Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Best WiiU games are obscure ones that can't be replicated easily on other systems. Starfox Guard for instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Stan Taylor posted:

I really liked the Wii U. It had a lot of that Dreamcast or gamecube spirit to it. It’s just fun!

I thought much the same of it :allears:.

Couple of titles to recommend for it if you want to go down the WiiU collecting rabbit hole that either don't have Switch versions (yet, or probably won't);

• Star Fox Zero (with Guard)
  • Project Zero/Fatal Frame 5: Maiden of Black Water
  • Paper Mario: Colour Splash
  • Rodea the Sky Soldier (literally all the copies have the superior "launch run only" Wii version if you can find it new in a bargain bin somewhere)
  • Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed (for five-player multiplayer)
  • Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD
  • Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD
  • Kirby and the Rainbow Paintbrush (Haven't played it, but I understand it's supposed to be good?)
  • Xenoblade Chronicles X (main story suuuucks, but the 150-odd hours of side-content are fantastic)
  • Yoshi's Woolly World

The eShop's also got a pretty decent range of games from old consoles, including DS titles, and literally every home-console Legend of Zelda game ever made.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

ItBreathes posted:

I imagine when gamestop finally goes belly up I'll pick up a couple since the gamepad makes them far more fragile than other consoles. Speaking of which, does anyone know a good source for replacement gamepad batteries? Nintendo doesn't sell them anymore and I'm not inclined to go buying random China batteries off Amazon without someone vouching for them first.

Not sure about aftermarket batteries, but I will point out that the Gamepad can be used while connected to an AC adapter in a pinch. There are a few logistical problems with this, however:

- The battery completes the circuit to power the Gamepad, so you can't just remove the battery and plug in the adapter. So even if the battery no longer holds a charge you still need it to bridge that connection.

- You'll be tethered to the AC adapter, which matters for a few games that require you to move around in a 360 degree space, so look out for that.

I'm hoping that either some good aftermarket batteries become/are available, or somebody finds a solution to the circuit problem that gets around having to keep a battery that'll probably eventually leak or whatever years down the road. Until then, I still have the original battery and one of those expanded capacity batteries Nintendo sold on their online store years ago, so I have some time before somebody finds a solution. Or nobody cares enough about the platform to find a solution, that's a possibility as well.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The eShop's also got a pretty decent range of games from old consoles, including DS titles, and literally every home-console Legend of Zelda game ever made.

Even the janky CDI release?

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I wish.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Releases. Pluralize that horror.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

sponges posted:

I had my eye on Paper Mario Color Splash but evidently it’s a huge pile of poo poo

It's good and has really cool graphics

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
every paper mario after ttyd has been progressively worse and it's an incredible bummer they've never made a game again in the style of the first two

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Mercury Crusader posted:

I'm hoping that either some good aftermarket batteries become/are available, or somebody finds a solution to the circuit problem that gets around having to keep a battery that'll probably eventually leak or whatever years down the road. Until then, I still have the original battery and one of those expanded capacity batteries Nintendo sold on their online store years ago, so I have some time before somebody finds a solution. Or nobody cares enough about the platform to find a solution, that's a possibility as well.

There are RGB mods for the 3DO. Someone, someday will eventually come up with a solution.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/video-games/nintendo/nintendo-play-station-super-nes-cd-rom-prototype-sony-and-nintendo-c-1992/a/7224-93060.s

It's officially up for auction.

The guy who owns it told me he turned down $300,000 so I am gonna take a rough guess here and say it ends up going for 700k or so. I wouldn't be surprised if it hits a million.
Was curious so checked in on this, Nintendo PlayStation currently at $280k with 3 days left on the internet portion of the auction.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

That's slowed down a lot, wonder if whoever was bidding Palmer Luckey up just got bored and he's actually the only one who really wants it.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

falz posted:

Was curious so checked in on this, Nintendo PlayStation currently at $280k with 3 days left on the internet portion of the auction.

Remember to post when it ends in three days!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

flatluigi posted:

every paper mario after ttyd has been progressively worse and it's an incredible bummer they've never made a game again in the style of the first two

I gotta be honest, I played Paper Mario 64 for the first time in like 2013 (Sticker Star was my first Paper Mario game and I played like 15 minutes of Super Paper Mario before that) and it was pretty drat boring. I finished it, because it is thankfully very brief (I'm trudging through the last dungeon of Dream Team with 99 hours goddamn), but all I've heard from people is that TTYD is just Paper Mario 64 but even longer which sounds the opposite of fun for me. It is a cute, funny game but the pacing was frustratingly slow and it stretches its content thin.

I understand after playing the original why Sticker Star gets so much poo poo but my ideal Paper Mario would be dropping the turn based combat because it's really basic and bland, and instead focus on the clever puzzles and cute dialog.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

You might want to try Super Paper Mario.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

GutBomb posted:

There are RGB mods for the 3DO. Someone, someday will eventually come up with a solution.

You'd just need something that regulates the power down to the battery's output, would you not?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

al-azad posted:

I gotta be honest, I played Paper Mario 64 for the first time in like 2013 (Sticker Star was my first Paper Mario game and I played like 15 minutes of Super Paper Mario before that) and it was pretty drat boring. I finished it, because it is thankfully very brief (I'm trudging through the last dungeon of Dream Team with 99 hours goddamn), but all I've heard from people is that TTYD is just Paper Mario 64 but even longer which sounds the opposite of fun for me. It is a cute, funny game but the pacing was frustratingly slow and it stretches its content thin.

I understand after playing the original why Sticker Star gets so much poo poo but my ideal Paper Mario would be dropping the turn based combat because it's really basic and bland, and instead focus on the clever puzzles and cute dialog.

save ttyd for last because you're going to hate all the other games once you've gone through it

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I thought both the Paper Mario games that that fanbase holds up suck... but also still think Sticker Star is the worst.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
the first two paper marios are good games but also extremely overhyped by an extremely brokebrain fanbase

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Paper Mario 64 is meh, but Thousand Year Door is a legit great game and a worthy successor to SMRPG

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

absolutely anything posted:

the first two paper marios are good games but also extremely overhyped by an extremely brokebrain fanbase

no need to be an rear end in a top hat, dude

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Nintendo is a cult. They're brokebrained as gently caress.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

flatluigi posted:

no need to be an rear end in a top hat, dude

years of reading posts from lunatics demanding miyamoto's head over the direction of the series since sticker star have forced this attitude upon me

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Sticker Star was good, fight me.

sponges posted:

I should probably get a Wii U in case they go up in price. It’s the only Nintendo console I’ve never owned.

I keep thinking about this and if it makes sense for the Wii U to ever eventually go up in considerable value. It doesn't really make sense to me considering the best games are ported to the Switch... but on the other hand despite it's poor sales it was an awesome console and the separate game pad with the screen was awesome and unique. They also didn't make nearly as many Wii U's as other Nintendo consoles. Even though I think it's the worst Xenoblade game, X will almost certainly go up in value if it gets stuck on the console and I'm pretty sure I saw official comments they didn't have plans to port it. Just like the Wii, there's probably going to be a ton of eshop only games that get left behind. ( How did the "My life as" Final Fantasy spinoffs never get ported from the Wii? )

Nintendoland was excellent and can't be ported. I really enjoyed Zombi U and don't think it would be the same without the tablet, there's probably a lot of games you could say the same thing for even if they were ported.

Also I guess maybe not too surprising, but it looks like there's still indie games getting released on the Wii U eshop.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Mar 3, 2020

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Color Splash is fun. Sticker Star isn't that bad either it just explicitly breaks nerds' JRPG-hoarding-every-item brain.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I liked sticker star but too frequently it halts progression by explicitly requiring a sticker to progress. The environment, the scripted sequences, the music all fantastic. But drat it would have been nice if bowser got some lines or something.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I just want a proper Paper Mario RPG again...

The closest I got was Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam. :negative:

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Thousand Year Door owned, you fools

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have a digital microscope for peeping circuits up close but I decided to turn it on some retro games, revealing some interesting Benday Dots where I didnt expect them and some very fine detail that you wouldnt see today

Gameboy color screen at 250x, revealing the individual red, green and blue pixels

Benday Dots (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Day_process) in an N64 Logo

Same thing in a Super Famicom logo

Nintendo Sool oi Quality

Extremely small (R) stamp on the back of Vegas Stakes, nearly invisible to the naked eye due to its shallowness

SNES Vegas Stakes showing some color bleed

SNES Mouse logo lookin straight out of an old comic book

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Mar 3, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Are we gonna be using microscopes to detect counterfeits because I can't believe a counterfeit mold would pick up on that tiny R

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

al-azad posted:

Are we gonna be using microscopes to detect counterfeits because I can't believe a counterfeit mold would pick up on that tiny R

It for sure wouldnt, and that probably is a valid way to test back cases for bootlegging

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I have a digital microscope for peeping circuits up close but I decided to turn it on some retro games, revealing some interesting Benday Dots where I didnt expect them and some very fine detail that you wouldnt see today

Gameboy color screen at 250x, revealing the individual red, green and blue pixels

Benday Dots (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Day_process) in an N64 Logo

Same thing in a Super Famicom logo

Nintendo Sool oi Quality

Extremely small (R) stamp on the back of Vegas Stakes, nearly invisible to the naked eye due to its shallowness

SNES Vegas Stakes showing some color bleed

SNES Mouse logo lookin straight out of an old comic book

These are really cool. Would love some more.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It for sure wouldnt, and that probably is a valid way to test back cases for bootlegging

but that also doesn't really tell you much about the PCB, and it's entirely plausible that someone would stick a legit PCB in a repro shell because the original cart shell got somehow hosed.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well right it would only be for identifying shells

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I beat Super Smash TV for Genesis last night and it was pretty satisfying. It's one of those games that seemed impossible to me as a kid. In hindsight, it was difficult but maybe not as hard as I remember. Although I was playing the SNES version as a kid which may be more difficult. Definitely some extra difficulty with the Genesis version using a 3 button controller though.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

katkillad2 posted:

I beat Super Smash TV for Genesis last night and it was pretty satisfying. It's one of those games that seemed impossible to me as a kid. In hindsight, it was difficult but maybe not as hard as I remember. Although I was playing the SNES version as a kid which may be more difficult. Definitely some extra difficulty with the Genesis version using a 3 button controller though.

Any differences from the SNES one? I only played arcade and SNES and always thought the 3 button situation would make the Genesis one suck. Also, the SNES button layout was PERFECT as a twin stick replacement (well as perfect as buttons can be). I sort of wish Xeno Crisis was on the SNES for that reason.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

XtraSmiley posted:

Any differences from the SNES one? I only played arcade and SNES and always thought the 3 button situation would make the Genesis one suck. Also, the SNES button layout was PERFECT as a twin stick replacement (well as perfect as buttons can be). I sort of wish Xeno Crisis was on the SNES for that reason.

If a Genesis game supports the 6-button controller, you could theoretically do an arrow-key design for firing directions and have a top-left and top-right button for other things. :shrug: It would definitely suck with a 3-button, though.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
The Genesis version you use two controllers for each stick unless you have a friend you're playing with.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Karasu Tengu posted:

The Genesis version you use two controllers for each stick unless you have a friend you're playing with.

Lmao is that true? That must look ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parachute
May 18, 2003
that sounds awesome. like bizarro wampa stompa