:

Pretty much. Two month's notice and that's it if done properly as far as I'm aware. The issue is that I don't want to be a massive loving rear end in a top hat and kick people out onto the street with 2 month's notice

Having had this happen to me twice in a row within 3 years when I lived in Abingdon, I appreciate it. :)

(I wonder sometimes how truthful landlords sometimes are when they claim they want to move back in...)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Guavanaut posted:

Come Town My Lord

I;m thinking about thos Towns

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Miftan posted:

I suppose you could buy it and just wait until they just naturally decided to leave and then move in. The average tenancy in the uk is 20 months so chances are they might not even be in there a year from you buying it. But it could be forever. I guess you could probably have a good guess how long they were likely to stay from the place/the area/who they appeared to be.

You would of course be a landlord that whole time though so...

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
As others have said, simply being the owner and wanting to live in the house is invalid in this case as you must have lived in it previously. You also have no idea what the current landlord has done in terms of gas safe certs, EPC form, deposit protection etc and could find any s21 or s8 to be invalid. There's also the chance that whoever is living there would need rehoming by the council, but they will only do that when the tenant is homeless, which means they will fight any attempt at eviction for as long as possible because they have to or the council won't touch them.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I know, :wall:

(Why isn't there a wall smilie?)

:thermidor:

This is a yank site, they've always been more influenced by the French when it comes to revolutions.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There's :devilchild: and :killdozer: too, but different walls.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Anyone going to Bristol Transformed at the weekend? I should make an effort this time round: I'm always thinking about how I should get more involved in politics and do volunteering and stuff and I never loving do, 'cos :effort:

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
whoever is in charge of the bbc one programme informing the public about the coronavirus needs to be fired

they have a health professional saying:
- it's still a matter of if the virus will spread in the uk (we already have documented cases of it spreading with no known origin)
- we need to keep perspective, the flu has killed more people so far (uh........................)
- avoid face masks they're needed by health professionals and need to be disposed of after use (correct, for once)
- don't worry about mail/packages, the virus just survives on hard surfaces for a few hours (umm.. we have no evidence of that, the paper on sars-equivalent viruses surviving on stainless steel at 4c were up to 28 days)

they're not being proactive at all and are still trying to react and contain it way too late to avoid panic

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
you know i have a weird feeling there may be some house openings real soon, miftan

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
I've been keeping fit, eating protein in order to boost my health to avoid the coming boomer plague, I can only pray for leniancy from god

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Becoming an accidental landlord chat:

Also don't forget that in most local authorities these days you will have to register to be a landlord and that could cost anything from £35 to £500 and from the very near future you could get done for cold houses or mouldy houses let alone all those certificates mentioned by Lungboy.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Beavertown & Camden Town breweries are union busters. Pass it on.

Oh, & blackballing is back

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

How reassuring to see people trying to profit during an epidemic.

And at least the kink industry is doing well.
:nws: for :butt:

Sadly, the same cannot be said for the proud, British Dogging community:
https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1234543541059231744

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ash Crimson posted:

leniancy from god
Calvinists 🤝 Atheists
"There's no such thing."

e: ^^^ lmao if you don't already have an NBC suit and gas mask.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

My limited understanding of the virus (and please correct me if I'm wrong) is that it is contagious for up to 2 weeks before any symptoms appear, and also for a period of time after the symptoms disappear. Younger people are often barely affected, just having a minor sniffle. Some people can show no symptoms themselves, but carry the virus and are able to spread it.

Unless you can keep the front door locked for a few months, I don't think there's any way of stopping this from becoming a 1918-like pandemic (statistically, we're overdue one). People can't afford to quarantine themselves, especially now that many people work hand-to-mouth on zero hour contracts. Add to that limited access to subsidised healthcare for those in China and the US amongst other places, this is unstoppable. As it was pointed out to me earlier today, the containment of this virus is limited to the weakest links in our chain, and capitalism has created many weak links.

I got repeatedly sneezed and coughed upon by a toddler the other day at the supermarket checkout, from above, as the mother swung the child from left to right at her hip. I was stuck in my wheelchair with a person behind, so I couldn't even back away from the splatterings if I wanted to. The checkout area was covered in the kid's mucus and saliva. He'd even splatted the chip and pin keypad. I don't blame the kid, as he was really ill. I don't blame the mother either, as she probably had nobody to care for the sick child whilst she shopped. That's the society we live in.

I rarely fall ill due to an over-active immune system, but I've had cold like symptoms for the past 3 days (luckily not typical coronavirus symptoms)... but it just goes to show how it's impossible to contain anything in our current society. That kid could have potentially infected 100+ customers after me as they used the bagging area.

Good luck, and stock up on food + essentials.

P.S. I quietly bowed out of the discord because my own mental health struggles was potentially affecting others in the channel. As soon as I'm re-balanced, I'll be back. Miss you guys.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pesky Splinter posted:

And at least the kink industry is doing well.
:nws: for :butt:

Nothing sells me on the efficacy of your giant rubber suit than having to wear a smaller sealed mask inside of it.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

fuctifino posted:

My limited understanding of the virus (and please correct me if I'm wrong) is that it is contagious for up to 2 weeks before any symptoms appear, and also for a period of time after the symptoms disappear. Younger people are often barely affected, just having a minor sniffle. Some people can show no symptoms themselves, but carry the virus and are able to spread it.

Unless you can keep the front door locked for a few months, I don't think there's any way of stopping this from becoming a 1918-like pandemic (statistically, we're overdue one). People can't afford to quarantine themselves, especially now that many people work hand-to-mouth on zero hour contracts. Add to that limited access to subsidised healthcare for those in China and the US amongst other places, this is unstoppable. As it was pointed out to me earlier today, the containment of this virus is limited to the weakest links in our chain, and capitalism has created many weak links.

I got repeatedly sneezed and coughed upon by a toddler the other day at the supermarket checkout, from above, as the mother swung the child from left to right at her hip. I was stuck in my wheelchair with a person behind, so I couldn't even back away from the splatterings if I wanted to. The checkout area was covered in the kid's mucus and saliva. He'd even splatted the chip and pin keypad. I don't blame the kid, as he was really ill. I don't blame the mother either, as she probably had nobody to care for the sick child whilst she shopped. That's the society we live in.

I rarely fall ill due to an over-active immune system, but I've had cold like symptoms for the past 3 days (luckily not typical coronavirus symptoms)... but it just goes to show how it's impossible to contain anything in our current society. That kid could have potentially infected 100+ customers after me as they used the bagging area.

Good luck, and stock up on food + essentials.

P.S. I quietly bowed out of the discord because my own mental health struggles was potentially affecting others in the channel. As soon as I'm re-balanced, I'll be back. Miss you guys.
yeah this is all correct which is why we need to reduce community<->community contact and get everyone as asocial as possible to slow down the spread. most people will end up infected it's about making sure the hospitals aren't overwhelmed

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Military thinktank pushing for a soft return to national service

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I dunno teaching kids how to self organize during crises sounds almost revolutionary :v:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Becoming an accidental landlord chat:

Also don't forget that in most local authorities these days you will have to register to be a landlord and that could cost anything from £35 to £500 and from the very near future you could get done for cold houses or mouldy houses let alone all those certificates mentioned by Lungboy.

Jeez. Really starting to feel for landlords.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://mobile.twitter.com/YouGov/status/1234529025827184640
Yeah, this is going to turn out great.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

whoever is in charge of the bbc one programme informing the public about the coronavirus needs to be fired

Shut down the loving BBC, they're not fit for purpose under a Tory government.

Ooh, I've actually just remembered I used to have an army surplus NBC suit that I used for paintballing. You know, the ones with the activated charcoal that gets bloody everywhere. Faaairly sure it won't fit me anymore though.

https://www.genuinearmysurplus.co.uk/store/British-Army-New-Genuine-Issue-DPM-NBC-Chemical-Suits-p81546312

Sold out, obviously. Also, maybe don't read the guardian if you want to sleep tonight.

quote:

Coronavirus: just eight out of 1,600 doctors in poll say NHS is ready

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/mar/02/coronavirus-just-eight-out-of-1600-doctors-in-poll-say-nhs-is-ready

E: Also a 12 year old NBC suit ain't gonna do poo poo, obviously. I think the effective lifetime once out of the vacuum pack was a couple of days.

RockyB fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 2, 2020

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
oh god i think stuart campbell is actually going to try to start a Wings Over Scotland political party wow

i found this out by hearing about his twitter account for it getting banned, so it's off to a good start

https://twitter.com/bellacaledonia/status/1234549691821543425

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Borrovan posted:

Beavertown & Camden Town breweries are union busters. Pass it on.

Oh, & blackballing is back

You got me reading about union busters online & I came across this hell article on a hell site: https://blog.unionproof.com/union-buster-stop-using/

"Union-buster is a divisive term, once meant to rally workers but now used to accuse employers who are often operating with the best interests of their employees in mind. It conjurers up images of strike-breaking and suggests that those who champion a union-free operating environment are “bad guys” who will do anything to keep employees down, including violence or other illegal activities. It implies a divide-and-conquer mindset, where union-free businesses and labor organizations are just out to destroy each other. But in a global economy, where companies seek out the best talent to help the business succeed, that kind of divisiveness has no place and will not help anyone succeed."

I want to die

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
My wife has just told me that one of her coworkers was at the hotel in Tenerife that got locked down last week. She was allowed to come back, and went into work yesterday. We have no idea if she was tested or not before she was allowed to come back, and she didn't tell anyone until afterwards...yikes

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Bardeh posted:

My wife has just told me that one of her coworkers was at the hotel in Tenerife that got locked down last week. She was allowed to come back, and went into work yesterday. We have no idea if she was tested or not before she was allowed to come back, and she didn't tell anyone until afterwards...yikes
um when was the confirmed case isolated from the other people in the hotel? with 2-14 days incubation she should be self-isolating to be safe. there's a reason the uk rightfully did another 14 day quarantine after people got back from that cruise

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

um when was the confirmed case isolated from the other people in the hotel? with 2-14 days incubation she should be self-isolating to be safe. there's a reason the uk rightfully did another 14 day quarantine after people got back from that cruise

Unfortunately we don't know any other details. Pretty pissed off that she's gone into work without telling anyone about it until after the fact though. You'd like to think that anyone returning from that hotel would have been tracked and tested, but I have no idea if that's the case or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

Pesky Splinter posted:

Because tangents are my thing! Fascinating Aida had a cute song about dogging. If you can handle a trio of saucy grannies...

https://youtu.be/MXzaVOk_Ydk