Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

baka kaba posted:

you can do f12 to get into dev tools, go into the Console tab and type document.body.innerText and that should do the same thing (might depend on the level of malarkey)

In true modern software development style, I prefer outsourcing all the technical work to randos on the Internet.

E: BEWARE THE IDES OF UKMT MARCH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Going into the toilets at work after lunch is like a scene out of Backdraft. As I found moving up here, people either are vegetarian, or don't eat vegetables.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

baka kaba posted:

(might depend on the level of malarkey)
ok boomer

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
https://twitter.com/JimMFelton/status/1234956828594835457

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

^^^ ok I love a bit of rubberbandits cosplay but max respect to someone who'll actually step up and go to work with a bin on their head

yeah we're in a high malarkey situation right now :/

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
That Torygraph article is like Modern Conservative Values Bingo.

1) The creepy, fashy idea (seen also as a justification for austerity, Brexit and a whole lot else) that the modern world is too soft and decadent and we (the people who write these things never actually mean We, they mean Other/Poorer people) need to have a bit of hardship back in their lives for their own good. I heard this deployed re:Brexit in a "that's all just project fear but even if it did happen it would be a good thing, modern generations are too pampered with their holidays, exotix fruits and iphones...' way. I was gonna say it's amazing that there's now political currency in literally saying 'We Will Make Things Worse' but people only actually hear 'We Will Make Things Worse For People Not Like You', which is as old as the hills.

2) The weird disconnect between conservative policies and their outcomes. Guess what? Four decades of pushing an individualistic, self-centred, short-termist, no-such-thing-as-society ideology leads to people being less altruistic, communal and outward-looking than they might have been in the 50s and 60s. Surprise! This is just that thing where modern (Thatcher onwards) conservative economic policy is directly hostile to the older social side of conservatism that a lot of the party's voters still think is part of its core values. Hence the appeal of the Big Society, where you could replace social services with charity bake sales on the village green. Except that no one has time to bake, no one knows their neighbours personally and the village green has been sold to Persimmon.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Maybe if we keep destroying society then people will build their own to replace it in times of hardship that we created. :thunk:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Every time I see pictures from his campaign I hear the theme from Arrested Development :parrot:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

Sometimes people have allergies or intolerances that are triggered by things at ~0.005% by weight.

Yeah, but TPaine is diabetic and it sounds like he's talking about eating it himself.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Jedit posted:

Yeah, but TPaine is diabetic and it sounds like he's talking about eating it himself.

That's why we milk pigs for insulin, so we can eat the sweet, sweet Goon fudge.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Boris Johnson is backing the UK out of the European Patent Court, which we agreed to join last year (signatory: Johnson, B). Nobody was consulted, least of all UK patent lawyers who were quite looking forward to us hosting one of the three planned courts.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I think this is pretty accurate. Like Biden got smashed by the under thirties or whatever the demographic is but the last thing people want is a bunch of snot nosed kids telling them they've been doing it all wrong all this time. If Bernie was less popular with young voters it might actually serve him better overall, as it is Biden seems to have provided an easy out for people.

I don't get this. Why don't older people ever seem to want to change/ improve? If someone was telling me something was wrong I would at least listen.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

baka kaba posted:

you can do f12 to get into dev tools, go into the Console tab and type document.body.innerText and that should do the same thing (might depend on the level of malarkey)

Thanks for that - seems to work.
(But also the page I tried it on just now loaded so slowly that I did the stop the page loading trick and that worked too - but stopping trick didn't work on another one).

NotJustANumber99 posted:

If you want to read it so badly couldn't you just I dunno buy the newspaper?

(a) it's only available online now
(b) it's only the occasional premium article I want to read - and quite often there's only an extra paragraph after the paywall.

I suppose technically it's stealing which troubles my conscience a little but I just can't afford to buy all these online newspapers just for the odd article here and there. I ought to make more effort to go to the library or get the library's app working on my computer.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Mar 4, 2020

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Josef bugman posted:

I don't get this. Why don't older people ever seem to want to change/ improve? If someone was telling me something was wrong I would at least listen.

It would mean them, even subconsciously, acknowledging that a lot of they've done and voted for in the last 20-40 years (certainly in the post-cold-war period) was at least in some measure wrong. That a lot of the certainties they were raised with, and many of the things that brought them to the current level of (relative, not everyone etc etc) comfort was on the back others who got shafted. You know how hard that is for people?

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I suppose technically it's stealing which troubles my conscience a little [...]

My personal morals around this are "stealing is only bad if it affects people". Corporations are fair game.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Josef bugman posted:

I think a lot of it is fear. They think they know how 'the system' works (or have been boiling frogged into it) but change brings uncertainty which means mental energy having to be spent on yet another thing. I have always thought that the Thatcherite 'freedoms' (choose your kid's school, choose your hospital, choose your GP, choose your dentist etc), worrying about pensions, or your funeral costs and so on, is about keeping people so bogged down in daily minutiae that they don't have the mental energy to be worrying about what their Lords and Masters are up to.

If you could send your kids to any school, go to any hospital, get NHS treatment at any dentist, and all those services were very good in every place, your mind would be freed up.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Mar 4, 2020

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Hey i know we have a lot of twitter followers in this thread so maybe one of you will know.

Is there a way to "subscribe" to a twitter account so i get an email when they post something, similar to the notification option you get on YouTube?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

Because you don't get to be old, generally, by doubting yourself. Most people get there by cruising around on autopilot their entire lives and never actually being challenged on their dumb impulses.

You are an uncommonly self questioning person.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Josef bugman posted:

It's easier to assume things are just fine, so you never have to question anything - including your own attitudes and choices. It gives you a pass to ignore anything you don't like (it's/they're wrong), to be as mean or uncaring as you like (it's their own fault they deserve it), and never feel really challenged or responsible or like you're ignorant of anything

we have a culture that impresses a bunch of behaviours on people as they grow up - admitting you're wrong means you're flawed, not knowing a thing is a weakness, knowing your place and being content with your lot and never demanding more. That's changed over time, which is why people from older generations get scared and angry when that reality they've grown up with gets challenged by younger generations who don't seem to accept all this stuff and behave according to it. Not only is it hard to accept these ideas, there's also the fact that it opens up the possibility that you're wrong and didn't know things which are ideas they've been conditioned to reject

So there's a lot of cognitive dissonance there and the easy out is to just smile and say nope, it's all good, lazy millennials it's their own fault etc. Someone was posting in the Super Tuesday thread about this idea that when someone promises young people the electoral opportunity to change things and make their lives better, their parents and grandparents will turn out in force to crush them. And I think there's something to that, there's an forceful reaction that happens when a narrative starts to get traction, and it's not just about fighting for a particular political ideology - it's a response to a changing world too, people fighting to keep themselves at the centre of it

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Hey i know we have a lot of twitter followers in this thread so maybe one of you will know.

Is there a way to "subscribe" to a twitter account so i get an email when they post something, similar to the notification option you get on YouTube?

Once you follow someone, there should be a bell icon that appears next to the button that allows you to get notifications.

Don't think there is an email option though.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

^^^ you might be able to do something like this but I've never used IFTTT I just know it does that kind of thing

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Thanks for that - seems to work.
(But also the page I tried it on just now loaded so slowly that I did the stop the page loading trick and that worked too - but stopping trick didn't work on another one)

yeah, any smart site is gonna do something where the full article content doesn't load until you're authenticated or whatever - but if they load it all and then try to hide stuff in the display, you can pull some tricks to get at it. the dev tools in browsers now are super powerful, you can probably hack your bank because they also make bad sites

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Mar 4, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah IFTTT is good for simple stuff like that, and plays well with Twitter's API. Just don't expect it to do anything fancy like IF there's a new tweet from a specific username AND [something else] THEN email unless you have a developer account.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I suppose technically it's stealing which troubles my conscience a little but I just can't afford to buy all these online newspapers just for the odd article here and there. I ought to make more effort to go to the library or get the library's app working on my computer.

Have you considered that all property is theft?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah IFTTT is good for simple stuff like that, and plays well with Twitter's API. Just don't expect it to do anything fancy like IF there's a new tweet from a specific username AND [something else] THEN email unless you have a developer account.

what about "AND tweet is bad"??

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

mehall posted:

Have you considered that all property is theft?

Good point. In which case I am a big thief already .. looks round living room .....

I was just thinking (yes, really) maybe they could have a pay per article as in say 5p or thereabouts and cap it at the monthly cost.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

baka kaba posted:

what about "AND tweet is bad"??
You don't need an AND with an always true condition.

triangular man
Feb 13, 2015

Sorry if this has been thoroughly discussed, I'm always about 50 pages behind in this thread.

I've got my ballot for the leadership vote and I'm not sure what happens if you leave someone off your list? Will not placing Starmer anywhere mean he doesn't get any points or does it just put him as my 3rd choice?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Not placing him anywhere means that your ballot can never be a vote for him.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

triangular man posted:

Sorry if this has been thoroughly discussed, I'm always about 50 pages behind in this thread.

I've got my ballot for the leadership vote and I'm not sure what happens if you leave someone off your list? Will not placing Starmer anywhere mean he doesn't get any points or does it just put him as my 3rd choice?

I think it just means that if your first choice loses the round, and you haven't put a second or third choice, then there are fewer votes going into second / third round.
I just put RLB - couldn't decide between Nandy or Starmer. So just means if RLB doesn't get through round 1, that's it for my leader votes. (I still think Starmer will win round 1 because of all the £25 entryists).

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I think it just means that if your first choice loses the round, and you haven't put a second or third choice, then there are fewer votes going into second / third round.
I just put RLB - couldn't decide between Nandy or Starmer. So just means if RLB doesn't get through round 1, that's it for my leader votes. (I still think Starmer will win round 1 because of all the £25 entryists).

I'm afraid he'll get in on full membership votes, the liberalism is deep in the party membership.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Democrats went all in on voter suppression in poor areas yesterday

https://twitter.com/edlavaCNN/status/1235107988798488583?s=19

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Prince John posted:

Try opening in an incognito tab and mashing escape as soon as the page starts to load. I'm reading it without subscribing.

What a pompous windbag.

XMNN posted:

I've read rather more of that article than I would have liked and I'm still not quite sure who the gently caress she thinks is "generation me"

It's me-llenials and you know it, regardless of how little sense that makes.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

IFTTT is cool for some novelties but I wouldn't rely on it for anything. My Applet to change my phone wallpaper to the NASA image of the day rarely works. But it does turn my lights out at sunrise.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

baka kaba posted:

So there's a lot of cognitive dissonance there and the easy out is to just smile and say nope, it's all good, lazy millennials it's their own fault etc. Someone was posting in the Super Tuesday thread about this idea that when someone promises young people the electoral opportunity to change things and make their lives better, their parents and grandparents will turn out in force to crush them. And I think there's something to that, there's an forceful reaction that happens when a narrative starts to get traction, and it's not just about fighting for a particular political ideology - it's a response to a changing world too, people fighting to keep themselves at the centre of it

It is a shame. If we have the option to do this, I hope we as a generation don't.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

She's not wrong:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24571076

Unfortunately I do not have access to the full paper. Perhaps our resident microbiologist does?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3vd052fdurm2a0c/fmb.13.161.pdf?dl=0

Short version, money bad, paper money very bad, coins less bad depending on the amount of copper in them.

Notes that have been through a hospital probably have MRSA contamination.

Wash your hands!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Aramoro posted:

IFTTT is cool for some novelties but I wouldn't rely on it for anything. My Applet to change my phone wallpaper to the NASA image of the day rarely works. But it does turn my lights out at sunrise.
Sure, I wouldn't run a security system or medical equipment on it, but it's well enough integrated with Twitter and Facebook to do IF I've just posted a long rant on Facebook THEN Tweet a link to a bunch of extremely online people who care, or whatever.

And if it only sends me 6 urgent email alerts instead of 20 every time Shaun Lawson publicly sharts his pants it's not like a great loss.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Jose posted:

Democrats went all in on voter suppression in poor areas yesterday

https://twitter.com/edlavaCNN/status/1235107988798488583?s=19
7hrs wtf

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Aramoro posted:

I want to say there's a version of the Muzei app that will do NASA images, though I don't remember if it uses the current image of the day or not.

A quick google also found me this forum thread https://forum.joaoapps.com/index.php?resources/set-home-and-lock-screen-wallpapers-from-different-nasa-images-of-the-day.194/, which may or may not be overkill.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Saros posted:

Short version, money bad, paper money very bad, coins less bad depending on the amount of copper in them.
:anarchists:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Apparently the government sneaked up a consultation on cracking down on travellers back in November.

https://twitter.com/giacbelloli/status/1235122117508624384?s=19

Please take a look at this and answer as best you can to help protect one of the most marginalised and denigrated communities in the UK.
If you're unsure how to answer good for them, check out the second tweet, it has a link to some tips.