Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Seattle's getting a little more serious.

No, I have no idea what this means for us, Under Her Eye.

https://twitter.com/MayorJenny/status/1235004998087348226

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

cant get coronavirus if you replace your entire biological body with machinery, i say, tapping my 10-jointed steel fingers against my sculpted temple

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

seattle superspreaders

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Very late Sunday night I posted a photo of trader joes being out of pasta

Went in today, they had a great big giant crate of pasta and probably 500 jars of pasta sauce in the entry way, nearly blocking the entry, almost making a statement

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
Anyone making a spreadsheet of all sick goons

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Real hurthling! posted:

im taking rest of week off to sit home and play yakuza 5

Please go to a doctor.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

Hadlock posted:

Very late Sunday night I posted a photo of trader joes being out of pasta

Went in today, they had a great big giant crate of pasta and probably 500 jars of pasta sauce in the entry way, nearly blocking the entry, almost making a statement

They were trying to barricade

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Banana Man posted:

Anyone making a spreadsheet of all sick goons

i'm over my cold so it probably wasn't corona-chan, take me off your list

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

not an endorsement posted:

cant get coronavirus if you replace your entire biological body with machinery, i say, tapping my 10-jointed steel fingers against my sculpted temple

my robobody looks like a trash can, moves on one large wheel, has 2 big ol bendy arms with grabbers on the end and also has a large antenna sticking out of my head

would recommend

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Mayor Dave posted:

I thought I was getting over my cold, but I still have a sore throat.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

I started coughing up yellow mucus, today. How long do I have?

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Eat This Glob posted:

lmao greetings from 80 miles from there. im sure itll get sorted out with a minimum of harassment

I wonder what kind of toilet paper they have in forced prison quarantine. Likely not as nice as you would have at home I guess

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

haven't seen dolphin post in a while...

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Thundercracker posted:

God, I used to make split pea soup with ham hocks and it was the best. Put some potatoes and carrots in there, get a nice loaf of crusty bread, mmm. Spent a week playing Mass Effect 3, smoking weed, and eating that out of out a slow cooker on the floor besides my desk and it was just heaven on Earth.

lol bad game aside ( :grin: ) that sounds like a total slummin it delight :yum:

hammy split pea is yum

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

im scared i could get corona and it will be mild and itll pass before testing is routine and available and then ill never know if I was blessed with it or not!!

gotta start spitting into a fresh sterile tube daily and preserving them in liquid nitrogen or something until then i guess i dont wanna miss the pride of having passed along corvid 19 should it happen

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
as the timeframe of contagion gets pushed further back in time, and now they even say it was spreading around Washington in Mid-January, I am becoming increasingly convinced that I had it in early january, the details of which I noted down here in excruciating detail for posterity several weeks ago

twoday posted:

Hmm, yeah, I wonder...

The first diagnosis of the virus was on December 1st, meaning that it appeared sometime in November. The next batch of diagnosed cases began a week later. These were of course people who felt so sick that they ended up going to the hospital, and it is likely that there were many other milder cases among people who didn’t seek treatment, but nevertheless would have been contagious. Now that we know a bit more about the epidemiology it seems plausible that it could have spread rather far by late December, though it wasn’t really identified as new viral outbreak until the 21st.

I live in a city that is constantly filled with tourists (especially around Christmas holidays), and home to one of the busiest international airports in the world (busier than JFK). The Saturday before Christmas I joined some friends as they shopped for Christmas gifts downtown and passed in and out of many very busy shops thronged with people. That week I also visited a few very busy markets to stock up on food for a Christmasy dinner I was planning on doing with some friends on the 26th. But it was not to be! For on the 24th I fell down an escalator and broke my wrist. I went to the hospital and got it set in a cast. Because this happened at night there weren’t many doctors on hand. The next day I got a call from them saying that a day-shift doctor had looked over my x-ray from the night before and saw that I might have also broken some bones in my hand and I had to come back to the hospital for a CT scan and further examination. This time it was busy and I spent a couple of hours there, and was in many rooms, was in physical contact with several doctors and a CT scanner, and spent time in various waiting rooms, one of which was pretty crowded. I remember there being some people coughing and one guy who looked like he had the flu, and I tried to stay away from them. I went back to the hospital a few days later to get a replacement cast and spent another hour or so there, though that time I had an appointment and I wasn’t around many people.

Because I was in pain and felt generally fragile and demoralized I mostly stayed home that week (I work from home anyway). The first cast was plaster and bulky, and didn’t fit in the sleeve of my coat, so I had to walk around with my coat open and my arm in a sling, and it was too cold for me to really go anywhere like that, though I would go out and sit on my balcony sometimes until it got too chilly. Some well-wishers came by briefly and brought me groceries, and together with what I had bought for the Christmas dinner, I had a ton of food, and no reason to shop. I remember I went to the supermarket once, but very quickly, and carefully kept a distance from everyone because I was afraid they would bump into my arm. I was invited to a New Year’s party but didn’t go because I didn’t want to go far with my arm in a sling. I stayed home the next day too because it was January 1st and there was nothing to do.

On January 2nd (9 to 13 days after I was out at all the shops and markets, and the hospital), I started feeling sick and developed a fever. It was pretty intense that night, and I turned the heat way up but still felt like I was freezing under a giant pile of blankets, and had a cold sweat and chills, and could barely get out of bed. This continued the following day. On the second to third day I developed a strong cough, though my nose was never runny and I didn’t have any upper respiratory symptoms. My throat was a bit sore, I think. A few people I know (in other cities, whom I hadn’t been in contact with) also complained of feeling really sick at the same time, and I figured there was a flu going around. The fourth day was the worst. Although the fever had subsided, I had developed a severe productive cough, and was coughing up phlegm, and had this heavy feeling in my lungs, and once or twice even a bit of difficulty breathing, and when I tried to move had to gasp for air, which was a scary feeling that I have never had before. I hadn’t had much of an appetite or eaten much the past few days, and by then I felt very weak. I was mostly drinking from a giant pot of tea I kept next to my bed, and I remember on that day it ran out and it took me a couple of hours to gather the strength to go the kitchen and refill it. The shortness of breathe and other lung-related symptoms made me feel pretty worried that I had pneumonia, because I have had it before and that was the closest thing I could compare it to, so I decided that if I was still feeling this sick the next day that I would go to the doctor. But the next day I started to feel better, so I didn’t go, and I was back to normal a few days later. However, even after the fever and weakness and malaise had passed, the cough and phlegm and heavy feeling in my lungs lingered on for a while, and that was the last symptom to clear up. In total I was sick for a week or maybe a bit more.

I thought it was just a flu, and I still think that is the most likely explanation, but my symptoms match up pretty well, and looking at all of the new info about COVID-19, I guess it’s possible that someone flew from China to here in December and spread around the virus. Whatever I had I must have caught at a market or a busy shopping street, or in the hospital, or public transport. But it seems unlikely it was corona, given what we currently know about the epidemiology. There have been no cases identified here, and if it was here one would expect it to have spread, though they didn’t start testing until weeks after I was sick. I was mostly self-quarantined for those two weeks, so that’s good, I guess.

:shrug:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Mar 4, 2020

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

Congrats on surviving!

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

ok how much for some of your blood please?

twoday
May 4, 2005

i am harry posted:

ok how much for some of your blood please?

no way to prove I had it, so my blood remains worthless

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Bulgakov posted:

im scared i could get corona and it will be mild and itll pass before testing is routine and available and then ill never know if I was blessed with it or not!!

gotta start spitting into a fresh sterile tube daily and preserving them in liquid nitrogen or something until then i guess i dont wanna miss the pride of having passed along corvid 19 should it happen

It would be nice to know for sure. I've been in a self imposed quarantine for almost a week because I'm able to and I don't want to be spreading germs. I'd still probably work from home if I was negative because Seattle is a petri dish, but it would be nice to not feel guilty going out for a beer or getting dinner with my friends

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

twoday posted:

no way to prove I had it, so my blood remains worthless

Theoretically would'nt you have the antibodies for it?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

https://twitter.com/GreatDismal/status/1235082520116342784?s=19

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Mayor Dave posted:

which bullet list?

twoday
May 4, 2005

Telsa Cola posted:

Theoretically would'nt you have the antibodies for it?

I would gladly take this test if it existed

I think the current tests work by testing for present viral levels, which is why they are able to declare that people are cured at some point

If I could take a test that proves I have antibodies to it I would be able to go on vacation to milan for like $20, please give me that test

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

twoday posted:

I would gladly take this test if it existed

I think the current tests work by testing for present viral levels, which is why they are able to declare that people are cured at some point

If I could take a test that proves I have antibodies to it I would be able to go on vacation to milan for like $20, please give me that test

Oops you had the delta strain and you just got infected with the omega strain.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

he’s 70 now, please corona-chan don’t take away gibson-senpai :(

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

the real question is what BCG vaccination have you had twoday

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
i have enough weird pron and video games to seal myself in for a year if needed

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Atrocious Joe posted:

Most Americans have not had a BCG vaccination unless they're military.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Korean Boomhauer posted:

i have enough weird pron and video games to seal myself in for a year if needed

The plan is to cum into your own mouth for sustenance?

twoday
May 4, 2005

Atrocious Joe posted:

one of the better ones, obviously

twoday fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Mar 4, 2020

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

another plague ship?

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1235091650117959683?s=21

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

twoday posted:

one of the better ones

Seriouspostin' for a second. You gave me an idea, I might have had it already too in early January. I have lots of contact with travellers from China etc. So I guess it's not completely implausible. Symptoms were as follows in order:

-Stomach discomfort with massive liquid shits out of nowhere -- seriously uncomfortable! 0/10 don't recommend
-The next day I broke out in extremely strong fever (38.7C ~ 101.8F) I got the shakes so hard that I couldn't hold a phone still to call a doctor somehow managed to pass out and not die. Yay!
-The day after that I felt like utter poo poo but dragged myself to a hospital - swab for the flu turned out negative for both A/B. Not the flu!
-They sent me home on cold meds which I didn't take and I gradually recovered after 2-3 more days of feeling like utter poo poo.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
o/` The Coof Boat... soon will be making another run.... o/`

twoday
May 4, 2005

VomitOnLino posted:

Seriouspostin' for a second. You gave me an idea, I might have had it already too in early January. I have lots of contact with travellers from China etc. So I guess it's not completely implausible. Symptoms were as follows in order:

-Stomach discomfort with massive liquid shits out of nowhere -- seriously uncomfortable! 0/10 don't recommend
-The next day I broke out in extremely strong fever (38.7C ~ 101.8F) I got the shakes so hard that I couldn't hold a phone still to call a doctor somehow managed to pass out and not die. Yay!
-The day after that I felt like utter poo poo but dragged myself to a hospital - swab for the flu turned out negative for both A/B. Not the flu!
-They sent me home on cold meds which I didn't take and I gradually recovered after 2-3 more days of feeling like utter poo poo.

I was shaking like a motherfucker, very shaky. I’ve definitely sweated more with the flu but I was pretty sweaty this time too. Didn’t take my temperature but it was a strong fever

Hmmm yeah :shrug:

How were your lungs? Were you sneezing? Did you cough up nasty stuff?

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
https://twitter.com/ericuman/status/1234987363643691009

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I didn't realize the seas were full of these guys

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
my mother-in-law is asking me if I think she should cancel the cruise she has planned coming up in a couple of months

the cruise terminal is in seattle :ohdear:

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

twoday posted:

I was shaking like a motherfucker, very shaky. I’ve definitely sweated more with the flu but I was pretty sweaty this time too. Didn’t take my temperature but it was a strong fever

Hmmm yeah :shrug:

How were your lungs? Were you sneezing? Did you cough up nasty stuff?

I was sneezing a lot and wheezing a lot - but I didn't have a cough as far as I recall.
But I felt very cold... even in the shower

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
the answer depends entirely on how much you like your mother-in-law