Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

piratepilates posted:

What was their big bar-lowering finale?

I'm still working through the first Capaldi season, but I'm open to spoilers about the latest season(s).

It's not still Moffat is it?

It's Chris Chibnall now.

the time lords got the ability to regenerate from THE TIMELESS CHILD, a kid who came through a portal from another universe born with the ability to endlessly regenerate. This super special child of destiny is of course the Doctor, who has their memory wiped and turns into child William Hartnell after countless regenerations acting as an agent for the DIVISION (a sinister Time Lord agency) and remembers none of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

How is that any more stupid than anything else on Doctor Who

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I haven't watched Doctor who in several years but that does sound remarkably contrived even for that show, I thought they had gotten away from making the Doctor the savior of the universe but I guess I was wrong

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Drink-Mix Man posted:

How is that any more stupid than anything else on Doctor Who

It's very bad and dumb to make the Doctor always having been a super special chosen one who founded Time Lord society, rather than an ordinary Time Lord who is special because of their cool and good actions.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Just your everyday average Time Lord, keep it down to earth

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Just your everyday average Time Lord, keep it down to earth

so relatable

not like this new thing at all

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Turns out the first Doctor wasn't the first, but rather the doctor is an ancient being from another universe with immortality via the ability to regenerate that ancient Gallifreyans studied to engineer regeneration into their own race, and the Doctor had his memory wiped when they became William Hartnell, which is why they think that was the first Doctor.

Also they destroyed Gallifrey and the time lords again but totally more permanently this time guys

:suicide:

Yikes! Doesn't that basically just mean the Doctor is an Old God instead of a chaotic-good trickster with a time machine?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

marktheando posted:

It's very bad and dumb to make the Doctor always having been a super special chosen one who founded Time Lord society, rather than an ordinary Time Lord who is special because of their cool and good actions.

Also it took the knackers to 60 years of canon. For that wet fart.

It really seems like Chibnall, a life long fan, indulging his ego by forcing his head canon onto it. Something that wouldn't necessarily be bad, if he'd earnt it. But his version of Who is bad even for Who, which is mostly very bad.

Change is necessary in any long running franchise. But that was weirdly inorganic.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

MikeJF posted:

Turns out the first Doctor wasn't the first, but rather the doctor is an ancient being from another universe with immortality via the ability to regenerate that ancient Gallifreyans studied to engineer regeneration into their own race, and the Doctor had his memory wiped when they became William Hartnell, which is why they think that was the first Doctor.

Also they destroyed Gallifrey and the time lords again but totally more permanently this time guys

:suicide:

marktheando posted:

It's Chris Chibnall now.

the time lords got the ability to regenerate from THE TIMELESS CHILD, a kid who came through a portal from another universe born with the ability to endlessly regenerate. This super special child of destiny is of course the Doctor, who has their memory wiped and turns into child William Hartnell after countless regenerations acting as an agent for the DIVISION (a sinister Time Lord agency) and remembers none of this.

Boy that sounds real dumb! Thanks for the recaps.

It's like a sickness among writers and producers that they have to keep creating bigger and bigger stories with even bigger scopes that Change Everything We Know.

poo poo I just want to see poo poo develop in a logical way, not see an origin story for everything in the universe that centers around the protagonist.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I don't know much about Dr. Who, but wasn't the entire premise that he is, in fact, a super-mega-special being, unique among even the others of his race? I thought the whole conceit was that 'the answer to the question: dr. who? will end the universe" or something along those lines.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I don't know much about Dr. Who, but wasn't the entire premise that he is, in fact, a super-mega-special being, unique among even the others of his race? I thought the whole conceit was that 'the answer to the question: dr. who? will end the universe" or something along those lines.

When the show started decades ago he was a silly grumpy grandpa with a time machine. Then he started regenerating so they could switch old men actors. Then they fleshed out his lore with him being a young (for time lords) rapscallion member of his species (who are from the planet Gallifrey and have advanced time tech, but are just people). Then with the modern series, a war wiped out his species except for him. He's still a regular alien guy at this point (with a time machine and advanced tech) but who is now the last of his kind and torn by war.

I think the whole "the questions n that must never. be answered, doctor who?" was a specific plot about a group of aliens that hate the doctor, and the reason why the question can't be answered is because of time paradoxes and poo poo, not because he's a literal god or anything.

I'm still at the Capaldi doctor so maybe new stuff got added since then, but from before that he's just been a very persistent and clever alien who saves the day, but isn't specifically a god or inherently the most important being in the universe or anything (except for constructing plots).

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Snow Cone Capone posted:

No. You may have gotten that confused with a one-season plotline from a few years ago; the doctor learned that at a point in his future, the question 'Doctor who' would be asked, and the answer would bring death and destruction. (As it turned out, it was because the question was the Time Lords signalling to him and confirming the answer was from him, and to bring them back would be to start another time war). That was just a one-off plot.

The Doctor, as a character, has always been just another Time Lord, but one who rejects the Prime Directive as cruel and believes he has a moral duty to help people. So he stole a time machine and ran away from the others and generally just helps people. What defines him as special compared to the others is the choices he made. The only reason he's important is that he's been helping people so long through so much of history that he's become a major figure just from that.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 2, 2020

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Also the modern era has had a decent number of "the universe is about to end and the doctor is the only person who can stop it", perhaps too many for comfort, but he is also just a regular guy in all of those, and I believe accidentally has a hand in creating all of those disasters too.

But the individual episodes tend to be more fun than the overall arcs anyway.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Snow Cone Capone posted:

The basic premise of Doctor Who is that the Time Lords are all absolute assholes and the Doctor happens to be good and likes to help people. So He/She's been special in that sense, but not some magical special Rey Star Wars sense.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Speaking of Capaldi,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQTlT8-qYUk

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Is this the place for amazing nerd meltdowns over Picard on twitter? I give you “show critic” Felipe, and I haven’t had anything this hilarious hit my inbox since I stopped blowing up mining ships in 0.1s

https://twitter.com/cactusfloyd/status/1234586170220273664

Edit: because Felipe also seems to be a coward.

https://twitter.com/learnincurve11/status/1234588921939492866

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Mar 2, 2020

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

learnincurve posted:

Is this the place for amazing nerd meltdowns over Picard on twitter? I give you “show critic” Felipe, and I haven’t had anything this hilarious hit my inbox since I stopped blowing up mining ships in 0.1s

This is just sad, dude.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

piratepilates posted:

Boy that sounds real dumb! Thanks for the recaps.

It's like a sickness among writers and producers that they have to keep creating bigger and bigger stories with even bigger scopes that Change Everything We Know.

I like to call this "cartoon movie syndrome." There are several shows where the stories are the equivalent of "character x gets a new haircut" or "someone is eating all the kids bananas." Then they make a movie the plot is always "we gotta save the world."

Edit: nothing has been announced for the Bob's Burgers movie coming out this year but I really think they are going to save the world in it somehow.

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 2, 2020

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

No, they will destroy the world.

Not in the movie. The fact of a Bob's Burgers movie will destroy it.

Jklmao, for the most part...

I like Bob's Burgers okay, but a movie... I don't know.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

GoutPatrol posted:

I like to call this "cartoon movie syndrome." There are several shows where the stories are the equivalent of "character x gets a new haircut" or "someone is eating all the kids bananas." Then they make a movie the plot is always "we gotta save the world."

Edit: nothing has been announced for the Bob's Burgers movie coming out this year but I really think they are going to save the world in it somehow.

Was the Simpsons movie about the fate of the world? That's the only tv show to movie that popped in my head and I think they actually did the reverse, where Springfield was hosed but the rest of the world was fine.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

learnincurve posted:

Cringe.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

learnincurve posted:

Is this the place for meltdowns on twitter?

no

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Yeah, we make our own meltdowns here, thank you very much

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Yeah, we make our own meltdowns here, thank you very much

:hai:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

piratepilates posted:

Was the Simpsons movie about the fate of the world? That's the only tv show to movie that popped in my head and I think they actually did the reverse, where Springfield was hosed but the rest of the world was fine.

(sadly) TvTropes has a thing about it: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BigDamnMovie

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

piratepilates posted:

Well, the first Star Trek movie had them saving earth.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

marktheando posted:

Well, the first Star Trek movie had them saving earth.

yeah but who cares about some backwater planet, it's not like, vulcan or something.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I dunno if TMP really counts because it was less "we gotta stop the bad guy(s) from blowing up Earth!" and "we need to understand this alien thing before it gets here or who knows what could happen"

actually wait there's the part where it spits out the probes so maybe yeah

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

NZAmoeba posted:

Now we know why they insisted on those transparent monitors, or we would never have gotten that shot! :v:

Romulan world-building continues: Romulans don't even tell people their real name, and maintain 3 different identities, I mean of course they do that. Romulans getting very nicely fleshed out in Picard and it does a decent job of it (warrior nuns I'm still on the fence about)

Late, but that was an aspect of Diane Duane's Romulans, and I wonder if Chabon's read any of her books. I was hoping someone would finally use them as a source of inspiration. I doubt we'll see it in this iteration, but their society being centered around the Ruling Passion instead of logic - having been founded by anti-Surak refuseniks who were exiled at the end of a war that nearly wiped out life on Vulcan - was a logical take, the implication being that they have a lot of structure, tradition and social control measures in place to manage that passion, but individuals still find they must act as their inner truths move them.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

piratepilates posted:

It's especially dumb in a show like Doctor Who where the setting is different every week and the protagonists show up as powerless outsiders. Most shows where the threats keep escalating do so because the protagonists are gaining resources and abilities over time that make their old enemies too weak to pose a threat to this new version of them. Doctor Who avoids that, so escalating the threat is completely unnecessary.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Know what I just remembered? Jurati acts like Maddox making cookies from scratch is the weirdest, most unknown thing. Sisko's father was a famous chef - did anybody ever get weirded out by someone devoting their lives to manual cooking on DS9?

OTOH, I definitely remember Keiko getting weirded out by Miles doing some home cooking, so.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Know what I just remembered? Jurati acts like Maddox making cookies from scratch is the weirdest, most unknown thing. Sisko's father was a famous chef - did anybody ever get weirded out by someone devoting their lives to manual cooking on DS9?

OTOH, I definitely remember Keiko getting weirded out by Miles doing some home cooking, so.

Probably different when they make it their job, as it fills a niche. When it's someone in Starfleet doing it every so often it's more of a "oh that's weird... why?" kind of thing.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Snow Cone Capone posted:

It's probably like knowing someone who only eats restaurant take-out/delivery or microwave food, and they're trying to cook something for themselves. It's unusual.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Snow Cone Capone posted:

She just didn’t like Irish food from what I remember. Conversely, Miles didn’t really like all her seafood dishes but learned to compromise.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Snow Cone Capone posted:

What Jurati was trying to puzzle out was why Maddox replicated all the ingredients and then went through the trouble of baking the cookies from scratch instead of just replicating the cookies themselves. She’s not blown away by the fact that woah holy poo poo he’s BAKING... HIMSELF?! more that “why are you doing this completely unneeded process complication when you already used the replicator to make the ingredients anyway?”

To which Maddox explains that fully replicated cookies never taste quite right so doing them by hand is the only way he can make them to his standards.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

nine-gear crow posted:

To which Maddox explains that fully replicated cookies never taste quite right so doing them by hand is the only way he can make them to his standards.

The computer cannot add Love

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I oh totally buy this part of Star Trek. I presume that a replicator meal is a really good version of a ready meal that tastes homemade. But it's going to be one very specific version of that recipe and it'll be identical every time.

Sure there's Jambalaya in the database, but it won't be made the way Sisko's dad makes Jambalaya. Also maybe you like the experience of cooking, maybe you want the taste of cooking, maybe in a utopia of the future where nobody has to work someone wants to spend their time cooking good food for other people and other people want to eat out.

e: the culture series uses this as a touchstone example as well. In a future where nobody has to work, some people, possibly even most people will choose to spend time doing something that makes other people happy.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

What Jurati was trying to puzzle out was why Maddox replicated all the ingredients and then went through the trouble of baking the cookies from scratch instead of just replicating the cookies themselves. She’s not blown away by the fact that woah holy poo poo he’s BAKING... HIMSELF?! more that “why are you doing this completely unneeded process complication when you already used the replicator to make the ingredients anyway?”

Which is really weird to me, I'd hope that if I put something on the replicator, I could ask it to scan that I and decompose it, and save that pattern to my personal list so I could have that on demand.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Alchenar posted:

I oh totally buy this part of Star Trek. I presume that a replicator meal is a really good version of a ready meal that tastes homemade. But it's going to be one very specific version of that recipe and it'll be identical every time.

Sure there's Jambalaya in the database, but it won't be made the way Sisko's dad makes Jambalaya. Also maybe you like the experience of cooking, maybe you want the taste of cooking, maybe in a utopia of the future where nobody has to work someone wants to spend their time cooking good food for other people and other people want to eat out.

Right. No matter how good the replicator recipe may be, it’s still just the same identical recipe over and over and over again. Even a lovely Stouffer’s TV dinner is going to have more variation. That’s one of the things I’ll begrudgingly give Voyager credit for; having an actual cook with an actual mess hall making real food is probably good for general morale because it creates a natural social space and it breaks up the monotony of routine life by introducing new meals. Why replicate Earth Meatloaf (No Ketchup) #3 for the tenth time that month when you can go eat something fresh and possibly new?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I've always thought the "it doesn't taste the same" excuse was kinda dumb when you can get your own recipe put in and adjusted. I'd much rather he had said something along the lines of "because cooking is science done with your hands'. Because most of the people I know who enjoy cooking from scratch are doing it for that experience of experimentation and creation just as much as the finished product. The doing cooking is the fun, the eating is the reward.

I can see that still being true in the Trek period, while also being seen as a bit niche or odd. Much less so can I see a bunch of weirdoes going on about how this thing that creates exactly what you want every time down to the molecule is somehow wrong.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 3, 2020