Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Wrr posted:

The motors need radio control units so they can radio your driving habits and personal data to FICSIT.

Something needs to actuate the motor, and I'm not touching physical controls like some kind of primitive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Wrr posted:

The motors need radio control units so they can radio your driving habits and personal data to FICSIT.

Why shouldn't I move screws?

Screws generally get consumed as fast as you make them until later, so there's not really a need to stockpile. Just slap a constructor in front of the assembler that needs 'em, and move iron rods to them (or iron ingots, if you have the super-cool alternate recipe!)

My last factory had several industrial storage full of the things, and there really wasn't a point because apparently I had other screw producers down in the part of the factory where We Don't Go No Mores and it was handling my current needs already.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Literally Kermit posted:

Screws generally get consumed as fast as you make them until later, so there's not really a need to stockpile. Just slap a constructor in front of the assembler that needs 'em, and move iron rods to them (or iron ingots, if you have the super-cool alternate recipe!)

My last factory had several industrial storage full of the things, and there really wasn't a point because apparently I had other screw producers down in the part of the factory where We Don't Go No Mores and it was handling my current needs already.

Also, screws are hilariously inefficient to move via belt. They stack in 500s, I think the recipe what requires the least still needs like 12, and 1 screw takes up as much belt space as anything else. So you end up needing to use your highest speed belts in the manufacturing process when every other intermediate finished good only needs a level 1 or a 2.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Hmm, I guess I was conceptualizing movement speed of belts incorrectly then? It isn't 60/m a minute or whatever, its 60 stacks (be the stack 1 item or 500). That makes sense!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Yeah the issue with screws is that they consume way too much belt capacity to be efficient to move anything more than between adjacent machines. Even with Mk4 belts you cannot move one full stack of screws per minute. Mk4 belts into a train station will still be limited to 960 screws/min per platform/car.
The other day I set up a heavy frames factory that uses around 3000 screws/min, and its production isn't even that great.

Move the ingots (or iron rods, if you haven't unlocked any alt recipes for screws yet) and produce them on site to save yourself the headaches. It's a factor 5 or more improvement in belt capacity efficiency.

And no, belts move single items, never stacks.
Every case of screws you see on a belt is one item, you need 500 of those cases to pass by to have a single stack.It takes more than 8 minutes for a Mk1 belt to move one stack of screws.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Wrr posted:

Hmm, I guess I was conceptualizing movement speed of belts incorrectly then? It isn't 60/m a minute or whatever, its 60 stacks (be the stack 1 item or 500). That makes sense!

No, you had it right- it's 60 *items* a minute. The reason screws are terrible on belts is you often had a recipe that needs (I'm making this up for an example) 120 screws a minute and 10 iron plates a minute. Even though screws stack up to 500 a slot and iron plates only stack up to 100 a slot, a single screw and a single iron plate take up the same space on a belt. So you'd need a mark 2 belt for your screws, but only a mark 1 belt for the plates (and you'd only be using 1/6th of the mark 1 belt).

Ultimately, because you have infinite resources, this doesn't matter unless you are requiring an input of screws faster than a single belt of the max level available can accommodate. But it's just much easier to make exactly (or very close to) however many screws you need next to where they will be used as opposed to building a huge screw distribution network.

Edit: so yeah, basically what the post above me said

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If they are going to make the model for plates be a stack of a few metal plates, and the model for screws be a giant bucket full of screws, they should really rethink the numbers needed for making things.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

A car has 8 engines and you can't convince me otherwise.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

All I know is it's not worth it to dump screws in my auto sorting system, just add them directly to the bin. Or the mulcher.

Speaking of the mulcher, I haven't really found a way to do this, but I'm also stupid- is there a way to design a system that will, regardless of the input and output belt speed, fill a container with an item and then send any overflow to the mulcher?

GruntyThrst fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 3, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

GruntyThrst posted:

All I know is it's not worth it to dump screws in my auto sorting system, just add them directly to the bin. Or the mulcher.

Speaking of the mulcher, I haven't really found a way to do this, but I'm also stupid- is there a way to design a system that will, regardless of the input and output belt speed, fill a container with an item and then send any overflow to the mulcher?

No. The only solution is to have a smart or programmable splitter that outputs to both directions. Which means you have to mulch half the parts you make. Even then, you have to keep your eye on it because sometimes the splitters break and will only output in one of the directions. I think the options for "any part" and "any unfiltered part" are all we're going to get from the devs and it took forever to even get that.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Simplest way to conceptualize the problem with transporting screws:

1 iron rod = 6 screws. Would you rather have 6 screws strung out along your belt or a single iron rod?

If you've got alternate recipes the difference is even bigger.

You always want to transport stuff when it's the least number of things. 3 ore becomes one ingot? Smelt your ore at your mine before transport.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Cojawfee posted:

No. The only solution is to have a smart or programmable splitter that outputs to both directions. Which means you have to mulch half the parts you make. Even then, you have to keep your eye on it because sometimes the splitters break and will only output in one of the directions. I think the options for "any part" and "any unfiltered part" are all we're going to get from the devs and it took forever to even get that.

That's what I figured. On the one hand I see the authorial intent on really pushing the very streamlined, sync up your input and output style clean factory. On the other, that means you don't have a resource stockpile for buildings. Not an easy issue to solve without brute forcing some storage.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

GruntyThrst posted:

I copied this setup from way earlier in the thread, it's not perfect and it's bulky but it works well enough for me.

Dr. Stab posted:

I did a similar thing, but put lifts on both sides. 2^7 = 128, but 3^7 = 2187.

e: actually, after seeing the other shot, I did something different. Here's mine

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

The reason screws exist is to make you realize that alternate recipes are valuable even if they aren't considerably cheaper or faster. What the inputs are, and how easy they are to make and transport is a big factor. With alternate recipes you can remove screws from your factory completely, or perhaps just simply remove them from the parts of your factory where they cause trouble.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

There is supposedly a perfect overflow-only splitter construction, which depends on a belt of an alternate material spinning around forever, and that allows the smart splitter to work different somehow. I haven't tried it yet.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

The crazy solution to perfect overflow is to use trucks/trains. First station pickup, second station unload to storage, third station unload to overflow.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

VegasGoat posted:

The crazy solution to perfect overflow is to use trucks/trains. First station pickup, second station unload to storage, third station unload to overflow.

I guess if you're willing to build a freight terminal for every part

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Okay yes, I just built and tested this.

The important point is that the cycle item is a different item that will never run through the system. For my test I used color cartridges.
It has one input and two outputs. One output is the regular output for non-overflow, and the other output is the overflow when the regular output backs up.

Start it up by feeding enough cycle items through to fill the entire cycle belt, then delete all non-cycle belts that contain the cycle item, to make room for the regular items. After that, begin sending your regular items through, and rebuild the belts you deleted. Maybe delete and rebuild some of the intermediate belts again if it doesn't start immediately.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

I guess if you're willing to build a freight terminal for every part
You don't need overflow for every part. Unless you're chasing some sort of 100% utilization forever it doesn't matter if most things back up. The real issue is just with refineries and refinery products where full storage can greatly slow production.

So trains/trucks are a beautiful solution there, actually. If you take rubber/plastic back in a train and send it to an overflow dump after it unloads, then you'll never have to worry about a full plastic store preventing heavy oil rates so you can actually reliably calculate the rate of fuel or whatever else you can produce.

I'm seriously considering getting trucks to start transporting my petroleum coke and other poo poo around my refinery area 'cause that actually sounds like a really foolproof way to deal with overflow.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I befriended a dog for the first time. It follows me around and is very cute. Unfortunately, it also found a barrel of nuclear waste and irradiates me if it gets too close, so I have to be constantly on guard for the pursuit of the little bastard.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Wrr posted:

I befriended a dog for the first time. It follows me around and is very cute. Unfortunately, it also found a barrel of nuclear waste and irradiates me if it gets too close, so I have to be constantly on guard for the pursuit of the little bastard.

Just take it off him and dump it on a conveyor that stretches waaaaay out into the ocean, I'm sure it'll be fine.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
Hey, uh.... don't forget that you can feed high-tier products into the mulcher to get tickets to buy way, way more high tier products... i've been just feeding junk, occasional mid-tier excess produce and fuel byproducts into the machine to get a ticket every half hour or so, and instead of loving around waiting for more supercomputers to meet the last few caterium tree costs, i made a couple on the bench, fed them into the machine and then bought a couple of stacks of supercomputers with those tickets, and then fed them in, and now i have probably more tickets than i've ever earned up until now, twice over. :psyduck: my current ticket goal is something around 5 million points per coupon so the returns are going to fall off steeply soon, but goddamn, i should have done that sooner

Wallrod fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Mar 4, 2020

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
A stack of Turbomotors still returns like 11 tickets for me right now. I'm sitting on like 300 tickets because of it, since my factory is largely offline while I'm refactoring it because I am a genius. So I'll be like 'oh, I need more heavy frames' and go buy the frames and a tack of motors to mulch and get back most of the cost.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Vasudus posted:

A stack of Turbomotors still returns like 11 tickets for me right now. I'm sitting on like 300 tickets because of it, since my factory is largely offline while I'm refactoring it because I am a genius. So I'll be like 'oh, I need more heavy frames' and go buy the frames and a tack of motors to mulch and get back most of the cost.

yeah i see that getting nerfed pretty quick.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Literally Kermit posted:

While the costs of materials definitely need adjustment, this only works a few times before it becomes unsustainable since ticket prices increase for every one you get

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I could imagine a system where the game tracks how many items you've bought through the store and not give you any tickets for that kind of item until you've fed that many back into the muncher. So it's sort of like you're loaning the items for your tickets.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Literally Kermit posted:

They just nerfed it with a patch.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ah, the new patch puts the recipe list as the default Codex page rather than the messages. For the longest time I didn't realise that recipe list was even there; I was building an unconnected assembler/etc to see what the recipes for things were and thought the codex was just a message log.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Can you not overclock nuclear reactors at all?

They require 300 fluids, 600 with max overclocking, but pipes can only carry 300? I had all my reactors overclocked before I downloaded the experimental branch, and now I cannot keep them overclocked with the new water requirements at all.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Tenebrais posted:

Ah, the new patch puts the recipe list as the default Codex page rather than the messages. For the longest time I didn't realise that recipe list was even there; I was building an unconnected assembler/etc to see what the recipes for things were and thought the codex was just a message log.

There's a recipe list?!

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Tenebrais posted:

I've been doing this the whole time too :saddowns:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Ixjuvin posted:

There's a recipe list?!

Press x to open your emails, and there's another tab for recipes.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

chairface posted:

I've been doing this the whole time too :saddowns:

lmao same

I could have saved myself entire minutes of work.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

deadly_pudding posted:

lmao same

I could have saved myself entire minutes of work.

look at this chucklelunk, with inefficient gamings per minute

Also

Just now realized you have to research slugs in order to make things go faster

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

kloa posted:

Can you not overclock nuclear reactors at all?

They require 300 fluids, 600 with max overclocking, but pipes can only carry 300? I had all my reactors overclocked before I downloaded the experimental branch, and now I cannot keep them overclocked with the new water requirements at all.

I noticed this, but here's two potential mitigating factors:

1) It only uses 300 m^3/min at full capacity. If it's running slower because you have excess electrical power, it will have a matching slower water consumption. I have three nuclear plants hooked up to one pipe right now, and they're all running fine.

2) We only have 300 m^3/min max capacity pipes right now. The next tier of products could unlock faster pipes.

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

:ffg:
EAT THE DONUTS
:ffg:

Bobulus posted:

I noticed this, but here's two potential mitigating factors:

1) It only uses 300 m^3/min at full capacity. If it's running slower because you have excess electrical power, it will have a matching slower water consumption. I have three nuclear plants hooked up to one pipe right now, and they're all running fine.

2) We only have 300 m^3/min max capacity pipes right now. The next tier of products could unlock faster pipes.

There definitely should be a higher tier of pipes before researching the quantum technobabble tier. I haven't unlocked nuclear plants yet but if they really use 300 m^3/min at 100% efficiency, then yeah you can literally never overclock them.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Put in Thermal Dynamics' Tesseracts imo.

Also hire KingLemming, he knows what he's doing in regards to 3d automation games.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Also add the ability to lay pavement like we can conveyor belts, so we can make cool sweet curved tracks for our mini-car or not-telsa cybertruck

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

While we're asking for stuff- foundation auto-fill if you build a perimeter frame, please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

A button to hide your current tool! And editable signs for walls and street corners! And OFFICE FURNITURE!