Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Horizon Burning posted:

this is precisely what happens all throughout history jfc lmao

Exactly. It's not like Franz Ferdinand getting whacked by Young Bosnia was huge in and of itself, but it did kickstart WWI and thus WWII.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its just a couple of white guys in boats going up and down our coasts looking for stuff to trade, itll be fine.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

In light of all this chaos, maybe the chancellor does need some emergency powers to maintain order?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The TROS novelization also reveals that Palpatine transferred his consciousness into the clone on Exogol as he was falling down the Death Star shaft, and the reason he’s even crustier was because his clone body wasn’t quite ready, yet.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Releasing the novelization and finalizing the record after the movie has released and fan response has been gauged is an act of supreme cowardice

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

He had the means to send a clone-puppet to the second death star on his behalf but he chose to visit the space station with a 100 percent explosion rate

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

General Dog posted:

Releasing the novelization and finalizing the record after the movie has released and fan response has been gauged is an act of supreme cowardice

Notably, all novelizations prior to Disney were released well in advance of their movies, which makes them interesting as they often preserve details from older drafts of the movie, such as Yoda being blue in ESB, and all the deleted scenes from ANH.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

General Dog posted:

they did it with TLJ, too

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The only book versions you need to read of Star Wars is the epic poem version in the style of Beowulf.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Hwaet! There are mythic heroes on both sides.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Gonz posted:

The TROS novelization also reveals that Palpatine transferred his consciousness into the clone on Exogol as he was falling down the Death Star shaft, and the reason he’s even crustier was because his clone body wasn’t quite ready, yet.

lmao I hope they at least threw a little money at Tom Veitch

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
i can't get over how bad the writing is in just about every EU release since the disney acquisition. a lot of the old EU was, like, boringly competent. so many of the new EU book feel like they're written with no oversight and by people who aren't even really sure how to write a good sentence. maybe disney's hiring whatever author they can get who will do it for peanuts.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Based on my experience working with Disney its because the books are a sub rounding error of profits and nobody cares whats in them as long as they sell so somebody is getting a bonus to keep them coming and cheap.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
The books under Disney are a brand management exercise meant to paper over any criticisms hardcore fans make of the films

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

OctoberCountry posted:

lmao I hope they at least threw a little money at Tom Veitch

So wait, if he transferred his consciousness into an unfinished clone, why didn't he just make another clone and do it again once it was finished? The man had 30 years.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
I think the idea is that none of the clones are ready. The spirit hopping process decays whatever clone vessel he goes into. So after 30 years, he's ready to jump ship into Rey. He then discovers the dyad can rejuvenate the clone body in ways he never could before.

So basically/exactly Dark Empire. Except there's no ancient Jedi to grab his spirit and take it to the afterlife as he dies. lol

I don't mind the explanation, it makes sense. I think I would have appreciated them possibly also referencing the explosion of blue flames in RotJ. Either as a side effect of his spirit leaving his body or it being when his body "died".

Edit: Also I'm reading on other leaks that Palpatine's son is also apparently a clone? Of Sheev? He's was a stable clone, but lacked any Force abilties so wasn't a good vessel. The son did have offspring though which was gifted in the Force. So technically Rey is Palpatine's daughter in a way.

Teek fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 4, 2020

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

Zoran posted:

The books under Disney are a brand management exercise meant to paper over any criticisms hardcore fans make of the films

Isn't that what most of the old EU stuff was for?

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Horizon Burning posted:

i can't get over how bad the writing is in just about every EU release since the disney acquisition. a lot of the old EU was, like, boringly competent. so many of the new EU book feel like they're written with no oversight and by people who aren't even really sure how to write a good sentence. maybe disney's hiring whatever author they can get who will do it for peanuts.

I think it's less a drop and quality and more of a change in style. The 90s EU books were mostly written by cheap authors who had only ever pumped out paperback sci-fi and RPG sourcebooks. Most of the modern books are all written by authors who have only ever put out YA novels.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

A Force ability clone deteriorating would also at least explain/justify why they don't just clone Jedi all the time if something inherent in the Force makes clone bodies break down like that.

Spoiler dump from Reddit from someone who listened to a podcast who has the novelization. I've highlighed the bits I like that I wish were in the movie:

Reddit person posted:

I’ll try and update as I listen: - So after Palpatine realises that Ben and Rey are the dyad, he reminisces about the time when he wanted to create a Dyad between himself and Anakin. Darth Plagueis also wanted a Dyad between himself and Palpatine. This is because the power of the Dyad is just so powerful, more so than any Rule of 2 concept. Except Palpatine and Plagueis obviously failed. Ben and Rey’s Dyad is referred to “their power”.

Leia doesn’t want to make same mistake with Rey as she did with Ben, so wont send her away.

Kylo says he wants to rule side by side with Rey when Palps orders him to kill her. Kylo had no intention of killing her. Kylo reconstructs his helmet because it’s a KOR tradition or something to wear the helmet. Kylo has to scavenges the pieces.

Kylo interrogates Chewie when he’s taken captive. Kylo goes into Chewie’s mind and Chewie is throwing memories at him. Han and Chewie when they’re young, Han and Leia cuddling baby Ben, target practice with blaster, Ben used to call him “Uncle Chewie”.

Lando has a missing daughter. Lando finds a holo disc in a secret compartment on the Falcon, the holo is of Chewie holding baby Ben. Baby Ben is giggling and pulling on his fur.

Rose and Rey scene. They’re clearly very good friends. They hug.

The reason why Leia’s health is deteriorating so quickly is because when she got blown out of space in TLJ there was damage done to her body.

Luke is speaking to Leia all throughout the book telling Leia it’s “time[to go]” she resists the whole book. She thinks about Luke’s last effort to save the resistance in Crait was his ultimate act of hope and sacrifice for Ben. Leia wants to talk to Ben one more time. Leia says something like “I’m Leia Organa Skywalker Solo” - she wants Rey to take up her Skywalker legacy, Ben to take up the Solo legacy, Poe to take up Organa legacy and with all her power she puts in her hope that this one last time will bring Ben back, and it does.

Rey is already building her own lightsaber.

There is so much Reylo in the book, when you get to the kiss, “gratitude” is used becus he just brought her back to life, but there is so much How they feel about each other, what they think about each other, feels like a straight up YA novel.

‪Finn and Rey referred to as friends lots of times. Force sensitive Finn still not outright but heavily implied. Rey mindtricks Finn in Pasaana. Rey knows Kylo is coming and Finn doesn’t want Rey to go, so Rey has to mindtrick him. ‬

Finn worried about Rey a lot. Says “They started their friendship saving each other”. Rey says something like “Finn would have been a great Jedi” ( host paraphrasing)

As part of his contingency, Palpatine prepared a clone before being yeeted down the shaft as he sensed the flicker of light within Vader. Before his body hit the ground he had learned to project his essence into one of the Clones. This was an imperfect clone. Palpatines son (Rey’s father) is also a clone. The son is one of the clone projects of Palpatine, because they kept trying to make a body for Palps to contain his power. The son is a perfect bodied clone. Palpatine hated the son for being a failure as he had no Force abilities. Palpatine wanted Rey because she was... naturally conceived?

There is also somthn about Plageuis trying to create a clone and failing or something. Lol Clone obsessed!

in the book, they explain a lot more about force-healing; rey learns it from healing luke's kyber crystal; also, it is said that she would've given her whole self just to bring back kylo after she stabbed him. ben's thought process during that moment: it all clicks for him there, he understands that his mom, his dad and his uncle sacrificed themselves to help him and that rey would've done the same if she had to, and that's when he turns (or starts to seek redemption).

Lando says the First Order specifically targeted the heroes of the rebellion & stole their children. His daughter was taken and as far as he was aware she was a stormtrooper (hinted it could be Jannah but not confirmed).Lando says they also corrupted Han and Leia’s son as well.

Teek fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 4, 2020

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

quote:

She did not mourn Kylo Ren. She would never mourn Kylo Ren. But she dearly would have loved the chance to get to know Ben Solo.
No, stop that. You are not a parody. You are not allowed to mock the readers.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
The implication in ROS itself that Palpatine’s body just somehow survived the explosion but had to be zombified by black magic/forbidden science is way cooler.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I know soul transfer was something that had already appeared in the old EU, but it was a terrible element to introduce then, and it is now as well. At some point, dead needs to mean dead. Now, no one's ever really gone.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015

Teek posted:

So basically/exactly Dark Empire. Except there's no ancient Jedi to grab his spirit and take it to the afterlife as he dies. lol

You know, they could have all those dudes retaining their individuality as Force ghosts drag him into the Force along with them. Two birds with one stone.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Emrikol posted:

You know, they could have all those dudes retaining their individuality as Force ghosts drag him into the Force along with them. Two birds with one stone.

It certainly would have been a way to give Anakin back some agency as the Chosen One. The Jedi of old try to come in and drag Palpatine's spirit down, and only Anakin has the power to drag his spirit to hell.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

General Dog posted:

I know soul transfer was something that had already appeared in the old EU, but it was a terrible element to introduce then, and it is now as well. At some point, dead needs to mean dead. Now, no one's ever really gone.

If you want to just super establish that someone is definitely, absolutely dead, you have to out right cut them in half.

Anyone can understand that you don't come back from that.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Schwarzwald posted:

If you want to just super establish that someone is definitely, absolutely dead, you have to out right cut them in half.

Anyone can understand that you don't come back from that.

Now where's my ten-part epic fantasy adventure featuring Maul's Legs?

Why does only his torso get any attention?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

General Dog posted:

I think the book is at least portraying the whole soul transfer thing as what Palpatine was talking about, in ROTS, that Plagueis had discovered as a way to "cheat death", and it's implied he's basically the only person who ever figured out how to do it, so now the secret will die with Sheev. Which is a little better, and ties it back to ROTS. I just wish they had included it in the movie, somehow.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

I think the book is at least portraying the whole soul transfer thing as what Palpatine was talking about, in ROTS, that Plagueis had discovered as a way to "cheat death", and it's implied he's basically the only person who ever figured out how to do it, so now the secret will die with Sheev. Which is a little better, and ties it back to ROTS. I just wish they had included it in the movie, somehow.

How do we know Palpatine is even dead? And if he is, how do we know he didn’t write it down somewhere or put it in a holocron or something?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

General Dog posted:

How do we know Palpatine is even dead? And if he is, how do we know he didn’t write it down somewhere or put it in a holocron or something?

He's dead for sure. Until Episode XII when they change that, too.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

There’s always another clone.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Ian McDiarmid getting the Tarkin Treatment every six years post death seems about right.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

https://twitter.com/screenrant/status/1235373107692503040?s=19

It would have been amazing to see a wrinkly-rear end Sheev in those flashback scenes.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Wouldn’t that make Sheev genetically Rey's father?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
look here disney you of all people can't just turn around and say that palpatine does not, in fact, gently caress

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Zoran posted:

Wouldn’t that make Sheev genetically Rey's father?

Kind of? But I think biologically the son isn’t a 100% Sheev since he’s not Force sensitive.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Teek posted:

Kind of? But I think biologically the son isn’t a 100% Sheev since he’s not Force sensitive.

And also he is capable of loving

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Teek posted:

ah I suppose they forgot to clone his mcDNA (midichlorial DNA)

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
I'm gonna ignore that revelation because the thought of Sheev laying pipe like he's a plumber is much more entertaining that saying he made a clone.

Palpatines Fucks is Canon :colbert:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Palpatine can clone himself and also be a kind, passionate - yet forceful when necessary, or asked - lover who dumps the fattest loads in the galaxy far far away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Unlimited Powah