Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Look, Barett is Cloud's new Dad, not his lover. IMHO.

I look forward to Barrett slowly toning things down as the game progresses.

But so far him and Cloud is A+

Edit: Also I knew that was Badger playing Wedge. Another A+ voice casting choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

AngryRobotsInc posted:

The elevator speech didn't seem much more than what was originally there. I definitely read it from the original as him going on a rant.

It really helps sell the "get help" and makes the whole thing funnier.

Gotta admit they did a pretty good job with the demo part. I don't even mind AVALANCHE being controlled opposition for Shinra, that actually works pretty well. I don't see how it changes that much of the game, Barrett and co. are still trying to blow up a power plant, they're just way in over their heads.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

:psyduck: so many people who don't realize shinra blew up the reactor in the original game too

Talk to Jessie in the inn after the first bombing run and she tells you she must have made a mistake with the bomb, it went off way bigger than it should have. And Shinra implies the same thing with his waste of fireworks comment on the second bombing run

It's a lot more subtle in the first game and a lot of the comments in this thread so far is a good example of why square made it much more clearer this time around

Oh. Well then!

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Mar 3, 2020

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
But yeah the BWONK sound effect for the elevator is sorely missed.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So, here's a thing. Heid mentions that Avalanch might be the same group that attacked President Shinra in the past. In Before Crisis (I know, shut it) Avalanch is behind an assassination attempt on him. While, hopefully, it's just a cute reference But perhaps not, as I've seen some datamined leaks from the former unreleased demo using Deepground as a name, which makes me hope it's JUST cute references and nothing more it is also "Hey, world building"

EDIT: when you're on Discord too much...

Onmi fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Mar 3, 2020

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Onmi posted:

So, here's a thing. Heid mentions that Avalanch might be the same group that attacked President Shinra in the past. In Before Crisis (I know, shut it) Avalanch is behind an assassination attempt on him. While, hopefully, it's just a cute reference But perhaps not, as I've seen some datamined leaks from the former unreleased demo using Deepground as a name, which makes me hope it's JUST cute references and nothing more it is also "Hey, world building"
I thought much the same. (Also lol || is for Discord and [spoiler] is for these boards)

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Kith posted:

It was pretty heavily implied in the original that Shinra were the ones who blew the reactor. Jessie straight-up says in the hideout that she was confused/concerned that her bomb managed to deal so much damage, and then later Rufus talks about how his dad ruled by fear. I think the reveal itself is good, but it definitely could have been placed/timed better.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

:psyduck: so many people who don't realize shinra blew up the reactor in the original game too

Talk to Jessie in the inn after the first bombing run and she tells you she must have made a mistake with the bomb, it went off way bigger than it should have. And Shinra implies the same thing with his waste of fireworks comment on the second bombing run

It's a lot more subtle in the first game and a lot of the comments in this thread so far is a good example of why square made it much more clearer this time around

Is it really so unreasonable to assume that Jessie botches the bomb just like she later botches the ID cards?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Is it really so unreasonable to assume that Jessie botches the bomb just like she later botches the ID cards?

I mean... it's hard to botch a bomb that goes from "Small explosion that can blow up a room" to "Blow up an entire plate basically." Which is the result of the explosion here which is the setting of Chapter 2, where you see that EVERYTHING is hosed up beyond all get out

Onmi fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Mar 3, 2020

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt
I think the ‘twist’ at the end is fine It’s just that it being laid out so explicitly to the audience is what’s sucks, that should have come later and just undercuts the tension that could have been built imho

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The problem with the "they didn't actually kill any innocent people" view is that Cait Sith later explicitly calls out Barret on killing innocent people. Reeve obviously knew what was going on and it's an important part of Barret's character that at one point he was so consumed by rage that he could justify murderous terrorism.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

NikkolasKing posted:

The problem with the "they didn't actually kill any innocent people" view is that Cait Sith later explicitly calls out Barret on killing innocent people. Reeve obviously knew what was going on and it's an important part of Barret's character that at one point he was so consumed by rage that he could justify murderous terrorism.

This.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt

NikkolasKing posted:

:hmmyes:

Bang on

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I mean, Barret is still setting bombs that can kill people, and he's down with the big explosions. Their missions have them killing lots of guards that were just doing their jobs. Even a laser-precise bomb that takes down power for a section of the city will likely kill people, what with traffic lights getting knocked out, hospitals without power, etc. It's not a stretch to say AVALANCE is still a bunch of dangerous terrorists that was likely responsible for innocent deaths.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
That argument makes no sense to me. Despite Jesse mentioning her potential error in the original at no point does anyone directly confirm to the party that the excessive damage was not their fault, to my knowledge at least. There are some hints possibly, but not only believing you killed a lot of innocents with your actions, but believing that it was because you made a mistake is potentially much more emotionally devastating. It plays in to the Dyne arc (he isn't dead, suprise!), showing that Barret tends to take things at face value.

Either way the outcome is the same, Barrett believes he has innocent blood on his hands. Traditionaly Barret is also seen as taking an overwhelming amount of responsibility, even this demo plays up the angle, so even if he knew "the truth" he might well still hold himself accountable for deaths. He might have anticipated and accepted some collateral, but the level that occurs is far beyond reasonable. Similar narrative structure has been used in cinema and literature for many year, I don't see why SquareEnix wouldn't tap into a reliable and useful source of drama. It would be a good way to add more depth to Barret and the foundation eas always there.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

Counterpoint, they do kill innocent people, and the fact that the bomb blew up all of Sector 8 in NO WAY makes Barret change his plans. Shinra escalating the issue certainly makes Avalanch seem more impressive, but they still kill plenty of innocent people to do their terrorism.

Like if the game stops and they got "Haha we actually killed all those people!" You might have a point, but since it won't... you're still responsible for the deaths of innocents.

Like.. Barret still is, even if Shinra's the one who blew it up, guess what? Shinra wouldn't have blown it up if Barret hadn't done it. Just like Barret blames himself for the Sector 7 plate drop, because even though Shinra dropped it, it was a result of his actions.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Barret being just fine with it is also a believable option, he kinda wavers back and forth in morality.

Also, showing us the twist in the beginning is refreshing compared to the weak rear end "it was me all along ha ha here is a flash back explaining it" option some things take. It's like Columbo where you always see the crime first. We know what's coming because of a 25 years of meta textuality and experience. The characters don't. We are watching their journey, not ours.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

So we have a bit of time scale in that Airsweeper and the Sector 5 Bombing Run are Chapter 7

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

some Guard Scorpion experimentation

- Phase 2 can be ended early by using fire on the core. the core's immune to lightning, but the bot isn't.
- Barrets focused shot consumes ALL his ATB, but a two-bar shot deals around 60% stagger. so he and Cloud can force a quick stagger to skip Phase 3.
- In the final phase, taking down a leg immediately brings the boss to around 80% stagger. So use Punisher and Overcharge to quickly whittle it down, and then use your ATB on stagger phase to get the quick kill.
- Use your limit breaks at the END of Stagger Phase. As it automatically brings it to an end, as does pushing a phase.
- Switch between your characters. They gather ATB so slowly AI controlled, you need to be swapping between Cloud and Barret to get their ATB up and then coordinate their attacks to drive the Stagger gauge to full.

You can kill Guard Scorpion in around 2-4 minutes by using his weaknesses and learning your abilities.

This is the sign by the way of a good action game. Because your first fight with Guard Scorpion, Oh it takes so long to kill him, but if you learn your abilities and how they work on the boss, you can utterly crush it.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Mar 3, 2020

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Was anyone else taking a lot of seemingly unavoidable damage? Are you meant to have to chug quite a few potions? I think I used around 10 throughout the demo.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

RatHat posted:

Was anyone else taking a lot of seemingly unavoidable damage? Are you meant to have to chug quite a few potions? I think I used around 10 throughout the demo.

Yeah I had that. I wasn't sure how much of it I was supposed to be able to block through, but there were a lot of attacks that couldn't be evaded.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

RatHat posted:

I'm fairly certain this is intended, especially with how liberal they were with giving out the potions, as well as MP restores so you can use magic more often. I don't think it's supposed to be the type of action game where you can just dodge out of all damage.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I agree, but I also think there's a fair bit of damage that you can avoid but will need some more experience with the system and controls ala Kingdom Hearts data fights.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Just got done playing the demo, I thought it was pretty cool. The combat system feels nice and it's basically FF7 as your 12-year old self remembers it. Seems like Avalanche will play a larger role in Act 1, which is cool because I liked them in the original game. I also appreciate Barret's enormously tryhard voice actor, who reads all his lines with the same intensity of someone who grew up playing FF7 and imagined what Barret would sound like.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

One thing I liked a lot was that Cloud was explicitly hired to do all the fighting for them, as they admit it's not their speciality. And he's really good at it! His "That's my line," quip was good.

Game good.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I enjoyed the demo way more than I expected to. Considering how much of a clusterfuck FFXV was on PS4 I expected this to look and run terribly but it's beautiful and silky smooth.

I'm still not on board with splitting the story into an indeterminate number of chapters, and the fact that they haven't advertised this as "part 1" or committed a plan for future installments is scummy as hell.

I'll wait for reviews. If they manage to maintain this level of fun and make it feel like a full game without going down the Hobbit route of overstuffing it with any old poo poo, then I'll pick it up at launch. Otherwise I'll wait until it's £20.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm going to guess three parts total. After Midgar there's a lot of filler that they can easily gut or change. There's the Kalm flashback, then not really any actual major story beat until the Gold Saucer followed by Cosmo Canyon. They could end the second part after the Temple of the Ancients, the Ancient City in the North or the summoning of Meteor.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
They could theoretically do the Kalm flashback in this game. But I agree that they could cut out or merge some events/places.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Square is probably hoping to recoup their bazillion dollar investment through asset reuse so expect many playable flashbacks.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
I have not once in the previous 20 years heard anyone speculate that Avalanche didnt cause the big explosion using Jessie's comments as evidence. Its only now with this game's revelation that people are saying it was there and subtle all along. I call bullshit.

Her comments and everything else after in the original imply she screwed up the bomb and it was larger than intended. Nowhere is there even a hint that Shinra did it.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Part 2 ends with Aerith dies absolutely and without a doubt.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

TommyGun85 posted:

I have not once in the previous 20 years heard anyone speculate that Avalanche didnt cause the big explosion using Jessie's comments as evidence. Its only now with this game's revelation that people are saying it was there and subtle all along. I call bullshit.

Her comments and everything else after in the original imply she screwed up the bomb and it was larger than intended. Nowhere is there even a hint that Shinra did it.

Also she's really enthusiastic and wants the next bomb to be even bigger.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

canepazzo posted:

Part 2 ends with Aerith dies absolutely and without a doubt.

Part 3 starts with you snowboarding

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I hope the full game lets you adjust the materia situation. It kinda feels like they gave Barrett the thunder materia specifically so that you're not just using Cloud in the boss fight.

I didn't even consider that we wouldn't get the full on materia system in some way. It'd be incredibly depressing if you can't, although with this being more of an action game I guess that is possible :smith:

I wanna have ridiculous materia combos like the old days!

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Macaluso posted:

Part 3 starts with you snowboarding

But with Aerith’s theme still playing while you do sick tricks

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

NikkolasKing posted:

Once again, "they didn't actually kill any innocent people" isn't really in the cards here. They did plant a bomb. The bomb went off. People could very easily die as a result of that. Shinra knowing about it doesn't instantly make the freedom fighters into pacifists.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Detective No. 27 posted:

I hope the full game lets you adjust the materia situation. It kinda feels like they gave Barrett the thunder materia specifically so that you're not just using Cloud in the boss fight.

You didn't get access to adjusting materia until you got out of Reactor 1. We already know Materia customization, along with weapon customization, are main systems in the game.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

One thing to consider is that whether the bomb explosion was huge or not, Avalanche still killed their way to get to the reactor core. Cloud's first fight in the game is against two guards, even.

exquisite tea posted:

I also appreciate Barret's enormously tryhard voice actor, who reads all his lines with the same intensity of someone who grew up playing FF7 and imagined what Barret would sound like.

Barret trying really hard to impress Cloud was just :3:.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I remember some speculation was that they were gonna change the Shinra soldiers to robots/drones so that Cloud wasn't mowing down humans on his way to the reactor. I'm glad that was wrong.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
jessie, throughout: "when this is over i am going to gently caress the blue out of this man's eyes"

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

jessie, throughout: "when this is over i am going to gently caress the blue out of this man's eyes"

Yeah she owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Detective No. 27 posted:

I remember some speculation was that they were gonna change the Shinra soldiers to robots/drones so that Cloud wasn't mowing down humans on his way to the reactor. I'm glad that was wrong.

During the escape sequence right after Cloud and Barret rendezvoused, there was this bit where they fought against some guards, and Cloud's combos could send them flying past the railing, which was kind of a grisly way to go.