Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Tighclops posted:

All I asked was if nobody's playing the good Halos then why do they expect any kind of success with a new one, what the gently caress

It will be bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Halo Infinite has been losing critical staff members, hasn't been marketed at all, has had no leaks, no teasers, nothing. Compare that to DOOM: Eternal.

That game is going to flop so incredibly hard that the belly whack against the surface of the water is going to be heard in orbit.

It'll be the Anthem of its year.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lunethex posted:

Halo Infinite has been losing critical staff members, hasn't been marketed at all, has had no leaks, no teasers, nothing. Compare that to DOOM: Eternal.

That game is going to flop so incredibly hard that the belly whack against the surface of the water is going to be heard in orbit.

It'll be the Anthem of its year.

No, being the Anthem would require it to have some amount of excitement and hype.

Its going to release like a fart in the wind and nobody's going to even remark on how stinky it was.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I figured they wanted Halo to be a silently sort of good/fun game and not blow billions in marketing since they know the campaign is gonna be dogshit. Like titanfall 2, just be successful enough to have a viable shooter alternative for this iteration of games.

Halo 5 was fun MP. Different, but fun.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

jokes posted:

Halo 5 was fun MP. Different, but fun.

Definitely was better than Halo 4 MP. But they got greedy pushing the micro-transactions too hard and it left a bad taste in everybody's mouth.

Also too many different ideas, arena and warzone and reqs just got weird. Arena was decent though, and Warzone wasn't a terrible idea just a bad implementation. Needed more balance passes.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Once Halo's 2 and 3 release the population count will be higher and steady. not a lot of people liked Reach's multiplayer compared to Halo 2 and 3

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

My theory is that pc games have a lot more competition for player's time. Any time playing halo reach on pc is time spent not playing Dota, counter strike, Overwatch, Garry's mod, you know the list goes on and on.

On consoles there's actually not that many compared to pc where there's probably people playing the old doom and quake games.

So player counts on pc dwindle really fast. Console call of duty sustain a lot higher % of players than pc over time since launch. I wouldn't be surprised if the Xbox players for mcc are 5-10x the number of pc players (and to be fair, Xbox has all the halos now)

As for halo infinite, it's gonna be on gamepass so I'll at least check it out. Gamepass is a really good reason to have an Xbox these days, I can play effectively giant demos of games like metro exodus, gears 5 or Dmc5 and buy them on my platform of choice (ps4)

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I played a shitload of Halo 4 MP and had a great time, it was just Halo to me

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
weapon drops were a disgrace, especially since they made weapons despawn super super fast to try and prevent it from making there be too many power weapons in matches. (it didn't work.)
you could kill someone who had a power weapon, walk over to their body, and it would already be gone.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ineffiable posted:

My theory is that pc games have a lot more competition for player's time. Any time playing halo reach on pc is time spent not playing Dota, counter strike, Overwatch, Garry's mod, you know the list goes on and on.

On consoles there's actually not that many compared to pc where there's probably people playing the old doom and quake games.

So player counts on pc dwindle really fast. Console call of duty sustain a lot higher % of players than pc over time since launch. I wouldn't be surprised if the Xbox players for mcc are 5-10x the number of pc players (and to be fair, Xbox has all the halos now)

As for halo infinite, it's gonna be on gamepass so I'll at least check it out. Gamepass is a really good reason to have an Xbox these days, I can play effectively giant demos of games like metro exodus, gears 5 or Dmc5 and buy them on my platform of choice (ps4)

I dunno about the idea that "consoles don't have many games"

There's always some other game you can be playing, regardless of platform

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
There's apparently now a Microsoft Store entry for Halo 1, at least in some territories, and a new trailer has been uploaded, so presumably it'll have a release date pretty soon-like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLHR61cjQAQ

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
Halo Combat Evolved is out today: https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/03/03/halo-combat-evolved-anniversary-available-now-for-pc-with-the-master-chief-collection/

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
:getin:

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Can someone confirm if the audio issues for Reach's campaign were fixed? I don't feel like re-downloading this mess only to just be all :mad:

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Can someone confirm if the audio issues for Reach's campaign were fixed? I don't feel like re-downloading this mess only to just be all :mad:

Still in progress, they're working with the company that wrote the sound drivers the original reach used.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

They're working on it.

Combat evolved hasn't got the same issue, though the plasma charge sounds a bit wonky.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

The Halo CE multiplayer options are pretty disappointing right now. The only competitive option is 2v2 harcore slayer (which is a great mode) but there is no 4v4 or any sort of competitive ctf for Halo CE. I was also unable to get a custom game running with other people.

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe
For those who don't know, like i didn't and just went into the game to play Halo CE, you have to go into the game and choose for it to be installed. The auto-update in Steam does NOT install Halo CE. It said 6.5 gb for me in the actual game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Frustrated posted:

The Halo CE multiplayer options are pretty disappointing right now. The only competitive option is 2v2 harcore slayer (which is a great mode) but there is no 4v4 or any sort of competitive ctf for Halo CE. I was also unable to get a custom game running with other people.

OTOH I've been playing 4v4 Halo 1 casuals all day doing slayer and CTF and its good times

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs
Just played the pillar of autumn on halo CE. It's so good man, I would have payed $40 just for halo CE.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Just started a Legendary playthrough of CE.

The plasma pistol is so hilariously broken. I don't know if its because of frame rate, playing with a mouse, or the audio but you can fire it as fast as Jackal Majors could in the old game.

That is, if you mash the trigger its like full auto and the recharge time is nothing. The audio glitches out while its venting to sound like it's charging and you can keep on shooting.

I'm up to Truth and Reconciliation, and I shredded the gold elites with swords after the lift, and an overcharge will kill any of the invisible dudes in one hit- and if you time it right, by firing just before the overcharge maxes out, you can fire it almost straight away.

Try it, its amazing.

e: Just noticing something else that's become super apparent on Silent Cartographer. I don't remember enemy grunts being so drat grenade happy while friendly AI throws none. Anybody else notice this?

Animal Friend fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Mar 4, 2020

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Odd posted:

For those who don't know, like i didn't and just went into the game to play Halo CE, you have to go into the game and choose for it to be installed. The auto-update in Steam does NOT install Halo CE. It said 6.5 gb for me in the actual game.

I had this too and couldn't figure it out.

I did the auto update, went into the game, got the "no joy" message and selected the CE edition in the cusomt install menu. then gently caress all happened.

I quit the game and there was an update pending in steam for it at the 6.5GB you mentioned. Except it wasn't doing anything and i couldn't force start it. I ended up coming back to it 10 minutes later and spamming the download start button before it finally kicked in.

Are you supposed to do it all in game or some poo poo?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Kin posted:

I had this too and couldn't figure it out.

I did the auto update, went into the game, got the "no joy" message and selected the CE edition in the cusomt install menu. then gently caress all happened.

I quit the game and there was an update pending in steam for it at the 6.5GB you mentioned. Except it wasn't doing anything and i couldn't force start it. I ended up coming back to it 10 minutes later and spamming the download start button before it finally kicked in.

Are you supposed to do it all in game or some poo poo?

You can probably install it by going to DLC in steam like always. But you can also install it through the game.

There's both single player for halo 1 and multi player for halo 1, are you sure you checked both in-game?

That said, its kinda dumb it doesn't auto-patch it.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Yeah checked both and then jumped through the menus. I couldn't see a prompt for it downloading or a progress bar or anything like that. Was I supposed to?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Started playing the Halo CE:A campaign today. Shaders are still broken from the original gearbox port.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Kin posted:

Yeah checked both and then jumped through the menus. I couldn't see a prompt for it downloading or a progress bar or anything like that. Was I supposed to?

You have to hit like, "update preferences" or whatever below the selection before it starts downloading. There's a progress bar at the top middle of the screen while it's going, and it still goes in the background and such. I played a little Firefight while I waited.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Only two bugs I found playing Halo: CEA all the way through, one of which was mentioned - the plasma pistol charge sound effect plays randomly and during the 2nd mission, one of the dropships has no sound attached to it at the first set of marines.

Also drat these par times are super tight. I wonder if they expect you to do a lot of glitching and poo poo, so far I'm always within only like 2-3 minutes of the limit. Also also, the achievements are all super buggy which probably isn't surprising.

edit: also I neglected to be really positive about the game because I am. It's such a step up from Reach. Every single weapon sounds and feels great compared to the complete shitshow that was Reach's arsenal. There is something super special about having the AR and just mowing down legions of Grunts or gunning down an elite, and that's also because these weapons have impact they tend to ragdoll enemies.

And the Shotgun, holy poo poo. The shotgun is so blessed. It helps that every weapon is useful. Except the Needler, which, whatever. I bet it's different in every game, definitely sucks the root in :CE. I tried using it multiple times and the projectile speed is just shite.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Mar 4, 2020

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Lunethex posted:

Only two bugs I found playing Halo: CEA all the way through, one of which was mentioned - the plasma pistol charge sound effect plays randomly and during the 2nd mission, one of the dropships has no sound attached to it at the first set of marines.

Also drat these par times are super tight. I wonder if they expect you to do a lot of glitching and poo poo, so far I'm always within only like 2-3 minutes of the limit. Also also, the achievements are all super buggy which probably isn't surprising.

edit: also I neglected to be really positive about the game because I am. It's such a step up from Reach. Every single weapon sounds and feels great compared to the complete shitshow that was Reach's arsenal. There is something super special about having the AR and just mowing down legions of Grunts or gunning down an elite, and that's also because these weapons have impact they tend to ragdoll enemies.

And the Shotgun, holy poo poo. The shotgun is so blessed. It helps that every weapon is useful. Except the Needler, which, whatever. I bet it's different in every game, definitely sucks the root in :CE. I tried using it multiple times and the projectile speed is just shite.

Needler actually owns at taking down elites, and in wave battles super-combines will cause chain explosions with grenades on the ground. The slow speed and homing means you can strafe and angle fire and get around enemy cover at medium range.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

OTOH I've been playing 4v4 Halo 1 casuals all day doing slayer and CTF and its good times

I figured it out. You have to select halo CE in the social menu and then one of the first couple of options. They all still list Halo Reach weapons as starting so I thought those were options for reach. The menu is just trash.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Actually the best part of Halo CE is pitching 8 nuclear bombs a full mile away

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

So I'm a little puzzled, because it says on the Steam entry for Halo:CE "You require the base game Halo the Master chief collection to play this game."

But it also looks like you can just buy it as a stand-alone?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Deptfordx posted:

So I'm a little puzzled, because it says on the Steam entry for Halo:CE "You require the base game Halo the Master chief collection to play this game."

But it also looks like you can just buy it as a stand-alone?

The Halo MCC is basically just a launcher and each game a DLC.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Ah, thanks

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Actually the best part of Halo CE is pitching 8 nuclear bombs a full mile away

Nothing is better than sticking a grunt with a grenade, having him yell "NOO OOO OO" and running into his team and exploding, and then all the dropped grenades explode.

Did Bungie actually develop Reach? Or was that 343? Because drat. They did everything wrong gameplay-wise in that one.

Pursued by bees
Jan 1, 2013

heartful of fire
with no one left to tell
Bungie did, but they handed it over to 343 some time after launch iirc. I think it's pretty universally agreed that the game went in a worse direction immediately afterwards.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Pursued by bees posted:

Bungie did, but they handed it over to 343 some time after launch iirc. I think it's pretty universally agreed that the game went in a worse direction immediately afterwards.

Well, at least they started with it first. It'd have been the wettest fart to end the staggered releases on. Can't wait to see Halo 2 and especially 3, but Halo: CE is gonna be good mindless fun for a while. Too bad there's no Firefight-like mode for it though, that'd own.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

343 hosed up Reach's multi, but the single player was all Bungie.
They tried a lot of new things, some of which worked, some didn't. I appreciate the story and trying to evolve the series beyond Halo 1-3, but I do think Halo 1-3 are the tighter focused and balanced games.

Also holy poo poo can I just say playing through Halo 1 I really miss when the story was grounded military sci-fi and not EPIC FANTASY BULLSHIT like it is now with the loving power rangers squad that Locke is on.
The conversation between Cortana and Foehammer is so realistic, it feels like modern day marines who just happen to be fighting in space:

Foehammer: "This is Pelican Echo 419. Anybody readin' me? Repeat. Any UNSC personnel respond."

Cortana: "Roger, Echo 419. This is Fire Team Charlie. We read you 5-by-5. That you, Foe Hammer?"

Foehammer: "Roger, Fire Team Charlie. Good to hear from ya."

Cortana: "Foe Hammer, we need you to disengage your Warthog. The Master Chief and I are going to see if we can save some soldiers."

Foehammer: "Roger, Cortana. Okay, Charlie Team, Warthog deployed. Saddle up and give 'em hell."

Cortana: "Roger, Foe Hammer. Stand by to evac survivors and transport them to safety."

Foehammer: "That's affirmative. Echo 419 staying on station. Foe Hammer out."

The way they identify themselves first as "Echo 419" and "Fireteam Charlie", then go on to recognize each other's voices as Cortana and Foehammer (which is a badass callsign btw) and the way throughout they're very straight and curt with each other on the radio, waste no time, use "Roger" and "Affirmative", just feels very real.

Compare that to the garbage dialogue throughout Halo 4 and 5 and its loving NIGHT and DAY.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
Man, the spawns in CE are uh

Not great to say the least. Feels like about 80% of the time I spawn right next to an enemy, facing away from them.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ablative posted:

Man, the spawns in CE are uh

Not great to say the least. Feels like about 80% of the time I spawn right next to an enemy, facing away from them.

Most maps I've played on its been okay, but I did play a game of Longest which was loving hilarious with the spawns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

Instant Sunrise posted:

Started playing the Halo CE:A campaign today. Shaders are still broken from the original gearbox port.

Ah, is that why the first level looks so godawful and washed-out? I booted it up just to make sure it worked, and it looked like someone left fullbright on for the map.