Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dingwick
May 3, 2007

This is always the highlight of my day.
Got myself a refurbished Aeron chair and headrest. I'm a professional loafer now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Bought tickets to the Detroit Movement Fest to see Underworld with my best friend.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

LifeSunDeath posted:

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.
Problem I have is that an awful lot of the best quotes from half the characters include a certain racial epithet that means you can't ever speak them in public.
Which is a shame, cause they are really powerful quotes.

TraderStav posted:

This has been on my wall for years. It's about time for my fifth rewatch of this.

Magic Underwear posted:

Wow that's spooky, I just finished re-watching this for the first time in years. Incredible show. 4>1>2>3>5 btw.
It's really hard not to binge the entire show because it's so good.
And there is so little that comes even close to it.
I almost want to encase the discs in separate blocks of concrete, so I ration them.

Mu Zeta posted:

Agreed. Hamsterdam is stupid and the serial killer stuff is stupid.
Yeah, they get less plausible the more you watch them. But it's still good.
The whole Hamsterdam plotline is worth enduring, just for being able to enjoy Carver's character development at that time.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

The show is amazing for sure, but I watched the first 2 seasons then hit a wall with the third. Took me a few years to go back and finish watching it, but I'm really glad I did because Snoop turns out to be one of the absolute best characters. That accent is so amazing, it's like a combination of atlanta, philly and some kind of weird colonial english. And the actor IRL did a bunch of crime, so it's not even really acting.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Shut up Meg posted:

Problem I have is that an awful lot of the best quotes from half the characters include a certain racial epithet that means you can't ever speak them in public.
Which is a shame, cause they are really powerful quotes.

It's really hard not to binge the entire show because it's so good.
And there is so little that comes even close to it.
I almost want to encase the discs in separate blocks of concrete, so I ration them.

Yeah, they get less plausible the more you watch them. But it's still good.
The whole Hamsterdam plotline is worth enduring, just for being able to enjoy Carver's character development at that time.

The final scene with Carver and Randy is just heart breaking.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My buddy is gonna be a dad in June and I got a neat new job that takes effect this summer so I got us both some first class tickets for a random week of drunken bullshittery in Denver, CO.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Rolo posted:

My buddy is gonna be a dad in June and I got a neat new job that takes effect this summer so I got us both some first class tickets for a random week of drunken bullshittery in Denver, CO.

WEED IT UP DUDE!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Your avatar rules, btw.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dingwick posted:

Got myself a refurbished Aeron chair and headrest. I'm a professional loafer now.
How much? This is my dream setup at home but it seems like a $600+ investment.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

How much? This is my dream setup at home but it seems like a $600+ investment.

You can sometimes get them off craigslist from a company that just went bust for ~$200 if you're quick. Otherwise yes, you're looking at about that. I got mine ~8 years ago now and still wish I had gotten it sooner.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
If you happen to have a Design Within Reach outlet store nearby, they may have scratched Aerons for $300-400. I’ve seen lots at least.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

They do seem to last forever - I bought mine in 2001 and it looks basically brand new.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

There's a computer chair tread if anyone cares. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383243

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe

This is the year I learn chess, with these things staring at me on my desk every day shaming me into using them daily.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
A fire extuingisher. After the kids set fire to the inside of a drawer and almost burned the house down.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

His Divine Shadow posted:

A fire extuingisher. After the kids set fire to the inside of a drawer and almost burned the house down.

Would've made more sense to buy a fire extinguisher before something got set on fire but :shrug:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Yeah well lots of things that make sense aren't done by people until they've had a scare. In this case I was able to just pour water on it, only thing damaged was a piece of furniture we where going to throw away anyway.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I got a new camera, something that doesn't require a tripod to use.

Not pictured, a 45mm lens, an extra back and a waist level finder. Got it for a bargain but I want to kit it out with a different finder, hand crank instead of the auto advance grip and a cable release socket.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Yeah well lots of things that make sense aren't done by people until they've had a scare. In this case I was able to just pour water on it, only thing damaged was a piece of furniture we where going to throw away anyway.

Yeah, I'm a dumbass sometimes - this was me with carbon monoxide detectors.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

The makerspace I volunteer at got a Form 3, and since I got a new job and am tired of loving with my 3D printer, I sold it to get a setup:

Black resin

Tray

It's like $300 to get started just with materials, but it's easier to account for pricing since just the tray goes bad (desktop ones have film and a consumable screen), the materials are pricey, but you waste a lot less.

And most importantly, I'm going to get my poo poo out of the printer without going bananas about supports, scraping my screen, and fumes.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Tell me about it:

I thought I had plenty of first aid stuff, but when it went wrong, cue my hurling packets of cough pills and bunion plasters all over the house as I dripped blood, searching for a bandage.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Yeah well lots of things that make sense aren't done by people until they've had a scare.

Reminds me of the time I saw a guy buying a plunger and nothing else.

Godspeed, toilet destroyer.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

RoastBeef posted:

They do seem to last forever - I bought mine in 2001 and it looks basically brand new.

Overall yes, but I’ve had Aerons at home and at the office, and while I absolutely love them, I’ve had bad luck with the tilt mechanism wearing out. So, I bought a Maxnomic chair to replace my one at home and it’s absolutely phenomenal. Plus, it tilts fully 90* back— you could easily sleep in that thing with a footrest.

Shut up Meg posted:

Tell me about it:

Make sure to supplement that with stuff like decent shear scissors and quick clot gauze and liquid bandage—all of that stuff is absolutely great to have on hand

Catatron Prime has a new favorite as of 15:27 on Mar 2, 2020

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I'm so fat I break Aeron's over time. Fatty McFatfat over here.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Coredump posted:

I spend a lot of time in my desk chair. An unreasonable, unhealthy amount of time. I bought an Embody chair (one up in the line from an Aeron) and sat in it daily until I wore it out 6 years later. The seat base and back was made out of little branching plastic fingers and eventually the plastic had enough wear from deformation that they didn't support me anymore. But 6 years out of a $1400 chair that helped with my back issues et al is a bargain. I've got through a series of cheaper, less comfortable chairs since then and will probably get another H-M chair the next one.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

The Prong Song posted:

I spend a lot of time in my desk chair. An unreasonable, unhealthy amount of time. I bought an Embody chair (one up in the line from an Aeron) and sat in it daily until I wore it out 6 years later. The seat base and back was made out of little branching plastic fingers and eventually the plastic had enough wear from deformation that they didn't support me anymore. But 6 years out of a $1400 chair that helped with my back issues et al is a bargain. I've got through a series of cheaper, less comfortable chairs since then and will probably get another H-M chair the next one.

Yeah I'm considering getting another Aeron for home off FB marketplace as the lovely cheap office chair I use now is doing me no favors to my spine.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Megabound posted:

I got a new camera, something that doesn't require a tripod to use.

Not pictured, a 45mm lens, an extra back and a waist level finder. Got it for a bargain but I want to kit it out with a different finder, hand crank instead of the auto advance grip and a cable release socket.

:3: very nice. What do you do photography wise? Professional? Consumer formerly with far too much money on their hands?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Pastry of the Year posted:

Yeah, I'm a dumbass sometimes - this was me with carbon monoxide detectors.

My dad has been to my new house about a half dozen times, and always asks where my CO detector is since he can't see it (and was about a minutes from running out to Ace to get me one each time.)

I think he's finally caught on that I don't need one, since my heat, hot water, and stove are all electric.

(To his credit, he was a volunteer fire chief for 20 years, so it's second nature for him to look for smoke and CO detectors, as well as fire extinguishers and good secondary exits.)

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

DrBouvenstein posted:

My dad has been to my new house about a half dozen times, and always asks where my CO detector is since he can't see it (and was about a minutes from running out to Ace to get me one each time.)

I think he's finally caught on that I don't need one, since my heat, hot water, and stove are all electric.

(To his credit, he was a volunteer fire chief for 20 years, so it's second nature for him to look for smoke and CO detectors, as well as fire extinguishers and good secondary exits.)

When I bought my house it took me a few months to realize there wasn't a single smoke detector in it. There was a mounting bracket for one in the hall that I assume the previous owner took with him.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

H110Hawk posted:

:3: very nice. What do you do photography wise? Professional? Consumer formerly with far too much money on their hands?

Hobbyist and travel. I go out on weekends and shoot for fun. Mostly landscapes and urbex. The 645 is going to be my travel camera because my main camera is a bellows and my wife would kill me if I was setting up for 15 minutes for each shot.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Megabound posted:

my wife would kill me if I was setting up for 15 minutes for each shot.

And here I am asking to take 15-25 seconds to compose a shot and mine gets frustrated.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Got an insta? I love urbex photography since I’m a chickenshit who doesn’t risk it anymore.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Coredump posted:

Meh, or I’ve had a bad strong of luck. Used office chairs, Craigslist gen 1 aeron, etc probably isn’t the best sample set.

Catatron Prime has a new favorite as of 01:41 on Jun 18, 2020

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Megabound posted:

Hobbyist and travel. I go out on weekends and shoot for fun. Mostly landscapes and urbex. The 645 is going to be my travel camera because my main camera is a bellows and my wife would kill me if I was setting up for 15 minutes for each shot.

Film back I assume? What's the whole setup? I saw you say "extra back" but inquiring minds.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Medium and large format cameras have interchangeable backs so you can preload more film since it can be an involved process you don’t want to do in the field.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Medium and large format cameras have interchangeable backs so you can preload more film since it can be an involved process you don’t want to do in the field.

Yeah I want to know which back(s) he bought! There are also comically expensive $25k digital backs. I presume given his propensity towards bellows it's film but we also have Bape Culture in this thread.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Solice Kirsk posted:

Bought tickets to the Detroit Movement Fest to see Underworld with my best friend.

How much are tickets now? I stopped going because ticket prices kept getting more expensive while the overall lineup went downhill. It stopped being a showcase for Detroit techno, and mostly became just another electronic music festival.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

$100 for one day. Normally I'd never pay that, but I've never seen Underworld and they're never playing near me. I don't know anyone else at all on the lineup.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Man, I remember going to it like 15 years ago and it was like $20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

They paid me $200 to play there 15 years ago!