Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Nighteye got done wrong.

The corridors made everything seem sort of samey.

The Mina dance bit out of nowhere in the flashback was good.

Deku was cool.

Can't Toga like wear some underwear or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Nighteye doesn't deserve to be done right, fuckin' movie-only character-rear end.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Nighteye's Quirk is dumb and he also has a weird tickle torture machine, so I'm glad he's dead

Also, it makes no sense that All Might had a sidekick and no one ever mentioned him EVER until that exact arc.

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

You do not look terribly noble and yet I feel troubled, attracted, bewitched.

I thought it was fine. It wasn't anything special and probably the least interesting so far. But it did have good moments. It did have a very strong thematic identity about the bonds of friendship in a way we don't normally see.

Binging it in a rewatch might help it out instead of seeing it week to week.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Kwyndig posted:

Can't Toga like wear some underwear or something.

You mean Togata?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

I liked the Kirishima back story, it fleshed him out a great deal.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
A series that wants to believe our protagonist can seriously, realistically injure himself should not also have a dude get a stalagmite through his entire torso and be okay to talk for like fifteen minutes

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Blockhouse posted:

A series that wants to believe our protagonist can seriously, realistically injure himself should not also have a dude get a stalagmite through his entire torso and be okay to talk for like fifteen minutes

I'd be okay if it was anyone other than Nighteye who got to talk for fifteen more minutes after taking a spike through the chest.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

I'd be okay if it was anyone other than Nighteye who got to talk for fifteen more minutes after taking a spike through the chest.

I was okay that it was night eye because the end result was that night eye died. The ends justify the means.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The_Doctor posted:

You mean Togata?

No

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Right then. She's naked so often because her power melts her clothes, and she's not easily embarrassed, so messing about with spare clothes would be a lot of effort without much benefit.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

can we not try to justify the child nudity

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

chiasaur11 posted:

Right then. She's naked so often because her power melts her clothes, and she's not easily embarrassed, so messing about with spare clothes would be a lot of effort without much benefit.

There was a character with the same issue in literally the same arc that they made special clothes to avoid this exact situation.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

It's not that her quirk melts her clothes, it's that when she copies someone's appearance, she also copies their clothes as well, so she has to take off her regular outfit to reveal the copied clothes underneath.

I have no idea how drinking someone's blood lets you copy their clothes as well, but it's all just an excuse for her to strip.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Toga is a cool and good character but I can't say why

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Junpei posted:

knives are cool, fangs are cool

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Nighteye's quirk raised some serious questions about the nature of free will in the show's universe until Horikoshi went "Oh poo poo wait uuuuuh the future can change I guess"

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Nighteye's quirk raised some serious questions about the nature of free will in the show's universe until Horikoshi went "Oh poo poo wait uuuuuh the future can change I guess"

it's that last part that i think is a problem

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
See, my headcanon is that Eri's quirk screwed with the visions because it also involves time.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Junpei posted:

See, my headcanon is that Eri's quirk screwed with the visions because it also involves time.

that at least adds an interesting wrinkle to the otherwise very pat 'hero changes destiny by believing so hard!!!'

i actually like nighteye more than the average goon but that aspect stunk real bad

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

those spikes through nighteye's body were necessary to create the speed holes he'd need in order to leave the show faster

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's one of several times in the series where it feels like Horikoshi had an idea, but then realized he went a bit too far with it and has to backpedal a bit on it.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

that kind of sums up nighteye's quirk in general: he can see people's future! [an issue or two later] but only an hour at a time! [another issue or two later] well he can do it farther than that but then it gets hazy in some vaguely explained way! [another couple of issues] and the future he sees is always right! [a lot more issues later] oh nevermind

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Junpei posted:

Eri's power isn't time based. It's biological. It reverses biology to a certain point prior to the current point. If Eri reversed time she wouldn't be able to turn a human into an ape because at no point was that human an ape, nor were their genes ever an ape's genes.

Likewise, at no point did Mirio, for example, ever not have a quirk factor. Couldn't necessarily access it when he was young, but it was always there. And the bullet made from her blood removes it entirely.

Eri's power is to reverse a person's biology on several different levels. Currently, without control, she reverses their personal physiology. Overhaul got it to the point of targeting a person's genetic lineage for reversal.

Nighteye's whole problem is that he was working alone to change the future. The way he describes his quirk when he tries to change a future he's already aware of is adding a few extra scenes, but always reverting back to the original outcome.

But once you add enough people adding enough new scenes to the movie, the movie turns out differently. Just telling All Might what was in his future with Gran Torino and Recovery Girl present may have been enough to add enough new scenes to create a new future for All Might, and Night Eye simply never knew because he never looked at All Might's future again.

Brother Entropy posted:

that kind of sums up nighteye's quirk in general: he can see people's future! [an issue or two later] but only an hour at a time! [another issue or two later] well he can do it farther than that but then it gets hazy in some vaguely explained way! [another couple of issues] and the future he sees is always right! [a lot more issues later] oh nevermind
No, it was "he can see as far into someone's future as he wants for up to an hour" from the start. Then the exact time being hazy the further out from the present he went, but his predictions never having been wrong previously.

Adder Moray fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Mar 4, 2020

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Also he was specifically looking for a future in which Midoriya and Togata escape with Eri, which is a future that never happens because they don’t escape. Deku fights, with Eri providing assistance in a way that Nighteye has no ability to think of. Any attempt of them escaping would lead to their death is how I took it.

Plus I think we’ve been told, admittedly by overhaul, that Eri’s quirk is reversing chronology in some absolutely complex and bizarre way. The bullets reverse human genetics to the time before quirks, Eri rewinds people into nothingness when she touches them.

But I always assumed subconscious confirmation bias from Nighteye, he sees the future based on actions people would take, if they do something otherwise unprecedented it becomes very unreliable. See the whole fight in his office where he sees the future and knows Izuku cannot defeat him, but not the context of Izuku intentionally missing every All Might Memoribilia. It’s highly possible if Izuku has decided to not limit himself in that way he could have defeated Nighteye, and Nighteye recognises this I feel on some level.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Mar 4, 2020

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

My assumption was that when he said he's tested his quirk thoroughly, he'd look into the future, see someone walk through a door, then tackle that person in the present and lock them in a room or something so them going through that specific door is impossible. Or something along those lines. But every time, fate would conspire in such a way that what he saw would come to pass anyway, no matter what obstacles he put in the way.

I imagine a guy at the head of a well known agency, who was previously a side kick to all might, has the resources and ability to test his quirk pretty thoroughly, and he definitely spent a lot of time on that considering his whole motivation was finding a way to reverse the future he saw in all might. So it kind of sucks that in the end, he just didn't believe hard enough or have enough shonen spirit or some nebulous bullshit, which obviously our hero deku is capable of surpassing without even being aware of the death prophecy. It's some really bog standard shonen garbage that I was really hoping MHA would be better than.

I think if it was as simple as "his quirk becomes unreliable when people act unpredictably" he wouldn't have gone his entire loving life without his quirk being wrong once. basically the only real answer is "his quirk was wrong that one time because it was deku, and deku is the hero of the story so rules dont apply to him if they'd get in the way of him being the hero." And that's a really unsatisfying answer to come to

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Mar 4, 2020

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Deku is the ninth exponential factor of an energy stockpiling quirk so maybe Nighteye's future vision was unable to properly observe the overwhelming energy when he went 100% for a sustained period of time

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

I think if it was as simple as "his quirk becomes unreliable when people act unpredictably" he wouldn't have gone his entire loving life without his quirk being wrong once. basically the only real answer is "his quirk was wrong that one time because it was deku, and deku is the hero of the story so rules dont apply to him if they'd get in the way of him being the hero." And that's a really unsatisfying answer to come to

I think Nighteye's Quirk would've been less annoying if it was based on probability. Shonen manga are all about that "Oh no, he has a 99.9% chance of victory!" "I'm going to bank on that 0.01%!" mentality.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

The future changed when Eri jumped into his arms.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Kild posted:

The future changed when Eri jumped into his arms.

Ultimately it’s this. Eri likely is the catalyst for Nighteye being wrong considering her power is very impossibly strong.

Also My Hero academia is incredibly stock shounen tropes, just written to a very high quality.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Eej posted:

Deku is the ninth exponential factor of an energy stockpiling quirk so maybe Nighteye's future vision was unable to properly observe the overwhelming energy when he went 100% for a sustained period of time

is there any indication that nighteye's future vision gets interfered with by, uh, "energy?"

this is "deku is the hero so the rules don't apply to him if they'd stop him from being the hero" but slightly more codified. which is cool if that helps you feel satisfied with the story, but for me it doesn't really help.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I think Nighteye's Quirk would've been less annoying if it was based on probability. Shonen manga are all about that "Oh no, he has a 99.9% chance of victory!" "I'm going to bank on that 0.01%!" mentality.

I'm now remembering the scene in Gurren Lagann where the impossibly advanced computer is told to not tell them the odds, because if there's any chance, they'll manage!

It turns out it was a 0% chance.

And they did it anyway.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The fates also thought that Nighteye was a loser and so ensured that he died knowing that his visions were fallible and it was all for nothing.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

I'm now remembering the scene in Gurren Lagann where the impossibly advanced computer is told to not tell them the odds, because if there's any chance, they'll manage!

It turns out it was a 0% chance.

And they did it anyway.

Nighteye's predictions are always right, but Deku was actually born with the quirk Sprial Power.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Junpei posted:

In a series where everyone else is all, "I must live up to the expectations these tremendous powers place upon me," or, "Reshaping society requires me to immerse myself in terrible violence," Toga's just jazzed to have a super power. She's gonna kiss all the boys, use her powers to fool all the jerks, and stab everyone who says that's wrong.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Nighteye's power only showed him the person he was concentrating on. So he saw Deku's future as if Deku were working alone.

If he'd watched Eri instead, he may or may not have seen her changing Deku's fate.

Also, yeah, Eri's powers are some weird time warp thing that could very well change Nighteye's equations.

Whatever. It doesn't matter, he's dead now.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The Overhaul Arc suffered due to all of its good directors and animators being called away to work on Heroes Rising and they're thankfully back for the School Festival, which given that we're going into a play & concert combo, is probably for the best, especially since Hori was basically dying and barely got out finished chapters around this time

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Mirage posted:

Nighteye's power only showed him the person he was concentrating on. So he saw Deku's future as if Deku were working alone.

I'm just choosing to believe Nighteye stopped watching at the part where Deku got stabbed.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Mirage posted:

i get the feeling that if such a loophole existed, it probably would've come up over, uh, a lifetime of hero work centered around using that power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Finally watched this week’s ep, and holy poo poo, Mineta’s line. :stare: You can definitely do a read that he already finds her attractive to some degree.

I’m really curious about the item that All Might used. It looked like some of that snap on armour that Batman action figures get.