Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Also not skipping Wisconsin or Michigan as campaign stops would be a plus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Who had a Robert Morrow redemption arc in their 2020 predictions?

https://twitter.com/lmcgaughy/status/1235030225727016960

Redemption, of course, being another term for 'more of the same, except now big anime titties for kids'

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Handsome Ralph posted:

Also not skipping Wisconsin or Michigan as campaign stops would be a plus.

I know the actual complaint is that she didn't devote *enough* time to Michigan, which is true, but it always does kind of bug me when people post like she never visited once. I was there! I saw her with my own eyes! I'm not insane, I swear!

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

The only way to beat a bad-guy with a mush-mouth dementia is a good-guy with a mush-mouth dementia :colbert:

Should at least make for a hilarious debate.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
gently caress Biden and gently caress all Democrats who voted in the primary for that gently caress. If he wanted it he should've ran in 2016, but he didn't, so he should shut the gently caress up and go home.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

So someone explain things to me - seems Biden picked up more than Sanders. Two questions - was it enough to overcome his lead, and is Sanders done?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

So someone explain things to me - seems Biden picked up more than Sanders. Two questions - was it enough to overcome his lead, and is Sanders done?

We won’t actually know until all the counting is done in California which may take a couple of weeks.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Bored As gently caress posted:

gently caress Biden and gently caress all Democrats who voted in the primary for that gently caress. If he wanted it he should've ran in 2016, but he didn't, so he should shut the gently caress up and go home.

this is the third time he's run for president

never wait until retirement age to pursue your dreams

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

No, it's looking like there is likely going to be a brokered democratic convention because no one candidate has picked up a clear majority. What exactly that leads to is still up in the air (though it could be a Biden nomination).

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

What's that?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Nobody gets a clear majority so super-delegates are released to vote however they want to choose the winner.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

bird food bathtub posted:

Nobody gets a clear majority so super-delegates are released to vote Biden.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
If it goes down to Biden vs Trump, Trump is going to win.

Get ready for 4 more years baby.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

bird food bathtub posted:

super-delegates are released to vote however they want to choose the winner.

What are superdelegates

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

What are superdelegates

democratic party members who are given the special rights to cast votes at the convention however they want, as compared to regular delegates who represent the state they come from and vote according to the primary results in that state

e: correction

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Why is your election system so loving Byzantine

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

What are superdelegates

"Party elders" that are wise stewards of our country acting in the best interests of everyone by choosing the candidate most suited to the long term health of our democracy.

Or something.

Look, stop asking obviously the party knows best.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Anyway what I think it comes down to is that the biggest priority to most Dems isn't to rock the boat, but to beat Trump, and in spite of everything Biden is still broadly seen as the most electable choice.

And the sad thing is, I kinda get it. Anecdotal, obviously, but I know for a fact my dad and grandparents would never go for Sanders and would likely stay home if he's the nominee... but my grandparents like Biden, and my Republican-leaning dad could probably be convinced. And even my mom, who voted for Bernie in the 2016 primary, is going for Biden instead of Bernie this time around (And that's after I had to convince her not to vote for Bloomberg). Sanders is a good man with good ideas, but far, far too many people are incensed with giving people anything "for free." And while Sanders' argument is he can turn out people who wouldn't otherwise vote... if it's not happening in the primary to the level necessary to defeat loving Joe Biden, then I have serious doubts it would happen in the general.

Sanders still has a good chance to win, and by this point I'll definitely be voting for him in the Michigan primary next week, but it is immensely disappointing how fervently this country resists even modest progress.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

that's federalism baybeeeee

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

to make sure they aren't actually elections

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

the more layers the less control actual voters have over the process

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Christ. Our country is truly hosed. Even if we get Biden, it'll just be less lovely, but still lovely. No green new deal. No dealing with climate change as an existential threat. It'll be four years of Biden reaching across the aisle while the GOP just throws poo poo all over him and obstructs everything. He's completely out of touch.

This isn't the GOP of the 80s or 90s where poo poo could kind-of, sort-of get done while only loving over the poors and minorities a little less than the GOP would like. The fact that he spent 8 years as VP, head of the loving Senate when McConnell obstructed literally everything, and STILL doesn't get it, shows how out of touch he is.

Climate apocalypse 2020.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Bored As gently caress posted:

Christ. Our country is truly hosed. Even if we get Biden, it'll just be less lovely, but still lovely. No green new deal. No dealing with climate change as an existential threat. It'll be four years of Biden reaching across the aisle while the GOP just throws poo poo all over him and obstructs everything. He's completely out of touch.

This isn't the GOP of the 80s or 90s where poo poo could kind-of, sort-of get done while only loving over the poors and minorities a little less than the GOP would like. The fact that he spent 8 years as VP, head of the loving Senate when McConnell obstructed literally everything, and STILL doesn't get it, shows how out of touch he is.

Climate apocalypse 2020.

Biden probably still thinks that Mitch McConnell is a good guy deep down.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Because nobody listened to George Washington.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
https://twitter.com/Inc02/status/1235056888183533568?s=20

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

If Biden gets the nomination and loses the election, whoever wrote the Diamond Joe articles needs to be put on trial.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Fister Roboto posted:

If Biden gets the nomination and loses the election, whoever wrote the Diamond Joe articles needs to be put on trial.

Reporter: "So to what would you most attribute the destruction of Western Society in the early 2020s?"

Interviewee: "It was the Biden memes. Biden Memes from the 2010s. We didn't know HOW WERE WE SUPPOSED TO KNO-"

*is crushed by a CBP terminator*

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Because the dems are loving idiots.

wikicrapia posted:

After the 1968 Democratic National Convention, at which pro-Vietnam War liberal Hubert Humphrey was nominated for the presidency despite not running in a single primary election, the Democratic Party made changes in its delegate selection process to correct what was seen as "illusory" control of the nomination process by primary voters.[10] A commission headed by South Dakota Senator George McGovern and Minnesota Representative Donald M. Fraser met in 1969 and 1970 to make the composition of the Democratic Party's nominating convention less subject to control by party leaders and more responsive to the votes cast in primary elections.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
is there even a non zero chance Biden beats Trump

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Longevity and intra party politics. What is described there isnt even a set of rules of laws mandated by our government, but rather rules meant to administrate and organization that collects and manipulates political power to its members ideals--a party.

Byzantium was the heir to the Roman Empire up until the 15th century meaning its beauracracy had a pretty continuous 18 centuries since first becoming a dominant power to convolute. America's had less time, but these things happen at a much faster pace these days.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

So is there still any chance Bernie can get the nomination, or are we going to have to vote for another dementia patient?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I'm not American, but I'm guessing no. He's leading Sanders by about 80 delegates last I checked, and the only way the DNC were ever going to let Sanders have the nom is if he had more than half of the delegates. 1991+

Biden would basically have to stop winning conservative states at this point for that to happen, so even if the bernster pulls ahead, it seems unlikely that the inevitable brokered convention would give him the Nom.

Even if Biden has a stroke, they will likely bring in a 3rd candidate to run (and lose).

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

GoGoGadget posted:

So is there still any chance Bernie can get the nomination, or are we going to have to vote for another dementia patient?

There's a slim but significant chance, imo. Obviously Bernie's not doing as well as he was a week ago, but he's still doing quite a bit better than he was in 2016.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The only way that Bernie comes out ahead in a brokered convention is if the people voting in the convention realize that there is no way to negotiate with the death cult that is the republican party and their trying to negotiate is what has been causing Democrats to get their teeth kicked in every time they try.

Won't happen because the :decorum: wing for some strange reason has a lot of power, even though :decorum: hasn't gotten democrats a loving thing since the 80s

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

I wonder if trump saw that tweet

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1235138684791422976?s=19

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

E: nvm

Woofer fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Mar 4, 2020

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Acebuckeye13 posted:

my Republican-leaning dad could probably be convinced.

get a hold of yourself

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
They're going to run Biden. He's going to lose.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

US Berder Patrol posted:

They're going to run Biden. He's going to lose.

:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

US Berder Patrol posted:

get a hold of yourself

I mean he's outright told me this, so