Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Klob out is good. She has no real national base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Roluth posted:

Ugh. Looks like Biden is the anointed candidate. Little hope now at Bernie winning, honestly.

Stop Complaining And Work Harder

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

King of Solomon posted:

Uh, no? What this means is that Bernie just won Minnesota. It's better that she dropped out today than if she waited until Wednesday.

I think it means she knew she was gonna lose Minnesota by a decently large margin

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Roluth posted:

Ugh. Looks like Biden is the anointed candidate. Little hope now at Bernie winning, honestly.

Stop it with the defeatism, seriously. Go volunteer.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

brugroffil posted:

Our choices in November may be two white dudes in an advanced stage of dementia lmao

A very apt metaphor for American politics in the 21st century imo

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

refresh my memory, what happens to early ballots cast for candidates that drop out before the actual primary happens

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

They’re trying to help as many people reach 15% in Texas and California as possible.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Warren drop out and endorse Bernie, do it you coward.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Tatsuta Age posted:

Stop Complaining And Work Harder

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
Klob dropping out now is a good sign, wtf are people doomsaying about, it means she was going to lose her home state to the Bern.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the bounce is because the moderates have probably found there candidate. now we will see if it matters. bernie can crush biden in debates and such.

It's more the narrative then any worry about poll numbers. Bernie was relying on a fractured moderate voter base to sneak in wins. With moderates dropping out so quickly, it speaks that Biden is now the candidate of choice for non-Bernie people, which frankly outnumber the opposite.

I'm just dismayed that the only thing Nevada actually did was bring people to Biden. If Nevada's results is all it takes to freak out half the Democratic voter base, then this kind of bounce was always going to be very big.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Popete posted:

She will endorse Biden. As will Obama.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

They’re trying to help as many people reach 15% in Texas and California as possible.

Yeah but now it's quite possible that Bernie gets a SC sized win in Minnesota

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
What generally causes candidates to drop out is lack of funding, when the only options are to suspend your campaign or lay off all your campaign workers (which would be a kiss of death in the news anyways). Butt and Klob almost certainly ran out of money.

Warren's still fundraising enough to stay in the race. From the Weigel's most recent Trailer:

quote:

Money watch
Two candidates in very different positions released their February fundraising totals Sunday: Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren.

Sanders raised $46.5 million, according to his campaign, pushing past the $42 million he raised in the same month four years ago. Warren raised $29 million, after what her campaign admitted was a sluggish start. One-tenth of it, according to campaign manager Roger Lau, came during Warren's dominating debate performance in Nevada.

Joe Biden said in Sunday interviews that his campaign raised close to $18 million in February. A large chunk of it came in the final few hours of the month: The campaign announced Sunday that it had raised $5 million since the South Carolina primary.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Cowcaster posted:

refresh my memory, what happens to early ballots cast for candidates that drop out before the actual primary happens

They count.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Cowcaster posted:

The ballots stand

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Klob's out according to WaPo alert.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Klobuchar is out.

https://twitter.com/USMCBRAT2/status/1234548853543665670

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Frakt0n posted:

I never post in this thread (or anywhere) but I want to thank everyone for the amazing work that goes into keeping everyone here informed and sane.

well, one outta two ain't bad

oxsnard posted:

They probably had internal results that she was gonna lose Minnesota

this makes sense to me and also klob still has at least a decade of solid senatoring in her so there's some overlap with Butt's presumed planning

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Lmao, Joe won a state, every centrist must now flee the race

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Remember that no poll had Buttigiege OR Sanders killing Biden in the Iowa and NH. Bernie had just pulled ahead of Biden in polling, and Buttigiege was nowhere close. Plus, think about how many hosed polls we've seen so far of 90% of participants being 60+.

Yeah that's one thing to be hopeful about--Rat put his resources into NH and Iowa and did well there. But didn't translate to anything else. Biden put everything into SC, a state that heavily favored him already and did very well there. But his earlier performances were very underwhelming. Sanders is the only one with a real solid base.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Roluth posted:

It's more the narrative then any worry about poll numbers. Bernie was relying on a fractured moderate voter base to sneak in wins. With moderates dropping out so quickly, it speaks that Biden is now the candidate of choice for non-Bernie people, which frankly outnumber the opposite.

he beats biden in head to heads still though. debates wont help biden either.

Carew
Jun 22, 2006

brugroffil posted:

Our choices in November may be two white dudes in an advanced stage of dementia lmao

Gotta be honest there's a small part of me that wants to see what thsoe debates will be like but I think if it actually manifests in reality I'll be way more bummed than amused.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Unlike Pete who was gonna win jackshit Amy was gonna win MN which will now go to Bernie.

Apocalypse
Feb 27, 2004

No Men Here. Only Monsters.

Popete posted:

LOL. As expected, Amy did the opposite and endorsed Biden. Seriously, how could you expect otherwise?

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Lol, they really did this about a week too late.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

LeeMajors posted:

She will endorse Biden. As will Obama.

Strongly doubt it, at least before the convention, on both counts. Warren would burn whatever bridges she has to reelection in Mass, and Obama isn't going to stake what remains of his legacy on anyone until he's sure they're gonna win.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
How are they gonna call "Bernie Bros" sexist and homophobic now that it's just down to him and Biden?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

InnercityGriot posted:

Why is Klob dropping out now? Would a last minute move like this even shift her voters to Biden? Doesn't this assure Bernie wins Minnesota? What am I missing here? This seems stupid.

She doesn't want to lose her home state.

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.
My wife and I are going together to vote Bernie in El Paso, Tx tomorrow.

I haven't gotten a feel for the general opinion here and the only sign I've seen is in front of a big mansion near my place.

It's a Bloomberg sign.
That makes me giggle.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Klobuchar will endorse Biden tonight. Warren has all but openly announced she's holding out until the convention so she's the choice when they take it away from Bernie.

Biden has no ground game in Super Tuesday, Klobb and Buttergreg are both out, Bloomberg will hold out through ST then likely endorse Biden.

It's now or never. Bernie HAS to win Super Tuesday by a decisive margin, or it's going to be Biden

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
so these centrist fucks can drop out and get behind their person, but the progressives can't

Apocalypse
Feb 27, 2004

Carew posted:

Gotta be honest there's a small part of me that wants to see what thsoe debates will be like but I think if it actually manifests in reality I'll be way more bummed than amused.

Yeah, I could see that. I could imagine myself trying to mine comedy value from a Biden/Trump debate, but that being overcome with crippling sadness that our country has come to this...

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Unlike Pete who was gonna win jackshit Amy was gonna win MN which will now go to Bernie.

What? I didn't see a single poll out of MN that had Amy beating Bernie.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Roluth posted:

He was not, Bernie will win in a 1v1 election. The only reason we were hoping for wins through non-viable opposition was because splitting the vote 5 ways makes it nearly impossible to get the majority to win the convention in the first round of voting. Bernie is getting almost as many 2nd choice voters from these dropouts as Biden is, and will get more once Warren drops out.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Roluth posted:

Super Tuesday is tomorrow. The narrative coming out of it will be, "Bernie is clearly the frontrunner again." The media may hate him, but guess what? That's gonna be the big story.

And there are considerably fewer Never-Bernie people out there than Bernie people; the non-Bernies just need to be convinced that he's the better choice to beat Trump. Bernie will make that case in the coming weeks.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Warren staying in makes her look extremely bad.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Nebalebadingdong posted:

so these centrist fucks can drop out and get behind their person, but the progressives can't

Because Warren isn't a progressive, clearly.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Why are people so convinced Sanders can't win while simultaneously saying he is the only one who can win

Christ. The man needs to win a national election and you treat him like he can't win unless someone splits the vote.

Believe in your drat candidate instead of giving up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apocalypse
Feb 27, 2004

C2C - 2.0 posted:

What? I didn't see a single poll out of MN that had Amy beating Bernie.

I saw polls with her winning by 6 points. This might be a good thing at least for that one state.