Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

1) music has gotten better every decade. whatever your favorite genre of music is, the best album ever made in that genre probably came out some time in the past 15 years. it might be really *really* obscure but it's out there. pop music is mostly bad right now, but that doesn't matter.

2) there is an audible difference between flac and even the absolute best AAC out there.

3) there may be a difference between between hi-res and redbook. the problem is that most of the tests done in the past that found no audible difference used classic rock, yacht rock, jazz fusion albums from the 1970s... the stereotypical 'audiophile' albums... none of those things were recorded in high enough quality to begin with to get any benefits. the noise floor on analog mastertapes is too high.

all analog formats are standard definition. and most digital recordings in the 90s and 00s were mastered in 16 bit 44 khz, so there's no extra information to add to them by upscaling the file. this also means 99% of hi-res files on streaming sites and for personal download are bullshit. they're selling containers full of extra zeroes. the only hi-res files that are actually hi-res had to be recorded in 24bit/96khz from the offset, and all components of the recording--microphones, samples, ADCs, etc. have to have that same level. very few studios out there actually do that.

4) 2D sonic is better than 2D mario

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

If you say you can tell the difference between FLAC and mp3 you're a liar who loves to sniff your own farts. Just play music straight from the CD if you care so much about having the utmost quality.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I'm an okay person who doesn't deserve to die on some dumb hill

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Varg posted:

If you say you can tell the difference between FLAC and mp3 you're a liar who loves to sniff your own farts. Just play music straight from the CD if you care so much about having the utmost quality.

Thank you for making my post short.

Also just play vinyl.

Also power violence died in the mid 90s. Most other genres keep developing.

DrowningInDreams
Mar 13, 2009

Dilettante lizard
All of my opinions are this

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Bodyholes posted:

1) music has gotten better every decade. whatever your favorite genre of music is, the best album ever made in that genre probably came out some time in the past 15 years. it might be really *really* obscure but it's out there. pop music is mostly bad right now, but that doesn't matter.

2) there is an audible difference between flac and even the absolute best AAC out there.

3) there may be a difference between between hi-res and redbook. the problem is that most of the tests done in the past that found no audible difference used classic rock, yacht rock, jazz fusion albums from the 1970s... the stereotypical 'audiophile' albums... none of those things were recorded in high enough quality to begin with to get any benefits. the noise floor on analog mastertapes is too high.

all analog formats are standard definition. and most digital recordings in the 90s and 00s were mastered in 16 bit 44 khz, so there's no extra information to add to them by upscaling the file. this also means 99% of hi-res files on streaming sites and for personal download are bullshit. they're selling containers full of extra zeroes. the only hi-res files that are actually hi-res had to be recorded in 24bit/96khz from the offset, and all components of the recording--microphones, samples, ADCs, etc. have to have that same level. very few studios out there actually do that.

4) 2D sonic is better than 2D mario
lol somebody double-blind this nerd lord and make him humble

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

If an audiophile dies on a hill and there is no one around to hear it does anyone really care?

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

When an audiophile catches flak he really hears it

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Hill to die on constant

Anyone who spends money above the point of diminishing returns is insufferable

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If someone has made better ska, rockabilly, or Men without Hats albums in the past 15 years than in the eighties, well, I'd be glad if someone told me what they were so I could listen to them, thanks in advance :kiddo:

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
mario games are boring and mario as a character is overrated

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

the video game mickey mouse

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Bodyholes posted:

the only hi-res files that are actually hi-res had to be recorded in 24bit/96khz from the offset, and all components of the recording--microphones, samples, ADCs, etc. have to have that same level. very few studios out there actually do that.

Pretty much every entry level USB audio interface can operate at 24bit/192khz and every decent daw on the market can work at that bitrate/sample rate. Microphones are analog so no worries there. Lossy samples are pretty common so I'll give you that one.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
FLAC is good and storage is cheap

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene
Bluetooth is largely a poo poo technology that cuts out even using expensive headsets at a close distance to the source.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Wires are great. Mobile stuff is for over-achievers and posers.

(Posted from an honest-to-god desktop pc through a god-fearing gray ethernet cable)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Animal Hill: If you publicly express that you are not a dog person nor a cat person, the other other possible type is poo poo person

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

Animal Hill: If you publicly express that you are not a dog person nor a cat person, the other other possible type is poo poo person

I'm more of a rodent guy. What do you have against hamsters

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

who rated mario as a character to begin with

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Fleetwood Crack posted:

Bluetooth is largely a poo poo technology that cuts out even using expensive headsets at a close distance to the source.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Icochet posted:

I'm more of a rodent guy. What do you have against hamsters

One bit my wife

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

ikanreed posted:

One bit my wife

Hamsters bite even those they love. It’s just what they do.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Hamsters bite even those they love. It’s just what they do.

Cucked by a 200 gram coprophage :whitewater:

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Icochet posted:

Wires are great. Mobile stuff is for over-achievers and posers.

(Posted from an honest-to-god desktop pc through a god-fearing gray ethernet cable)
hell yeah. i used to do everything wireless that i could, but after having printer issues over wireless, i have an 8 port hub plugged into my router so i can run a real loving cable to my printer, NAS, Hue bridge, TV, a/v receiver, apple TV, and etc. if it has an ethernet jack in my house, it’s getting hard-wired. i even had my ISP guy change the ethernet wiring in my apartment so i could make sure my desktop is wired to my router via the in-wall cat5

wireless works great and is crazy fast in 2019, plus i have mine running on the best frequencies based on a site survey. however, i just don’t want to have to worry about it being finicky when i have a connectivity problem. the only thing i don’t have wired are smart home outlets, phones, laptop, and harmony hub. i even go to the trouble of making sequential DHCP reservations for everything because i’m a quack.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

TenementFunster posted:

hell yeah. i used to do everything wireless that i could, but after having printer issues over wireless, i have an 8 port hub plugged into my router so i can run a real loving cable to my printer, NAS, Hue bridge, TV, a/v receiver, apple TV, and etc. if it has an ethernet jack in my house, it’s getting hard-wired. i even had my ISP guy change the ethernet wiring in my apartment so i could make sure my desktop is wired to my router via the in-wall cat5

wireless works great and is crazy fast in 2019, plus i have mine running on the best frequencies based on a site survey. however, i just don’t want to have to worry about it being finicky when i have a connectivity problem. the only thing i don’t have wired are smart home outlets, phones, laptop, and harmony hub. i even go to the trouble of making sequential DHCP reservations for everything because i’m a quack.

My wireless network is so solid I have a hard time imagining a situation where going to the trouble of wiring everything would make any sense. I guess if you had a poo poo-ton of EM interference in your area then it would justify it (loving HAM radio operators, for instance), or I suppose being in an apartment complex with enough routers stepping on each other's signal all the time.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

CaptainSarcastic posted:

My wireless network is so solid I have a hard time imagining a situation where going to the trouble of wiring everything would make any sense. I guess if you had a poo poo-ton of EM interference in your area then it would justify it (loving HAM radio operators, for instance), or I suppose being in an apartment complex with enough routers stepping on each other's signal all the time.
my printer was losing connection up when i put it on wireless, so i just said gently caress it and wired up everything that doesn’t move. also yeah i’m in a big-rear end apartment complex downtown, so even finding a lesser-utilized frequency range for my 2.4 and 5.0ghz networks was hard enough. we still occasionally get connectivity issues on our phones even with maximum autism effort.

honestly i had a bunch of old cat5e/cat6 in storage so buying a ~$20 8 port router was the most expensive part. the bigger pain was organizing all the cables, but that was a 90 minute job that I did during a move. It Just Works!

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Bodyholes posted:

Pop music is better now than it has ever been in human history.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Dragon Age 2 is actually an extremely good video game.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Backup glasses suck balls :flipoff:

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Bodyholes posted:

2D sonic is better than 2D mario
there were 2 back to back perfect mario games
meanwhile the whole point of a sonic game mustve been to memorize where the walls and spikes that will get in your way are so you can keep going fast. if you actually bother to explore the levels theyre dumb as hell. youll find some powerup that lasts 15 seconds at the end of an area that takes 15 seconds to get back from

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

gary oldmans diary posted:

there were 2 back to back perfect mario games
meanwhile the whole point of a sonic game mustve been to memorize where the walls and spikes that will get in your way are so you can keep going fast. if you actually bother to explore the levels theyre dumb as hell. youll find some powerup that lasts 15 seconds at the end of an area that takes 15 seconds to get back from

:hmmyes:

2D Sonic is really fun and Sonic Mania is great, but at the end of the day it's a terrible design philosophy. It encourages great speedrunning but is full of cheap traps to actively punish you and/or slow segments, and both break up the endorphin rush of the speedrunning too much to be fun unless you really enjoy making TAS videos where savestating/restarting is a virtue.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
It should be like this all the time, late sun is better than early sun, anyone who wants early sun should be thrown into Guantanamo to die, daylights savings is the dumbest loving poo poo

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Do it ironically posted:

It should be like this all the time, late sun is better than early sun, anyone who wants early sun should be thrown into Guantanamo to die, daylights savings is the dumbest loving poo poo
your stance and the argument you make are in opposition. dst makes it so you arent sleeping through daylight at 5am and instead get to enjoy it at 9pm

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

I’m mostly just annoyed I have young kids and it completely messes them up for days just keep it the same

Yes this makes no sense and is completely irrational

Do it ironically fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Mar 9, 2020

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Do it ironically posted:

Whatever the word or group of words that has the sun staying out later, that’s the hill

I’m mostly just annoyed I have young kids and it completely messes them up for days just keep it the same

Yes this makes no sense and is completely irrational

No, I will join you on this hill. Changing the clocks is utter bullshit and needs to stop. Oregon and Washington have voted to go to year-round DST, and are just waiting for California to finalize their law to do the same and then have the US Congress approve it. The time-change fucks me up every year, and it has become increasingly pointless thanks to this newfangled thing called electricity.

I would actually be fine just going to year-round Standard time, which is what Arizona and Hawaii do. Just stop messing with the goddamn clocks.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I too loving hate daylight savings time.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

CaptainSarcastic posted:

No, I will join you on this hill. Changing the clocks is utter bullshit and needs to stop. Oregon and Washington have voted to go to year-round DST, and are just waiting for California to finalize their law to do the same and then have the US Congress approve it. The time-change fucks me up every year, and it has become increasingly pointless thanks to this newfangled thing called electricity.

I would actually be fine just going to year-round Standard time, which is what Arizona and Hawaii do. Just stop messing with the goddamn clocks.

Here in BC they have approved it as well and are waiting till you west coast Americans do it then we will

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
People that switch lanes because a cop has pulled someone over are more dangerous than just driving straight

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

As far as slang goes, "slaps" is some terrible, lame rear end poo poo.

"Yeet" is extremely good just so I don't completely sound like a crotchety old man here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
David Bowie looked like a desiccated mummy back in the Ziggy Stardust days. He looked healthier when he was 70 years old and dying of cancer.