Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Idia
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
I never played the GameCube AC and now I really want a bunch of mean people on my island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phourniner
Feb 19, 2007

When you're in a town like this all covered with smoke, you forget that there's a world outside. Nothing amazing happens here. And you get used to that, used to a world where everything is ordinary. Every day we spend here is like a whole lifetime of dying slowly.

I remember the fun personalities the GC villagers had, and now I'm sad because they're probably still going to be neutered. :( But maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised. I miss when they used to walk around with like hearts and flowers and music notes above their heads when they were in a good mood, and also the distinct sounds of a pissed off villager stomping around.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I can't decide if I'm :smith: or :unsmith: about only seeing the nicer animal folks in New Leaf

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I wouldn't call them nicer, more like emotionally manipulative. Try not talking to them for a week and they'll start guilt tripping you. Glad I'm leaving their needy asses for a deserted island. :mad:

Blathers being able to blather again is a good sign imo.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

This YouTube account has a bunch of old GameCube gameplay videos. Here's a collection of some of the animals sounding off on poor Jeff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rg5cbbeLmY

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

One thing that isn't shown in the video is misfortune of being straight up mugged by a peppy villagers.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I think as an adult its easier to appreciate the diversity of personality the older villagers had, but I'm pretty sure most kids playing the game don't wanna be straight up insulted.

Which is what the angry villagers did. because they were pricks.

phourniner
Feb 19, 2007

When you're in a town like this all covered with smoke, you forget that there's a world outside. Nothing amazing happens here. And you get used to that, used to a world where everything is ordinary. Every day we spend here is like a whole lifetime of dying slowly.

Yeah, I'm sure the helicopter moms and dads of 2020 wouldn't be very happy with villagers telling your kid to eat poo poo all the time.

man, the early 2000s were the good old days

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I've only played New Leaf but I did get the impression they flattened out villager characterisation, though they did at least add two more personality types. (Smug and what the wikis apparently call Uchi because they can't be arsed figuring out a translation for what's basically 'honorary big sister') Muffy was pretty much the best.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jet Jaguar posted:

This YouTube account has a bunch of old GameCube gameplay videos. Here's a collection of some of the animals sounding off on poor Jeff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rg5cbbeLmY

Man those animals are dicks

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

phourniner posted:

Yeah, I'm sure the helicopter moms and dads of 2020 wouldn't be very happy with villagers telling your kid to eat poo poo all the time.

man, the early 2000s were the good old days

The whole reason the villagers aren't like that anymore is the parents in the 2000s complained you loving goon.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

A Sometimes Food posted:

The whole reason the villagers aren't like that anymore is the parents in the 2000s complained you loving goon.

And the parents complained because their kids were genuinely upset.

Like I said, its real appreciate that kind of writing as an adult. As a kid though? The villagers are just being loving assholes and that's not really what you expect coming into such a cutesy, happy game like AC.

I dunno how you would strike a balance.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Lmao are we really gonna Everyone Gets a Trophy Generation about Animal Crossing?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Hot take: rear end in a top hat villagers are lame and un-cozy.

New Leaf villagers were totally full of personality. I loved grumpy villagers who gave you a hard time but let you know it was okay. They were still gruff and had a hard time delivering a straight compliment. They had their own vibe, totally different from Lazy or Jock or Smug villagers. They just didn't ever say things to make you feel like poo poo out of the blue.

And that's good.

This is Animal Crossing.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

The long wait is beginning to take its toll in this thread

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Eiba posted:

Hot take: rear end in a top hat villagers are lame and un-cozy.

New Leaf villagers were totally full of personality. I loved grumpy villagers who gave you a hard time but let you know it was okay. They were still gruff and had a hard time delivering a straight compliment. They had their own vibe, totally different from Lazy or Jock or Smug villagers. They just didn't ever say things to make you feel like poo poo out of the blue.

And that's good.

This is Animal Crossing.

My prediction that nerds would complain was 100% accurate. The villagers had plenty of personality. I’m sure there are entire other genres of Japanese games you can play if you want half-animal people to call you names and tell you what a piece of poo poo you are.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Captain Monkey posted:

I’m sure there are entire other genres of [Chinese] games you can play if you want half-animal people to call you names and tell you what a piece of poo poo you are.

We welcome you all with open arms in the Arknights thread

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

It's kind of important to keep in mind that the video highlights rude interactions and none of the more upbeat ones. Like half of them the player is approaching them when they're pissed or when they're purposely pestering them to make them mad.

Villagers are nice to you in the gamecube version, it's just not like New Leaf where everyone is the twitch smile emoji all the time. (For the record I loved New Leaf, the villagers being constantly happy and kinda dull and samey is my only real complaint)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I specfically remember child me hating all cranky villagers and doing my best to make sure they were never in my town because they made me upset.

Some of that might of been self-inflicted, I'll admit. I mailed a lot of garbage to Oxford to try and make him move.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
My Cranky villager was the samurai kangaroo and he was my best friend.

Is it too early for a gang tag?

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Electric Phantasm posted:

One thing that isn't shown in the video is misfortune of being straight up mugged by a peppy villagers.

For me it was a snooty. Mathilda the kangaroo came to me asking if the "school blackboard" she just found was mine. I'd never seen it before, but of course I said yes. She seemed pleased to return it to me, and helped herself to a modest finder's fee to the tune of half the money I had on-hand, something like 100,000 bells.

I kicked her out of town as soon as I could, and started keeping spare bell bags in my letters after that.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Last Visible Dog posted:

For me it was a snooty. Mathilda the kangaroo came to me asking if the "school blackboard" she just found was mine. I'd never seen it before, but of course I said yes. She seemed pleased to return it to me, and helped herself to a modest finder's fee to the tune of half the money I had on-hand, something like 100,000 bells.

I kicked her out of town as soon as I could, and started keeping spare bell bags in my letters after that.

You lied and got what was coming to you, no sympathy

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

The only logical course of action here is to offer a day-one optional DLC that allows the animals to swear

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Now in the year 2020 you can just smite villagers you don't like with the amiibo cards I guess. Actually that's a good question does it still force a villager to leave if you scan a card and have them move like in New Leaf? Because in New Leaf the Genie or whomever that was more or less magically convinced the villager you hated to leave so your new friend could come in.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

History Comes Inside! posted:

You lied and got what was coming to you, no sympathy

Sometimes they wouldn't even take no for an answer in the first iterations of the series. Especially if you had an item that they were trying to buy/trade off of you. Resetting was, in those cases the only form of defense against the villagers of old.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Animal Crossing where they bring back rear end in a top hat animals and you're the town's union leader.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

This a-little-bit-more-than-two-weeks wait feels crippling right now.

At least the new AC switch releasing a week beforehand will be nice to get everything set up and carried over from my current system, versus spending a bunch of time on AC release messing with it.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I've yet to come up with a good name for my island; this is very distressing.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Montalvo posted:

Call it Montalvo, it's a good name for an island.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Call it Pair o' Dice and terraform your island accordingly.

vanisher
Jul 12, 2005

Fun Shoe
From the pictures released animals are doing all kinds of stuff around town, so it feels like there will be more depth when talking to them too. What if an animal asks to go fishing with you and you both run around fishing, do you just never put the game down and die at your switch?

I'm just realizing that I relied on the little pen a lot with ACNL and will probably need to get a stylus.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Montalvo posted:

Isla Sorna.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I know at least for Resetti, in a couple games they actually had to have notes in the manual saying "Hey this guy's gonna yell at you if you don't save and he's kinda mean"

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I think I want to name my island The Doldrums but I have no idea if it will fit.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

vanisher posted:

From the pictures released animals are doing all kinds of stuff around town, so it feels like there will be more depth when talking to them too. What if an animal asks to go fishing with you and you both run around fishing, do you just never put the game down and die at your switch?

I'm just realizing that I relied on the little pen a lot with ACNL and will probably need to get a stylus.

Biggest thing about this is that it might just be cosmetic. Villagers in New Leaf would walk around fruit orchards with fishing equipment just to look busy and would never actually do anything- or stand still in the fishing animation doomed to never leave unless you do a screen transition

I see villagers holding stuff in NH but not actually doing anything yet.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Montalvo posted:

Same. I've had some ideas but I'm suddenly remembering that character limits are a thing and I'm getting worried.

I don't suppose we know how long our island names are allowed to be? :ohdear:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I was wondering that earlier, eight seems comically short and I was blown away by that when I started up New Leaf again. Hopefully at least a few more than that.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I am going to name my Island Myst Island and fill it full of puzzles that don’t make sense.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Alright naming my island Vvardenfell.