Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I would go so far as to say that if you don't like Love & Monsters I'm not sure what you're getting out of Doctor Who.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

I liked the Timeless child episode, the reveal I have no strong feelings for either way until I see if anything is done with it.

I also liked Love and Monsters, wasn't great (why must Peter Kay be Peter Kay) but it was a fine episode.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Hee-hee
https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1234784153452843010?s=20

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Love and Monsters is ok but has a terrible terrible finish. I like third person episodes, though. Need more third person episodes.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
Honestly the Timeless Child twist isn't all that different from what Moffatt gave us with Matt Smith, where The Doctor was the most important and precious person in the entire universe and we were constantly being reminded of that at all times.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

It is a bit, given that the Matt Smith era way of doing it was actually something that arose from the Doctor's actions, and not "lore" delivered in a 50 minute lecture by the most boring version of the Master yet written.

Also a very big theme of Smith's last three episodes is that he chose to be the Doctor, he wasn't just born special and good.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
There was like, one episode where he had to kill himself to save the universe and then it turned out there were a bunch of messages from people offering to help him because of all the good he'd done. Also another episode where his timeline got deleted and a bunch of stars went out because of all the worlds he now never saved. Hardly "constant" and frankly a continuation of the Russell T Davies years

Man must Clara have been surprised when she jumped into the Doctor's timeline, got back to the First Doctor and then realised the timeline kept going.

E: Heaven Sent is now a metaphor for the series as a whole. We follow the character from a certain point and then suddenly realise the one we've been following is the seven thousandth iteration of basically the same thing

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Mar 3, 2020

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Hey so what was actually up with those Ireland bits? Was that one of the Doctor's missions or some sort of fake memory and in that case why? Why were the two dudes still the same age? Was it just some absolute fanwank about humans thinking Gallifrey is somewhere in Ireland?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Organza Quiz posted:

Hey so what was actually up with those Ireland bits? Was that one of the Doctor's missions or some sort of fake memory and in that case why? Why were the two dudes still the same age? Was it just some absolute fanwank about humans thinking Gallifrey is somewhere in Ireland?

It was an allegorical remnant memory of her life in Section 31 and before the mind wipe that reset her as 1.

Kid gets found, gets raised and adopted, falls off a cliff but then survives etc etc.

Gravastars
Sep 9, 2011

The way I see it, Doctor Who is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don’t always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don’t always spoil the good things and make them unimportant.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/jonnelledge/status/1234869067716136960?s=21

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gravastars posted:

The way I see it, Doctor Who is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don’t always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don’t always spoil the good things and make them unimportant.

Except when they dump a huge steaming pile of poo poo on us like they did Sunday. Then everything is covered in poo poo.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Why would someone hate an episode that ends with a guy saying he fucks a paving tile?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
This is odd, I'm the one in the position of thinking it wasn't that bad when I expected to be the one arguing it wasn't that great.

The Big Twist doesn't actually bother me at all? Like if you wanna argue nature v nurture, the Doc did have her memory wiped of all that Division stuff and then decided she was bored and to steal a TARDIS with her granddaughter, etc. New person, clean slate, wasn't at all thinking about anything else.

Granted Ruth having a Police Box too is... weird. I dunno, may just be a coincidence.

But like that I don't mind, it's a weird wrinkle, the Doctor now doesn't really know where she's from or how she ended up here, there's some potential in that.

Also did not mind the "Cyber Time Lords" having silly hats and all, because OF COURSE the Master would do that.

Things I do mind, the climax being Parting of the Ways except instead of Rose it's some guy who's like "This is fine, I'm kinda actually responsible for all this, long story, just run". That was cheap (and you could see it happening because earlier he's like "Well I've lived a long time, I'm not expecting to survive this.")

Also things I mind, the Time Lords being all dead again. In the long term this... doesn't actually enhance the story much, like it was a thing for the Doctor to be shook by for a few episodes. Did kinda feel like Chibnall didn't like Moffat bringing Gallifrey back so he's like "No, gone again!" Granted this seems like it's more easily reversed, not from a plot perspective but from the perspective of this not really being as important as the Time War so undoing it would be no biggie.

(Also, HOW did the Master do all that? Like, yeah, he's a supervillain and has accomplished some big things, and it'd be hard to visualize this, but... seriously did he just flip a switch or something.)

And as much as I'm enjoying Sacha Dhawan, maybe making the whole infodump... an infodump was a problem.

I dunno, a lot of it was entertaining in the moment. Dhawan's performance, impeccable. The monster stuff, fine, there were a lot of cool scenes, but it lacks cohesion.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

*watches finale*

*literally throws teacup across the room at the reveal*

Alright, fine, whatever, Time Lords are dicks, that's nothing new

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

The Big Twist doesn't actually bother me at all? Like if you wanna argue nature v nurture, the Doc did have her memory wiped of all that Division stuff and then decided she was bored and to steal a TARDIS with her granddaughter, etc. New person, clean slate, wasn't at all thinking about anything else.

Granted Ruth having a Police Box too is... weird. I dunno, may just be a coincidence.

But like that I don't mind, it's a weird wrinkle, the Doctor now doesn't really know where she's from or how she ended up here, there's some potential in that.

Also did not mind the "Cyber Time Lords" having silly hats and all, because OF COURSE the Master would do that.

Things I do mind, the climax being Parting of the Ways except instead of Rose it's some guy who's like "This is fine, I'm kinda actually responsible for all this, long story, just run". That was cheap (and you could see it happening because earlier he's like "Well I've lived a long time, I'm not expecting to survive this.")

Also things I mind, the Time Lords being all dead again. In the long term this... doesn't actually enhance the story much, like it was a thing for the Doctor to be shook by for a few episodes. Did kinda feel like Chibnall didn't like Moffat bringing Gallifrey back so he's like "No, gone again!" Granted this seems like it's more easily reversed, not from a plot perspective but from the perspective of this not really being as important as the Time War so undoing it would be no biggie.

(Also, HOW did the Master do all that? Like, yeah, he's a supervillain and has accomplished some big things, and it'd be hard to visualize this, but... seriously did he just flip a switch or something.)

And as much as I'm enjoying Sacha Dhawan, maybe making the whole infodump... an infodump was a problem.

I dunno, a lot of it was entertaining in the moment. Dhawan's performance, impeccable. The monster stuff, fine, there were a lot of cool scenes, but it lacks cohesion.

You summed up my feelings on the episode succinctly.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 3, 2020

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
yeah

It's not quite a Moffat final episode crash, but it feels more like a stage magician making a mistake on stage and pretending it didn't happen.

It went boink.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
This is a show about a magical time traveling alien who fights genocidal trash cans, the fact that some people are getting so worked up over that twist is bizarre to me.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I don't get why you're so shocked that people who care about Doctor Who care about what happens in Doctor Who.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
you can have a ridiculous premise and not have poo poo writing

it's a fine aspiration, sometimes this show even pulls it off

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The current showrunner has rewritten the backstory of a 57 year old show in a way which clashes with the plots of a number of previous episodes, to suit his own tastes. That's bound to rub people the wrong way. He presumably has a lot of confidence that he can stick the landing with this, so I guess let's wait and see for the next series in... 2022 or so?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

2house2fly posted:

The current showrunner has rewritten the backstory of a 57 6 year old show in a way which clashes with the plots of a number of previous episodes, to suit his own tastes.

I refuse to recognise the existence of the time lords

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

The episode itself was pretty fun. Cyberlords were hilarious. Master's plan was bonkers but had the right scale and energy for the Master's plan.

I'm not sure about destroying Gallifrey again. It's okay if it's destroyed, but I feel like a lot of emotional energy went into finding out it was okay and then recovering it. And then it just gets destroyed again. This is going to make the 50th feel kind of pointless in retrospect. A story that makes previous stories worse is... not ideal.

But that's not a huge deal. The Lone Cyberman was as interesting a villain as the Cybermen have basically ever been. Even if he did ultimately have a dumb plan that got upstaged by the Master, that all really worked for me. The episode was pretty enjoyable nonsense overall.

Except...

DoctorWhat posted:

i'm loving furious. this magical destiny crap is fascist as hell.
100% this.

I had to do a lot of compartmentalizing to enjoy anything else about this episode, because this twist is utter loathsome trash.

Doctor Who, a compassionate anarchistic renegade hero, is in secret actual fact a chosen aristocrat of special birth.

Like, I'm not wringing my hands over pre-Hartnel regenerations, or even a secret-secret police hidden past. I think the name "Doctor" and the police box tardis are dumb continuity problems, but whatever.

It's 100% the special magical destiny crap. The implication being to be a great person you need to have a special origin or some poo poo.

I was actually on board with the start of that backstory because it emphasized that Time Lords were just some random schlubs who, for one reason or another, found themselves with a lot of power. That was a good message. But the following twist that the Time Lords were nothing special but the Doctor was, just completely undercut everything we thought we valued about the Doctor. Her great compassion or intelligence or whatever else is positive about her... these aren't things anyone else can necessarily aspire to. They might be the natural consequences of her being the special ~Timeless Child~

Why are we telling stupid loving stories like this in 2020?

Perhaps children can continue to dream that maybe one day they'll feel like they have value by discovering they were adopted and their real parents were special.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I mean the Doctor always came from a place of privilege. She was always from the aristocratic class, someone who could travel freely and not worry about money or work or having a place to sleep and could just go around and do things. It's sort of an archetype, the quaint English eccentric who can afford to be eccentric. She uses that power for good, absolutely, but part of her character has always been having this power of independence and using it to help the less fortunate.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I will say I'm not exactly shocked that Chibnall apparently gave the Doctor a brand new "magical destiny" origin that reeks of the Doctor apparently being just naturally superior, given that his run thus far has had some episodes with very sketchy premises (such as the Amazon-esque "workers should just accept their lot" one).

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Rochallor posted:

I would go so far as to say that if you don't like Love & Monsters I'm not sure what you're getting out of Doctor Who.

I thought L&M was absolute garbage from top to bottom, and it still took Moffat's run to make me give up on modern DW.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Probably it'll turn out whatever race the Doctor actually comes from is evil, so the Doctor can still be a self-made good person and all that. Like Rey being nice even though her grandad is the emperor

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I am just shocked at how loving terrible the writing on this show has become overall. Jodie deserves so much better.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Rassilon being the Timeless Child would have been more coherent, just to add "wasn't really from Gallifrey, just made stuff up to add to his legend" to the list of bad things Rassilon has done. It's pretty consistent with his character.

Yas and Ryan have been pretty dull companions - I feel bad for the actors, because they're trying, but haven't been giving any characterisation to work with. Graham feels like the only complete character, and Bradley Walsh has the best chemistry with Whittaker. Bill was a great companion because she had an arc and personality, Ryan and Yas feel like they're kinda...there. Again, not the fault of the actors, its the writing.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I am just shocked at how loving terrible the writing on this show has become overall. Jodie deserves so much better.

I could swear I read this said ad nauseam but about Peter Capaldi.

I'm sure someone has said say the same about Matt Smith's and Tenant's run and maybe even many of the classic Doctors.

I guess my point is that Doctor Who doesn't seem like the pinnacle of great writing yes somehow it manages to be a fun show regardless.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Every Doctor has been let down by the writing at some point, this is just routine. To be completely honest, I’ve never watched Doctor Who for the plot or the lore, I’m here for the portrayal of the Doctor and (to a lesser extent) the companions.

Which isn’t to say that poo poo writing is inexcusable, it’s just that it doesn’t bother me as much here as it would on something else.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
RTD era: The Force Awakens
Moffat era: The Last Jedi
Cibnall era: The Rise of Skywalker

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Force Awakens is really terrible though.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Rhyno posted:

So it's a pretty apt comparison then :v:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

I was going to say, could we swap RTD and Moffat

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
This is more of an analogy than 1:1 comparisons.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Force Awakens is RTD's big emotions schtick without his focus on political and social issues

Last Jedi is Moffat's fondness for writerliness and playing with story elements and structure, without his sitcom-honed talent for snappy dialogue

Rise Of Skywalker is a list of things Bob Iger wrote on a napkin while having a fit of madness and handed to the scriptwriter and said "make sure all these are in the movie" and I'm not qualified to say how applicable that is to Chibs

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
How many bodies has the Master had now anyway?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

OldMemes posted:

How many bodies has the Master had now anyway?

I vaguely recall that it's nine or ten official in the show, depending on if you count CGI Snake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Cleretic posted:

I vaguely recall that it's nine or ten official in the show, depending on if you count CGI Snake.

Why would you not?