Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

bows1 posted:

That may be the move!

Also where did we come down on A Plague Tale? Worth the cash?

A Plague Tale is really good and also on Gamepass for PC/XB, if you have those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Heavy Metal posted:

And like people are saying, take Shadow of the Colossus mentioned for example, we can find plenty of anime with a tone and style like that. And of course Bloodbourne as mentioned, we've got Berserk, VHD and whatnot to compare to. It'd be like saying "I want an adventure - no cinematic BS like seen in a film"... it's just head exploding, yes like in Fist of the North Star.

Yes SotC and Bloodborne are good. Persona, Nier, DBZ, etc is not my jam at all.

Actually i Should probably finish SotC. I got stuck on the wall-lizard cause I watched like 8 youtube videos on how to beat him and he would never react the way he was supposed to. I gave up as it was terribly un-fun. I liked all the other Colossi a lot.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

bows1 posted:

Adventure - not too difficult, and something that will grab me immediately.

absolutely no anime BS :)

You played Spider-Man yet?

E: yeah finish SOTC. Or play TLG if you haven’t played it.

Hellblade is good too but I don’t know why he said it was a couple of hours on. It’s probably like 8-10 hours

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Mar 3, 2020

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

:lol: this fuckin voice acting in FF7.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

veni veni veni posted:

From trailers it sounds like they tried to make it like it was imagined in the head of 13 year olds when playing the original.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

veni veni veni posted:

You played Spider-Man yet?

E: yeah finish SOTC. Or play TLG if you haven’t played it.

Hellblade is good too but I don’t know why he said it was a couple of hours on. It’s probably like 8-10 hours

Yeah I plat Spiderman and did most of the DLC's. Can pretty much assume I beat most AAA games, or bounced off of them already (AC:Odyssey)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
8 hours at most, if you get stuck on something. Hellblade is quite short and it's not exactly action-packed, it's definitely a sub-AAA game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

From trailers it sounds like they tried to make it like it was imagined in the head of 13 year olds when playing the original.

Haha yeah. that’s a pretty good way to describe it.

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

My trip report on Nier Automata so far is that it's not... great?

I suppose I'm probably not that far in, I just got to the robot villiage. Combat is alright, I like that the bosses turn into bullet hell mini games, I wasn't expecting that and it's a fun change. The more action RPG elements are okay thanks to a sort of parry system in the dodge timing going into an air combo. I like that.

Not sure what I'm doing with weapons, trying to work out which one is best is really confusing so I'm just going with the ones that look cool for now. The fishing is bad. And no 9S I don't want to change your loving combat style for the 900th time stop loving getting in the way of me picking something up and asking me that you piece of poo poo, I hope you loving die soon.

Storywise there's a lot of anime bullshit but that's to be expected I suppose, my fault for not realising how much that was going to annoy me no surprise that the cute looking robots aren't necessarily evil and maybe the humans are dicks/all dead, you can pick that being a plot point from minute one, so glad that wasn't stretched out for ages as a big twist but seriously if the central premise for this game turns out to be 'Maybe in fact it is YOU THE PLAYER who is the robot here, following your quest marker like the automaton you are!' I'm going to be pretty cranky

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

veni veni veni posted:

I wasn’t sold on it until I heard some incidental dialogue, like “No time to celebrate!” after a random fight, or Barrett singing the victory theme when he levels up.

Hell, if those random non-combat quips don’t get subtitles I’m gonna be tempted to play this thing dubbed.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

The Neal! posted:

My trip report on Nier Automata so far is that it's not... great?

I suppose I'm probably not that far in, I just got to the robot villiage. Combat is alright, I like that the bosses turn into bullet hell mini games, I wasn't expecting that and it's a fun change. The more action RPG elements are okay thanks to a sort of parry system in the dodge timing going into an air combo. I like that.

Not sure what I'm doing with weapons, trying to work out which one is best is really confusing so I'm just going with the ones that look cool for now. The fishing is bad. And no 9S I don't want to change your loving combat style for the 900th time stop loving getting in the way of me picking something up and asking me that you piece of poo poo, I hope you loving die soon.

Storywise there's a lot of anime bullshit but that's to be expected I suppose, my fault for not realising how much that was going to annoy me no surprise that the cute looking robots aren't necessarily evil and maybe the humans are dicks/all dead, you can pick that being a plot point from minute one, so glad that wasn't stretched out for ages as a big twist but seriously if the central premise for this game turns out to be 'Maybe in fact it is YOU THE PLAYER who is the robot here, following your quest marker like the automaton you are!' I'm going to be pretty cranky

I hope you hate ending E as much as I do.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Dewgy posted:

Hell, if those random non-combat quips don’t get subtitles I’m gonna be tempted to play this thing dubbed.

uh, how else would you play it? muted?
:goonsay:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

The Human Crouton posted:

I hope you hate ending E as much as I do.

Wassat?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

The Neal! posted:

I'll rag on Nier:A but the story is legit one of its best parts, head and shoulders better than what you'll find in 99% of games, and while you're nearing in on guessing one of the plot twists, it goes to much more interesting places than what you're expecting.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

after like 50 hours playtime I think I’m burnt out on dark souls 3. midir is too defeating. or I’m just burnt out on games in general.

still have packages to deliver in death stranding I should get back to. I put it down for ds3 just as I was heading to the mountains.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Zushio posted:

Where is this slow fights thing coming from? I don't think a single fight lasted longer than 10 seconds for me except bosses. The Scorpion took maybe 5 minute? I set the timer for 20 and escaped with 15 minutes left after killing every enemy and accidentally backtracking once because I am a doofus.

Yeah, i have no idea. I just finished the demo on normal and the combat felt great\intuitive and only the scorpion took longer that 20-40 seconds to fight, and was satisfying throughout. After reading the posts about combat being bad I was going in expecting to find fault, because I didn't like XV's combat very much and I have a pretty low annoyance threshold for fiddly systems in general but, no, it all worked really well.

Plus it was ridiculously nostalgic. They might have my money at launch.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
It kinda blows my mind how much people will poo poo on games that do legitimately unique things that literally have either never been done in other games or just does certain things, like Nier’s story and the way it uses diegetic elements and juxtaposes them with non diegetic elements, the way you adjust the audio and other game settings with 9S speaking to you, and then how you experience all of that in Route B, the audio and visual effects that 2B is experiencing actually appearing on screen and slowly altering the audio and visual fidelity during that long countdown in Route C while the council of humanity transmission plays (which is definitely in my top ten or whatever examples of things that only video games as a medium are capable of and should be used in ways like this more often), like, the music and that council of humanity speech is incredibly affecting story telling, and that alone is such a cool unique thing Ive never seen in a game before, but Nier does stuff like that like, the entire god darn game. And the combat, while I personally enjoy it and I like the way the movement feels in that game and the speed, I can see people not enjoying that much, but I don’t understand how you can be a fan of action RPGs or Platinum games and say it’s *bad*, or not fun ever. It’s done well, but just lacks a few other elements that usually make Platinum games so good, but it makes up for that in other ways, like the Simone boss battle, or This Will Not Continue, or fighting on a moving roller coaster.

One of the reasons my mind is just blown whenever people just say The Last Guardian sucks, period, even after beating it. Sure, it might not have been fun for you, and that’s fine, but to experience that entire game, which is truly a unique game that’s unlike any other game and I don’t think there will ever be another game like it, and I guess the reason why it’s unique is also the reason people don’t like it, like Trico’s AI, but I just feel like it would be incredibly hard for me to complete games like those that are so unlike anything else out there and come away from it thinking ‘yeah that kinda just sucked’. Idk, it might just be me, because I respect the hell out of Vane, which got awful reviews and really isn’t a fun game to play through, or at least the second half is something I’ll probably never play again, but I can’t really think of any other game that does what that game does, graphically, through narrative storytelling, and mechanically, and all of those things combine in such a way that I can really admire, despite being frustrated with the bugs and how there was literally only like 3 save points, maybe 4, across a 3-4 hour game. But that’s an extreme example, and I know a ton of people love Nier, but it’s just weird to me how anyone could get through at least like Route C and still just kind of think ‘that wasn’t good’ and nothing else is just bonkers.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Imhotep posted:

It kinda blows my mind how much people will poo poo on games that do legitimately unique things that literally have either never been done in other games or just does certain things, like Nier’s story and the way it uses diegetic elements and juxtaposes them with non diegetic elements, the way you adjust the audio and other game settings with 9S speaking to you, and then how you experience all of that in Route B, the audio and visual effects that 2B is experiencing actually appearing on screen and slowly altering the audio and visual fidelity during that long countdown in Route C while the council of humanity transmission plays (which is definitely in my top ten or whatever examples of things that only video games as a medium are capable of and should be used in ways like this more often), like, the music and that council of humanity speech is incredibly affecting story telling, and that alone is such a cool unique thing Ive never seen in a game before, but Nier does stuff like that like, the entire god darn game. And the combat, while I personally enjoy it and I like the way the movement feels in that game and the speed, I can see people not enjoying that much, but I don’t understand how you can be a fan of action RPGs or Platinum games and say it’s *bad*, or not fun ever. It’s done well, but just lacks a few other elements that usually make Platinum games so good, but it makes up for that in other ways, like the Simone boss battle, or This Will Not Continue, or fighting on a moving roller coaster.

One of the reasons my mind is just blown whenever people just say The Last Guardian sucks, period, even after beating it. Sure, it might not have been fun for you, and that’s fine, but to experience that entire game, which is truly a unique game that’s unlike any other game and I don’t think there will ever be another game like it, and I guess the reason why it’s unique is also the reason people don’t like it, like Trico’s AI, but I just feel like it would be incredibly hard for me to complete games like those that are so unlike anything else out there and come away from it thinking ‘yeah that kinda just sucked’. Idk, it might just be me, because I respect the hell out of Vane, which got awful reviews and really isn’t a fun game to play through, or at least the second half is something I’ll probably never play again, but I can’t really think of any other game that does what that game does, graphically, through narrative storytelling, and mechanically, and all of those things combine in such a way that I can really admire, despite being frustrated with the bugs and how there was literally only like 3 save points, maybe 4, across a 3-4 hour game. But that’s an extreme example, and I know a ton of people love Nier, but it’s just weird to me how anyone could get through at least like Route C and still just kind of think ‘that wasn’t good’ and nothing else is just bonkers.

drat excellent post my man

i really love games that do something unique with the medium and advance it forward. i can overlook minor flaws for that kind of transcendent experience.

i think the last game i played that gave me that kinda feeling was Return of the Obra Dinn. (if you havent played it, its on ps4 and $20 fuckin play it)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Reminder that Sonic Heroes is one of the PS+ games next month (The other being an actual good game, Shadows of the Colossus)

Looking forward to being HOTWHEELSMASTA69
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAGhQHO3RcA&t=545s

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Infinitum posted:

Reminder that Sonic Heroes is one of the PS+ games next month

drat I didn't even know they ported it to modern consoles what a pull

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
I mean unique doesn’t equal good. I couldn’t stand the gameplay, storytelling etc of Nier and then having to start over the storyline again was the last straw. I didn’t even like up til the end of route A. It’s ok to not like it.

Edit also beat BB for the second time just now. First time I’ve ever beaten a game again for a second ending. Beat every boss i missed the first time around and the whole DLC. Not going to play it now but a great ride.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Regy Rusty posted:

Sorry all modern Sonics are just one homogeneous blob to me at this point

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Infinitum posted:

Reminder that Sonic Heroes is one of the PS+ games next month (The other being an actual good game, Shadows of the Colossus)

Looking forward to being HOTWHEELSMASTA69
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAGhQHO3RcA&t=545s

Regy Rusty posted:

Will it include Sonic 2

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

bows1 posted:

I mean unique doesn’t equal good. I couldn’t stand the gameplay, storytelling etc of Nier and then having to start over the storyline again was the last straw. I didn’t even like up til the end of route A. It’s ok to not like it.

Edit also beat BB for the second time just now. First time I’ve ever beaten a game again for a second ending. Beat every boss i missed the first time around and the whole DLC. Not going to play it now but a great ride.

not for everybody, 100% i agree

i'm just saying, that as someone who plays too many video games, i end up getting a disproportionate amount of enjoyment from any game that tries something different, even if they cant stick the landing 100%

and conversely i get less enjoyment from games that are very solid by all metrics, but kinda derivative

death stranding was cool too

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Played the FF7 remake demo. Had me worried at first when I couldn't actually see a menu that was more substantial beyond 'unpause, skip' but that was given to me in like three minutes so lol at me for being so impatient.

Not having a three hit combo when out of combat to open boxes feels really weird. One hit just don't feel right, I dunno.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm still really enjoying Kakarot even though it's really simple. you don't even really need to interact with the environment because you fly everywhere. The combat is never very difficult but it looks awesome and you can experience DBZs batshit insane story at a relatively brisk pace.

Easy games that do a lot of behind the scenes work to make you look cooler are absolutely my jam. If I didn't already know the broad strokes of Dragon Ball Z I'd probably get it myself but since I do I'm not really inclined because I've heard it could be pretty repetitive. If it had the same difficulty it does now but you had a MGR combo list of attacks instead of most stuff being locked behind supplying the game with orbs to unlock a Super Kamehameha or some kind of attack I'd be interested. Or even a light and heavy list like a Dynasty Warriors would be good.

Dewgy posted:

Binge the entire Yakuza series, starting with 0.

You're out of your mind, Yakuza 0 takes like an hour and twenty minutes to fully rope you in. It's a game with a very slow start.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Just played through the FFVIIR demo. It's very charming and nostalgic and the voices being kinda bad and videogamey was weirdly perfect. The combat was a little clunky and I dunno about stuff like the laser tripwire segment that felt like lazy padding but overall it has promise. Will still wait to see impressions/length since this didn't give a good indication of how different materia and abilities and such might make combat flow, though.

Also its been awhile; did they change that the bomb failed and Shinra blew their own reactor, presumably to make the team look bad? I dunno if it matters since after the very beginning the whole 'eco-terrorists knowingly killing people with bombs for the greater good' doesn't really come up again but it does take away the edge a little bit.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

Also its been awhile; did they change that the bomb failed and Shinra blew their own reactor, presumably to make the team look bad? I dunno if it matters since after the very beginning the whole 'eco-terrorists knowingly killing people with bombs for the greater good' doesn't really come up again but it does take away the edge a little bit.

Yes, that was a change and not really for the better.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

FF7's seamless transitions from cutscene to gameplay and back are impressive, especially considering how great the cutscenes look. It's a really slick presentation overall, it looks like the 2020 remake I would've fantasized about in 1997. And it plays well, I'm digging the battle system a lot. Bouncing between Cloud and Barrett as an encounter changes in order to capitalize on their strengths while managing your ATB meters and enemy stagger meters feels great. I wanna try it with a full party now. I'm gonna have to pick this up eventually.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Midjack posted:

Yes, that was a change and not really for the better.

It feels a little Greedo-shot-first

Having said that I like how they made the president look like anime Fred Trump even though it probably wasn't intentional

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Switching between characters often is for sure going to be key to being effective in the harder battles in the game - the scorpion boss fight proved that the AI for your group is dumb as hell.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wolfsheim posted:

Just played through the FFVIIR demo. It's very charming and nostalgic and the voices being kinda bad and videogamey was weirdly perfect. The combat was a little clunky and I dunno about stuff like the laser tripwire segment that felt like lazy padding but overall it has promise. Will still wait to see impressions/length since this didn't give a good indication of how different materia and abilities and such might make combat flow, though.

Yeah pretty much agree with all of that. The combat seems like it has potential though.

Have they shown any summons?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

They've shown off Shiva, Ifrit, Cactuar, Carbuncle, Chocobo Chick, Choco & Mog.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Knights of the Round better be the 30min summoning animation I remember it to be

Zushio
May 8, 2008
If anything I came away from the demo feeling positive, but also hoping a Hard mode is available for first playthrough. I liked what I got of the combat, it kinda feels similar to The Witcher games to me (I did not play FF15), but everything dying in a single attack string or ability usage puts a damper for it on me. It gives you all these cool options to play with, but nothing can stand up long enough for you to really get a feel for the system. Other than the bosses. I haven't even seen the limit breaks, will have to replay and eat poo poo.

Obviously it's early in the game and a preview build so maybe things will be different. As someone who was only mildy interested originally, the demo certainly put it more on my radar. I do how have this nagging worry that the whole game is going to be filler fights other than bosses though. More action centric/historically action games like DMC even a standard mob could be a legit threat until you learned how to play. I was young, and certainly impressionable when I played the original FF7, but somehow the whole scene has a lot less tension now. It's not such a bad thing in some ways, just something I was thinking about.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Mar 3, 2020

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

f#a# posted:

i don't care I will recommend that game to EVERYONE

It's to PS4 recommendations what Demon's Souls was to PS3 recommendations.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Policenaut posted:

They've shown off Shiva, Ifrit, Cactuar, Carbuncle, Chocobo Chick, Choco & Mog.

Leviathan as well, which is kinda weird since it's traditionally been more of a mid to late game summon (in FF7 you get it from Wutai at the end of Yuffie's Game of Death pagoda sidequest)

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

doctor iono posted:

drat excellent post my man

i really love games that do something unique with the medium and advance it forward. i can overlook minor flaws for that kind of transcendent experience.

i think the last game i played that gave me that kinda feeling was Return of the Obra Dinn. (if you havent played it, its on ps4 and $20 fuckin play it)

Yeah I have Obra Dinn, I still need to beat it, it came out like 3 days after Outer Wilds came out on PS4 and so I played like 3 hours of it and was a bit overwhelmed so when I beat Outer Wilds and like Disco Elysium and whatever other games I started playing at the end of the year I'd completely forgotten what was going on. It felt like I had inceptioned 8 times into different murder scenarios and also wasn't sure if any of my answers were totally correct in all categories. Definitely want to come back to it though and maybe read some 'tips before you play ______' type articles which I feel dumb doing since I'm sure it'll make sense as I play more of it, but yeah it's just a cool concept in general and I love the art style a lot, and I don't think I've seen any other game with a style quite like it. I loved how the murder scenarios slowly escalates with more layers until you go outside and see the possibly titular Obra Dinn attacking and every single person is doing something wild or getting killed in a crazy way.

The FF7 demo was kinda mixed for me, I like the feel of the combat way more than I thought I would, but exploring definitely felt linear in a way that made me feel like a lot of the game will be, and yeah, the enemies were so easy that by the time I got to the boss I wasn't actually sure how to effectively use the block or the roll, or I'm assuming that's what I should've been doing to avoid getting Cloud killed twice by it. Also geeez, the voice acting, like Cloud literally has some snippy lovely thing to say at the end of every corridor.

Btw is the Nioh 2 demo still going? I looked for it briefly while FF7 downloaded but couldn't find it.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

veni veni veni posted:

I'll probably grab the complete version when it's out in 40 years.

Fixed for accuracy.

Have you tried the demo, Veni?

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Imhotep posted:

Btw is the Nioh 2 demo still going? I looked for it briefly while FF7 downloaded but couldn't find it.

Ended on Sunday night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Imhotep posted:

The FF7 demo was kinda mixed for me, I like the feel of the combat way more than I thought I would, but exploring definitely felt linear in a way that made me feel like a lot of the game will be, and yeah, the enemies were so easy that by the time I got to the boss I wasn't actually sure how to effectively use the block or the roll, or I'm assuming that's what I should've been doing to avoid getting Cloud killed twice by it. Also geeez, the voice acting, like Cloud literally has some snippy lovely thing to say at the end of every corridor.

Block only halves the damage you take, it doesn't protect you much. The real benefit is that it builds ATB during an enemy attack. (Also if you're Cloud and you're in punisher mode, I think guarding melee attacks causes you to parry and do damage.) Roll looks like it's for getting away from AOE damage like grenades, which I don't recall coming up much with the boss.

Seems like combat comes down to staying aggressive. Kill small enemies before they can hurt you. Constantly attack and build ATB so you have meter to spend on healing yourself and killing enemies before they hurt you. If the enemy is throwing a bunch of poo poo at you, block and turn it into ATB that you can throw back in its face and kill it before it hurts you again. Constantly attack big guys and spend ATB to stagger them so that you can do more damage and build more ATB that you can then immediately spend on doing more damage, while they're still staggered if you're quick about it. *Alec Baldwin Glengarry Glen Ross voice* ATB

acksplode fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Mar 3, 2020