Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'm glad you were able to get it to work, what a nightmare. And yeah there are a lot of problems these days especially on the MacOS side. I like the direction of the changes to 64 bit and Apple File System but it's really exposed what sections of the OS are handled by teams that just don't have the same level of competency as the people who built the bedrocks of it all or who are handling some of the deeper stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Goddamn, is there anyway to get the three-column music browser back at the top? The new lighter interface suuuuuucks for managing a collection.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Less Fat Luke posted:

Goddamn, is there anyway to get the three-column music browser back at the top? The new lighter interface suuuuuucks for managing a collection.

It's back in 10.15.2 beta.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

kefkafloyd posted:

It's back in 10.15.2 beta.

Holy poo poo, nice!

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
This may be the wrong place for this, considering it’s on the mobile end, but what’s up with fast forward being locked to 30 seconds on the iPhone 11? I liked being able to skip the whole song, not have to unlock/screw with my phone. Likely me just being dumb but have not been able to figure a fix (some random tracks have the old buttons still, but very few).

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

This may be the wrong place for this, considering it’s on the mobile end, but what’s up with fast forward being locked to 30 seconds on the iPhone 11? I liked being able to skip the whole song, not have to unlock/screw with my phone. Likely me just being dumb but have not been able to figure a fix (some random tracks have the old buttons still, but very few).

Huh?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Are the songs classified as podcasts or audiobooks? That's the only explanation I can think of.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Yeah, that’s definitely not a universal iPhone 11 thing.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Alright, 5th try to post a reply here :argh:

I’m not sure what the issue might be, could be file type/classification fuckery, I did use a 3rd party program to port my music over (almost none of it is Apple store bought, so I don’t think the cloud would retain it). I lost the library I was synced to in a HD crash a few months ago and didn’t want to spend countless hours rebuilding it from scratch.

I guess maybe I should just stick to using hard controls on BT peripherals? Works in my car so far, haven’t tried headphones (just occurred to me).

Leaving screenshot out in hopes this will actually post...

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Leaving screenshot out in hopes this will actually post...
Are you perhaps on a WiFi network where imgur is blocked? When I'm at work I need to take the phone off WiFi in order to see/post imgur stuff (which is what Awful.app uses).

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Minidust posted:

Are you perhaps on a WiFi network where imgur is blocked? When I'm at work I need to take the phone off WiFi in order to see/post imgur stuff (which is what Awful.app uses).

I’m on cellular, so I don’t know why it would interfere (aside from my cell provider being dumb). I’m still a bit paranoid about work wifi haha. Attaching it directly sends the post into unending load though.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If your mobile provider blocks adult content by default until you enable it then imgur can get swept up in that

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

I can circumvent whatever fuckery and host it directly, just curious if it would help? Was just my lock screen showing the wrong buttons. Otherwise I’m guessing my hardware solution will have to be it.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Try uploading it manually to https://imgur.com/upload and going from there.

If you try to do it within the Awful app, it'll try to use the Imgur API, which has limits and can time out.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Chris Knight posted:

Try uploading it manually to https://imgur.com/upload and going from there.

If you try to do it within the Awful app, it'll try to use the Imgur API, which has limits and can time out.

This must be one hi-res screenshot, it’s timed out twice. Will try again later on WiFi. This is a lot of build up for what will be an entirely underwhelming photo, I suspect.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

in the new version released a few weeks ago, is it no longer possible to sort by artists then year in a playlist?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I'm still sorting by Artist/Year in my playlists on the latest version.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

mac or pc? i’m on pc.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

also, does anyone adjust the bit depth and sample rate? does it hurt to max them out? i have an external dac as well, and it supports 32bit and 768 khz. not really sure if any of this matters, though?

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Dec 30, 2019

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Sorry, forgot to reply. I'm on a Mac using the latest version of "Music". I don't bother adjusting the sample rate since 90% of my music collection is CD rips.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I think my favorite feature that’s been around forever is, if you’re listening to an Apple Music playlist (my new music, etc), and you come across a song you like and want to add. You hit add to library and it stops the playback of the song.

Violator
May 15, 2003

My favorite thing is how I'll add an album and then Apple Music / Music apps will redistribute the songs within that album into multiple unrelated albums with one or two tracks in each.

For example, I added an Elvis album. When I come back to my library later the songs that were from that album are now listed in about a dozen other albums that have those songs in them instead of listing them all together in the original album:

Jackass Number 2 Soundtrack - A Little Less Conversation
Clambake (Official Soundtrack) - Big Boss Man
King Creole (Offical Soundtrack) - Trouble
etc.

I don't know if this is because it's a "Best Of" album, but I've had it with other artists. I have the loving House TV show soundtrack randomly in my library because I originally added a Joe Cocker album.

Edit: Or I'll add a specific album and then come back later and half the tracks are in the album I added and the other half are now listed in a separate "Deluxe Edition" version of the album. So I can't play it straight through because now the songs are split up between two very similar albums. Why the gently caress does it change what I've added myself by hand?!

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I have an itunes library with thousands of songs. Many of these are from mp3 mixtapes, so the album title is something like "jwz mixtape ###". Most of remainder of the library are traditional albums imported from CD.

I want to make a smart playlist that excludes all the mixtape songs (so, items with jwz in title) and, of the remainder, simply filters for any artist where I have >10 songs from that artist in the library.

Is this possible? How would you do it? If it's not possible, is there something similar that can be done? This is on Windows 10 and itunes 12.10.3.1, if it matters.

I do already have a smart list for filtering out the mixtape songs, so I know that part is possible.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

There's nothing built in for the smart playlists that would count the number of songs in an artist's name, so that wouldn't work for that. You'd have to make that playlist manually with the songs, and then exclude that playlist.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

IUG posted:

There's nothing built in for the smart playlists that would count the number of songs in an artist's name, so that wouldn't work for that. You'd have to make that playlist manually with the songs, and then exclude that playlist.

How about a smart list that only shows albums where you have >5 songs from the same album in the library?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

No, there's nothing in the smart playlist fields that will select parts of, or count the number of tracks, in an album. There's nothing that will tell you if you're missing a percentage of tracks, or count the number of tracks, in an album.

I wish there was, then you could make a smart playlist that shows you "hey, you're missing track 5 from this CD", but :shrug:

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

I can’t change any album art

select either a track or album & go to the get info artwork tab.
it doesn’t matter whether I delete the existing art (if any) or straight away add artwork and pick a new image file. it’ll show that change in the get info window, but as soon as I click OK the change doesn’t actually save. whatever the old, wrong, art was is still there in the library display and if I go back into get info.
editing any other tags works ok though.
I think it’s been happening ever since the Catalina upgrade.

any ideas why that’s happening?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Cerv posted:

I can’t change any album art

select either a track or album & go to the get info artwork tab.
it doesn’t matter whether I delete the existing art (if any) or straight away add artwork and pick a new image file. it’ll show that change in the get info window, but as soon as I click OK the change doesn’t actually save. whatever the old, wrong, art was is still there in the library display and if I go back into get info.
editing any other tags works ok though.
I think it’s been happening ever since the Catalina upgrade.

any ideas why that’s happening?

Album art has it's own folder in iTunes, but it seems in the Mac Music app that's not there anymore? If you're on Windows, then maybe you have an "Album Artwork" folder that you don't have permission to write to? Otherwise, I don't know where Macs store that now.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Violator posted:

My favorite thing is how I'll add an album and then Apple Music / Music apps will redistribute the songs within that album into multiple unrelated albums with one or two tracks in each.

For example, I added an Elvis album. When I come back to my library later the songs that were from that album are now listed in about a dozen other albums that have those songs in them instead of listing them all together in the original album:

Jackass Number 2 Soundtrack - A Little Less Conversation
Clambake (Official Soundtrack) - Big Boss Man
King Creole (Offical Soundtrack) - Trouble
etc.

I don't know if this is because it's a "Best Of" album, but I've had it with other artists. I have the loving House TV show soundtrack randomly in my library because I originally added a Joe Cocker album.

Edit: Or I'll add a specific album and then come back later and half the tracks are in the album I added and the other half are now listed in a separate "Deluxe Edition" version of the album. So I can't play it straight through because now the songs are split up between two very similar albums. Why the gently caress does it change what I've added myself by hand?!

I hate this so much.

Sometimes if you label the album as a compilation it’ll fix the issue. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn’t. I have no idea why AM does this since this issue never popped up when I used Spotify.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Here's something fun. I got a new computer and transferred over my music library (i.e. the entire Catalina 'Music' directory) on an external hard drive. On the new computer, none of the album art shows up, despite very clearly still being embedded in each file. Does anybody what exciting trials I have to endure to get the album art embedded in the file to actually show up?

Edit: As usual, posting the question means I immediately discover the answer myself :cool:

TACD fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 19, 2020

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Is there a way to compare my computer's library with what's on my phone? (The computer library view doesn't even seem to list total # of songs like the device view does...)

I recently moved to a new computer, but I don't know if I brought over my music library correctly - if I go to enable sync with phone it says it'll delete all my music off my phone to do the sync, but I dont know if the two libraries are the same or not.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Oxyclean posted:

Is there a way to compare my computer's library with what's on my phone? (The computer library view doesn't even seem to list total # of songs like the device view does...)

I recently moved to a new computer, but I don't know if I brought over my music library correctly - if I go to enable sync with phone it says it'll delete all my music off my phone to do the sync, but I dont know if the two libraries are the same or not.

Can you go to the Songs view on the computer and then show the status bar at the bottom to get the total songs? And then if it’s different you could use Column view to narrow down where the missing songs are?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

That helps a little, but now i'm comparing 3000+ to 1700... if I have my old PC around, is there any way to get the sync data I created previously?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
This is weird, I'm on a Mac. I keep my iTunes in an NAS. The library, media, all of it in the same folder. It's been working well forever but now it doesn't have a library file anymore. I see:

ITunes Library Extras.itdb
ITunes Library Genius.itdb
ITunes Library.xml
ITunes Music Library.xml

Then twelve "temp file x.tmp"

But no .itl files. What gives? Can I use any of these other files to rebuild it?

I also have a folder of Previous iTunes Libraries, but the most recent one of those is October 2018 so I'd rather not restore one of those.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Are you on catalina? The library file should be called something like "Music Library.musiclibrary" now. When they switched the branding stuff from itunes to music.app the library file format changed too.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

astr0man posted:

Are you on catalina? The library file should be called something like "Music Library.musiclibrary" now. When they switched the branding stuff from itunes to music.app the library file format changed too.

Nah, Mojave.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Does anyone manually manage song data like Genres? With Apple Music, I have a poo poo ton more songs now and browsing is becoming difficult because everything is so spread out. I don’t need five different sub genres of Raggae listed, and I don’t need an artist to have music in several genres if it’s all the same god damned stuff.

I used to manage stuff like this to keep everything easily browsable, but quit when I went streaming because I figured Apple would gently caress it somehow and do things like overwrite my changes or something over time.

Violator fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 3, 2020

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Genres are the one thing I won't even look at, or correct when I see it's wrong. It's too subjective, can be divided into too many subcategories, and I don't want to go through 13,000 songs to fix them. I tried a MusicBrainz thing a while back, but it didn't seem to do anything.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Yeah MusicBrainz Picard doesn't even tag genre by default. There are plugins that can pull genre info from like Last FM, but after trying it out these are more trouble than they're worth IMO. I tried one out and hated wading through the mess of random tags it would generate (Ballad, Piano, "Anime" for some reason).

Eventually I just manually re-tagged a bunch of things so I could at least get some useful filtering options for myself. I use the "Grouping" tag for subgenres. It's worked out pretty well. There's an app called Miximum I use that actually let's you use Grouping to make smart playlists, so that's been useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Why does the taskbar shortcut always break after an update? (windows 10)