Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

If Squeenix can manage to turn the FF7 story into something that feels like an epic with chapters, rather than a series of episodes, I think it'll be worth the full price in the end. Like I didn't feel ripped off by Mass Effect 1, even though it was obviously the first part in a trilogy. I haven't played FF7 since I was a child so idk how feasible that is, but if they're taking this much license to add and remix content then I could see each chapter feeling satisfying enough for that to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Thinking of it like Mass Effect is spot on, considering ME is also one of the few series that keeps your level and powers the same between (two of) its games, which FF7R presumably will as well. I don't see them punting you back to level 1 for part 2 or 3.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

acksplode posted:

If Squeenix can manage to turn the FF7 story into something that feels like an epic with chapters, rather than a series of episodes, I think it'll be worth the full price in the end. Like I didn't feel ripped off by Mass Effect 1, even though it was obviously the first part in a trilogy. I haven't played FF7 since I was a child so idk how feasible that is, but if they're taking this much license to add and remix content then I could see each chapter feeling satisfying enough for that to work.

Kinda disingenuous because it's not like Mass Effect was just an 80 hour PS1 game that they chopped up later

Like you're not exactly playing FFVIIR to see what happens next, you know? You know pretty much how the story will go

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

My main wonder was regarding areas and locations, and if we'd need to swap discs/episodes at certain points when going back to somewhere? Then again I can't remember if many locations were revisited in FF7 to begin with and the world map was more of a novelty? The prospect of those Weapon fights in FF7R is really exciting, though. I remember the one that attacks Midgar being really impressive and I think there was one you had to hunt underwater in the world map?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

Like you're not exactly playing FFVIIR to see what happens next, you know? You know pretty much how the story will go

I'm going to guess that this game with a multi-million dollar budget is being funded under the pretense that it will sell to more than just people who played the original and remember every story beat. I played the original and have forgotten about 97% of the story, and there are gamers who aren't in their thirties and likely haven't played the original at all. And even if you have memorized the original, judging from early impressions, there is a lot of new content to surprise you with.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

https://twitter.com/tonytula/status/1234223302769598475?s=21

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

acksplode posted:

I'm going to guess that this game with a multi-million dollar budget is being funded under the pretense that it will sell to more than just people who played the original and remember every story beat. I played the original and have forgotten about 97% of the story, and there are gamers who aren't in their thirties and likely haven't played the original at all. And even if you have memorized the original, judging from early impressions, there is a lot of new content to surprise you with.

I'm a huge fan of FF7 and I'm loving seeing all the changes they've made just from the demo alone. The trailers look like they've added a ton of new stuff to flesh out the city so there's definitely that "what's different now?" factor going on.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

How does backup and restore work on PS4? I want to backup the 1tb hdd and restore it to 1tb SSD. I have a spare 500gb external and the application data on the PS4 is under 500gb. Can I backup to the 500gb drive or does it have to be 1tb. This guide seems really confusing: https://support.playstation.com/s/article/Back-Up-and-Restore-PS4-HDD?language=en_US as it's asking you to have double the size storage. I don't have an external 2tb drive laying around.

I'm mainly trying to save PT for the 3rd time.

edit: nm..i found an extra 1tb passport

Housh fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 2, 2020

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Wolfsheim posted:

Kinda disingenuous because it's not like Mass Effect was just an 80 hour PS1 game that they chopped up later

this isnt an 80 hour ps1 game thats been chopped up, they went back to a first draft of the story and re-wrote it.
there are leaks which show a significantly different story which happens to follow the same thematic beats. it's not the same story 1:1, they kept the iconic moments and wrote around them.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I mean, only time will tell if it's going to feel like each episode is worth it as a full game. But it's not a chance I'm really interested in taking. If it comes out and everyone is feeling like it was the best :60bux: they ever spent sure I'll probably go grab it, but I feel like letting everyone else be the guinea pig on this one.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
lol ff7r demo is... not good. the graphics are pretty but i did wonder how they were gonna string out midgar to be a full game and now i know, just stretched out each area with bullshit gimmicks and longer duller paths and enemies that take half an hour each to kill. everything just takes forever to kill. i was on normal, are they quicker on easy?

and all the little nods and wink winks to the big twists they added are really weird. its like a fan wank writing. the addition of what happens with the reactor just seems silly as hell but i got not context other than that leak.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The enemies don't take long to kill on Normal if you play the game right

I'm not saying git gud but like, I've seen a bunch of people rush to make this complaint when it's like... woah maybe you have to engage with systems now instead of just spamming attack :monocle:

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I’ll give it a shot but I like my Final Fantasy like I like my I dunno... something turn based.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

precision posted:

The enemies don't take long to kill on Normal if you play the game right

I'm not saying git gud but like, I've seen a bunch of people rush to make this complaint when it's like... woah maybe you have to engage with systems now instead of just spamming attack :monocle:

what. you dont have many systems to work with, you have 2 attacks, 2 spells and one big ability and a rare limit break. using any combo of them takes forever and half the time they are grayed out because now its two atb bars. dont even get me started on those jumping dudes.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Vikar Jerome posted:

lol ff7r demo is... not good. the graphics are pretty but i did wonder how they were gonna string out midgar to be a full game and now i know, just stretched out each area with bullshit gimmicks and longer duller paths and enemies that take half an hour each to kill. everything just takes forever to kill. i was on normal, are they quicker on easy?

and all the little nods and wink winks to the big twists they added are really weird. its like a fan wank writing. the addition of what happens with the reactor just seems silly as hell but i got not context other than that leak.

Nothing takes more than a few seconds to kill on Normal other than the boss and the obvious tough stagger tutorial enemy

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I felt like I was constantly able to access magic and nothing took much effort or time.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

the hell are you guys playing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Vikar Jerome posted:

what. you dont have many systems to work with, you have 2 attacks, 2 spells and one big ability and a rare limit break. using any combo of them takes forever and half the time they are grayed out because now its two atb bars. dont even get me started on those jumping dudes.

Well, like, there's one enemy that you can block and counter and almost fill their stagger bar. If you don't they take a minute and are a pain.

Turrets you need to switch to Barret and have him Overcharge to get a bar which will usually kill one then have him Bolt another

Etc. Those systems. Not trying to just spam attack.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Going to need a new game after finishing BB tonight.

What to do what to do

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

bows1 posted:

Going to need a new game after finishing BB tonight.

What to do what to do

What vibe are you looking for?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Does it have the same music that the original FF7 demo disc had in the little lobby screen you get dropped in before starting? I haven’t heard that music over 20 years and I think I will officially start feeling old if I hear it.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

veni veni veni posted:

What vibe are you looking for?

Adventure - not too difficult, and something that will grab me immediately.

absolutely no anime BS :)

bows1 fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 3, 2020

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'm still really enjoying Kakarot even though it's really simple. you don't even really need to interact with the environment because you fly everywhere. The combat is never very difficult but it looks awesome and you can experience DBZs batshit insane story at a relatively brisk pace.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

bows1 posted:

you say no anime BS yet You Played Bloodborne 🤔

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

bows1 posted:

Binge the entire Yakuza series, starting with 0.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
DBZ has hardly any of the things that I think of when I think of "anime bs".

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Vikar Jerome posted:

I also found a lot to dislike (or at the very least, scrunch my nose and tilt my head at) but I'm just a jaded old man now. I started coming around at the mini-boss fight but then it just started feeling janky at every turn. Might retry with the "classic" battle mode to see if it makes it feel any better. New style felt good for standard encounters.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

bows1 posted:

Nothing will quite compare to Bloodborne sadly, but pretty much anything Naughty Dog would qualify. Especially Uncharted 4 if you haven't played it yet.

Other random picks that are good games: NieR: Automata oops anime BS, Last of Us, God of War 2018, or even Shadow of the Colossus (free with PS+, soon).

f#a# fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 3, 2020

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

f#a# posted:

NieR: Automata

bows1 posted:

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
i don't care I will recommend that game to EVERYONE

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

The only thing that worries me about an episodic take is how going back places works if they're separate games. Like midgar makes sense, you never went back there outside towards the end and in a specifically curated area. And a lot of the cities you go to have no in game reasons to return to, but some you do. If you're to split 2 more games out of the remainder of the game, you'd at very least be going back to Junon, cosmo canyon, gold saucer, disc 1 forest area for weapon hunting, whatever tf they end up doing with the Lil strategy fort condor minigame, etc.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You don't need to worry because at the rate Square Enix develop and release games, they'll have remade the remake for PS5 before the second disk is out

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

f#a# posted:

i don't care I will recommend that game to EVERYONE

As long as they play it til the end!

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Dewgy posted:

Binge the entire Yakuza series, starting with 0.
I played about 15 hours of 0 and wasn't really a fan unfortunately.

f#a# posted:

Nothing will quite compare to Bloodborne sadly, but pretty much anything Naughty Dog would qualify. Especially Uncharted 4 if you haven't played it yet.

Other random picks that are good games: NieR: Automata oops anime BS, Last of Us, God of War 2018, or even Shadow of the Colossus (free with PS+, soon).

I've done all of these games (including Nier only route A 8)).

I guess Im looking for something similar to a Uncharted-style game that I may not have heard of. I've played basically all the AAA games after I got a ps4 4 years ago...

Maybe Hellblade would fit? I haven't played that yet

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Hellblade's drat good and only a couple of hours long.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Oh lord I remember my first anime DVD purchases in the year 2000. We're talking Vampire Hunter D, we're talking Cowboy Bebop, oh yes Trigun. There's an anime for everybody. Look in your heart.

And like people are saying, take Shadow of the Colossus mentioned for example, we can find plenty of anime with a tone and style like that. And of course Bloodbourne as mentioned, we've got Berserk, VHD and whatnot to compare to. It'd be like saying "I want an adventure - no cinematic BS like seen in a film"... it's just head exploding, yes like in Fist of the North Star.

I stand for anime, and yes I will vote accordingly tomorrow on super anime Tuesday.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The more I think about it the more I realize that what I consider "anime bullshit" has centralized around exactly one thing: the high school metaphor. As long as something doesn't have that, it is not ABS as far as I'm concerned and I'll play it without reservation.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Dewgy posted:

Hellblade's drat good and only a couple of hours long.

That may be the move!

Also where did we come down on A Plague Tale? Worth the cash?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Absolutely play Hellblade, and play it in the dark with headphones.

A Plague Tale is decent, maybe if it's on sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Where is this slow fights thing coming from? I don't think a single fight lasted longer than 10 seconds for me except bosses. The Scorpion took maybe 5 minute? I set the timer for 20 and escaped with 15 minutes left after killing every enemy and accidentally backtracking once because I am a doofus.