Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

God drat :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ouch :stonk:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Kim :smith:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I get the parallels of Jimmy/Saul's and Kim's optimistic hopes for their work being immediately thwarted by the harsh worst-case scenarios of those situations
They each have a platonic ideal for their respective positions that melt in the face of the darkest criminalist/corporatism

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I spy with my little eye

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Oh poo poo he was a fake CI the whole time

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Man what happened to Maurice Minnifield?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

that ending was extremely cute

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Oh hey there's 15 more minutes

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Oh hey there's 15 more minutes

Oh thank god you said something. Thanks!

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I missed the last two scenes of the first episode because it ran long and they put a commercial at exactly 11:00. AMC is idiots.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh no Kim :smith:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Kim please

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Finally Kim backstory :smith:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I love how Saul's mulls over it before being all well okay then

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Stairmaster posted:

I love how Saul's mulls over it before being all well okay then

Like Homer going "Uhh, okay" and joining his family having seizures watching Japanese TV

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Gonna be honest, I thought Kim was bullshitting with that origin story until I saw how loving hurt she was when he didn't think she was telling the truth.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

in a weird way Jimmy was extremely smart in this episode, quickly diagnosing the situation, not making anything worse by arguing, and getting the job done

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

ah what the hell i missed the last 15 minutes because there was a commercial at the top of the hour

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

ah what the hell i missed the last 15 minutes because there was a commercial at the top of the hour

This isn't the first time they've done this, so to make it clear
It's not over until we see the Executive Producers Vince Gilligan & Peter Gould title

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Gonna be honest, I thought Kim was bullshitting with that origin story until I saw how loving hurt she was when he didn't think she was telling the truth.

Maybe. She could also be hurt because he’s right and she’s selling her soul to kick someone out of their house.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Henchman of Santa posted:

Maybe. She could also be hurt because he’s right and she’s selling her soul to kick someone out of their house.

The end scene makes absolutely no sense if she's just upset she tried to sell bullshit and got caught.

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

The end scene makes absolutely no sense if she's just upset she tried to sell bullshit and got caught.

I don’t get that one personally, to me it seemed like she got caught up in lying to the guy but broke down part way through. I took it as another sign that she just can’t handle living the way Saul/Jimmy does, even when her hearts in the right place.

Who is the actor for Mr Axler? I cannot place him for the life of me despite knowing him from all kinds of roles.

E: I’m dumb, but did I miss some significance of the photo in the bar for Mike?

MisterDuck
Feb 27, 2013
It was the Sydney Opera House- Werner told Mike how his father helped build it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

TheOrange posted:

Who is the actor for Mr Axler? I cannot place him for the life of me despite knowing him from all kinds of roles.

Barry Corbin from Northern Exposure and No Country for Old Men.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
I can't help but anticipate the worst sort of cheap, gently caress the viewer twists involving Kim since that car crash. Went from her getting in another accident, to her getting disbarred for breaking and entering, to her being a victim of the castle doctrine, to her being traumatized by a suicide.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I can't tell if it's nicely seamless or glaringly contrived that Lalo is calling Nacho "Ignacio" in order that it'll make sense later in BB when Saul calls him Ignacio even though he knew him as Nacho earlier.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lurker2006 posted:

Went from her getting in another accident, to her getting disbarred for breaking and entering, to her being a victim of the castle doctrine, to her being traumatized by a suicide.

this is very weird fan fiction

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Gonna be a nitpicking little rear end on this but I was a little disappointed to discover that the soccer game Nacho was watching wasn't time accurate; Belarus and Mexico have only played each other once in international friendlies and that was in 2018.

Obviously one can't be perfect on these things but I was really hoping to be amazed at the attention to detail rather than a "dangit!" moment.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

Renaissance Spam posted:

Gonna be a nitpicking little rear end on this but I was a little disappointed to discover that the soccer game Nacho was watching wasn't time accurate; Belarus and Mexico have only played each other once in international friendlies and that was in 2018.

Obviously one can't be perfect on these things but I was really hoping to be amazed at the attention to detail rather than a "dangit!" moment.

Came here to be like "wow that was an amazing hour of human drama" and talk about how the near complete lack of score added to the tension, and once again I have to post:

Shut up, nerd

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Data Graham posted:

I can't tell if it's nicely seamless or glaringly contrived that Lalo is calling Nacho "Ignacio" in order that it'll make sense later in BB when Saul calls him Ignacio even though he knew him as Nacho earlier.

Lalo seems like the type to call him by his full name. Doesn't he also call Mike "Michael"?

Also, I can't help but hear Lalo repeating "Vur-nur ZEE-glur" whenever I think of this show.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Like that exchange between Not-Wilford Brimley and Kim was a loving amazing set up of the conflict that's going to destroy the relationship between the main protagonists of the show and goons choose to post about how the background soccer match wasn't historically accurate. gently caress this is a worthless dead forum

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Came here to be like "wow that was an amazing hour of human drama" and talk about how the near complete lack of score added to the tension, and once again I have to post:

Shut up, nerd

yeah I deserve that. It's an amazing episode; every one is. I think I've been sucked into that side of the fandom where I'm trying to get so detail oriented to catch all the little symbols and metaphor. I got caught in a weird rabbit hole thinking that the game might have some symbolism (or at least give a direct timeline moment which could provide some temporal context). In all honesty it kinda ruined the scene with Nacho and his father because that was punch in the gut; for a second I really thought Nacho had found a way to get his dad out of danger but my brain kept swinging back to that stupid game.

UtahIsNotAState
Jun 27, 2006

Dick will make you slap somebody!
I'm sure this is an idiotic question but when Nacho and his dad talk, why are all the lights off in the house? Is there some symbolism there? Prior to them sitting down you can see a lamp on in the living room, so I don't get why they are sitting and talking in the dark.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Because it's the middle of the loving day jfc

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

UtahIsNotAState posted:

I'm sure this is an idiotic question but when Nacho and his dad talk, why are all the lights off in the house? Is there some symbolism there? Prior to them sitting down you can see a lamp on in the living room, so I don't get why they are sitting and talking in the dark.

It's actually a really interesting idea; considering physical light and darkness has been such an important part of the Chuck/Jimmy relationship maybe there's some idea that conversations in the dark have to do with familial confrontation? I think we'd need to go back and do some examination of previous scenes but there's an interesting hypothesis at least.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

UtahIsNotAState posted:

Nacho is hanging out in hot Albuquerque with two tweakers.
When his father leaves, he’s stuck sitting in darkness, his father embracing the path of light.

I looked up the distance from where Kim had to go and Albuquerque, it’s more than 170 miles. The fact that she had any composure left when she got there is amazing.

Lalo is such a good villain, one the series has been lacking since Chuck. He is canny, plays his cards close to his chest, and he’s exactly as menacing as he needs to be, never more.

It’s funny to see him beat Giancarlo. Gus is amazing but he’s not the mastermind he’s going to be, so seeing him have to leave half a million on the table just to keep a pipeline open is amazing. And yet the last episode started with two tweakers you probably have 300 bucks between them. This show is as expansive a look at the drug war as the Wire was.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Those were some loving symbolic ants.

This show owns.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

I thought Kim was going to go back and give the curmudgeon some nasty legal trick to use against Mesa Verde. I am really, really hoping that she goes down the Saul rabbithole and sticks by his side. They're doing a great job of having her go back and forth, she clearly envies Jimmy's newfound freedom.

It's surprising how far we've come with Jimmy, he's completely transformed now; I see very little difference between where he is now and Breaking Bad Saul - it's just a matter of scale and success as he realises how much money that he can make with his shtick. There's no way he'd stop for Kim now, he's having too much fun. The only persons' judgement he ever really cared about was Chuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

what a beautiful ending scene without a word of dialogue. it's going to hurt like hell when whatever happens, happens.