Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

docbeard posted:

I am occasionally tempted to install the full Sandrah Saga and dive headfirst into the abyss.

Occasionally.

If I ever get tempted to do a Let's Play it'll be about the Sandrah Saga, I'm so loving curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Vichan posted:

If I ever get tempted to do a Let's Play it'll be about the Sandrah Saga, I'm so loving curious.

The Sandrah Saga started after I stopped being involved with the modding community, so I'd be all in to see the trainwreck.

I've heard magical things about it, but the likes of Chloe, Saerileth, and the Imoen Romance are a tough bar to clear.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

docbeard posted:

I've used it and it works. Bear in mind it's maintained by an, um, interesting person and there are reports of her doing stealth edits to mods and such so buyer beware. I think ProfessorCirno did an effortpost about all this at some point not long ago.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Yeah, the short version is "it works mostly the same as Big World Setup but minus a decent amount of the cruft, but uh, watch out for Sandrah mod and everything connected to it."

The full effort post is here, and it's worth reading the thread for a bit after as well.

I expected nothing less from the Baldur's Gate modding community that has spawned such wonders as Saerileth and the Imoen romance. Frankly, keeping something like EET Setup functioning and updated is a herculean and thankless task, so it makes total sense that it's also vanity project by a somewhat crazy modder.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
i was surfing around for companion mods the other day and the imoen romance has apparently been rewritten from scratch? which isn't to say i'm gonna play it. :s

Zane fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 3, 2020

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

It's listed as incompatible with practically every other mod in the EET set-up, and I was wondering if they were just trying to do players a favour and keep them from making a horrible mistake.

E: I googled out of curiosity and I can't see if it's been redone (how that would fix something that is by definition incest, I don't know) and I found nothing, except for an archive of fanfiction dedicated to it :barf:

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 4, 2020

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I am playing Durlag's Tower for the first time.

I appreciate the intricacy of the dungeon and the overall design.

But holy gently caress. gently caress the traps in this dungeon.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

An invisible thief clearing everything beforehand is your greatest asset.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I appreciate how awesome the design of these levels are.

But then they're full of absolute bullshit traps, ridiculously strong monsters and some overly obtuse puzzles. God bless those who managed to do this poo poo without a walkthrough.

If it was in BG2, this'd make much more sense, but it's such a leap in difficulty.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hahahhahaha okay gently caress this chessboard bullshit.

Hello Shadowkeeper. Yes. I would like to give everybody a wand of fire.

What the gently caress is that poo poo about?!

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
There's a fair number of exploding arrows around there right?

That's how I got past that part. gently caress the chess board, fireballs, fire potions, fire wand and exploding arrows until the other side is a wasteland.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Mr. Prokosch posted:

That's how I got past that part. gently caress the chess board, fireballs, fire potions, fire wand and exploding arrows until the other side is a wasteland.

This, and do it outside of their area of vision.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Fruits of the sea posted:

Hey, so I see the Big World Setup thingy has been superseded by the EET install tool. Anybody tried it out?

I’ve used it and it’s not worth it. The idea is cool, but there’s these little bugs and glitches everywhere that, after 40 hours in BG1 made the game unplayable. I don’t think it’s worth it. But YMMV.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Mr. Prokosch posted:

There are, but I couldn't go back for them.

Durlag's Tower is like a Kaizo Romhack of Baldur's Gate. The dungeons were made by somebody who knew what they were doing, then a dickhead laid traps, chessboards and battle horrors everywhere.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'm still working my evil playthrough and around halfway through Chapter 2/BG2. Had that dope as Rakshasa fight in Trademeet/Druid Grove, and instead of starting the conversation, I just back stabbed the woman for 106 damage and she exploded. Kensai/Thief with 5 *s in quarterstaff is loving amazing!

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

H13 posted:

There are, but I couldn't go back for them.

Durlag's Tower is like a Kaizo Romhack of Baldur's Gate. The dungeons were made by somebody who knew what they were doing, then a dickhead laid traps, chessboards and battle horrors everywhere.

Here's the thing about durlags tower:

It's perfectly fair. An invisible thief can handle all the traps. A tank fighter can handle battle horrors, skeleton warriors, and so on.

Scrolls of protection from undead trivialize the entire 3rd floor basement.

The durlags boss cheats, but it's at least a bossfight so whatever.

The unfair thing about durlags is not the tower at all. It's what happens when you clear it. God help you if you don't know what's coming, and are playing a class that can't wear a helmet.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

FairGame posted:

Here's the thing about durlags tower:

It's perfectly fair. An invisible thief can handle all the traps. A tank fighter can handle battle horrors, skeleton warriors, and so on.

Scrolls of protection from undead trivialize the entire 3rd floor basement.

The durlags boss cheats, but it's at least a bossfight so whatever.

The unfair thing about durlags is not the tower at all. It's what happens when you clear it. God help you if you don't know what's coming, and are playing a class that can't wear a helmet.

Okay, I'm not up to that bit. I stopped last night after the chessboard so I can't wait to see what happens next.

The poo poo bit is that unless you KNOW all those things in advance, you're going to have a very bad time. I think to enjoy Durlag's tower you need to know everything about it, including all puzzle solutions and vaguely where the traps are in order to enjoy it.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

H13 posted:

Okay, I'm not up to that bit. I stopped last night after the chessboard so I can't wait to see what happens next.

The poo poo bit is that unless you KNOW all those things in advance, you're going to have a very bad time. I think to enjoy Durlag's tower you need to know everything about it, including all puzzle solutions and vaguely where the traps are in order to enjoy it.

There are so many traps in Durlag's Tower that even though I've beaten it probably a dozen times, I don't have it memorized.

Where are the traps in Durlag's Tower? EVERYWHERE, so just assume that and creep along with an invisible thief. FWIW the game does give you SOME clues; most of the nastiest traps in Durlag's tend to have a skeleton (not the enemy, like part of the background artwork) or a pile of dead bodies right next to them. If you realize that it's not just the game trying to give you "ooh, spooky" artwork and take it for the hint of "these people died right here; guess what did it" you'll avoid the things that'll kill you.

To each their own, but Durlag's Tower is my favorite thing in the entire series. Watcher's Keep in BG2 is good too but I just don't enjoy high-level D&D as much as I do mid-level D&D.

e: my favorite trap in Durlag's is the crossbow bolt trap that instead of hitting you once, like a normal bolt trap, fires like 20 times. Just a REAL dick move in an ironman game. Definitely handled it once by putting on the boots of speed, dashing as far as I could from the trap origin, and drinking a regen potion and hoping that I'd regen faster than it took the bolts to travel to my dude.

FairGame fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 4, 2020

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The stupid door puzzle in Durlag's always annoyed me more than the chess board or the traps. It felt less like a challenge and more like the tower was just wasting my time.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
Durlag’s throws so many Potions of Master Thievery at you that you should never not find a trap.

e: after my first time through the chessboard I just equip everyone with wands of fire and potions of explosion and get on with my life on all other playthroughs lol.

cigaw fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 4, 2020

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I have never done the chess battle following whatever rules you're supposed to do; I have no idea how that works. From the first time twenty years ago to now, I said "huh, I'll bet there's stuff on the other end of the chessboard" and necklace of missiles/potions of explosion/wand of fire'd my way to victory.

Maybe it's Shining Force 2's awful chess battle that caused me to seek out a better solution than playing by the rules

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The chess battle strikes me as something that the devs didn't have time to implement properly, or they couldn't figure out how. I don't think it's actually possible to do it "correctly" because the AI certainly doesn't

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Yeah the only strategies worth doing on the chessboard are the "everyone gets a nuke" one where everyone gets potions/arrows of detonations, necklace of missiles, wands of fire, etc and just vaporizes the other side of the board in one giant alpha strike, or if you're not running with a full party and so don't have enough nukes, the "invincibility to lightning" one where you just get everyone up to 100% lightning resistance and then just run around randomly triggering all the lightning bolts that are supposed to punish you for moving wrong. The enemies aren't immune to lightning so they end up dead real quick from all the lightning bouncing everywhere.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Mzbundifund posted:

Yeah the only strategies worth doing on the chessboard are the "everyone gets a nuke" one where everyone gets potions/arrows of detonations, necklace of missiles, wands of fire, etc and just vaporizes the other side of the board in one giant alpha strike, or if you're not running with a full party and so don't have enough nukes, the "invincibility to lightning" one where you just get everyone up to 100% lightning resistance and then just run around randomly triggering all the lightning bolts that are supposed to punish you for moving wrong. The enemies aren't immune to lightning so they end up dead real quick from all the lightning bouncing everywhere.

Not if you've enabled the tweak pack option to stop lightning bolts from bouncing because you're tired of wiping the party when you set off that trap you forget to disarm :smug:

Bitch Twinkles
Nov 5, 2007

HAVE COURAGE PLAY ST MODE
Aw man, has Beamdog said anything about the text constantly bugging out on the console versions of Planescape Torment? I had struggled as far as meeting Pharod before I said gently caress it.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I got stuck in Durlag’s Tower when I couldn’t figure out the “open a door, another door closes” puzzle and it sounds like it’s even worse after that

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
THERE WE loving GO.

Cleared the tower. Killed the Demonknight without breaking the mirror so it was 6v1.

His absolutely insanely strong fireballs killed Khalid and Jaheira. Imoen's poisoned arrow finished him off like a bitch while I ran my hasted rear end out of range to drink some potions.

What a gently caress.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

H13 posted:

THERE WE loving GO.

Cleared the tower. Killed the Demonknight without breaking the mirror so it was 6v1.

His absolutely insanely strong fireballs killed Khalid and Jaheira. Imoen's poisoned arrow finished him off like a bitch while I ran my hasted rear end out of range to drink some potions.

What a gently caress.

Just wait until you get to the real end fight of that quest-line!

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Lol I did said end fight last night, had never actually bothered doing any of the Ulgoth's stuff before for whatever reason.

That was a kick in the dick.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Psycho Landlord posted:

Lol I did said end fight last night, had never actually bothered doing any of the Ulgoth's stuff before for whatever reason.

That was a kick in the dick.

I've never successfully completed it without most of my party dying. I know there's a few ways to reliably beat it, but by that point in the game I'm ready to move on to BG2.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Invisibility potions, like the spell, last for 12 hours, so my usual strategy is to just move to the nearest area, chug or cast as much invisibility as I need before I travel to Ulgoth's, and open the fight on my own terms. Probably involving a bunch of fireballs since by this point my party is usually just an array of wands on legs.

Alternative options involve a single helmet-wearing fire-immune non-invisible tank to "collect" the "customers".

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

The enemies aren't immune to lightning

They're not...goddammit, SCS.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

chaosapiant posted:

I've never successfully completed it without most of my party dying. I know there's a few ways to reliably beat it, but by that point in the game I'm ready to move on to BG2.

Turns out potions of mirror eye take care of the main gently caress you, after that it was just a lot of exploding and running my squishier characters around the room. First couple of attempts were def me getting hosed over hard though.

E:VVVV :unsmigghh:

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 5, 2020

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Okay, I beat the Demonknight, teleported to the surface, saved and quit for the night.

I don't know what you fucks are talking about but it's doing a fine job of making me poo poo myself in paranoia.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

H13 posted:

Okay, I beat the Demonknight, teleported to the surface, saved and quit for the night.

I don't know what you fucks are talking about but it's doing a fine job of making me poo poo myself in paranoia.

Don't worry! The internet will help you when ...it happens...

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
The level 2 arcane spell of invisibility lasts 24 hours. Baldur's Gate is 16 hours from Ulgoth's Beard.

Potions of magic shielding (the automatic saves ones) last 3 turns (30 rounds) and stop Aec'Letec's death gaze, silence AND paralysis. All you have to worry about is his formidable damage output. If he picks on someone in particular you can just send them back upstairs and he won't follow.

As for killing him, the more warriors you have the faster it goes (cloudkill is CHEATING :mad: ). Drink the best potions of giant strength you got along with potions of heroism/power and oils of speed. Chop him up.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Speaking of invisibility... is my memory bad or did they nerf the piss out of the Ring of Invisibility from original BG to the EE? I'm talking about the one that's blue-green and has a gap in the band.

Suspicious posted:

Potions of magic shielding (the automatic saves ones) last 3 turns (30 rounds) and stop Aec'Letec's death gaze, silence AND paralysis. All you have to worry about is his formidable damage output. If he picks on someone in particular you can just send them back upstairs and he won't follow.

I didn't know this; thank you. Always found that guy to be a proper PitA.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hahahahaha okay yeah it happened.

What the gently caress was that?! Seriously, that fight is bullshit.

I bought the ring of invisibility. I had 2 scrolls of Cloudkill. I sent Dyanheir downstairs while she was invisible by herself and fumigated that basement.

Like the chessboard, I think that fight is only feasible if you cheese the gently caress out of it. I hate those fights. The internet told me that death gaze can be dispelled, but the rate he spits that poo poo out meant that my one mage couldn't keep up. Tough poo poo if he death-gazed my PC as well.

I'm playing on TuTu. I'm wondering if that's making some of this poo poo harder than usual.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Welcome to Ulgoth's Beard, enjoy your stay.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I've beaten BG2 on core rules before. I think that fight was harder than anything I've ever done in BG2.

A regular Tanar'ri would've been an appropriate "gently caress you" challenge at that point. To give him that death gaze bullshit was just dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

H13 posted:

Hahahahaha okay yeah it happened.

What the gently caress was that?! Seriously, that fight is bullshit.

I bought the ring of invisibility. I had 2 scrolls of Cloudkill. I sent Dyanheir downstairs while she was invisible by herself and fumigated that basement.

Like the chessboard, I think that fight is only feasible if you cheese the gently caress out of it. I hate those fights. The internet told me that death gaze can be dispelled, but the rate he spits that poo poo out meant that my one mage couldn't keep up. Tough poo poo if he death-gazed my PC as well.

I'm playing on TuTu. I'm wondering if that's making some of this poo poo harder than usual.

Why the hell aren’t you playing the EEs? They’re phenomenal!