Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Bardeh posted:

My boss came in this morning (small business, he owns it) and told us flat out that if we have to self-isolate 'you can gently caress off if you think I'm paying you.'

Cool I hope he catches it and dies because all of his sick employees had no choice but to come in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Ash Crimson posted:

Is it any wonder why us scots want to get away from these

Look at this mewch who hasn't run across the Scottish aristocracy

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
This sort of scenario is a good justification for a universal basic income.

Government could order everyone to stay home.

If UBI = NMW £8.72 (? didn't check), 35 hours pw, approx 30million of working age, est cost £9bn per week.
Some employers might pay on top of that.

Or alternatively issue ration books / have army deliver rations or whatever and pay a lower rate. (During the Egyptian revolution, there was a 3pm curfew. Every night the army would come and fill up the shelves in the local shops - but you couldn't buy anything because there was no cash in the ATMs and card use in shops was quite minimal then).

I'm surprised (not really) that there doesn't seem to be a contingency plan that they could more or less pull off the shelf - every local authority has a Disaster Management department I think?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i am on team "if the boss doesn't let me stay home with enough money and survive i'm coming in and coughing on everything he owns". neotyphoid mary. easy for me to say that given i get paid sick leave, but i don't begrudge anyone who gets anyone else sick for some lovely manager's idiot decision.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

This sort of scenario is a good justification for a universal basic income.

Government could order everyone to stay home.

If UBI = NMW £8.72 (? didn't check), 35 hours pw, approx 30million of working age, est cost £9bn per week.
Some employers might pay on top of that.

Or alternatively issue ration books / have army deliver rations or whatever and pay a lower rate. (During the Egyptian revolution, there was a 3pm curfew. Every night the army would come and fill up the shelves in the local shops - but you couldn't buy anything because there was no cash in the ATMs and card use in shops was quite minimal then).

I'm surprised (not really) that there doesn't seem to be a contingency plan that they could more or less pull off the shelf - every local authority has a Disaster Management department I think?

They won't have been reviewed in a decade and will probably make references to a Soviet invasion risk.

The plans announced today will be the best they've got at the moment and that is basically just 'react to something when our stupidly fragile system snaps'

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Saros posted:

People saying woe is us we will all eventually get the coronavirus really need to stop. Frankly it's not helpful.

Thanks for this. I've been thinking much the same but all the doomsaying has been getting me twitchy too so I don't even want to think about what it's doing to some people. My mum is outright panicking to the point it's making her sick. She's always had pretty major anxiety issues so not representative but still the sensationalism isn't helpful.

To add to your points I'd also say that it's a mistake to assume infection patterns in the UK will follow a similar pattern to China. There are far more opportunities for transmission there - hygeine practices are less developed (see any squat toilet), hand-wash and toilet roll are rarely provided, spitting in the street isn't considered particularly rude, dorm style living arrangements are very common especially amongst students and young workers, meals are generally taken communally with everyone sticking their chopsticks into the same central bowls. None of this is a value judgement, and I actually prefer this approach in many respects, but it does present major challenges for preventing contagion. Even in China, the quarantine is working and cases are dropping off. Its going to get worse, but it will get better. This isn't an end-of-the-world scenario, just a particularly bad flu season.

TLDR: brits are a bunch of depressed antisocial assholes and that might be what saves us lol

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Mar 3, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

but you couldn't buy anything because there was no cash in the ATMs and card use in shops was quite minimal then.
Not even as cheque guarantee cards?

In the 90s (and even into the 00s for smaller newsagents and corner shops) most of them wouldn't take card directly, but they'd only take cheque with guarantee, either through using an imprinting machine to whack your debit card imprint on the back of your cheque or just asking you to write the numbers on.

It was popular the week before payday because you get (got, at any rate) a few days before clearance, and you can postdate a cheque (with the agreement of both parties, the newsagent would normally pay them in at the end of the week).

ThomasPaine posted:

hygeine practices are less developed
otoh I just saw this in the maps thread and this is a filthy country

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Guavanaut posted:

Not even as cheque guarantee cards?

In the 90s (and even into the 00s for smaller newsagents and corner shops) most of them wouldn't take card directly, but they'd only take cheque with guarantee, either through using an imprinting machine to whack your debit card imprint on the back of your cheque or just asking you to write the numbers on.

It was popular the week before payday because you get (got, at any rate) a few days before clearance, and you can postdate a cheque (with the agreement of both parties, the newsagent would normally pay them in at the end of the week).

otoh I just saw this in the maps thread and this is a filthy country

Who are these monsters wearing shoes in the house?!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I don't know, but there's more of them than there are of us.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I know literally nobody who wears shoes in the house...

Is this a southern thing?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I don't even want to imagine the twisted and disgusting personage of someone who doesn't take their shoes off around the house, or, even worse, when visiting other's houses.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
This map is worse than the brexit vote map.
Shoes in the house?!

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
It must be the Brexit voters tbh

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

There have been times where I just forgot to take my shoes off when I got home but I don't think it's really a regular occurrence. It's too wet here to get away with traipsing around the house with shoes on when you've just been out.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I will grant that it is, at least, acceptable in antarctica.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

I wear shoes in the house because feet are disgusting you horrible sex weirds

Ash Crimson posted:

Is it any wonder why us scots want to get away from these

gently caress offffffff if you think these exact types of people don’t exist in Scotland

Melissa McCarthyism posted:

I don't know why I'm posting this here, but 3 months of Post Viral Fatigue and mounting debts have forced me to seek help. I'm attending my first counselling session today. I've been keeping so many things to myself instead of reaching out for help. I guess this post is a reach out for help, in of itself. I've suffered 8 years of PTSD, low mood, sleep trouble, random spurts of uncontrollable rage. It's a lot of weight to carry. And I'm very tired

I'm considering asking to be put onto antidepressants, I've been on Citalopram before - Made me an emotion zombie. Put me off. But I think I need something.

I’m glad you’re getting help and I hope you feel better now that the support is starting to form around you.

Medication for brain stuff can be scary at first but so long as you follow the directions of your doctor, you will eventually find the right one for managing your symptoms, don’t be afraid to tell them it isn’t working if it’s not.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

VideoGames posted:

This map is worse than the brexit vote map.
Shoes in the house?!

You're all young, I think. Shoes off didn't happen before carpets became universal and even then took a while to spread. I mean old people would wear slippers in the evening for their own comfort, but nobody expected visitors to take their shoes off when they came through the door (I still don't).

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

ThomasPaine posted:

Thanks for this. I've been thinking much the same but all the doomsaying has been getting me twitchy too so I don't even want to think about what it's doing to some people. My mum is outright panicking to the point it's making her sick. She's always had pretty major anxiety issues so not representative but still the sensationalism isn't helpful.

To add to your points I'd also say that it's a mistake to assume infection patterns in the UK will follow a similar pattern to China. There are far more opportunities for transmission there - hygeine practices are less developed (see any squat toilet), hand-wash and toilet roll are rarely provided, spitting in the street isn't considered particularly rude, dorm style living arrangements are very common especially amongst students and young workers, meals are generally taken communally with everyone sticking their chopsticks into the same central bowls. None of this is a value judgement, and I actually prefer this approach in many respects, but it does present major challenges for preventing contagion. Even in China, the quarantine is working and cases are dropping off. Its going to get worse, but it will get better. This isn't an end-of-the-world scenario, just a particularly bad flu season.

TLDR: brits are a bunch of depressed antisocial assholes and that might be what saves us lol

Frankly I have very little faith in the Chinese numbers but I am hopeful they have temporarily put a lid on the situation.

If people are concerned and have questions I am happy to try and answer them. I am not a doctor or a professional epidemiologist but I have degrees in microbiology and public health as well as working in vaccine development for a good chunk of my adult life.

Feast your eyes on the scramble to be the first to bring a Coronavirus vaccine to market.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Feet are disgusting and my sexual habits are none of your business but still take your shoes off (but not socks) in the house.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bardeh posted:

I don't even want to imagine the twisted and disgusting personage of someone who doesn't take their shoes off around the house, or, even worse, when visiting other's houses.
I'll make an exception if I'm working with power tools or if there's other people working in my house, because H&S outranks shoe etiquette.

I'll also make sure there's no poo poo on my shoes and clean up afterwards.

Clomping around the house in outdoor shoes regularly is just wrong though.

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Let me introduce you to socks. You can even get socks with funny pictures or words on to distract from the feet. You can get thick winter socks and light summer socks to cover your shame.

Oh dear me posted:

You're all young, I think. Shoes off didn't happen before carpets became universal and even then took a while to spread. I mean old people would wear slippers in the evening for their own comfort, but nobody expected visitors to take their shoes off when they came through the door (I still don't).
My nan was obsessive about shoes off, there's probably a cultural as well as practical dimension. Also boots back then would have horse poo poo on them.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

^socks are but one layer, two is better than one

Miftan posted:

Feet are disgusting and my sexual habits are none of your business but still take your shoes off (but not socks) in the house.

Stop trying to reduce the obstacles between you and my feet :mad:

Sanitary Naptime fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Mar 3, 2020

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Miftan posted:

Socks are not an odour- or sweat-proof barrier. I'd rather people traipsed a bit of mud onto my floors, at least I can sweep that up.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Sanitary Naptime posted:

gently caress offffffff if you think these exact types of people don’t exist in Scotland

They do indeed, but not in such concentrated, undiluted amounts, but you still cling to your belief that the entirety of the uk should suffer together rather than splitting off in hopes of affecting change, much in the same way a crab might doom it's compadres by dragging them down as they try to escape the pot

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It does mean an extra border between Miftan and your feet.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
shoes in the house. goodness.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
To you shoes-in-house-wearers - when someone comes to your house and starts taking their shoes off, as is only polite, do you then insist they put them back on?

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

I will trust you less but I won’t tell you to put them back on.

The polite thing would be to do as the person living there does, and I’ll take my shoes off in other peoples houses if they do, even if I think it’s weird.

Ash Crimson posted:

They do indeed, but not in such concentrated, undiluted amounts, but you still cling to your belief that the entirety of the uk should suffer together rather than splitting off in hopes of affecting change, much in the same way a crab might doom it's compadres by dragging them down as they try to escape the pot

Yes, instead let us stand atop them and ensure they cannot leave the pot. Your analogy doesn’t loving work here, along with every single attempt you make to go “Scottish people are so much better”, because you’re showing your bare arse a way gently caress you, got mine shithead at every opportunity.

Show some loving solidarity rather than trying to get smug about getting to abandon others you don’t give a gently caress about based purely on where they live.

You imbecile.

You idiot fucker moron.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Man, this is wild. There are people out there clomping around their house with shoes on all the time. What a world we live in.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Trin Tragula posted:

Extensive twitter thread on why Chapo can get tae gently caress, tl;dr:

I KNOW you didnt just post a 90 plus twitter thread meltdown in earnest

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Feet up on seats on public transport should be punished with amputation. Respect the train

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

It does mean an extra border between Miftan and your feet.

I guess Naptime is now pro-indy.

Oh dear me posted:

Socks are not an odour- or sweat-proof barrier. I'd rather people traipsed a bit of mud onto my floors, at least I can sweep that up.

You'd hope people would be self aware enough not to take them off right after the gym, yes. It's not like this is a hot country and that thing is just standard, though if it is for someone for some reason I can understand that.

Sanitary Naptime posted:

^socks are but one layer, two is better than one

Stop trying to reduce the obstacles between you and my feet :mad:

Just wait until you hear how we're recording the live episode :heysexy:

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Bardeh posted:

To you shoes-in-house-wearers - when someone comes to your house and starts taking their shoes off, as is only polite, do you then insist they put them back on?

No one ever comes into my flat and immediately starts removing their apparel - perhaps they are too afraid I'll take it the wrong way. People occasionally ask if they should take their shoes off, and I say no.

E:

Miftan posted:

You'd hope people would be self aware enough not to take them off right after the gym, yes. It's not like this is a hot country

Manual labourers still exist you know!

Oh dear me fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Mar 3, 2020

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Yes, instead let us stand atop them and ensure they cannot leave the pot. Your analogy doesn’t loving work here, along with every single attempt you make to go “Scottish people are so much better”, because you’re showing your bare arse a way gently caress you, got mine shithead at every opportunity.

Show some loving solidarity rather than trying to get smug about getting to abandon others you don’t give a gently caress about based purely on where they live.

You imbecile.

You idiot fucker moron.

So rather then trying to go down a route that is more realistic and actionable, you'd rather we just wait until England get's tired of it's centuries long obsession with being ruled by their supposed aristocratic and oligarchic betters, being ruled by tories and other melts. No amount of "Solidarity" is going to change the political reality south of the Scottish border

A solid plan.

I want action in my lifetime, not when we're all loving dead

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Miftan posted:

I guess Naptime is now pro-indy.

You'd hope people would be self aware enough not to take them off right after the gym, yes. It's not like this is a hot country and that thing is just standard, though if it is for someone for some reason I can understand that.

Just wait until you hear how we're recording the live episode :heysexy:

:gonk:

Thankfully feet aren’t nation states so it’s actually about quarantining horrible and disgusting things from people, until we can find out a way to replace them with comedy springs

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Do slippers count as shoes because if so then hell yeah shoes in the house

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Making other people take their shoes off is odd (though it is polite, I think, to do so if you're stopping) but taking your own shoes off when you come in is definitely the done thing. And my granny was the biggest stickler for it because she didn't want to clean the carpets.

Also unless you're filthy IMO feet are just bottom hands.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Mar 3, 2020

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Sanitary Naptime posted:

:gonk:

Thankfully feet aren’t nation states so it’s actually about quarantining horrible and disgusting things from people, until we can find out a way to replace them with comedy springs

We're replacing nigel farage with comedy springs???

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Ash Crimson posted:

So rather then trying to go down a route that is more realistic and actionable, you'd rather we just wait until England get's tired of it's centuries long obsession with being ruled by their supposed aristocratic and oligarchic betters, being ruled by tories and other melts. No amount of "Solidarity" is going to change the political reality south of the Scottish border

A solid plan.

I want action in my lifetime, not when we're all loving dead

Cool, playing up to that “England are all loving zombies” in a thread full of English socialists, very cool, extremely normal.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
If I don't take my shoes off when I go inside, how is anyone ever going to see my cool socks? In a world of permanent shoes, there would be no reason for comedy socks to exist, and that's a world I don't want to live in :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Demanding someone remove their shoes when they come into your house is a 10/10 power move imo