Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Monster materials sell for a lot of money, and at some point you'll be swimming in nekker parts or w/e (and there'll be no need to carry any more chunks of metal).

Edit: In W2 there's a section with infinitely spawning harpys. You can get rich just on their feathers.

itry fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Has it ever been stated if Priscilla is an homage or adapted from Essi Daven? Having just re-read that short story, she seems an awful lot like her in appearance with a similar affection from Dandelion.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
Should you do Hearts of Stone before or after finishing the vanilla main quest?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

NotNut posted:

I did it after and it's fine there. Probably better from a story perspective to do it after too. I think my main problem with it (and most contracts tbh) is that story-wise there's really no good time to just do them. No designated (or a few of them per act) phrases where the game tells you that you can pause. For example, once you locate Ciri, a note saying that she's totally safe there for now but won't be once you arrive would give you a little narrative freedom to sidequest. I don't have a great place for afterwards, but it feels like once you go to Bald Mountain it narratively pushes you towards wrapping up the main quest ASAP

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

NotNut posted:

After

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Doesn't G'OD dangle helping you find ciri/telling you about how things will end as leverage if you're still in the main quest? Seems like a decent enough narrative reason unless I'm misremembering.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

hearts of stone is either or. blood and wine is after the main story. i will not be taking questions.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I did it after finishing novogorod, velen, and skellige, but before the final series of quests and it worked fine narratively.

large_gourd
Jan 17, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hearts of stone is fine to do at any point you are the right level for it. they put in references to it in the main quest which only happen if you've started it, which they wouldn't have done if it was intended to only be played after.

blood + wine is definitely for post-game though. everything indicates that, and actually is it even possible to complete it before you do the main quest? because it seems like that would create inconsistencies beyond the geralt retirement adventure tone.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

lol i got the (late game spoiler) "threesome" scene. I had meant to be team Triss on this run and wrongly assumed I'd have more time to avoid it even if I told both of them I loved them earlier on. And you know what? Writing that out, it does sound pretty scummy, so fair play to the game for nailing me there. Does this mean I can't retire with anyone in my villa in blood and wine? Not totally sure how the branching romance paths play out

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

nope, you hosed it. ciri will still visit you though.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Cowcaster posted:

nope, you hosed it. ciri will still visit you though.

Ah dang. Oh well, I suppose that on some level I knew what I was doing was wrong. guess i'll have to play the game a third time

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

large_gourd posted:

hearts of stone is fine to do at any point you are the right level for it. they put in references to it in the main quest which only happen if you've started it, which they wouldn't have done if it was intended to only be played after.

blood + wine is definitely for post-game though. everything indicates that, and actually is it even possible to complete it before you do the main quest? because it seems like that would create inconsistencies beyond the geralt retirement adventure tone.

Yeah you can do HoS at any time, but when you are at that level you are in the final stretch of the game, and its pretty odd for Geralt to just go "yeah thats all important and time sensitive but hold on Im gonna go spend weeks/months (?) cavorting around Redania doing some other stuff"

So especially for first time players, I always say to keep it till after, cause that way you can fully get immersed in it as its own story. Then, if you play it again, go rush it and see all the neat things CDPR put in there.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Yeah it doesn't really make narrative sense to do HoS before finishing the main game. It's not going to hurt anything of course, it's totally fine, it just feels odd for Gerry to peace out when the main game is building toward the final showdown and go do HoS.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Gonna third that. By the time you're leveled appropriately for HoS, you're in the end game for the main quest. It's narratively weird to press pause on Ciri saving the world.

Do HoS all at once too. That story works better if you stick with it. Worst case scenario is bouncing back and forth between the main and HoS quest.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Yeah, the neat little things like being able to have a 15 second convo with yen about HoS events is cool but hardly a reason to try and cram it in early during a first playthrough. It's CDPR having attention to detail so it's not entirely narrative breaking. And them just bring dope in general.

Dark souls style dlc that has to be done before endgame has made true expansions like W3's dlc unintuitive for some people I think. Not everyone is an old like me remebering when expansions were normally sequels of the base game.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i already mentioned this but (book spoiler) geralt hanging out in toussaint for a while right before he finds ciri mirrors the plot of the books, but its more fitting for him to retire there imo

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

HoS takes place in and around Velen/Novigrad so you could conceivably do it alongside the main quest without a ton of immersion breaking. Toussaint is probably a couple weeks on horseback so it's way more of a detour if you're worried about plot urgency. I think Kaer Morhen is a similar distance away though, so maybe Roach is really fast.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Hobo Clown posted:

HoS takes place in and around Velen/Novigrad so you could conceivably do it alongside the main quest without a ton of immersion breaking. Toussaint is probably a couple weeks on horseback so it's way more of a detour if you're worried about plot urgency. I think Kaer Morhen is a similar distance away though, so maybe Roach is really fast.

Is there ever an actual timeline given during W3? I know geralt mentions it being a week from Vizima to Kaer Morhen. Failing that, has some nerd.worked it all out based on plot relates travel times?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Not everyone is an old like me remebering when expansions were normally sequels of the base game.

But then you have expansions like those for Ultima VII and part 2, which have to be done as part of the main game.

Forge of Virtue can be done by a pretty weak character and turns you into a more-than-maxed-out beast with a weapon that can kill anything in one shot.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Is there ever an actual timeline given during W3? I know geralt mentions it being a week from Vizima to Kaer Morhen. Failing that, has some nerd.worked it all out based on plot relates travel times?

Dunno how reliable it is but the Wikia timeline has all of it take place within the same calendar year of 1272. I would assume with all the sailing back & forth to Skellige and multiple trips to Kaer Morhen it's at least a couple months from start to finish.

Also according to that Blood & Wine canonically takes place three years after the events of the main game. Hearts of Stone isn't mentioned.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Do they attempt to square B&W with the bad ending? The bad ending being where Ciri is dead and Geralt, I guess dies to the remaining Crone and her monster squad? Is B&W like nah lol he lived?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Pretty much. During your conversation with Regis in the graveyard if you get the bad ending Geralt has a different dialogue when Regis asks what he's been up to.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Hobo Clown posted:

Only pre-Isle of Mists, really, and then you're probably too low level.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

How far in HoS do you have to get before unlocking the Runemaker? Do you have to kill the :frog:?

That's the only advantage to be gained from doing HoS early. But it's probably too expensive to utilize.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Look Sir Droids posted:

How far in HoS do you have to get before unlocking the Runemaker? Do you have to kill the :frog:?
Nope. Just ride out there. You can unlock him from the beginning of the game. Your only barrier is cash and the ability to kill some level 33ish arachnomorphs

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Ravenfood posted:

Nope. Just ride out there. You can unlock him from the beginning of the game. Your only barrier is cash and the ability to kill some level 33ish arachnomorphs

That is a hard barrier though

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i managed to do it severely underleveled on death march with a lot of quen, igni, and sidestepping, but boy howdy was it pretty gruesome

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
No one has mentioned the obvious reason to do HoS early which is to rock the sunglasses and/or donkey ears through the entire ending sequence

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Wolfsheim posted:

No one has mentioned the obvious reason to do HoS early which is to rock the sunglasses and/or donkey ears through the entire ending sequence

That's what NG+ is for. If you can't wear them for the entire game, what even is the point?

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Hey Comte, black rayla in thronebreaker having this nationalist/racist 'I dont want nonhumans in human lands, but they are perfectly fine in their own nation' stuff sounds eerily like 1900's ethnic nationalism.

Was that intentional? Been watching the great war channel on youtube and I noticed the parallels as soon as I got to mahakam.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Cowcaster posted:

i managed to do it severely underleveled on death march with a lot of quen, igni, and sidestepping, but boy howdy was it pretty gruesome

Yrden is your friend. Drop an yrden glyph, get hit with a web, and when they charge you they get zapped and stunned. Arachnomorphs are super vulnerable to yrden.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Arcsquad12 posted:

Yrden is your friend. Drop an yrden glyph, get hit with a web, and when they charge you they get zapped and stunned. Arachnomorphs are super vulnerable to yrden.

They are spiders. Kill them with fire. From your cluster bombs.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Lol, mahakam has huge vaults of gold kept as a weapon of economic destruction, just in case any humans try to invade, and then they'll spend it all to hyperinflate the value of gold and utterly ruin human economies.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Mike the TV posted:

They are spiders. Kill them with fire. From your cluster bombs.

The way grapeshot doesn't scale at all means they rapidly lose value, even with cluster bombs. Dancing Stars at least do something over time. My superior grapeshots hit for less damage than half of a light attack right now.

Also Aard is really nice for Arachnomorphs too. It knocks them over and let's you hit them for awhile.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Once you get that first hit on them you can keep spamming hits on them until they're dead, just stunlock them. It's just getting that first hit. Aard works as does Axii and Yrden. Enclosed spaces work because you trap them up against a wall. Fighting them outside is a pita.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
welp i was doing the griffin school quest and all of a sudden a leshen dropped on me from the ceiling and hosed me up because you can't really fight them in corridors

turns out it's supposed to spawn as an overworld encounter but i came in from the wrong side

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

The White Dragon posted:

welp i was doing the griffin school quest and all of a sudden a leshen dropped on me from the ceiling and hosed me up because you can't really fight them in corridors

turns out it's supposed to spawn as an overworld encounter but i came in from the wrong side

You were out by Dragon Slayer's Grotto weren't you? That Leshen likes to wander and ruin your day.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Quote-Unquote posted:

But then you have expansions like those for Ultima VII and part 2, which have to be done as part of the main game.

Forge of Virtue can be done by a pretty weak character and turns you into a more-than-maxed-out beast with a weapon that can kill anything in one shot.

Forge of Virtue still has one of my favorite dungeons of all time (Test of Truth). Plus, even though it massively throws off the power curve of the game by maxing out the PC and giving god-tier weapons, the combat in U7 was bad enough that it actually improves the game a lot.

Can we make this thread for talking about Ultima now? How many times do we need to argue about Triss/Yen; Hillock/Crones; Cat Witcher/Peasants?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Pharohman777 posted:

Hey Comte, black rayla in thronebreaker having this nationalist/racist 'I dont want nonhumans in human lands, but they are perfectly fine in their own nation' stuff sounds eerily like 1900's ethnic nationalism.

Was that intentional? Been watching the great war channel on youtube and I noticed the parallels as soon as I got to mahakam.

Didn't work on it, but it also sounds like 2020 ethnic nationalism. Internet nazis say the same garbage poo poo today.

But let's talk about Ultima.