Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Khizan posted:

The alternative is effectively sentencing her to extrajudicial execution at the hands of the capitalists. Accordingly, I always let her go.

She's playing you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Khizan posted:

The alternative is effectively sentencing her to extrajudicial execution at the hands of the capitalists. Accordingly, I always let her go.

I don't remember this 100%, but isn't she a corporate spy? I let her go, but honestly letting one corporate puppet kill another isn't much of a moral quandary.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

She's a chaos elemental and needs to be stopped.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
Re Klaasje,

I let her go on my first playthrough and after thinking about it I regret it.

It can be argued that her presence in Whirling-in-Rags and more importantly her actions on the night when the merc captain was killed was one of the main causes for the Tribunal. She essentially orchestrated the fake lynching, which was one of the reasons for the tribunal happening in the first place, and for the deaths of at least 3 innocent people. She could've bailed, and there were other options, but she chose to do what she did.

All the effects this development had on the Wild Pines-Union struggle notwithstanding, the fact that she so effortlessly manipulated 8 people into getting into a very dangerous situation (which she could have easily predicted knowing the merc leader as close as she did), and the fact that doing this was her first decision makes me think that she does not have much regard for people around her and close to her, their livelihoods and their safety. She knew what she's getting them into, and she was fine with it (apart from some performative I'm Sad poo poo). She was also fine with throwing Ruby under the bus, a person who she knew had feelings for her, and what's worse, she was a-ok using these feelings to push Ruby into following through with this whole mess of a plan. I think this warrants stopping her from doing more harm in the future.

nurmie fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Mar 2, 2020

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Khizan posted:

Considering she herself was part of that capitalist extrajudicion when it suited her, and considering she's liable to continue spreading misery and death, I've no problem with her life of crime catching up with her.

The one who talked about performative "I'm sad" poo poo is right. If she's not just pulling another fast one, her guilt doesn't let her off the hook, and honestly her attempt to drown her guilt with more partying and drugs makes me like her even less. She wants to run from the consequences of her own actions and has no problem with using others as human shields.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I hosed up the Suggestion check on the washerwoman to get her to sign the thing, and my Suggestion skill is capped. :geno:

How do I retry that check? I'm playing the thinker type character, so all my social skills are poo poo. I'm seeing that you can raise skill caps by doing drugs, but that this only works for your "main stat", which is certainly not Psyche. Am I just hosed on doing stuff for Evrart now?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Khizan posted:

Do we know that she's telling the truth about this?

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

loquacius posted:

I hosed up the Suggestion check on the washerwoman to get her to sign the thing, and my Suggestion skill is capped. :geno:

How do I retry that check? I'm playing the thinker type character, so all my social skills are poo poo. I'm seeing that you can raise skill caps by doing drugs, but that this only works for your "main stat", which is certainly not Psyche. Am I just hosed on doing stuff for Evrart now?

You gotta do the drugs that raise the category of skill you want to invest a rank in to. There is another way I think interact with the envelope in your inventory, then forge a signature.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

loquacius posted:

There are a few Thought Cabinet ideas that can raise the skill (and also some that lower it, so beware), if you want to go that way with the quest instead of lying. If you started with very low psyche then Regular Law Official will raise all skill learning caps to 3. Passing the Encyclopedia check with your mirror will raise all psy caps by 1. Interacting with a particular difficult door and then thinking about it will unlock all psy white checks once.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Promethium posted:

There are a few Thought Cabinet ideas that can raise the skill (and also some that lower it, so beware), if you want to go that way with the quest instead of lying. If you started with very low psyche then Regular Law Official will raise all skill learning caps to 3. Passing the Encyclopedia check with your mirror will raise all psy caps by 1. Interacting with a particular difficult door and then thinking about it will unlock all psy white checks once.

This is all great intel, but sirtommygunn's tip worked. Thanks guys :tipshat:

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
Re: Klassje

She's a 'corporate spy' hired by Evrart to encite trouble to get Wild Pines to back off. She does this by manipulating Titus and the merc by sleeping with them.

When the merc is killed, she stages the coverup to hide the bullet. This is why she hides the bullet trajectory from you until her plan is complete and she is already gone.

She implicates Ruby to get rid of a loose end. She is not remorseful or worried about retribution. She sticks around after the murder to ensure her Plan B succeeds since she was expecting the Hardies and mercs to kill each other, not for the merc to be randomly murdered.

Conclusion: She's a drat good corporate spy and should not be arrested.

TommyGun85 fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 2, 2020

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Countpoint: Klassje can go have gently caress with herself.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Do we know that she's telling the truth about this?

It's shown in a shivers (?) "Cutscene" iirc

itry
Aug 23, 2019

But we don't know that they're there to kill her, as she said. For all we know they're there to take her to trial in the mainland or wherever.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Hwurmp posted:

dead gay comedy forums has some good ones:

hey, thanks for the shout out :3:

I have actually been gathering some thoughts and considering to do a full-blown essay on the game because writing about it really brings a lot of references and so much contextual stuff from things like intellectual movements that I am probably going to need a while to do that, my structure right now is a three-parter:

the world - Elysium, the Pale, the Isolas
the city - Insulinde and Revachol
the man - how there must be a monsieur du bois at the end of all this and how it ties it all together

besides if I am going to do that I am also going to put up a decent website to host up some long form texts because dear god medium is terrible

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

itry posted:

But we don't know that they're there to kill her, as she said. For all we know they're there to take her to trial in the mainland or wherever.

Nobody is there for that and she knows it.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

At the end of the day the choice about what to do with Klassje is really about whether you are willing to show mercy to someone who wronged you or not.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

wiegieman posted:

At the end of the day the choice about what to do with Klassje is really about whether you are willing to show mercy to someone who wronged you or not.

The way I looked at it was that, yeah, she's not a good person and there's definitely a "live by the sword, die by the sword" vibe going on with the corporate spy/saboteur getting whacked by big business. And, yeah, she lied to you and she's definitely playing you.

But hell, Harry is getting a second chance and sobering up and working to improve himself, and I decided that he wouldn't want to start off this new chapter in his life with the knowledge that he had sent somebody off to be murdered by the agents of capitalism, especially because you make that decision before the Tribunal happens. At that point, the only killing has been the mercenary leader and she's not responsible for his death.

Also, her manipulations are responsible for you meeting Lt Kitsuragi, and imo that alone is enough to justify letting her walk.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
I played Sensitive Harry and I see no reason to be the judging hand of our unwanted corporate overlords, I won't judge nor kill anyone for any master. For Harry to get out of his hole and use his second chance, I think he needs to quit the force and start a detective agency with Kim and bring some detective savant justice to the slums. Martinaise needs her heroes.

I got a feeling it's not the last time we'll see Miss Oranje Disco Dancer. She looks like she could also have a pretty talkative skillset.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Khizan posted:

The alternative is effectively sentencing her to extrajudicial execution at the hands of the capitalists.

A just reward for the crime of partying IMO

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

I wish the expansion for DE would focus on finding the Cocaine Skull that Idiot Doom Spiral talks about. Failing that, the Square Bullet Hole Murders from your ledger would be a runner up.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Entorwellian posted:

I wish the expansion for DE would focus on finding the Cocaine Skull that Idiot Doom Spiral talks about. Failing that, the Square Bullet Hole Murders from your ledger would be a runner up.

there's a line right at the very end (possibly a shivers check?) about somewhere, someone loads a square bullet into a square gun and it's one of my favourite throw away lines in the game

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

there's a line right at the very end (possibly a shivers check?) about somewhere, someone loads a square bullet into a square gun and it's one of my favourite throw away lines in the game

gently caress yes, it is great exactly because how subtle the segue is

there are a few of those as you go into the endgame, and Shivers/Esprit-de-Corps paint a great picture of things to come for the city

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
For the first time in my life, I heard a politician use the term esprit de corps. Im not sure how popular this term is (I had never heard it before) but I like to think he also played this game.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's a pretty old term I've heard before the game was a thing, it comes up in military and police related contexts at times.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

esprit de corps is a pretty common phrase in my experience

really want to do a playthrough that leans heavily on esprit de corps, inland empire and shivers just so i can get all that sweet background flavour text

e: i shied away from all the psychic superstar cop stuff last time so it could be fun

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

A high Shivers run is great, highly recommend it.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Enjoy posted:

A just reward for the crime of partying IMO

She should have fought for her right to party

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
There is a good job done of giving you reasons to justify either decision and regret either or both.

[Drama] And anyway, she PROMISED to come to the station in a few weeks. [Electrochemistry] The body under that jumpsuit cannot lie.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

:(

also just finished it about 10 minutes ago, what a journey, absolutely beautiful story

i think i got the good ending but I'm sure i missed some stuff

almost lost it when the phasmid showed up

Just finished it too.

That poo poo was amazing, and honestly blindsided me in a way I've not previously encountered in a game. (Also I was expecting a tiny little thing that disguised itself as *a* reed, not that! That said the game had already revealed that there were real paranormal things going on, like the device Ruby made (although I'm fairly sure I've missed out on the background of the paranormal stuff going on there), and the guy in the container, but still, the size of the thing.

I approached the game with the mindset that *I* was the mystery to be solved, and think I enjoyed it all the more for it. Kim gradually warming to me was wonderful writing as well.

I finished the game with a fairly middle-of-the-roadish build, and got what I think may be one of the "best" endings (solved all aspects of the case, got the photo of the insect, convinced Kim to join the precinct, revealed my past as a gym teacher, you know) and played through as a very sorry cop. I basically played it as a person who knew that they had hosed up, was eager to make amends and start acting right, and was very pleasantly surprised that my decision to not drink alcohol, leaving just one quest left over at the end of the game, actually had a tangible effect on the game's ending.

I like how failing a check sometimes reveals more interesting things, and my next playthroughs will be as a 1/1/5/5 good-natured drug-addled lunk, and as a 5/5/1/1 doomsaying sociopathic user. Now that I've got a *good* ending, I want to try again for interesting interactions first and foremost.

Does anyone know what happens when you get into the bunker north of the Church? The one with the insanely high red check?

willing to settle
Apr 13, 2011

Breetai posted:

Does anyone know what happens when you get into the bunker north of the Church? The one with the insanely high red check?

You can't.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

some doors can't be opened so just stick that in your thought cabinet and internalise it

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
To support leniency for Klassje, maybe the girl who just had her boyfriend's brains splattered on her while they were mid-gently caress does not need to have her fingernails pulled out by the colonial power right just this minute

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Mr. Dick posted:

To support leniency for Klassje, maybe the girl who just had her boyfriend's brains splattered on her while they were mid-gently caress does not need to have her fingernails pulled out by the colonial power right just this minute

she's playing you. You should be lenient to her because she's an awesome spy who played everyone perfectly, even executing a masterful Plan B when her Plan A fails and shes tossed a curveball.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

People keep saying "she's playing you" but how much does that actually change about the circumstances, really? It makes her less sympathetic, sure, but it's not really enough on its own to change most peoples' minds, I think.

Which isn't to say that's why you shouldn't bring her in. You shouldn't bring her in because you can't afford to be without Kim for the rest of the day :v:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Breetai posted:

Others have already chimed in, but if it makes you feel better, it presumably would have lead to a path between the shore and the island, so at best, you would have had an alternative to the boat crossing. But it's not an option narratively because then you'd get there ahead of the tribunal.

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018

Arist posted:

People keep saying "she's playing you" but how much does that actually change about the circumstances, really? It makes her less sympathetic, sure, but it's not really enough on its own to change most peoples' minds, I think.

Which isn't to say that's why you shouldn't bring her in. You shouldn't bring her in because you can't afford to be without Kim for the rest of the day :v:

Glory. Truth. Softness. Protect her. She wants you.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I absolutely love the parts of the game where other people using their superior skills on you. Kim using Authority, Klassje using... everything.

A few bits of turnaround really do make it so much better.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
With regards to Klassje,what do people feel like the difference is between figuring her out with volition and drama? Drama at least feels more freaked out by the situation. Also on my second playthrough I figured her out....when I was alone with her at night because I'd snuck off from Kim to find out what I'd done over the weekend. So I couldn't arrest her. And she bailed the next morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

jesus christ that was a good game

accidentally recruited another junior detective as well