Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Camrath posted:

All bags of fudge cost £3.50; get a box of five for £15! Postage costs for up to a kilogram are £3.55; for larger orders please ask. 🙂
How much does a box/bag weigh?

Angepain posted:

hmm lads, i've decided this man has a terrible disease due to his nationality. let's all engage in prolonged physical contact with him and his blood. this is a good plan
They didn't actually think the guy had the virus it was just a convenient excuse to do violence.

Edit: dog tax

Pilchenstein fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Camrath posted:

And this month’s goon special: ‘The Great Divider’, made with the dreaded Terry’s Chocolate Orange.

What's the story behind this?

Mebh
May 10, 2010

My local Chinese & amazing chip shop has had utter poo poo business since all the outbreak news and it makes me mad. Its run by a single ancient Chinese dude who's always sneaking me extra chips and random amazing fried things or asking if I want to try a new dish.

I've been there 4x this last week and I've been the only person in every time. :ohdear:

Meanwhile I'm asthmatic, the wife is diabetic with a mother in the USA with no health insurance. Still can't get the nerds at work to wash their drat hands after the toilet though. People were laughing that I have a giant thing of alcohol sanitiser on my desk today.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
someone I used to work with in retail had alcohol sanitiser because she was convinced currency was an insane source of all sorts of contagions, I always thought she was being overzealous but eh who knows now

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lungboy posted:

What's the story behind this?

Some counterrevolutionary elements within our thread have questioned the validity of the chocolate orange as a tool of revolutionary struggle. I have suggested to the commissariat that such revisionist ideology ought to be purged, however as yet no action has been taken.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

ThomasPaine posted:

someone I used to work with in retail had alcohol sanitiser because she was convinced currency was an insane source of all sorts of contagions, I always thought she was being overzealous but eh who knows now

She's not wrong:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24571076

quote:

Future Microbiol. 2014;9(2):249-61. doi: 10.2217/fmb.13.161.
Paper money and coins as potential vectors of transmissible disease.
Angelakis E1, Azhar EI, Bibi F, Yasir M, Al-Ghamdi AK, Ashshi AM, Elshemi AG, Raoult D.
Author information
Abstract
Paper currency and coins may be a public health risk when associated with the simultaneous handling of food and could lead to the spread of nosocomial infections. Banknotes recovered from hospitals may be highly contaminated by Staphylococcus aureus. Salmonella species, Escherichia coli and S. aureus are commonly isolated from banknotes from food outlets. Laboratory simulations revealed that methicillin-resistant S. aureus can easily survive on coins, whereas E. coli, Salmonella species and viruses, including human influenza virus, Norovirus, Rhinovirus, hepatitis A virus, and Rotavirus, can be transmitted through hand contact. Large-scale, 16S rRNA, metagenomic studies and culturomics have the capacity to dramatically expand the known diversity of bacteria and viruses on money and fomites. This review summarizes the latest research on the potential of paper currency and coins to serve as sources of pathogenic agents.

Unfortunately I do not have access to the full paper. Perhaps our resident microbiologist does?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

ThomasPaine posted:

I'm genuinely worried for the sizable number of Chinese (and Asian in general, because yes racism) students in Britain, and in particular the significant number who don't speak particularly great English and can't effectively communicate particularly under duress. They don't deserve the inevitable poo poo that's going to be flung at them as a result of the coronavirus stuff. Even outside of that, the reception we give them as a nation is loving embarrassing when compared to how westerners are treated over there in general.

Yeah my friend's Chinese dad has had a big decline in customers at the restaurant he works at, and has had people moving away from him on buses and the like.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Pilchenstein posted:

How much does a box/bag weigh?

Each bag is 100g; a box is 500g total.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

marktheando posted:

Yeah my friend's Chinese dad has had a big decline in customers at the restaurant he works at, and has had people moving away from him on buses and the like.

I'm trying to make a point to sit nearby Asian people on public transport as a result of this kind of stuff, obviously not in a big dramatic way. No idea if it's appreciated, but eh

Camrath posted:

Each bag is 100g; a box is 500g total.

Does your fudge use gluten at all? Billionaire's shortbread sounds great but I'd rather not poo poo myself lol

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/life/generation-must-start-thinking-others-stop-spread-coronavirus/

quote:

'Generation Me' must start thinking about others if we're to stop the spread of coronavirus

Anybody got access to this, I want to get good and angry at the woman who claimed the kid lying on the floor in A&E was faked.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

RockyB posted:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/life/generation-must-start-thinking-others-stop-spread-coronavirus/

Anybody got access to this, I want to get good and angry at the woman who claimed the kid lying on the floor in A&E was faked.

Try opening in an incognito tab and mashing escape as soon as the page starts to load. I'm reading it without subscribing.

quote:

You can tell that this coronavirus thing has got serious. Not because the Prime Minister yesterday published a “battle plan”, but because the French have banned kissing. That doesn’t mean giving up snogging their mistresses, obviously. There are limits to the sacrifices anyone can reasonably be expected to make. But those two-cheek pecks for acquaintances have been suspended, as is the Anglo-Saxon handshake, while governments and virologists figure out whether we’ll all be dead in six weeks, or should press pause on that holiday.

Meanwhile, we are supposed to tap feet or bump elbows to greet one another and generally carry on like a scout unit trying to master Ging Gang Goolie.

Not me. Frankly, I was damned if I was going to panic. No way would I be scouring the internet for a stupid face-mask that offered little or no protection. As for global markets, they were showing a pathetic lack of gumption. A few thousands people catch a cold from bat soup in China and the Dow Jones is in intensive care before you can say, “Bless you!”

What is wrong with people? In the West, life is so comfortable that we have forgotten what real peril is and the merest wrinkle turns into a mountain range.

Bang on cue, my favourite New York hypochondriac Facetimed me to share a personal triumph. Sheryl told me that she had managed to purchase five hazmat suits to protect her immediate family from the coronavirus.

“What, not those weird decontamination outfits they wear alien films?” I asked.

“Yeah, those. You think I’m ridiculous, right?”

“No, err, is hazmat kosher?”

Yes, of course I thought she was being ridiculous. And then I went to Waitrose. Picking up some hand sanitiser seemed like a sensible precaution, particularly as I was heading into London where escalator handrails have been touched by a million clammy mitts. The shelves were not just empty, they appeared to have been recently ransacked. Nearby soap dispensers were all cleaned out as well. It was eerie. The feeling of relief that surged through me when I found one remaining anti-bacterial liquid which, in the melee, had found its way into the shampoos, was almost overwhelming.

This competitive fear of not being fearful enough – or less well-protected than others - took me by surprise. Covid-19 is highly contagious, but so is panic. Overnight, I became obsessive. I bought rubbing alcohol to sterilise our electronic devices. I used my my sleeve to open doors. I lectured my family on washing their hands. The touching sight of a line of women at the basins in the John Lewis loos, all silently mouthing the first verse of God Save the Queen as they soaped fingers and thumbs, was proof that I was not alone. We were all doing our bit.

But it was more than that. Faced with this new threat, something atavistic kicked in. People started stockpiling food and medical supplies. Shortages meant higher prices. One London pharmacy was caught selling a £1.99 hand sanitizer for just under thirty quid. When I managed to bag a box of antimicrobial wipes at vast expense on Amazon, I actually found myself gloating. After all, antimicrobial is SO superior to antibacterial for combatting corona!

What on earth had got into me? I was behaving exactly like the kind of selfish, panic-stricken nightmare I usually despise.

The fact is the coronavirus presents us with a challenge that is as much about the duty we owe to one another as it is about preventing its spread. The two are intimately linked. To keep down the number of fatalities, those of us who are stronger are going to have to put the interests of the weakest first. Britons will need to show stoicism, patience and resourcefulness - virtues we may suspect are in short supply if not extinct. Is our selfish, highly individualistic, me-me-me society up to meeting that challenge?

Despite what you may have read, this is neither the Black Death nor one of those terrifying fevers that carried off Thomas Cromwell’s wife and small daughters in Hilary Mantel’s Wolf Hall trilogy. Covid-19 may be making headlines, but what they don’t tell you is that many thousands who have already had it are now fully recovered. Seasonal influenza kills between 290,000 and 650,00 people worldwide each year. There are 90,000 coronavirus cases so far, with about 3,000 deaths.

The latter does seem to have a higher fatality rate, but some groups are a lot more vulnerable than others. Eight out of ten people who get corona will have only a mild illness. (Worth bearing in mind when you are engaged in a fight to the death for the last packet of Nurofen). Children rarely catch it, thank goodness. The people at the greatest risk are the elderly and those with compromised immune systems.

To be blunt, if a generally healthy person with symptoms of the coronavirus turns up at A&E demanding treatment, chances are they will infect a vulnerable person – perhaps someone undergoing chemotherapy - who won’t be able to fight it off. Such hospital places as are available should rightfully belong to the very sick and older people who will need all the help they can get. As Marc Lipsitch, the director of the US’s Center for Communicable Disease Dynamics, puts it: “The emphasis has shifted from stopping them from infecting us to stopping us from infecting each other.”

Can the “Me” generation, who have never been denied anything in their privileged lives, be relied upon to self-isolate or will they start whingeing how “stressy” it all is when the authorities try to curtail their freedom to even a minor degree? The first person to get coronavirus in North Korea was shot. An option some of us might wish was available here when that thoughtless prat on the train coughs enthusiastically over his elderly neighbour.

I’m afraid that the current mumps epidemic shows what we’re up against. Two of my friend’s children, both in their twenties, are among the thousands of students who have suffered in the past year from this horrible disease. Mumps had largely died out, but there was a fall in the uptake of the MMR vaccine in the Nineties, when the current generation of students was born. My friend’s son and daughter were both vaccinated, but it turns out that wasn’t enough to protect them against this resurgent strain.

Those of us who obediently did as we were told, now see our own youngsters put in danger by those self-righteous anti-vaxxers who watched alarmist videos online and decided they knew better than the medical establishment. Their little darlings would be protected, or so they thought, because enough responsible parents would make sure their children had the jab and thus guarantee herd immunity.

Only it hasn’t worked out like that. Believing that not vaccinating little Harry or Hettie is more important than the chance they could get measles, give it to a pregnant woman and blind her unborn baby, is the height of selfish individualism - one of the most aggressive and incurable sicknesses of the modern age.

Well, the coronavirus now demands that we take one for the herd. If we all do as we’re told to by the Chief Medical Officer, if we pull together, follow sensible advice and modify our behaviour; if we accept that our non-emergency operation may be cancelled because doctors and nurses are needed elsewhere, then countless lives will be saved. Even if everyone just washed their hands it would reduce the spread of infection by over half. That’s an awful lot of beloved grandparents not put in mortal danger.

It’s up to the younger and the stronger now to repay the sacrifices of the older generation with sacrifices of their own. To prove that, when it really matters, the “Me” generation can become “Us”. Too many lives are in their sanitised hands.

Allison Pearson's columns are published on telegraph.co.uk at 7pm every Tuesday.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

RockyB posted:

quote:

You can tell that this coronavirus thing has got serious. Not because the Prime Minister yesterday published a “battle plan”, but because the French have banned kissing. That doesn’t mean giving up snogging their mistresses, obviously. There are limits to the sacrifices anyone can reasonably be expected to make. But those two-cheek pecks for acquaintances have been suspended, as is the Anglo-Saxon handshake, while governments and virologists figure out whether we’ll all be dead in six weeks, or should press pause on that holiday.

Meanwhile, we are supposed to tap feet or bump elbows to greet one another and generally carry on like a scout unit trying to master Ging Gang Goolie.

Not me. Frankly, I was damned if I was going to panic. No way would I be scouring the internet for a stupid face-mask that offered little or no protection. As for global markets, they were showing a pathetic lack of gumption. A few thousands people catch a cold from bat soup in China and the Dow Jones is in intensive care before you can say, “Bless you!”

What is wrong with people? In the West, life is so comfortable that we have forgotten what real peril is and the merest wrinkle turns into a mountain range.

Bang on cue, my favourite New York hypochondriac Facetimed me to share a personal triumph. Sheryl told me that she had managed to purchase five hazmat suits to protect her immediate family from the coronavirus.

“What, not those weird decontamination outfits they wear alien films?” I asked.

“Yeah, those. You think I’m ridiculous, right?”

“No, err, is hazmat kosher?”

Yes, of course I thought she was being ridiculous. And then I went to Waitrose. Picking up some hand sanitiser seemed like a sensible precaution, particularly as I was heading into London where escalator handrails have been touched by a million clammy mitts. The shelves were not just empty, they appeared to have been recently ransacked. Nearby soap dispensers were all cleaned out as well. It was eerie. The feeling of relief that surged through me when I found one remaining anti-bacterial liquid which, in the melee, had found its way into the shampoos, was almost overwhelming.
Coronavirus fatality rate

This competitive fear of not being fearful enough – or less well-protected than others - took me by surprise. Covid-19 is highly contagious, but so is panic. Overnight, I became obsessive. I bought rubbing alcohol to sterilise our electronic devices. I used my my sleeve to open doors. I lectured my family on washing their hands. The touching sight of a line of women at the basins in the John Lewis loos, all silently mouthing the first verse of God Save the Queen as they soaped fingers and thumbs, was proof that I was not alone. We were all doing our bit.

But it was more than that. Faced with this new threat, something atavistic kicked in. People started stockpiling food and medical supplies. Shortages meant higher prices. One London pharmacy was caught selling a £1.99 hand sanitizer for just under thirty quid. When I managed to bag a box of antimicrobial wipes at vast expense on Amazon, I actually found myself gloating. After all, antimicrobial is SO superior to antibacterial for combatting corona!

What on earth had got into me? I was behaving exactly like the kind of selfish, panic-stricken nightmare I usually despise.

The fact is the coronavirus presents us with a challenge that is as much about the duty we owe to one another as it is about preventing its spread. The two are intimately linked. To keep down the number of fatalities, those of us who are stronger are going to have to put the interests of the weakest first. Britons will need to show stoicism, patience and resourcefulness - virtues we may suspect are in short supply if not extinct. Is our selfish, highly individualistic, me-me-me society up to meeting that challenge?

Despite what you may have read, this is neither the Black Death nor one of those terrifying fevers that carried off Thomas Cromwell’s wife and small daughters in Hilary Mantel’s Wolf Hall trilogy. Covid-19 may be making headlines, but what they don’t tell you is that many thousands who have already had it are now fully recovered. Seasonal influenza kills between 290,000 and 650,00 people worldwide each year. There are 90,000 coronavirus cases so far, with about 3,000 deaths.

The latter does seem to have a higher fatality rate, but some groups are a lot more vulnerable than others. Eight out of ten people who get corona will have only a mild illness. (Worth bearing in mind when you are engaged in a fight to the death for the last packet of Nurofen). Children rarely catch it, thank goodness. The people at the greatest risk are the elderly and those with compromised immune systems.

To be blunt, if a generally healthy person with symptoms of the coronavirus turns up at A&E demanding treatment, chances are they will infect a vulnerable person – perhaps someone undergoing chemotherapy - who won’t be able to fight it off. Such hospital places as are available should rightfully belong to the very sick and older people who will need all the help they can get. As Marc Lipsitch, the director of the US’s Center for Communicable Disease Dynamics, puts it: “The emphasis has shifted from stopping them from infecting us to stopping us from infecting each other.”

Can the “Me” generation, who have never been denied anything in their privileged lives, be relied upon to self-isolate or will they start whingeing how “stressy” it all is when the authorities try to curtail their freedom to even a minor degree? The first person to get coronavirus in North Korea was shot. An option some of us might wish was available here when that thoughtless prat on the train coughs enthusiastically over his elderly neighbour.

I’m afraid that the current mumps epidemic shows what we’re up against. Two of my friend’s children, both in their twenties, are among the thousands of students who have suffered in the past year from this horrible disease. Mumps had largely died out, but there was a fall in the uptake of the MMR vaccine in the Nineties, when the current generation of students was born. My friend’s son and daughter were both vaccinated, but it turns out that wasn’t enough to protect them against this resurgent strain.

Those of us who obediently did as we were told, now see our own youngsters put in danger by those self-righteous anti-vaxxers who watched alarmist videos online and decided they knew better than the medical establishment. Their little darlings would be protected, or so they thought, because enough responsible parents would make sure their children had the jab and thus guarantee herd immunity.

Only it hasn’t worked out like that. Believing that not vaccinating little Harry or Hettie is more important than the chance they could get measles, give it to a pregnant woman and blind her unborn baby, is the height of selfish individualism - one of the most aggressive and incurable sicknesses of the modern age.

Well, the coronavirus now demands that we take one for the herd. If we all do as we’re told to by the Chief Medical Officer, if we pull together, follow sensible advice and modify our behaviour; if we accept that our non-emergency operation may be cancelled because doctors and nurses are needed elsewhere, then countless lives will be saved. Even if everyone just washed their hands it would reduce the spread of infection by over half. That’s an awful lot of beloved grandparents not put in mortal danger.

It’s up to the younger and the stronger now to repay the sacrifices of the older generation with sacrifices of their own. To prove that, when it really matters, the “Me” generation can become “Us”. Too many lives are in their sanitised hands.

Allison Pearson's columns are published on telegraph.co.uk at 7pm every Tuesday.

The telegraph is a bad website because you can bypass the paywall by halting the page load half way through. I am not going to read the article because my preferred form of cognitohazard causes nightmares, not ulcers, but have fun!

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

The telegraph is a bad website because you can bypass the paywall by halting the page load half way through.

I like to imagine that this is the result of some fifth column communists in their IT department

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I suspect it's because the only people who would read it do not know how does computer, therefore the solution is good enough.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

ThomasPaine posted:

I'm trying to make a point to sit nearby Asian people on public transport as a result of this kind of stuff, obviously not in a big dramatic way. No idea if it's appreciated, but eh

Does your fudge use gluten at all? Billionaire's shortbread sounds great but I'd rather not poo poo myself lol

Afraid that the Billionaire’s shortbread does contain gluten. None of the other flavours this month do though! (While gluten is used in the kitchen for other purposes, I make sure to avoid cross contamination).

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

She was actually right, and food service workers are specifically meant not to handle food after handling cash without first washing their hands for exactly this reason.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

OwlFancier posted:

I suspect it's because the only people who would read it do not know how does computer, therefore the solution is good enough.

Up until recently you could read the Independent premium without registering by right clicking, view page source, copy an pasting into notetab lite, pressing the 'remove all html tags' to remove all the crud (which is why I say Notetab Lite' - not aware of another free text editor that will easily zap all the html crud) and then read it.
They seemed to have tightened up though I've managed to catch a couple.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I've read rather more of that article than I would have liked and I'm still not quite sure who the gently caress she thinks is "generation me"

like, my assumption was it was going to be a boomer slagging off young people because it's the telegraph and the last paragraph or so pretty much confirms it

quote:

this bit also seems like it's going in that direction, as the irony appears unintentional

quote:

Can the “Me” generation, who have never been denied anything in their privileged lives, be relied upon to self-isolate or will they start whingeing how “stressy” it all is when the authorities try to curtail their freedom to even a minor degree? 

the only thing that doesn't quite fit with it being millennials or generation z is the bit about mid-90s antivaxxers and the consequences

is it Gen X? that's generation me?

but then why the bit about stressiness which seems like a snowflake thing??

also

quote:

The touching sight of a line of women at the basins in the John Lewis loos, all silently mouthing the first verse of God Save the Queen as they soaped fingers and thumbs, was proof that I was not alone. We were all doing our bit.
a hideous scene

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Up until recently you could read the Independent premium without registering by right clicking, view page source, copy an pasting into notetab lite, pressing the 'remove all html tags' to remove all the crud (which is why I say Notetab Lite' - not aware of another free text editor that will easily zap all the html crud) and then read it.

Firefox either lets you, or as a function of one the plugins, possibly the ad blocker, go through pages in real time and disable elements, quite handy for blocker techniques that don't actually prevent the data from loading.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Camrath posted:

Awooga! Awooga! Fudjit is now open for March orders!

Following on from feedback we’re introducing a new flavour and bringing back a couple of old favourites!

March flavours:

Original Vanilla

Milk Chocolate

Unicorn Barf - marshmallows both melted into this and sprinkled on top with crunchy sugar unicorns. A favourite amongst our younger customers!

Billionaire’s Shortbread - As ever, as dense as the heart of a dying star. Just like millionaire’s shortbread only much richer!

Rum and Raisin - A new flavour, due to popular demand!

And this month’s goon special: ‘The Great Divider’, made with the dreaded Terry’s Chocolate Orange.

All bags of fudge cost £3.50; get a box of five for £15! Postage costs for up to a kilogram are £3.55; for larger orders please ask. 🙂

As always, please drop us a message here or to Fudjit.orders@gmail.com to place an order. Payment is accepted via PayPal or direct bank transfer 🙂

All orders will ship on Thursday March 26th

Oh and anyone with ideas how to make non-disgusting monster munch fudge, I am all ears ;)

Hello yes I would like to place an order for one (1) short tonne of fudge please and thank you!

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Of course it opens up with snarky bullshit about the French for no goddamn reason

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Not looking good for Bernie. Which means not looking good for us I guess. It was nice to dream of a world where those American medical companies didn't exist and so couldn't feast upon our vulnerable brexited bones.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Ms Adequate posted:

Hello yes I would like to place an order for one (1) short tonne of fudge please and thank you!

Okay, that will be £27,210 plus shipping (guessing you’ll want to hire an articulated lorry).

Afraid there may be a slight lead time for production though.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Regarde Aduck posted:

Not looking good for Bernie. Which means not looking good for us I guess. It was nice to dream of a world where those American medical companies didn't exist and so couldn't feast upon our vulnerable brexited bones.

TBH President Bernie would only make the situation worse for us because those American healthcare companies (which already have their claws in the NHS) would throw everything they have at cracking it open in order to replace the profits lost in the US.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ThomasPaine posted:

Why are you asking, when it's about 95% sugar by weight?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

TIBFBS

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Prince John posted:

In the words of my generation:

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I am sad about all of this. I would just like a win, and it feels like people who are older and more comfortable just don't want to hear about anything which makes them feel bad/ asks them to change. It's sad and it feels like there is nothing I can do.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

goddamnedtwisto posted:

TBH President Bernie would only make the situation worse for us because those American healthcare companies (which already have their claws in the NHS) would throw everything they have at cracking it open in order to replace the profits lost in the US.

Lol how naive

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

OwlFancier posted:

Some counterrevolutionary elements within our thread have questioned the validity of the chocolate orange as a tool of revolutionary struggle. I have suggested to the commissariat that such revisionist ideology ought to be purged, however as yet no action has been taken.

Chocolate Orange supremecy! Down with the non-believers!

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

If you want to read it so badly couldn't you just I dunno buy the newspaper?

Josef bugman posted:

it feels like people who are older and more comfortable just don't want to hear about anything which makes them feel bad/ asks them to change

I think this is pretty accurate. Like Biden got smashed by the under thirties or whatever the demographic is but the last thing people want is a bunch of snot nosed kids telling them they've been doing it all wrong all this time. If Bernie was less popular with young voters it might actually serve him better overall, as it is Biden seems to have provided an easy out for people.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

If you want to read it so badly couldn't you just I dunno buy the newspaper?

quote:

The last printed edition was published on Saturday 26 March 2016, leaving only the online edition

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Lungboy posted:

Chocolate Orange supremecy! Down with the non-believers!

:wrong:

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

And yet you have a Chocolate Orange avatar! I am very smart.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

mrpwase posted:

And yet you have a Chocolate Orange avatar! I am very smart.

Oof, you got me where it hurts (right in the chocolate orange)

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Mebh posted:

Still can't get the nerds at work to wash their drat hands after the toilet though. People were laughing that I have a giant thing of alcohol sanitiser on my desk today.

I know 'IT nerds don't know how to wash' is a cliche but gently caress me the ones at my work are appalling. I've seen one of them sneeze on his monitor and leave the snot to dry on the screen, seen one put his hand down inside the back of his trousers for a good rummage then use that same hand to touch everything in the communal kitchen while making tea, and several who open-mouth crunch and chew crisps while shout-talking at the same time and spray wet crumbs around everywhere. The worst one carried a Greggs pasty in the paper bag into the bathroom, put it on the floor, then emerged and went straight out without flushing or washing their hands all in the time that I was washing my own.

jackhunter64 fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Mar 6, 2020

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

jackhunter64 posted:

The worst one carried a Greggs pasty in the paper bag into the bathroom, put it on the floor,

Could have been worse.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

Telegraph posted:

Not Me. Us.

Telegraph's Bernie Sanders endorsement is in the bag.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

The telegraph is a bad website because you can bypass the paywall by halting the page load half way through. I am not going to read the article because my preferred form of cognitohazard causes nightmares, not ulcers, but have fun!

quote:

Hmm this sounds like Socialism to me The Telegraph, are we sure that the weakest couldn't just get a job with less viruses if they were that worried? The last thing we want is a bunch of people setting up some sort of society that would interfere with the market.

XMNN posted:

I've read rather more of that article than I would have liked and I'm still not quite sure who the gently caress she thinks is "generation me"

is it Gen X? that's generation me?
It's the generation from the people that made this to the people that listened to it in their late teens/early 20s and went :aaaaa::
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzLpRXX_K8I

So early 70s to early 80s. Or the children of flower children as my nan would put it (excluding any of us of course, because reasons).

Jedit posted:

Why are you asking, when it's about 95% sugar by weight?
Sometimes people have allergies or intolerances that are triggered by things at ~0.005% by weight.

Unrelated to all this:

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

you can do f12 to get into dev tools, go into the Console tab and type document.body.innerText and that should do the same thing (might depend on the level of malarkey)