Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Haha yes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Khanstant posted:

Speaking of faeries, why are they cool with the wellspring being poo poo? They have their own source of power?

Persons and creatures that are inherently magical doesn't need the wellspring.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Loucks posted:

I’m not going to question your sanity here, but in exchange I demand that you provide details.

A social engineer and a telepath, huh? I'll not fall for your tricks.

Alhazred posted:

Persons and creatures that are inherently magical doesn't need the wellspring.

Ah, right. They should sort out making humans inherently magical one of these days, get out from under the thumb of the old gods.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Kinda weird SYFY straight up spoiled a big part of Watchmen in a Black History Month commercial. I know it's been a while since it first aired but that was an odd choice for trying to tie together February and pop culture.

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized
Do WE know how Quentin got that paper and I'm just blanking on it?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Inspector 34 posted:

Kinda weird SYFY straight up spoiled a big part of Watchmen in a Black History Month commercial. I know it's been a while since it first aired but that was an odd choice for trying to tie together February and pop culture.

I thought it was weird too, but it's revealed in the second episode.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm pretty sure the show has lost track of the emotional arcs for half the cast (at this point Fenn is a glorified extra, if an absolutely adorable one) but any episode that focuses on Margo, Eliot and Josh is good, since they're the three the show still has a good handle on. Fun use of the body swap conceit as a metaphor for codependency, undercutting the "at least we have each other" moral with something a little more complex.

Added bonus: the fungus subplot was fun and thematically relevant. And the Penny as the Dean plot is, well, an obvious bit of latter season character rebooting, but it's beginning to pay off

Fauxshiz posted:

Do WE know how Quentin got that paper and I'm just blanking on it?

No, this is all new stuff.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Just caught up on the last couple!

I'm digging the Penny 23 Dean so far, and Deandroid 17 is a neat surprise. I like the Freak Friday stuff, and I'm a big fan any sentient fungi. Right now I'm wondering if Todd's quest is actually like a prophecy warning against our protagonist's coming to bring ruin to fillory. Could also be The Couple since that's introduced, but I think the weirdness behind this king's evil kingdom just seems like they're going to pull a fast one. I also wanna see that world tree seed pop off at some point.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Almost caught up! Enjoy this gif!
https://i.imgur.com/VqcY5hm.mp4
Edit:
So I'm caught up. Two things.
1: Is Q's acquiring of that important page anywhere in this show or just a this-season magically appearing macguffin?
2: NEVER LOOK AWAY FROM THE BODY! I mean, come on, they make so many references to other pop culture hits, how do they make this one major mistake?!

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Feb 28, 2020

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
obviously to grow the world seed they need to play sburb

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Lupus Rufus posted:

obviously to grow the world seed they need to play sburb
:ssh:
And #3: Why can't they just tell Josh they swapped bodies after the spell is over?
And #4: There was so very little post-quest Julia it kinda felt like they cut a scene where she breathes a sigh of relief and goes home. Kinda makes it more obvious the episode would end the way it did.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

DaveKap posted:

1: Is Q's acquiring of that important page anywhere in this show or just a this-season magically appearing macguffin?

It's a book thing. I'm guessing they weren't planning on using that storyline when they still had Jason Ralph around, so instead they're using it as a, "Whoa, Q was more of a mystery than we pegged him to be!"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

DaveKap posted:

2: NEVER LOOK AWAY FROM THE BODY! I mean, come on, they make so many references to other pop culture hits, how do they make this one major mistake?!

Yes! That drove me nuts too. Not even just in case he rises again, but just like... don't leave a corpse laying around? Especially if it's the leader of the castle you're in?

As for Julia, I actually lost sight of why she's giving a poo poo about Fillory, just part of grieving Q's loss? She had a great stabbing pose, though. Still, of all people, would've expected her to be on top of body disposal.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

Khanstant posted:

Just caught up on the last couple!

I'm digging the Penny 23 Dean so far, and Deandroid 17 is a neat surprise. I like the Freak Friday stuff, and I'm a big fan any sentient fungi. Right now I'm wondering if Todd's quest is actually like a prophecy warning against our protagonist's coming to bring ruin to fillory. Could also be The Couple since that's introduced, but I think the weirdness behind this king's evil kingdom just seems like they're going to pull a fast one. I also wanna see that world tree seed pop off at some point.

I am feeling pretty close to 100% that the protags are the harbingers of the pigman's apocalypse at this point and kind of had a moment at a bit of dialogue in the last episode where it all seemed to click--I'm gonna have to revisit and see if I can't pinpoint where it is.

A not insignificant portion of this season has been focused on how the characters choosing to push their time into various quests instead of addressing their grief/trauma/regrets is actually really loving things up for themselves and the people they love. I won't be remotely surprised if/when it turns out that they're the ones bringing on Fillory's apocalypse and in order to stop it they'll have to try Letting The Monster Out and choose to grow instead of deflect.

In matters of both baking AND the heart Josh is always right.

ETA:

Open Source Idiom posted:

I'm pretty sure the show has lost track of the emotional arcs for half the cast (at this point Fenn is a glorified extra, if an absolutely adorable one) but any episode that focuses on Margo, Eliot and Josh is good, since they're the three the show still has a good handle on. Fun use of the body swap conceit as a metaphor for codependency, undercutting the "at least we have each other" moral with something a little more complex.

I was thinking about this a bit more and I'm starting to think this seems 100% intentional? Last season's finale right into the beginning of this one has been pretty thoroughly about how the cast is learning or relearning or recontextualizing how they understand their world and themselves in the face of extreme loss, and a big part of that seems to come from them being desperate to try and reassert control over their identity. Which, in a lot of cases, we're seeing isn't really possible in a post-Q post-King Margo post-Library world, at least not how most of them try.

Some of it works on a surface level, like the entire situation with the Convergence, but I can't help but feel at this point that it was like--just a sidenote? Like we're coming to terms along with the characters that, yes there's gonna be hosed up poo poo and yes, they're going to end up solving it, but it isn't even remotely addressing the real problems they're facing. In some cases the stakes are Margo and Josh's or Julia and 23's relationship--but in some cases it's looking more and more like the repercussions are world-shattering.

I am 100% reading into it to the hella degree but the biggest moments of success haven't been by finding the Macguffin, we're seeing it in Eliot choosing to Let The Monster Out and be vulnerable during the timeloop or Eliot and Alice learning about the stakes via their goodbye to Q trip or Eliot saving Josh and Fen (and Pickwick and crew) via his ham sandwich gamble--actually maybe it's just Eliot fixing everything who knows I'm cool with that tho.

I will be extremely surprised if we don't get a Fen-centric episode that helps contextualize her experience throughout this season in the next week or two. Regardless of the quality of the decision Gamble and the writers have at least shown that they absolutely do no gently caress with the idea of turning characters into stereotypes or archetypes without making those actions a reflection of the characters internal journey so if Fen really does land this season as Knife-Loving Comic Relief I'll be pretty surprised and miffed by it.

Sab Sabbington fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 28, 2020

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Nihonniboku posted:

It's a book thing. I'm guessing they weren't planning on using that storyline when they still had Jason Ralph around, so instead they're using it as a, "Whoa, Q was more of a mystery than we pegged him to be!"

It has been forever since I read the books, but I was just assuming they planned to destroy a world (Fillory?) and use the seed to regrow it in a one of their patented “there’s no hope; oh wait everything is fine” plot twists.

Really hoping I’m wrong.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Summer playing Elliot pretending to be Margot was amazing.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

ThePagey posted:

I am feeling pretty close to 100% that the protags are the harbingers of the pigman's apocalypse at this point and kind of had a moment at a bit of dialogue in the last episode where it all seemed to click--I'm gonna have to revisit and see if I can't pinpoint where it is.

A not insignificant portion of this season has been focused on how the characters choosing to push their time into various quests instead of addressing their grief/trauma/regrets is actually really loving things up for themselves and the people they love. I won't be remotely surprised if/when it turns out that they're the ones bringing on Fillory's apocalypse and in order to stop it they'll have to try Letting The Monster Out and choose to grow instead of deflect.

In matters of both baking AND the heart Josh is always right.

I want to say at one point the prophecy was being discussed or repeated at the same time they were showing our protags doing stuff in Fillory. They also definitely played Todd's song over the credits, and I think that was there was to be like "not just this hilarious song, in a few eps you're gonna get it, listen again."

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

Rhyno posted:

Summer playing Elliot pretending to be Margot was amazing.

There were definitely a few moments where it slipped but God drat(TM) there were some lines for both Margo-Eliot and Eliot-Margo that were just absolutely spot on perfect. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't put any practice into the scenes beforehand and just loving went with it, it was super fun to watch.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

ThePagey posted:

Well (casting spoilers) the Pigman is the Dark King, probably.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Maybe, but it could also be a casting trick to conceal a plot point. Wasn’t this just discussed like a page ago?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I hope it's just that the same actor was pumped to play a bonus makeup role since it's unlikely anyone would confuse the two characters.

ThePagey posted:

There were definitely a few moments where it slipped but God drat(TM) there were some lines for both Margo-Eliot and Eliot-Margo that were just absolutely spot on perfect. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't put any practice into the scenes beforehand and just loving went with it, it was super fun to watch.

I'd love to hear how they did it, I was thinking they'd just film the scenes normally and then you'd go off that performance. They did great and it actually highlighted the differences between them despite their strong shared heritage of sass. I do like Margot-Josh as a pair though, so I'm hoping there's a happy resolution to their deal.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Feb 29, 2020

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

Open Source Idiom posted:

Well (casting spoilers) the Pigman is the Dark King, probably.

This is definitely not a for sure handwave but I recall early on in the season Brittany Curran tweeting about how multi-talented the actor playing the Dark King was by pointing out that he also played the pig man, and I think that whole interaction with social media would be weird if they were literally the same person.

THAT BEING SAID I mean there are parallels I guess in terms of weird sexist behavior and if I'm willing to reach (which I always am) if there is a connection between Seb and Quentin as per the discussion a few pages/episodes ago it might make sense as to why he was so gung-ho on getting Q.

I still really doubt it but who knows.

Khanstant posted:

I'd love to hear how they did it, I was thinking they'd just film the scenes normally and then you'd go off that performance. They did great and it actually highlighted the differences between them despite their strong shared heritage of sass. I do like Margot-Josh as a pair though, so I'm hoping there's a happy resolution to their deal.

Same to all of the above, but over the series I've grown pretty firmly into a Josh Rules position that started building up after I was pissed they left him out of season 1 (entirely? Almost entirely?) given that he's a main main character in the books.

AFAIK Summer Bishil and Hale Appleman are just chill as gently caress friends so unless I learn otherwise (which I'm almost certain the behind the scenes they release every week probably addresses it) I'm going to headcanon that they just showed them the script and told 'em to have at it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I hope that's the case too, I would believe it. What/where are these behind-the-scenes things posted? Doc says I definitely don't have Syfy

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CBpphDPQqc

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Into it! Haven't seen so many of these people ever out of character. Delightful. Does seem to indicate they just went from their gut knowing each other so well already.

Also interesting to know Julia is pregnant IRL. I was wondering if that was the case. Didn't seem like a concept they'd revisit otherwise, and with Fenn being so pro-life about it they seemed to hint she was going to be actually pregnant and have a baby. So I guess her and Penny 23 aren't really over yet.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Hey, Fen was explicitly pro choice here, even though it was clearly bringing back old pain. And then Julia shared her pain and it was a beautiful bonding moment.

I get the impression there is BTS beef with some of the cast? Am I way off base?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sloth Life posted:

I get the impression there is BTS beef with some of the cast? Am I way off base?

Summer doesnt appear to hang out with the cast much. The rest of them all get together and Instagram goof a lot but she rarely joins them. Trevor Einhorn and Jason Ralph seem to be close friends but Ralph didnt seem to spend much time with the group. The others pop up in each other's stuff constantly.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Khanstant posted:

Also interesting to know Julia is pregnant IRL. I was wondering if that was the case.
Same. As soon as the show mentioned it I thought "oh, I bet she's pregnant in real life" so glad to get confirmation. It definitely seems like something the writers would not have done if they weren't nudged towards it by outside forces. I have no doubt they can handle it well, they've done so drat good with this whole series. I actually look forward to seeing where they go with it, considering most shows don't seem to land the whole "pregnancy as entertainment" thing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Shows tend to avoid writing pregnancies into the plot because it can totally backfire on them like poor Katey Sagal on Married with Children (where she got pregnant, they wrote it into the plot and then she had a miscarriage.)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Khanstant posted:

As for Julia, I actually lost sight of why she's giving a poo poo about Fillory, just part of grieving Q's loss? She had a great stabbing pose, though. Still, of all people, would've expected her to be on top of body disposal.
Yeah, I think its just built up guilt and disillusionment on Julia's part and her wanting to like do something good and important with magic. After everything she's been through with hurting Q and the others, her part in Kady's mom dying, bringing Reynard to Earth and being the first of many of his victims, bringing the Beast to Earth and getting Marlena killed, murdering those trees, becoming a goddess and helping people, giving that up to try and help, losing Quentin in him sacrificing himself. She's just trying to find purpose in using magic for a good cause and like there's no more obvious good cause than saving the world.

She's in a weird kind of place where she's doing what Quentin was always doing early on and looking for fulfillment in a heroic story adventure instead of life, and that's probably not a coincidence.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The chat thread says we've been canceled.

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized

Rhyno posted:

The chat thread says we've been canceled.

Well, I don't know how they have a better finale than last season but I hope they outdo themselves. The series is too good to go out like a loose fart.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Five seasons and a movie maybe?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Not exactly a huge surprise seeing as previous years it would be renewed super early. So no news half way through the season was definitely a sign.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

To be honest this season has felt a bit directionless. Past seasons have kind of come together in the end so I wasn't thinking too much about it, but it is sort of a "so, like... ok, the Dark King in Fillory and Julia's tagging along to stay busy and NotPenny and Alice are trying to fix magic again and do something with a magic plant Quentin knew about for mysterious reasons and Kady's.... somewhere... i guess dealing with hedge tattoos? And Zelda is around and the Library is I dunno and RealPenny has just moved on... I guess?"

It has the feel of a season that ran out its main ideas and isn't quite sure where its going now.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona
The season finale is confirmed to be there series finale. Apparently it was written to be that if exactly this happened, but, still, gently caress.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Oof, the article announcing said that ratings have been down 40% over last year, even counting 7 day pick up.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
Lets hope for one more good musical episode. Todd singing doesn't count.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I hate being right.

Rhyno posted:

A couple of the cast members posted some things on Instagram that they've since deleted that sort of implied that season 5 is the end of the series and I am SHOOK.

Rhyno posted:

Trevor Einhorn made it sound like he'd done his final wardrobe session and Stella Maeve called it a closed chapter. It doesn't sound great for the show long term.

Rhyno posted:

Did you miss the line where she acknowledges that there is talk of it being over? I've seen a lot of that chatter on the assorted social media posts and clearly she's aware of it.

I have 6 pages of posts in this thread and just skimmed over them. I really, really hated this show when I started watching it. And it just made me smile looking back and seeing when I started to turn around and then BAM, I loved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
As sad as it is, I'm really hopeful that many of the cast have bright futures ahead. I am looking forward to seeing where they end up and wishing them well x