Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

Asking for help with what I think technically falls under eurorack/modular synth controls.

I have a Simmons SDS-800 drum brain that has no MIDI support. All of the trigger inputs work with the one Simmons hex pad that I have, but my V-drum pads don’t send a strong enough signal to trigger the SDS.

I bought a BeatStep Pro to try the Gate outputs, and here’s where I’m concerned. The BSP sends a 12V gate signal, but the SDS-800 manual says Simmons pads only send a 5V signal. The sensitivity of the SDS brain inputs can be tweaked but I don’t know if that will be enough of a buffer.

Any suggestions beside spending $200+ dollars on a eurorack attenuator or tracking down Simmons’ Commodore 64 software?

Basic passive attenuators like these

https://koma-elektronik.com/?product=koma-attenuator-cable

Or solder one if you are into DYI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
you cant drop gate voltage in the BSP software like in the keystep?
E: see above

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Ugh, I saw that youtube "ad" they did for it this morning. I guess it's been taken down since then.

I really want to buy a bunch of their stuff because it's quite literally the only way I'll ever be able to own most of those particular pieces but Uli (and frankly a lot of Behringer's fans, esp the ones who think they're sticking it to Moog for doing unacceptable poo poo like supporting trans artists by telling people to buy CRAVEs or whatever) makes it really difficult to do that without feeling like a poo poo sometimes.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Clavavisage posted:

you cant drop gate voltage in the BSP software like in the keystep?

Currently you can only adjust the sequencer CV, not the drum gates.

I’ll look into those cables, though. Thanks everyone!

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Passive attenuation, yeah. Ohm's Law is your friend.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Ugh, I saw that youtube "ad" they did for it this morning. I guess it's been taken down since then.

I really want to buy a bunch of their stuff because it's quite literally the only way I'll ever be able to own most of those particular pieces but Uli (and frankly a lot of Behringer's fans, esp the ones who think they're sticking it to Moog for doing unacceptable poo poo like supporting trans artists by telling people to buy CRAVEs or whatever) makes it really difficult to do that without feeling like a poo poo sometimes.

whats the CRAVE thing?

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

First targeting critics on a forum, then antisemitic tropes towards a journalist, Behringer has become the first fully fascist synth company! Might be the only original thing they have ever done.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

massive spider posted:

whats the CRAVE thing?

It's Behringer's cheapest synth, and more-or-less a direct Mother 32 clone.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

ricecult posted:

First targeting critics on a forum, then antisemitic tropes towards a journalist, Behringer has become the first fully fascist synth company! Might be the only original thing they have ever done.

No no you see it's Pinocchio! Cuz he's a liar!

Of course, I parsed it as antisemitic right off the bat, but I'm sure that'd be the company line.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Also LOL that Uli is so loving thin-skinned that he's basically attacking a gear reviewer for being... critical? I've read CDM for a long time and if anything, Kirn seems to be one of very few veteran reviewers that's willing to actually say "Synth x is good but not all it's cracked up to be" which, if anything, is an absolute breath of fresh air in a climate of Youtube gear reviewers who have almost nothing but effusive praise for whatever they get handed.

I'm sure it's got more to do with Peter being broadly critical of how Behringer's business model hurts gear makers that are actually innovating and developing new ideas, but even that criticism was a lot more analytical than just saying "Behringer's poo poo, buy more Moog" or whatever.

I wonder how badly Behringer is getting hurt by their supply chain getting gutted by coronavirus or whatever. It wouldn't be the first time Uli's intentionally drummed up controversy for sales.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Electric Bugaloo posted:

It's Behringer's cheapest synth, and more-or-less a direct Mother 32 clone.

I think they meant in the context of that entire parenthetical, and I'd like some background as well.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

I think they meant in the context of that entire parenthetical, and I'd like some background as well.

Lol, I was half-joking.

Ok, so lots of people like to hate on Moog/KORG/etc and cheerlead Behringer because Behringer’s clones make old expensive synths accessible to people who otherwise could never ever get them, and there’s a perception that some of these other companies like to trade on the cachet of their brand or their beloved old products in order to unfairly gouge customers. Reasonable enough, whether you agree with that sentiment or not.

But there’s another contingent of people, who particularly hate Moog- partially because of their twee/quasi-lifestyle branding and promotion, partially because of feelings related to dollar value/product costs/speed of innovation/etc, but very emphatically because Moog is “an sjw company” that “deserves to go bankrupt and die”.

Rightabouts when Moog was releasing the M32, when the election was happening, and #MeToo, and gamergate, and there was a lot of dialogue about women and lgbtq people in the music business, Moog made a public statement saying that they wanted to feature more women and queer/non-binary folks in their promotional materials and artist features/collaborations going forward. Sure enough, when M32 launched the bulk of official performance demos and teasers were done by women.

And dudes on gearslutz and in the sonicstate comments sections flipped. a. poo poo. These melodic arpeggiated robot farts with no discernible beginning or end are bad! Maybe if Moog weren’t such SJWs they’d hire a competent synthesizer player to make robot farts that would doubtlessly be superior! Never gonna buy another Moog product ever!

And when the Behringer D came out, a bunch of them decided to sing its praises and encourage people to buy it simply because it was a Model D clone. A small contingent has hung around ever since. Sometimes if you recommend a Moog product to somebody online or bring up Behringer clones in the context of moral quandary/wanting to support good industry jobs any sort of context you’ll get one of these brain champions telling you why bankrupting Moog is a goal worth doing.

And while I’m sure Uli doesn’t have any personal animus toward lgbtq people or toward Moog’s inclusivity goals he was perfectly happy to soak up all the adulation from those guys and participate in their threads and answer their comments when the D came out.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

efb

Moog are quite inclusively feminist in their artist promotion and marketing copy, and lots of internet chuds think that's worthy of boycott/design cloning on its own.

Other than that, I'm not sure what else there is to say.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
So with Korg hiring for their new R&D facility in Berlin I think I'm going to try and land a job interview. To that end, I went out and bought a NTS-1. What killer oscillator should I write for it, to show them why I should be their next inventor guy?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

i just like making beep boop noises and talking with other people about beep boop noises

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I guess I'm just asking what's the coolest beep to boop.

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Spreading the Nite Crew cancer one volunteer shift at a time.

well poo poo, knowing that, now i want the grandmother again, but all my money and space are gone

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Pillow Face posted:

well poo poo, knowing that, now i want the grandmother again, but all my money and space are gone

that's ok, the matriarch seems way better anyway.

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747

snorch posted:

I guess I'm just asking what's the coolest beep to boop.

Whatever you're beeping at the moment is the coolest beep to boop.

When not making noise all your gear is just expensive furniture and licenses.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Huh. I'm not particularly looking to buy a hardware synth (animoog is good enough for me), but if I do it'll basically be a moog now on the strength of their software synth and not-being-jerks

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I wasn’t aware of any of this crap, but now I feel even better about the Minitaur I just got.

Also, Lisa Bella Donna’s Moog demos are the best.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Shart Carbuncle posted:

I wasn’t aware of any of this crap, but now I feel even better about the Minitaur I just got.

Also, Lisa Bella Donna’s Moog demos are the best.

I’m assuming you got it used, because otherwise you’d have gotten a Sirin right?

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I’m assuming you got it used, because otherwise you’d have gotten a Sirin right?

Yeah, for $350 I can live with the limitations.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Moog sirin or bass station 2? Or something else? I don’t have any hardware synths anymore. Just a QY 100 and an SU 10

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

A MIRACLE posted:

Moog sirin or bass station 2? Or something else? I don’t have any hardware synths anymore. Just a QY 100 and an SU 10

SE-02 :getin:

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

A MIRACLE posted:

That's a cool setup imo. I'm using a qy300 with an akai s2000 so kinda similar. I'd prefer a desktop format sampler though!

Went to a bunch of outstanding synth shops in Tokyo, might post some pics when I get home. Saw multiple piles of 808s/909s just stacked up in corners lol. If you get the chance go to Five G in Shibuya, pretty much the whole shop is set up for you to play with. Really enjoyed getting to try out stuff I've only read about or watched on YouTube, all the classic roland stuff etc. Shout outs to the old yamaha cs-5 and moog source which were way cooler and more great sounding than I expected.

field balm fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 3, 2020

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

snorch posted:

So with Korg hiring for their new R&D facility in Berlin I think I'm going to try and land a job interview. To that end, I went out and bought a NTS-1. What killer oscillator should I write for it, to show them why I should be their next inventor guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSRJ4VIoP-A

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Eww there’s so much better stuff now, even if you don’t wanna buy Behringer.

Op, what hardware did you used to have?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I’m sorry, I’m sure it’s a lovely synthesizer but the Boutique form factor sucks so bad. I’d trade in my tr08 and 09 in a heartbeat if they weren’t kawaii, and somehow kinda better looking as objets d’art than the behringer analog clones.

At some point I’ll probably wind up with the clones too. Analog and full size, what’re ya gonna do?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Eww there’s so much better stuff now, even if you don’t wanna buy Behringer.

Op, what hardware did you used to have?

I’ve had tons of gear. I love trading things around on craigslist. Just downsized cause I moved into a smaller place.

I have a tb 03 that I forgot to mention that I have a lot of patterns programmed into. Might try to drive it from the QY. I have the Yamaha P515 piano now so I don’t think I need more keyboards, was just exploring modules mostly

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
the coolest beep to boop is the friends we made along the way

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
So this leaked. Polyend Tracker.

https://www.synthanatomy.com/2020/03/polyend-tracker-audio-workstation-with-sampler-syntheszer-fm.html

If you're into trackers this looks like a pretty cool device. I have a friend who has been doing trackers and renoise since the 80s - curious to see his thoughts on it.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Philthy posted:

So this leaked. Polyend Tracker.

https://www.synthanatomy.com/2020/03/polyend-tracker-audio-workstation-with-sampler-syntheszer-fm.html

If you're into trackers this looks like a pretty cool device.

Dear god. This is so extremely my jam, in what might be the dumbest way possible.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Yeah I’m also real interested. I love trackers a lot and wouldn’t mind more battery powered ones to take around places.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Finally a QY700 successor lol

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Really hoping this has a bunch of output as well as the built in stuff. Multiple CV/Gate with this would be amazing.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

toadee posted:

Really hoping this has a bunch of output as well as the built in stuff. Multiple CV/Gate with this would be amazing.

Yeah if this would work as a sequencer brain for a whole setup it'd be my dream machine, for whatever reason trackers have always made much more sense to me than most x0x or Elektron style sequencers (which is kind of all I've been exposed to)

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

MockingQuantum posted:

Yeah if this would work as a sequencer brain for a whole setup it'd be my dream machine, for whatever reason trackers have always made much more sense to me than most x0x or Elektron style sequencers (which is kind of all I've been exposed to)

Yeah I've used trackers since Amiga Protracker sometime around like 1990, and I still use Renoise now. Been really wanting to move to some kind of hardware based setup but its daunting to know whether or not the sequencer I blow a bunch of money on will work for me.

augias
Apr 7, 2009

toadee posted:

The manufacturers other sequencers are midi only, but their modular products have cv stuff (obviously). Agree its really sweet. I never moved past using Buzz;, time is top down and automation is in hex damnit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Philthy posted:

If you're into trackers this looks like a pretty cool device. I have a friend who has been doing trackers and renoise since the 80s - curious to see his thoughts on it.

I imagine it costs a fair amount... what's the advantage of using this over an okay laptop running Renoise? Can it even use VSTs?