Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
idk if it’s the schedular to blame and I’ve raised this many times but I always loved how in windows’s 2000 with my single core, curl-alt-del took me instantly to whatever it does and task manager came up instantly and coz I rendered lots I just put the priority of whatever on lower and I could do whatever and it ran how it seems like it should

I don’t understand why task manager for example doesn’t run in a higher priority and always keeps itself in ram, so it’s always there instantly

also big ups to some pack prioritising app i used back in the day and can’t remember what it was but it meant even on dial up you could download at full speed but http was prioritised so web browsing always took precedent and so the internet never felt slow even when torrenting or whatever in background

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

use bfq, it's what google uses on chromebooks

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

code:
$ cat /etc/udev/rules.d/60-scheduler.rules 
ACTION=="add|change", SUBSYSTEM=="block", DRIVERS=="sd|sr|nvme", ATTR{queue/scheduler}!="bfq", ATTR{queue/scheduler}="bfq"
ACTION=="add|change", SUBSYSTEM=="block", KERNEL=="loop?", ATTR{queue/scheduler}!="bfq", ATTR{queue/scheduler}="bfq"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

big fuckin' quality scheduler

still not as good as my handcrafted, bespoke, artisinal thread schedules, but close

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I prefer smaller craft schedulers from local task managers

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
your wife is gonna love the real time audio in jackd

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Tankakern posted:

use bfq, it's what google uses on chromebooks

that’s a io scheduler not a thread scheduler

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

as a huge GIMP fan I’m only interested in edgelord problematic naming conventions in my Linux applications. unless your real time audio driver is called Timely Audio Redistribution Daemon then you can gently caress right off

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Tankakern posted:

code:
$ cat /etc/udev/rules.d/60-scheduler.rules 
ACTION=="add|change", SUBSYSTEM=="block", DRIVERS=="sd|sr|nvme", ATTR{queue/scheduler}!="bfq", ATTR{queue/scheduler}="bfq"
ACTION=="add|change", SUBSYSTEM=="block", KERNEL=="loop?", ATTR{queue/scheduler}!="bfq", ATTR{queue/scheduler}="bfq"

figure 1. example of why linux is a joke as a desktop operating system

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Management posted:

figure 1. example of why linux is a joke as a desktop operating system

scheduler rules!!!

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
bfq is also the wrong choice; if you have i/o contention on a desktop you want the deadline scheduler

actually you want the deadline scheduler almost all the time

who is out there saying "gee i'd love to have some of my writes delayed by many seconds in order to increase throughput 1%"

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the linux defaults for thread scheduling are just fine

the linux default i/o scheduler is extremely bad, and that's why the scheduler is changeable at runtime -- no one could convince the kernel devs to ship sane defaults, so they made it pluggable such that it could easily be changed

that's the open sores way: instead of coming to a consensus, we'll just foist the problem on users

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

as a huge GIMP fan I’m only interested in edgelord problematic naming conventions in my Linux applications. unless your real time audio driver is called Timely Audio Redistribution Daemon then you can gently caress right off

what if its name is a reference to transistor radios, definitely transistor radios, because sound you see, nothing to do with any slurs

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

con kolivas is one of those guys who thinks he can count frames in film

dude's a bit of a nut

of course he's a nut, he wrote a linux kernel scheduler

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

bfq is also the wrong choice; if you have i/o contention on a desktop you want the deadline scheduler

who is out there saying "gee i'd love to have some of my writes delayed by many seconds in order to increase throughput 1%"

also, last I checked for fast SSDs you were best off with the noop scheduler. if the drive can do 250k iops you don’t have the problem io schedulers are intended to address

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the linux defaults for thread scheduling are just fine

the linux default i/o scheduler is extremely bad, and that's why the scheduler is changeable at runtime -- no one could convince the kernel devs to ship sane defaults, so they made it pluggable such that it could easily be changed

that's the open sores way: instead of coming to a consensus, we'll just foist the problem on users

i use noop because the SAN can worry about all that stuff

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

big loving queue

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I got unraid going. it’s simple drag and drop disks beep boop now you’re raiding with power. however I also dragged and dropped one of the disks onto my basement floor and now it has read errors so I might get to learn how to swap a disk right away.

I’m the most shameful home nas janitor

E: I posted this in the wrong thread, but you guys can enjoy my incompetence

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Feb 26, 2020

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
intel just published new price lists for the cascade lake xeons and they are, effectively, huge cuts

https://fuse.wikichip.org/news/3352/intel-refreshes-2nd-gen-xeon-scalable-slashes-prices/

clearly they are aware that their competitive position is not as good as it was

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
Can't lose money cutting prices on CPUs if you can't manufacture them!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
we'll lose money on every sale but make it up by not selling very many

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Progressive JPEG posted:

can it run crysis tho?

AMD's Threadripper 3990X can run Crysis without a graphics card

they did it, those maniacs

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

ltt store dot com?

linus is okay but sometimes pushes the edutainment angle too hard instead of giving honest reviews, but then that's part of why they are so big so whatever

e: probably not helping that I do embedded development, on second thought

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 3, 2020

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

gently caress that's some hardcore threadripping!!!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Private Speech posted:

ltt store dot com?

linus is okay but sometimes pushes the edutainment angle too hard instead of giving honest reviews, but then that's part of why they are so big so whatever

e: probably not helping that I do embedded development, on second thought

I used to be on the fence about Linus, but I've decided that I like his bright, cheery, goofy dork aesthetic and I'm pretty sure hes not a closet white nationalist, which is about all you can ask for in this, the hell year 2020

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I used to be on the fence about Linus, but I've decided that I like his bright, cheery, goofy dork aesthetic and I'm pretty sure hes not a closet white nationalist, which is about all you can ask for in this, the hell year 2020

hell, same

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

quote:

bright, cheery, goofy dork aesthetic
isnt that every youtuber ever?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

linus and the other guy in that video look like half of my junior high school classmates if they had grown up and never changed their hair or clothes styles lol

not meant as an insult, it's just funny to see someone and know instantly "oh man that guy was a definitely a big fan of skate punk bands 20 years ago"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Zlodo posted:

isnt that every youtuber ever?

yeah but lots are also white nationalists

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lutha Mahtin posted:

linus and the other guy in that video look like half of my junior high school classmates if they had grown up and never changed their hair or clothes styles lol

not meant as an insult, it's just funny to see someone and know instantly "oh man that guy was a definitely a big fan of skate punk bands 20 years ago"

Linus also unabashedly wears socks and sandals everywhere, further cementing that aesthetic

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Linus also unabashedly wears socks and sandals everywhere, further cementing that aesthetic

i bet i wore socks/sandals at least once with the bright orange windbreaker-material pants i bought at old navy circa 2001

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
he’s the empitome if a “cool nerd”, which is very distinct from a cool person with nerd interests, or even an ordinary person with nerd interests but isn’t an actual nerd

pram
Jun 10, 2001
hes not cool either

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
iirc he also doesn't know poo poo about computers

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

linus has built several server systems for friends and youtubers so yes i believe he does.

just not, a lot.

that is he doesn't obsess over minutae

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
wow, server systems you say?

is that why he nuked his own raid by building it in the dumbest possible way? or how about when he hosed up his imac pro and then got mad that it wasn't covered by warranty?

the "minutia" being the level of detail needed to be knowledgeable about computers, for example, being able to do a basic google search for raid modes and comprehend what you've read, or read an irepair guide and understand how to avoid loving up your $5k workstation.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

he's a millennial leo laport, it's only a matter of time before he "accidentally" airs his dick pics

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
u mad?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

very

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

infernal machines posted:

wow, server systems you say?

is that why he nuked his own raid by building it in the dumbest possible way? or how about when he hosed up his imac pro and then got mad that it wasn't covered by warranty?

the "minutia" being the level of detail needed to be knowledgeable about computers, for example, being able to do a basic google search for raid modes and comprehend what you've read, or read an irepair guide and understand how to avoid loving up your $5k workstation.

his channel is less about good tech advice and more about watching him gently caress around with and drop expensive stuff. nuking his own raid and loving up the iMac is exactly what makes his channel good.